Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 520 Q40 V21
GPA: 2.95
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72877 [2]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: York University (Schulich) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: MGMAT Reading Comprehension and Geometry [#permalink]
deadlycat wrote:
I wouldn't waste time on Reading Comprehension, it's very hard to improve in a short period of time. You get better bang for your effort by doing Sentence Correction or Critical Reasoning and use the extra time gain from there to compensate for RC.

Regarding the Quantitative section, you need to figure out what're your weakest topics then hit the books accordingly. Keep in mind that with very little time to prep, you can't hit up every topic so just aim for the best value for the effort.

I agree with mostly everything that deadlycat said; however, I am not quite sure about the recommendation to NOT spend (waste? hmm...) on RC. Maybe that's true for most (few?) native speakers, but I have known a handful on native speakers in this forum who had to work through some sort of strategies in RCs. Nonetheless, if you are a non-native speaker, then you MUST spend some, if not significant, time working on your RC strategies; otherwise you will realize it will KILL YOU in the test, not only with the time, but also with the accuracy - getting a string of wrong answers will hurt your score more than anything.

Regardless, whether you are native or non-native speaker, GMAT RCs are not like other CAT RCs. GMAT RCs are dense, convoluted and, perhaps, a big giant CR - at-least if you are aiming to score high, you would expect the complexity to grow. Moreover, the RC question stems expect you to stay within or outside the scope, at different level, for different types of problem. Not trying to exaggerate or scare, but I didn't realize all this until recently. It is so important to know what scope you need to be in while picking the answer choice for different types of problems.

Having said all the above, I will recommend to start with Powerscore Verbal's RC section, if RCs scare you in-general. I have read both Powerscore and MGMAT, and hats off to Powerscore for making things so much clearer. It does not give you ton of strategies, but teaches you for what you should be looking while reading a passage. MGMAT book is more about attacking strategy, but Powerscore is more at the fundamental level, which is definitely recommended for non-native speakers, at the least.

Hope this helps :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
GMAt Status: Quant section
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
Schools: WBS (D)
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
thanks for your point abhicoolmax
your exam day is very soon , so good luck man and i'm waiting your debrief
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I didn't MGMAT RC very useful, but that was because RC is probably the hardest to improve in a very short time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 520 Q40 V21
GPA: 2.95
Send PM
Thanks for the replies.

I ended up going through the MGMAT RC book during some unexpected free time during work. I noticed that the strategies they outlined were decent, at best. I did not do well on the questions using them, however.

Instead, I found Rhyme's rather unconventional RC strategy (verbal-rc-help-30247.html) and ended up doing MUCH better. It was almost as if I never needed to read that book in the first place.

It seems like Powerscore puts out better products for improving the verbal score. I will look into it for RC and CR.

Thanks again!
GMAT Club Bot