Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2761 [97]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2260 [42]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [10]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Meteor showers and individual streaks of light that flash across the s [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A. grains of sand or of pebbles, burn up speeding [hold it]
B. grains of sand or pebbles, burn up while speeding [while parallels when to indicate time factor - Hold it]
C. grains of sand or pebbles, which burn up while speeding [which incorrectly modifies sentence - eliminate it]
D. a grain of sand or pebble, which burns up as it speeds [pronoun it has referent issue – eliminate it]
E. a grain of sand or a pebble, burns up when it speeds [pronoun it has referent issue – eliminate it]

B is better than A
Answer: B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [2]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Re: Meteor showers and individual streaks of light that flash across the s [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
There is a very nice explanation on this page

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/met ... t7945.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Kudos
i will pick B

we need to find what should follow "when tiny flecks of celestial detritus,xxxx," burn/ which burn(s)/ burns.
Obiviously 'which burn(s)' is already out coz it modifying 'pebble(s)' not the 'flecks'. so option C & D are out.
'burns' is singular 'flecks' plural so E is also out.
Between A and B - In A 'larger than grains of sand or OF pebbles' -- there is nothing grains of pebbles. It should be either larger than grains of sand OR larger than pebbles.
Only B left
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 711 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Send PM
noboru wrote:
Meteor showers and individual streaks of light that flash across the sky every night are generated when tiny flecks of celestial detritus, often no larger than grains of sand or of pebbles, burn up speeding through the atmosphere.

A. grains of sand or of pebbles, burn up speeding
B. grains of sand or pebbles, burn up while speeding
C. grains of sand or pebbles, which burn up while speeding
D. a grain of sand or pebble, which burns up as it speeds
E. a grain of sand or a pebble, burns up when it speeds

Clearly between A and B. What is your choice and why?

Why is the usage of which wrong in C...B and C according to me are exactly the same... which refers to 'grain' since 'of sand or pebbles' is a prepositional phrase....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 235 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-22-2011
GPA: 3.81
WE:General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Kudos
Because which refers to near word, so when we use which in "X or Y " construction, it is ambigues to ey to X or Y it reffers

siddhans wrote:
noboru wrote:
Meteor showers and individual streaks of light that flash across the sky every night are generated when tiny flecks of celestial detritus, often no larger than grains of sand or of pebbles, burn up speeding through the atmosphere.

A. grains of sand or of pebbles, burn up speeding
B. grains of sand or pebbles, burn up while speeding
C. grains of sand or pebbles, which burn up while speeding
D. a grain of sand or pebble, which burns up as it speeds
E. a grain of sand or a pebble, burns up when it speeds

Clearly between A and B. What is your choice and why?

Why is the usage of which wrong in C...B and C according to me are exactly the same... which refers to 'grain' since 'of sand or pebbles' is a prepositional phrase....
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3379 [2]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Subject :- "tiny flecks of celestial detritus"(Plural) Verb :- "burn"(Plural)
Eliminate D and E.

A is wrong because ‘of pebbles’ – prepositional phrase and cannot be compared with noun ‘grains’ (parallelism either side of conjunction).However, ‘burn up speeding' – is not correct may be due to wrong idiomatic usage’ .
Eliminate A.

Between B and C, the difference is only 'Which',
which can be ambiguously refer to 'pebble', 'detritus' or flecks.

so better go without 'which'. Hence B.
Quote:

(A) grains of sand or of pebbles, burn up speeding
(B) grains of sand or pebbles, burn up while speeding

Why not A (apart from while issue)?
What's the meaning difference (apart from grammar) in the highlighted part both in A and B?
Can I also say the following version is right, expert?
Meteor showers and individual streaks of light that flash across the sky every night are generated when tiny flecks ('s' has been removed to make it 'singular') of celestial detritus, often no larger than a grain of sand or pebble, burn up while speeding through the atmosphere.
I'm a bit confused comparing 'singular' to 'singular' ('fleck' vs 'a grain')
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [1]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
Quote:

(A) grains of sand or of pebbles, burn up speeding
(B) grains of sand or pebbles, burn up while speeding

Why not A (apart from while issue)?
What's the meaning difference (apart from grammar) in the highlighted part both in A and B?
Can I also say the following version is right, expert?
Meteor showers and individual streaks of light that flash across the sky every night are generated when tiny flecks ('s' has been removed to make it 'singular') of celestial detritus, often no larger than a grain of sand or pebble, burn up while speeding through the atmosphere.
I'm a bit confused comparing 'singular' to 'singular' ('fleck' vs 'a grain')

Hi

I am no expert, but i can help

Option A is incorrect for reasons other that while. While " while adds nuance to the sentence, it is not absolutely necessary.
The real error lies in the "grains of sand or of pebbles". There is meaning error and modifier error as well. Grains of sand is fine, but grains of pebbles is wrong as we pebbles are not composed of grains. Grains should only apply to the sand and not to the pebbles. A has this error.

B corrects this issue by removing second "off" after or.

Regards,
Arvind
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 710
Send PM
Hey folks, I have a small doubt.

While I understand choice A is incorrect because of other reasons, I can't understand the difference in meaning between 'burn up speeding' and 'burn up while speeding'.

Can anyone or experts throw some light on this specific difference?

GMATNinja AndrewN KarishmaB generis
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
raahulthakur wrote:

While I understand choice A is incorrect because of other reasons, I can't understand the difference in meaning between 'burn up speeding' and 'burn up while speeding'.

Hello raahulthakur,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, Option A is not without merit, but the use of "while" in Option B makes the latter clearer and more parallel.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64913 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
raahulthakur wrote:

Option (A) vs Option (B)

Look at the relevant clause:
... tiny flecks of celestial detritus burn up speeding through the atmosphere.

'burn up' is the verb. Here, 'speeding' becomes its object. 'Burn up' what? speeding
But that makes no sense. We could say 'burn up gases they encounter..' or 'burn up dust particles in the atmosphere' etc and that would make sense.
Or we could use it without an object so that we know that the 'tiny flecks of celestial detritus' are the ones burning up. This we know is the intended meaning.

... tiny flecks of celestial detritus burn up while speeding through the atmosphere.

Here 'burn up' has no object. The tiny flecks are the ones burning up.
'while speeding through the atmosphere' is a reduced relative clause. The actual clause is 'while they are speeding through the atmosphere'. Since the subject is the same for both, main and adverbial clauses, we can skip renaming the subject.

'tiny flecks burn up while they are speeding' becomes
'tiny flecks burn up while speeding'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
(A) grains of sand or of pebbles, burn up speeding Incorrect because the sentence does not clarify when do tiny flecks of celestial detritus burn up, actual framing should be the tiny flecks of celestial detritus burn up while they were speeding through the atmosphere.
(B) grains of sand or pebbles, burn up while speeding Correct
(C) grains of sand or pebbles, which burn up while speeding Incorrect which is not required
(D) a grain of sand or pebble, which burns up as it speeds Incorrect which is not required
(E) a grain of sand or a pebble, burns up when it speeds Incorrect SVA error
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 510
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM