It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 10:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Meteorite explosions in the Earth s atmosphere as large as

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Meteorite explosions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2009, 18:43
E

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Schools: All options are open

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2009, 21:59
(A)Incorrect:Out of scope
(B)Incorrect:It is clearly mentioned that the response is unpredictable.
(C)Incorrect:Use of extreme words
(D)Incorrect: Nothing is mentioned about the location of blast
(E)Correct:Conclusion is made keeping in mind the information provided in the passage.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2009, 06:35
OA given is D,but i am convinced with E as answer....

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: PMP

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 37

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2009, 07:44
brothers wrote:
OA given is D,but i am convinced with E as answer....

What is the source of the question and OE ?

Thanks, Sri
-------------------------------
keep uppp...ing the tempo...

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 37

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 56

Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Re: CR - Meteorite explosions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2011, 12:46
I picked E...It restates the conclusion

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 56

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 718 [0], given: 44

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Meteorite explosions in the Earth s atmosphere as large as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2011, 03:54
E

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Kudos [?]: 718 [0], given: 44

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 6

Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2011, 11:59
E

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 6

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2012, 14:10
I have picked E for this question:

This is a Must Be True question and it is asking you to make a conclusion about the automated system based on the passage.

A. This statement may or may not be true. There is nothing within the passage that leads us to believe that "...the system would react inappropriately..." Therefore, this statement is incorrect.

B. How can we know for sure that an explosion of a large meteorite would destroy the system? It may or may not be destroyed - there is nothing in the passage to back up this statement.

C. Nowhere in the passage does it describe the automated system's ability to distinguish between an explosion from a meteorite and an explosion from a nuclear weapon.

D. How do we know that anything depends on the location of the blast? Again, there is nothing to prove this statement.

E. This is the only reasonable answer choice. This statement is very similar the 2nd paragraph in the passage, so it passes the fact test.

Last edited by Narenn on 07 Oct 2013, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.
All similar threads have been merged.

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 5

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2014, 09:44
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2015, 09:12
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 80

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2016, 02:09
whamberto wrote:

This is a Must Be True question and it is asking you to make a conclusion about the automated system based on the passage.

A. This statement may or may not be true. There is nothing within the passage that leads us to believe that "...the system would react inappropriately..." Therefore, this statement is incorrect.

B. How can we know for sure that an explosion of a large meteorite would destroy the system? It may or may not be destroyed - there is nothing in the passage to back up this statement.

C. Nowhere in the passage does it describe the automated system's ability to distinguish between an explosion from a meteorite and an explosion from a nuclear weapon.

D. How do we know that anything depends on the location of the blast? Again, there is nothing to prove this statement.

E. This is the only reasonable answer choice. This statement is very similar the 2nd paragraph in the passage, so it passes the fact test.

Hi everyone,

I've a doubt in option E.

E. It is not certain what the system's response to the explosion of a large meteorite would be, if its designers did not plan for such a contingency.

though I agree the first part can be deduced from the argument, I'm not satisfied with the 2nd part (in red)

There is no mention of contingency plan in the argument (or any conditional if statement).

IMO - 2nd part doesn't pass the fact test.(must be true answer choices must always pass the fact test).

Regards,
SR

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 80

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 136

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2016, 15:04
Choice A is actually pretty funny. First time a CR question made me laugh

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 136

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 24

WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2016, 14:17
I would reject C only on the basis of the work "impossible"

What's your totem?

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 24

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 49

Schools: Duke '20, Tepper '20
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 20:45
E- IMO
(1 min 47 sec)
hi,
Am taking around 2 min for this type of questions is there any other way to solve these questions more quickly than it does now. I see people claiming that they could do such problems within 1 min 30 sec or around 1 min.

help appreciated.

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 49

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 25

Concentration: Technology
Schools: AGSM '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 4
Meteorite explosions in the Earth s atmosphere as large as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2017, 00:53
I have exactly same doubt which is raised by solitaryreaper

The only thing that is given is that the system's response to unexpected circumstances is unpredictable.

How can the conditional if be inferred ?

Infact the unpredictability of the system is reflected better in the choice C.

But the OA is E, that means I am missing some point.

VeritasPrepKarishma , daagh, egmat , chetan2u - can you please check where am I missing the point ?

solitaryreaper wrote:
whamberto wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've a doubt in option E.

E. It is not certain what the system's response to the explosion of a large meteorite would be, if its designers did not plan for such a contingency.

though I agree the first part can be deduced from the argument, I'm not satisfied with the 2nd part (in red)

There is no mention of contingency plan in the argument (or any conditional if statement).

IMO - 2nd part doesn't pass the fact test.(must be true answer choices must always pass the fact test).

Regards,
SR

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 25

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 62

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 07:33
pi10t wrote:
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition

Practice Question
Question No.: 57
Page: 139
Difficulty:

Meteorite explosions in the Earth's atmosphere as large as the one that destroyed forests in Siberia, with approximately the force of a twelve-megaton nuclear blast, occur about once a century. The response of highly automated systems controlled by complex computer programs to unexpected circumstances is unpredictable.

Which of the following conclusions can most properly be drawn, if the statements above are true, about a highly automated nuclear-missile defense system controlled by a complex computer program?

A. Within a century after its construction, the system would react inappropriately and might accidentally start a nuclear war.
B. The system would be destroyed if an explosion of a large meteorite occurred in the Earth's atmosphere.
C. It would be impossible for the system to distinguish the explosion of a large meteorite from the explosion of a nuclear weapon.
D. Whether the system would respond inappropriately to the explosion of a large meteorite would depend on the location of the blast.

A. Within a century after its construction, the system would react inappropriately and might accidentally start a nuclear war.
System reaction is unpredictable but now where it is given that it will react inappropriately to start a nuclear war.. OUT OF SCOPE.

B. The system would be destroyed if an explosion of a large meteorite occurred in the Earth's atmosphere.
No mention of system getting destroyed in the argument if a large meteorite explodes in earth's atmosphere.

C. It would be impossible for the system to distinguish the explosion of a large meteorite from the explosion of a nuclear weapon.
Impossible is too harsh and not apt for the argument given. Argument just says the response of such computer programs is unpredictable.

D. Whether the system would respond inappropriately to the explosion of a large meteorite would depend on the location of the blast.
Though inappropriate response seems close, argument never said that the unpredictable response will depend on the location of the blast. So, it seems close, lets check next option.

Yes it seems more correct that if the designers did not plan for such a contingency, surely we cannot predict the system's response.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Answer E

MBA Social Network : WebMaggu

Appreciate by Clicking +1 Kudos ( Lets be more generous friends.)

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 62

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2017, 15:21
Meteorite explosions in the Earth's atmosphere as large as the one that destroyed forests in Siberia, with approximately the force of a twelve-megaton nuclear blast, occur about once a century. The response of highly automated systems controlled by complex computer programs to unexpected circumstances is unpredictable.

Which of the following conclusions can most properly be drawn, if the statements above are true, about a highly automated nuclear-missile defense system controlled by a complex computer program?

- why is there a timeline? nothing in the passage suggests its only a matter of time. also, nuclear war is a bit extreme.

- we don't know how sensitive the system is. what if its indestructible? what if its underground, with tons of barriers between itself and the explosion?

- extreme language: impossible. also, the passage says the system's RESPONSE is unpredictable, not the DISTINCTION/ABILITY TO DISTINGUISH the explosions.

- nowhere is it even hinted that location remotely matters.

- correct as is

Key here is to IDENTIFY THE CONCLUSION: the response of highly automated systems controlled by complex computer programs to unexpected circumstances is unpredictable
> use POE to elim obviously wrong A/C: A, B & D.

Kudos please if you find helpful :)

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 1

Re: Meteorite explosions in the Earth s atmosphere as large as   [#permalink] 18 Sep 2017, 15:21

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 37 posts ] 

Meteorite explosions in the Earth s atmosphere as large as

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap