Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:35 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [50]
Given Kudos: 49
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [4]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Schools:
Send PM
Re: Micheaux contends that the guild system both limited and encouraged ex [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
AR15J wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
AR15J wrote:
I had difficulty in reading the ques

Micheaux contends that artisans.....were allowed.... , yet.. they were...--sentence is correct

But I thought this part as a fragment-- "the guild system both limited and encouraged experimentation in Renaissance Italy :"

Expert, please explain how this phrase("the guild system both limited and encouraged experimentation in Renaissance Italy :") is put in this sentence. I might not know what is the usage of ":"

KalyanVaddagiri wrote:
Colon usage: To introduce something that follows logically; that is an effect or consequence.

I have three items in my grocery bag:apples, oranges and bananas.

Can someone explain or thoughts on this Option A how the first sentence introduced such an effect.

"The guild system both limited and encouraged experimentation in Renaissance" is a subordinate clause introduced by "that". This part is not a fragment.

The colon ":" introduces an explanation about or example of what has been stated before the colon. Here the part after colon explains how the guild system both limited and encouraged experimentation.

Hi sayantanc2k,

Sorry, I still have difficulty in understanding the structure.

What I understood by your explanation is: Semicolon is used to give the explanation of the previous clause
1. Does the above sentence show the correct usage of the semicolon?

Does semicolon provide the explanation of previous clause or that of any word in that clause? (In the given sentence, Semicolon":" provides explanation of guild system experimentation)

If we consider
subject: "the guild system both limited and encouraged experimentation in Renaissance Italy"
explanation of the subject: " artisans who would have otherwise had no support were allowed to develop their craft"

a.
I am not sure whether the explanation is just above clause or the below clause(till the end)

"artisans who would have otherwise had no support were allowed to develop their craft, yet, once under such a system, they were discouraged from challenging the existing power dynamics"

b.
Where is the verb for the subject

Please help !

1. ":" is called a colon, not a semicolon. Yes, the sentence correctly shows the usage of colon.

2. The part after colon provides further explanation for the part before colon (The part could be the whole clause OR a part of the clause, even a single word.)

3. a. The explanation is as follows:
Why does Micheaux contend that the guild system limited experimentation? - because "once under such a system, they were discouraged from challenging the existing power dynamics."
Why does Micheaux contend that the guild system encouraged experimentation? - because "artisans who would have otherwise had no support were allowed to develop their craft".

3 b. The verb for the first clause is "were allowed" (subject "artisans") and that of the second is "were discouraged" (subject "they").
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT Date: 05-10-2015
GPA: 3.51
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Micheaux contends that the guild system both limited and encouraged ex [#permalink]
Kudos
Patronus wrote:
Micheaux contends that the guild system both limited and encouraged experimentation in Renaissance Italy: artisans who would have otherwise had no support were allowed to develop their craft, yet, once under such a system, they were discouraged from challenging the existing power dynamics.

A) Italy: artisans who otherwise would have had no support were allowed to develop their craft, yet, once under such a system, were discouraged from
B) Italy, providing artisans support they would not have had otherwise in developing their craft, and discouraging them, once under such a system, from
C) Italy, since artisans who otherwise would not have not had any support in developing their craft were, once under such a system, discouraged in
D) Italy: artisans not otherwise having support in the development of their craft, but once under such a system being discouraged from
E) Italy; artisans, having no support otherwise, were allowed to develop their craft, yet, once under such a system they were discouraged from

Intended purpose of the sentence is to provide a contention (here a paradoxical situation) and then exemplify it with a corresponding example.
The example provided has "yet" displays the paradox.
Option B: The paradox part has been completely removed and, thus, the meaning of the sentence is changed. It says that "the guild system both limited and encouraged experimentation by doing X and Y". This is not the intended meaning of the sentence. So, INCORRECT.

Option D: It removes a major chunk of the original sentence "were allowed to develop". Additionally, the example in original sentence is for describing a "situation", but in the option the example part is describing the "artisans". Use of "being" also not clear. So, INCORRECT.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Micheaux contends that the guild system both limited and encouraged experimentation in Renaissance Italy: artisans who would have otherwise had no support were allowed to develop their craft, yet, once under such a system, they were discouraged from challenging the existing power dynamics.

A) Italy: artisans who otherwise would have had no support were allowed to develop their craft, yet, once under such a system, were discouraged from

The first thing to note is that choice A is not the same as in underlined part. The subject ‘they’ found in the text, seems to be missing from choice A. Original poster may please re-check transcription.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 378
Concentration: General Management, Operations
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
I could not understand how E was changing the meaning of the original sentence....gramatically I found no error in E....Experts please help....Thanks in advance..
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AR15J wrote:

Micheaux contends that artisans.....were allowed.... , yet.. they were...--sentence is correct

But I thought this part as a fragment-- "the guild system both limited and encouraged experimentation in Renaissance Italy :"

Expert, please explain how this phrase("the guild system both limited and encouraged experimentation in Renaissance Italy :") is put in this sentence. I might not know what is the usage of ":"

KalyanVaddagiri wrote:
Colon usage: To introduce something that follows logically; that is an effect or consequence.

Can someone explain or thoughts on this Option A how the first sentence introduced such an effect.

"The guild system both limited and encouraged experimentation in Renaissance" is a subordinate clause introduced by "that". This part is not a fragment.

The colon ":" introduces an explanation about or example of what has been stated before the colon. Here the part after colon explains how the guild system both limited and encouraged experimentation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
I would appreciate if someone could explain the reason to reject B) & E).
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Patronus wrote:
I would appreciate if someone could explain the reason to reject B) & E).
Thanks!

Quality question Patronus!
I was confused with E too and ended up choosing the same.

I think A[artisans.......were allowed to develop....yet ....were discouraged from...] is more direct than is E[...artisans were allowed to develop ....yet they were discourage from....]

As for B, providing artisans support.......rightly modifies 'the guild system' because of the presence of "that". However, there are two ideas in contrast:the system was able to provide few advantages but at the same time it also had few disadvantages in that it discouraged artisans from challenging the dynamics.

For this reason, these two contrasting ideas are best expressed with conjunction "yet" rather than "and", which is in B.

However, would love to hear perspectives on the same.

Thanks.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
I have doubts that A is correct.
we have conjunction yet - then a verb, but where is the subject?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
I was stuck between A and E
Choose A
But E too seems correct to be ,please let us know why E is incorrect
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4543 [0]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
In the underlined part of the original sentence, there are two events.
Earlier event: Artisans had no support - correct usage of past perfect
Latest event: Artisans were allowed to develop their craft - Correctly uses simple past.

Option E changes the meaning by removing the tense sequence. Hence E is incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.89
WE:Accounting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I'm not seeing how E changes the meaning. Any other alternative explanation for why E is incorrect?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
I have gone with A as the correct answer for below reasons.

Split is among ":", ";" and ","

Keeping that "," must be a modifier and then quickly reading options B and C realized that changes the meaning so eliminated both.
In E, I noticed that "would have had no support" is changed to "having no support" which means that it is confirmed that Artisans DID NOT have support as compared to in original sentence, mentions it as hypothetical scenario.

Between And D -- D had the same issue as E but also look alot more messier that A.

Patronus wrote:

B) Italy, providing artisans support they would not have had otherwise in developing their craft, and discouraging them, once under such a system, from
C) Italy, since artisans who otherwise would not have not had any support in developing their craft were, once under such a system, discouraged in
D) Italy: artisans not otherwise having support in the development of their craft, but once under such a system being discouraged from
E) Italy; artisans, having no support otherwise, were allowed to develop their craft, yet, once under such a system they were discouraged from
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
mikemcgarry,
I would love your input on this topic. Since it is a Magoosh question, maybe you have the right form and answer to the question as well :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GPA: 3.87
WE:Research (Telecommunications)
Send PM

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
AR15J wrote:

KalyanVaddagiri wrote:

Hi sayantanc2k,

Sorry, I still have difficulty in understanding the structure.

What I understood by your explanation is: Semicolon is used to give the explanation of the previous clause
1. Does the above sentence show the correct usage of the semicolon?

Does semicolon provide the explanation of previous clause or that of any word in that clause? (In the given sentence, Semicolon":" provides explanation of guild system experimentation)

If we consider
subject: "the guild system both limited and encouraged experimentation in Renaissance Italy"
explanation of the subject: " artisans who would have otherwise had no support were allowed to develop their craft"

a.
I am not sure whether the explanation is just above clause or the below clause(till the end)

"artisans who would have otherwise had no support were allowed to develop their craft, yet, once under such a system, they were discouraged from challenging the existing power dynamics"

b.
Where is the verb for the subject

Please help !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GPA: 3.87
WE:Research (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Awesome Sayantanc. :-D How silly I missed this logic :roll: !! Great !!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts