Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 1305
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
WE:Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [0]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Michelangelo, it is believed, had made his sculpture of David using an [#permalink]
GMATNinja

Hi,

Wanted to clarify whether the use of "it" in option is A is correct ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63657 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Michelangelo, it is believed, had made his sculpture of David using an [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jackky wrote:
GMATNinja

Hi,

Wanted to clarify whether the use of "it" in option is A is correct ?

The "it" isn't inherently wrong. But as explained in this post, it's rare to see such "non-referential" pronouns in correct answer choices on the GMAT, even though they are quite common in everyday speech and writing (take this sentence, for example).

I hope that helps a bit!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 296
Send PM
Hi,

Please help me understand why option B is incorrect.
And why is option C correct? - the sentence seems awfully confusing with all the verb tenses compared to option B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Michelangelo, it is believed, had made his sculpture of David using an eight-inch plaster model that was recently discovered after being* lost for nearly 300 years.

A) Michelangelo, it is believed, had made his sculpture of David using an eight-inch plaster model that was recently discovered after being ---The missing comma after David is a problem in this choice. Perse, it means that his sculpture of David used an eight-inch plaster model and not Michelangelo.

B) An eight-inch plaster model is believed to have been used by Michelangelo for his sculpture of David and recently discovered after it was --Structural Parallelism is the casualty after the parallelism marker ‘and’

C) An eight-inch plaster model believed to have been used by Michelangelo for his sculpture of David has been discovered after having been --- This is the correct choice in spite of the clumsiness

D) It is believed that an eight-inch plaster model that Michelangelo used for his sculpture of David and has recently been discovered after it was -- dual reference of it is ungrammatical. The first ‘it’ is a place-holder and the second one refers to the plastic model.

E) It is believed that Michelangelo used an eight-inch plaster model for his sculpture of David, and it was recently discovered after having been--- -- dual reference of it is ungrammatical. The first ‘it’ is a place-holder and the second one refers to the plastic model.

Can you please elaborate why B is wrong?

An eight inch plaster model is believed.... And discovered ....

Which means Eight inch plaster model is believed..... And Eight inch plaster model is discovered

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
SsdfHarsha123 wrote:
Can you please elaborate why B is wrong?

An eight inch plaster model is believed.... And discovered ....

Which means Eight inch plaster model is believed..... And Eight inch plaster model is discovered

Hi SsdfHarsha123,

This is the sentence that option B leads to:
An eight-inch plaster model is believed to have been used by Michelangelo for his sculpture of David and recently discovered after it was lost for nearly 300 years.

One way to take B out is to focus on the and:
An eight-inch plaster model is believed to have been (a) used by Michelangelo for his sculpture of David and (b) recently discovered after it was lost for nearly 300 years.

So the sentence ends up saying that the model is believed to have been recently discovered, which cannot be the intended meaning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
hero_with_1000_faces wrote:
Hello MentorTutoring

I would be very grateful, if you could review my methodology applied in this question, and whether I am making any grammatical mistakes, Thank You.

Yes, I would say you have it now, through and through. Now let the dust settle on this one and see if you can apply your newfound knowledge to the next set of questions. Well done.

- Andrew

Hey AndrewN,

It's me again. I think this one just fried my brain as I'm not a native speaker but kindly share your thoughts on the below:

"An eight-inch plaster model believed to have been used by Michelangelo for his sculpture of David has been discovered after having been"

Believed to have been used by Michelangelo > the infinitive form "to have been used" has nothing to do with the passive present perfect (have been + participle + by). Instead what this is saying is that at the present it is believed that the action of this statue being by Mike used has happened in the past.

Has been discovered after having been lost > This one is a little bit more nuanced. I know that "having been lost" is some sort of time marker indicating that this state of being lost happened before the state of being discovered. I just have two questions: This is a passive past participle correct? and if so is it like the past perfect in that there maybe an illogical meaning because it would be lost at one point > then no longer lost since the state of being lost is completed in the past> then discovered. how can it be discovered if it is no longer lost? illogical
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep

Dear Marty,
could you elucidate in detail answer C ?

C) An eight-inch plaster model believed to have been used by Michelangelo for his sculpture of David has been discovered after having been

An eight-inch plaster model believed - how does plaster model can believe; is it doer of action?

Furthermore, I presumed that we employ Passive Voice + Past Participle to illustrate Cause & Effect.
For instance, Having been scared by police, he was afraid to commit a crime.

Thereby, concerning answer C, "plaster model having been lost, and therefore was recently discovered" does it make sense?

Regarding the answer A, is phrase "after being lost" justified? Does it consist benefited verb?

Thank you in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-07-2015
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hello GMATNinja, can you please explain the usage of to have been in option B & C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
Hi, What is wrong in the original sentence?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Ivey '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
Hi EducationAisle can you help identify what role "having been" in option C is playing from Verb Tense perspective?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Michelangelo, it is believed, had made his sculpture of David using an [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
mohitmech1 wrote:
Hello GMATNinja, can you please explain the usage of to have been in option B & C.

This passive construction is admittedly a bit confusing, so let's try to work our way up to it:

• "The model is used by Michelangelo." - This sentence uses the passive voice: the subject ("model") receives the action.
  • "The model is believed to be used by Michelangelo." - This is similar to the first one, except here we aren't sure whether the model is used by Michelangelo -- we only believe or think that it was.

Not too bad, right? But things get a bit more confusing once we change the timing:

• "The model was used by Michelangelo." - Here we know that the model was used by Michelangelo at some point in the past.
  • "The model is believed to have been used by Michelangelo." - In the second example above, we were talking about something that we believe that Michelangelo currently does. But now we are talking about something that we think was done at some uncertain time frame in the past. We use "believed to have been" instead of "believed to be" in this case. This is basically what we have in (B).
  • "The model believed to have been used by Michelangelo..." - This is basically what we have in (C). It's the same idea as the last one, except that now "believed..." is an -ed modifier. Again, the only real difference between "believed to be" and "believe to have been" is the timing of Michelangelo's supposed action (using the model).

Luckily, this construction doesn't come up all that much in official questions, and learning the ins and outs of this particular construction is probably not the best use of your time. Don’t overreact to this sort of thing -- when in doubt, look for other decision points.

I hope that helps!

Hi GMATNinja

Therefore, what is other decision point between B & C ?
I read all posts. But I don't understand why B is incorrect
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Michelangelo, it is believed, had made his sculpture of David using an [#permalink]
[quote="generis"]Michelangelo, it is believed, had made his sculpture of David using an eight-inch plaster model that was recently discovered after being lost for nearly 300 years.

A) Michelangelo, it is believed, had made his sculpture of David using an eight-inch plaster model that was recently discovered after being

B) An eight-inch plaster model is believed to have been used by Michelangelo for his sculpture of David and recently discovered after it was

C) An eight-inch plaster model believed to have been used by Michelangelo for his sculpture of David has been discovered after having been

D) It is believed that an eight-inch plaster model that Michelangelo used for his sculpture of David and has recently been discovered after it was

E) It is believed that Michelangelo used an eight-inch plaster model for his sculpture of David, and it was recently discovered after having been

first point is about present perfect.
present perfect is a hard tense. to understand it, we present the concept of time frame. present perfect is used for a time frame which begin in the past and continue until present. so, some time adverbs must go with present perfect but not with simple past. "recently" must go with present perfect because it show the time frame of present perfect. so, simple past+"recently" is wrong.
WE need to review the use of present perfect in grammar books.

second point.
in choice B, the first part is in present tense "is believed and discovered" and the second part is in past tense " after it was". this is wrong
choice D is not a sentence
"it" in choice E is ambiguous.

this test tense problem.

Originally posted by thangvietnam on 24 Jul 2021, 04:16.
Last edited by thangvietnam on 29 Sep 2021, 01:57, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
Send PM
Just want to make sure whether my understanding is correct

Michelangelo, it is believed, had made his sculpture of David using an eight-inch plaster model that was recently discovered after being lost for nearly 300 years.

B) An eight-inch plaster model is believed to have been used by Michelangelo for his sculpture of David and recently discovered after it was

My interpretation: :)
1. The major problem of option B is its tense. The word "recently" suggests that the action of "discover" happened lately, so it should apply to the present perfect (yet option B uses past tense).
2. The second problem is the tense used in the adverbial "after" time clause. "Lost for 30 years" precedes the discovery, and thus using "has been lost" is the clearer and more precise way of presenting the fact.
3. Although pronoun ("it") should not be the key to judge the correctness of the answer, it is still preferable to use "Ving" to solve the possible vagueness of the subject ("plaster model")

Thanks for checking my understanding in advance!
Wish you the best :angel:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
generis wrote:
Michelangelo, it is believed, had made his sculpture of David using an eight-inch plaster model that was recently discovered after being lost for nearly 300 years.

A) Michelangelo, it is believed, had made his sculpture of David using an eight-inch plaster model that was recently discovered after being

D) It is believed that an eight-inch plaster model that Michelangelo used for his sculpture of David and has recently been discovered after it was

E) It is believed that Michelangelo used an eight-inch plaster model for his sculpture of David, and it was recently discovered after having been

SC07920.02

I was deciding between (A) and (C) and these points made me choose (C) over (A).

"using ..." is a present participle and when it is used without a comma after a noun, it modifies the noun.
Present participle can be used at the end of the sentence to modify the entire previous clause with a comma. So there is that problem.
It seems that David was using the eight-inch plaster model.

Another problem, and one that seemed to be a bigger problem to me - the point of the sentence is not to tell you that M made his sculpture using a model (that has now been found), the point is to tell you that a model (that is believed to have been used by M) has been found. The critical information is tucked away in a modifier in option (A).
Also, here it seems that it was known that M had made David using the model and it is just additional info that the model has been found recently. Whereas, it seems more likely that the model was found and that is what gave the idea that M must have used it to make David.

Rectifies all our issues with (A).

It seems there are some questions about (D) too.

It is believed that ... a model (that M used) ... and has been discovered ...
It is missing the verb of subject model.

Hi VeritasKarishma

Although I choose C, as it was better then all the other options, but I have a doubt, shouldn't it be, An ceight-inch plaster model "was" believed ?

As "An eight-inch plaster model" is not doing the action of belief?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
sid0791 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
generis wrote:

SC07920.02

I was deciding between (A) and (C) and these points made me choose (C) over (A).

"using ..." is a present participle and when it is used without a comma after a noun, it modifies the noun.
Present participle can be used at the end of the sentence to modify the entire previous clause with a comma. So there is that problem.
It seems that David was using the eight-inch plaster model.

Another problem, and one that seemed to be a bigger problem to me - the point of the sentence is not to tell you that M made his sculpture using a model (that has now been found), the point is to tell you that a model (that is believed to have been used by M) has been found. The critical information is tucked away in a modifier in option (A).
Also, here it seems that it was known that M had made David using the model and it is just additional info that the model has been found recently. Whereas, it seems more likely that the model was found and that is what gave the idea that M must have used it to make David.

Rectifies all our issues with (A).

It seems there are some questions about (D) too.

It is believed that ... a model (that M used) ... and has been discovered ...
It is missing the verb of subject model.

Hi VeritasKarishma

Although I choose C, as it was better then all the other options, but I have a doubt, shouldn't it be, An ceight-inch plaster model "was" believed ?

As "An eight-inch plaster model" is not doing the action of belief?

The subject verb of the main clause is this:
An eight-inch plaster model ... has been discovered...

"believed to have been used by Michelangelo for his sculpture of David" is modifying the eight inch plaster model. "believed" is a past participle; it is not acting as a verb. Hence, you do not need "was believed".
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
generis wrote:

Too many commas are distorting the meaning whereas they ought to be connected without as the meaing is better conveyed

it was isn't the right usage therefore out

The meaning tense is absolutely perfect therefore let us hang on to it

Usage of and in the middle is absolutely unnecessary , distorting the intended meaning

Similar reasoning as D

THerefore IMO C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
GMATNinja, can you please explain why the usage of present perfect (has discovered) is appropriate in C? As far as I understand, discovery should happen at a point in time. Therefore, past tense, and not present perfect tense should be used.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts