GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2019, 18:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Michel is drawing 2 winning tickets from a bucket of raffle

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Michel is drawing 2 winning tickets from a bucket of raffle  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2013, 08:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (01:36) correct 50% (03:19) wrong based on 9 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Michel is drawing 2 winning tickets from a bucket of raffle tickets she sold. She sold atleast 14 but not more than 22 tickets. If James bought two tickets from Michel and tickets are not returned to the drawing bucket after they have been drawn what is the lowest possible probability that he will win both prizes?

The OA is not given.

Can somebody please help me with this one. It will be very helpful if you explain every step.
Thanks.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Re: Michel is drawing 2 winning tickets from a bucket of raffle  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Jun 2013, 08:40
emon wrote:
Michel is drawing 2 winning tickets from a bucket of raffle tickets she sold. She sold atleast 14 but not more than 22 tickets. If James bought two tickets from Michel and tickets are not returned to the drawing bucket after they have been drawn what is the lowest possible probability that he will win both prizes?

The OA is not given.

Can somebody please help me with this one. It will be very helpful if you explain every step.
Thanks.

Hi Emon, I'll try and walk you through this. Please let me know if anything is unclear or if I maybe misunderstood something.

If James has the two winning tickets, and the question is asking the lowest possible probability that he won both prizes, then we need to maximize the number of tickets sold (i.e. 22). If they only sold 2 tickets, he'd be a guaranteed winner, so the more tickets sold, the less chance he has to be the winner.

Now that we know there are 22 tickets sold, and James has 2, what are the chances that the first one will be a winner? His number of tickets over the total number of tickets, so 2/22. We only care about the scenario where he wins, so let's assume he wins the first drawing. For the second drawing, he now has 1 chance out of 21 remaining tickets to win, so 1/21. Multiplying these two together (and simplifying by 2) we get 1/11 * 1/21 = 1/231. He has about a half a percentage chance to win both drawings if she sold 22 tickets.

Again, if she'd sold 20, 18 or 14 tickets, James' odds of winning would go up, so the lowest percentage possible should be 1/231, i.e. the odds that he wins the first x the odds that he wins the second.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Originally posted by VeritasPrepRon on 13 Jun 2013, 09:12.
Last edited by VeritasPrepRon on 16 Jun 2013, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NUS '15
GPA: 2.92
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2013, 05:08
VeritasPrepRon wrote:
emon wrote:

The OA is not given.

Thanks.

Hi Emon, I'll try and walk you through this. Please let me know if anything is unclear or if I maybe misunderstood something.

If James has the two winning tickets, and the question is asking the lowest possible probability that he won both prizes, then we need to maximize the number of tickets sold (i.e. 22). If they only sold 2 tickets, he'd be a guaranteed winner, so the more tickets sold, the less chance he has to be the winner.

Now that we know there are 22 tickets sold, and James has 2, what are the chances that the first one will be a winner? His number of tickets over the total number of tickets, so 2/22. We only care about the scenario where he wins, so let's assume he wins the first drawing. For the second drawing, he now has 1 chance out of 21 remaining tickets to win, so 1/21. Multiplying these two together (and simplifying by 2) we get 1/11 * 1/21 = 1/232. He has about a half a percentage chance to win both drawings if she sold 22 tickets.

Again, if she'd sold 20, 18 or 14 tickets, James' odds of winning would go up, so the lowest percentage possible should be 1/232, i.e. the odds that he wins the first x the odds that he wins the second.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Should have been 1/231 :)

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2013, 08:39
Yes absolutely! Multiplying two simple numbers is trixy!!

That's why I always prefer to have answer choices. I'll edit my post. Thanks!

-Ron
Schools: Ross '15

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2013, 09:15
The chance for James to win prize in the first ticket is 1/22, the chance to win in the second is 1/21. So the lowest possibility is 1/21x22, not 1/11x21. Could please you help me explain this, Ron?

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2013, 09:54
kloklo wrote:
The chance for James to win prize in the first ticket is 1/22, the chance to win in the second is 1/21. So the lowest possibility is 1/21x22, not 1/11x21. Could please you help me explain this, Ron?

Sure thing kloklo, the issue is that James has 2 tickets, so his chances of winning the first prize is 2/22, not 1/22. I simplify the expression to make the math easier, but his chances are basically the number of tickets he has / number of tickets issued. If he'd had 21 tickets out of 22, his chances of winning would be very high indeed!

Hope this helps!
-Ron
Re: Michel is drawing 2 winning tickets from a bucket of raffle   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2013, 09:54

Michel is drawing 2 winning tickets from a bucket of raffle

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics