GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 24 Jan 2020, 18:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

MGMAT Retention - Some tips!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-22-2011
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
MGMAT Retention - Some tips!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2010, 15:35
ok I just had a major breakthrough regarding learning the MGMAT material...

So I've gone through the books and now can't remember too much, as mentioned before a few times on GMATClub, ... I was wracking my brain trying to work out how the hell I would learn the material, and I remembered from my school & uni days how to study maths (FINALLY! I wish I remembered this 3 months ago), specifically how to learn math concepts cold. I went to http://www.flashcardmachine.com/ and started doing some flash cards, then I remembered I should be testing myself on all the little nuances in the books, particularly stuff I didn't quite grasp the first time around.

By testing myself I mean doing flash cards like Q: An ODD number divided by an EVEN integer CANNOT produce an integer. TRUE or FALSE? A: TRUE --> An ODD number divided by an EVEN integer CANNOT produce an integer. This is because the odd number will NEVER be divisible by the factor of 2 concealed within the EVEN number.

and I did literally tonight around 200 flash cards like this for the Number Properties book for stuff I still haven't learnt cold 100%. So the flash cards weren't so much flash cards like 'the formula for this is ...' but more like little mini test questions to make sure I understand the concepts. IF a concept was a bit tricky I would do multiple flash card questions for it, covering all the different angles in the MGMAT book including some of the examples they give... I found the process of writing up the little test questions also tested my knowledge and forced me to make sure I knew the concept well before writing up a question based on it.

If you register at http://www.flashcardmachine.com/ and look up my username (n2739178) you should be able to see all the flash cards I've made so far.

I know it may seem tedious to go through all these cards day in day out, but I'm going to do 30-40 random flash cards a day from them (you can choose a random flash test mode on the site) until I know it all down pat. There's not a lot actually that I still have to learn for Number Properties but I've forgotten a lot of key concepts and these need to be re-cemented into my brain. The other key concepts that I do remember obviously I didn't make flash cards for.

So my aim now is to do 30-40 of these flash cards a day for each book, until I feel I've remembered almost all of it, then do all the OG questions again listed for each book. Then I'll have a cemented knowledge of the concepts and should be able to tackle the questions a lot more easily and not make as many conceptual errors.

So yeah, thought I'd share that. I used to do that at uni and in high school but I completely forgot about it. I hope this helps someone in the same boat as me (i.e. covered all the MGMAT books then forgotten half of them).

Also a tip - read and re-read each chapter in each book, no matter how tedious or boring it is to do so. I have really found this has also helped immensely to cement concepts that I either forgot or never learnt properly in the first place, some concepts even popped out of the page at me that I never noticed at all!!

And one more thing - by this stage I've done most of the end of chapter problem sets, however there were always a few questions that threw a curve-ball at me so I'm rereading the questions and I can remember which ones they were that I had a WTF moment with... so I'm redoing those questions only now (the other ones I could still remember how to do easily).

Finally my studying is on track again and I'm studying effectively. Thank god for that... Was really starting to stress out!

One more tip: I'm also going to start making these flash cards for errors I come across in the OG questions... key conceptual errors or tricks to answer those sorts of questions, so I learn the concepts involved in those problems, if that makes sense.

SVP
SVP
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: MGMAT Retention - Some tips!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2010, 16:57
Great suggestion! :) Did you know that there was a flashcard competition going on? The deadline is October 16th, but the pre-registration was October 1st.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2010, 01:17
nope didn't know about the comp! i'll register!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2010, 01:55
Good post, I'm sure it'll help get the few last quant points we're missing.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2010, 22:41
Great job. I've used them the last two nights. They are great for when I don't feel like studying and tempted to surf the web :) I keep running across some blank cards, but no big deal. Thanks a lot!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2010, 01:09
no problem!

I'll run through them again and clean up any erroneous or blank ones.

They are still a work in progerss :)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2010, 20:50
Wow! nice work.. I have already started revision through them..(+ 1)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2010, 06:49
Great work ! Very helpful. I have created flash cards on index cards for my reference. I wish I had used this site. I could have actually shared it with everyone
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2010, 08:45
This is great! I never heard of this website.

--T.S. Elliot
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2010, 16:44
yeah it's a wicked website and best of all, free!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.37
WE: Engineering (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2011, 22:33
Ur flash cards shred mate

Just did the consecutive integers set - nailed it - 36/36 (including the blanks :p)
Director
Director
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: Haas '18, Kelley '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2011, 01:32
Kudos to you brother :)

Interesting perspective on using flash cards!!!
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.08

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2012, 20:19
Just found all these cool flashcards. Thank you for sharing them! They will certainly be very useful as I study and try to memorize some of the more tedious tricks.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2012, 00:46
I have not heard of this site. Thanks for posting.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15, CBS '15
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE: Accounting (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2012, 07:33
this is what I really needed... been struggling keeping up with the hw assigned each week and retaining info... hopefully your approach will keep things fresh in my mind
GMAT Club Bot
Re: MGMAT Retention - Some tips!!   [#permalink] 14 Feb 2012, 07:33

MGMAT Retention - Some tips!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep