Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38825 [85]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [15]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [13]
Given Kudos: 392
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [3]
Given Kudos: 29
WE:Account Management (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: Metals, pigments and other chemical substances used by ancient culture [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Splits :

Both of vs Of both :

Of both is correct. B & D are out.

Option E "the use of toxic lead" is wrong. Out.

A : "Demonstrates" is singular. Out.

Option C : Correct.

Originally posted by Vishvesh88 on 23 Sep 2016, 23:26.
Last edited by Vishvesh88 on 25 Sep 2016, 10:23, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [3]
Given Kudos: 116
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Metals, pigments and other chemical substances used by ancient culture [#permalink]
Kudos
daagh wrote:
In this topic, the meaning and comparison are important. The stimulus makes it clear that the metals are not benign as proven by Lead; we should not misconstrue it for the use of lead.

A is anyway wrong for the using the plural verb demonstrate.
B is wrong for using the altered intent of ‘the use of lead”. It is wrong to say- both of – ‘of both’ is the correct expression.
C. the best choice; is forthright in comparing metals with lead rather than the use of lead.
D. Lead requires a singular verb demonstrates.
E. The use of lead is wrong.

Nice question

Hi daagh
My question with C is how can "lead" demonstrate something?
Shouldn't "the use of lead" demonstrate?
Regards
Bitan
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: 570 Q40 V28
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
daagh wrote:
In this topic, the meaning and comparison are important. The stimulus makes it clear that the metals are not benign as proven by Lead; we should not misconstrue it for the use of lead.

B is wrong for using the altered intent of ‘the use of lead”. It is wrong to say- both of – ‘of both’ is the correct expression.
C. the best choice; is forthright in comparing metals with lead rather than the use of lead.

Nice question

Could you please elaborate on why is "the use of lead" wrong?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20709 [5]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Kudos
AbdurRakib wrote:
Metals, pigments and other chemical substances used by ancient cultures were not always benign, as the use of toxic lead by ancient Romans in the plumbing—a word derived from the Latin word for “lead”—of both their aqueducts and their private homes demonstrate.

(A) the use of toxic lead by ancient Romans in the plumbing—a word derived from the Latin word for “lead”—of both their aqueducts and their private homes demonstrate

(B) demonstrated by the use of toxic lead in the plumbing—a word derived from the Latin word for “lead”—both of their aqueducts and their private homes by ancient Romans

(C) demonstrated by the toxic lead that ancient Romans used in the plumbing—a word derived from the Latin word for “lead”—of both their aqueducts and their private homes

(D) toxic lead used by ancient Romans in the plumbing—a word derived from the Latin word for “lead”—both of their aqueducts and of their private homes demonstrate

(E) the use by ancient Romans of toxic lead in the plumbing—a word derived from the Latin word for “lead”—of both their aqueducts and private homes demonstrates

The original sentence incorrectly pairs a singular subject ( the use) with a plural verb ( demonstrate). Don’t be misled by the distance between these two; everything between them is a modifier. In fact, the distance between use and demonstrate is so extreme that it’s easy to forget that use needs a verb. The correct choice should avoid this problem.

(A) This choice is incorrect, as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) This choice fixes the subject-verb agreement problem (and the problem of distance) by changing the beginning to demonstrated by the use. However, it introduces two new problems. First, parallelism is broken in the phrase both of their aqueducts and their private homes. The first marker word ( both) is followed by of their, but the second marker word ( and) is followed directly by their. The proper form would be both of their… and of their… or of both their… and their…. Second, the prepositional phrase by the Romans is so far removed from the noun it goes with ( use) that we lose track of the meaning.

(C) CORRECT. This answer choice fixes all grammatical problems. Verbs are placed close to their natural subjects ( demonstrated by the toxic lead, ancient Romans used). Also, the parallelism of the both… and… construction at the end of the sentence is proper. It could be argued that the meaning has shifted ever so slightly (this choice states that the toxic lead itself demonstrates the point, rather than the use of that toxic lead), but we are left with no other choice, and a meaning shift of this minute degree is tolerable.

(D) This choice introduces a subject-verb disagreement: toxic lead… demonstrate. Moreover, these two (subject and verb) are still separated by an enormous distance, with many distracting elements in between.

(E) This choice still has a parallelism issue in the both their aqueducts and private homes. If both is followed by their, then and should be followed by their, too. Also, the separation of the modifier of toxic lead from the use creates a meaning problem, because this modifier seems to attach to ancient Romans.

The correct answer is C.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1728 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
A time consuming question and a tricky one.
I narrowed it down using parallelism after both.
Only A, C and D follow parallelism. B and D out.
A uses the verb "demonstrate" for the noun phrase " the use of toxic lead by ancient Romans" and S-V disagreement.
D uses the verb "demonstrate" for noun "lead " . Agaiin S-V error.
so A and D out
Answer C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
Send PM
A incorrectly uses the plural verb demonstrate. B wrongly uses ‘both of’. The correct phrase is ‘of both’. D also has an SV disagreement. ‘lead’ requires a singular verb, ‘demonstrate’ is plural. ‘The use of toxic lead’ is very awkward phrasing, so E is not the best option.

So, C is the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Metals, pigments and other chemical substances used by ancient culture [#permalink]
bitanrc wrote:
daagh wrote:

Nice question

Hi daagh
My question with C is how can "lead" demonstrate something?
Shouldn't "the use of lead" demonstrate?
Regards
Bitan

Hi daagh sir,
I have same question. Could you help me understand this?

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts