GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2019, 09:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Michigan Ross MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines [2019 – 2020]

new topic post reply Update application status  
MBA Admissions Consultant
P
Michigan Ross MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines [2019 – 2020]  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2019, 11:51

The Michigan Ross MBA program is thriving. Its graduates are getting jobs throughout the United States and the world. Here are a few of the stats:

* 94% of 2018 grads had at least one job offer within three months of graduation.
    * Per Poets & Quants, Amazon is the top employer of Ross grads, and their 2018 Employment Report shows that consulting and tech snagged over 50% of all Ross MBAs.
    * The average GMAT score for the entering class of 2018 was 720, climbing from last year’s average of 716, which followed a dramatic 8 point increase for the 2017 entering class.
    * Average GPA moved up a notch from 3.46 to 3.48

Despite these fantastic results, Ross has the highest acceptance rate of any program in the US News Top 10: For the entering class of 2018, 27.1% of applicants were accepted, and in terms of Accepted’s Selectivity Index Ross placed #16.

All this means that the Michigan Ross MBA program is a fantastic option that is easier to get into than other top programs.

Michigan Ross 2019-20 MBA application tips

Ross kept the basic structure the same as last year and changed only one of the short answer questions. It still has the short answer questions with a little bit of choice to them. These short answer questions give you the means to paint a unique, multi-dimensional picture of yourself. Keep that goal in mind as you respond. You don’t have to be something you’re not, but you can certainly use these questions to provide context for events described elsewhere and different perspective on who you really are. Remember, the application is a way for the admissions committee to meet you.

The career goals essay has some minor and insignificant changes to the wording.

Michigan Ross MBA application short answer questions

Select one prompt from each group of the three groups below. (Choose one from each group; 100 words each)

While I wish Ross would have given you more room to answer these questions, make the most of what you’ve got. The first question you’re going to have to ask yourself is “Which prompts should I respond to?” Answer the question in each group that is easiest for you to answer and that allows you to present events and experiences that complement each other and the information provided in other parts of the application. You want to minimize repetition and overlap.

Ross hasn’t labeled the groups thematically. It seems to me that Group 1 is an opportunity for you to talk about something you’re proud of — a contribution you made or an achievement. Group 2 relates to handling a difficult experience or situation. And Group 3 is about you interacting with others. Again, choose the individual questions that allow you to present yourself best. All three groups ask for a behavioral response, where you discuss one experience or situation and reflect on it. You don’t have room for more.

Think a lot about what you want Ross to know about you as you choose the questions to answer. The question tells you what they want to know. Now answer it in such a way that allows you to tell them what you want them to know.

Group 1

I want people to know that I:
I made a difference when I:

Group 2

I am out of my comfort zone when:
I was humbled when:

Group 3

I was aware that I am different when:
I was challenged when:

The last prompt is the new one and broader than the related prompt last year.

Given the 100-word limit on each response to these behavioral questions, describe the incident or situation and succinctly analyze it in terms of the prompt. For example, why do you “want them to know” about X (Group 1, #1) or why were you humbled or out of your comfort zone for Group 2.

Michigan Ross MBA application essay questions

Ross MBA essay #1

Michigan Ross is a place where people from all backgrounds with different career goals can thrive. Please share your short-term career goal. Why is this career goal right for you? (300 words)

Ross is very clear in what it’s asking for with this MBA essay question: Your short-term career goals and the reasons (and experiences) that make this goal right for you.

The question is pretty straightforward. The word limits, however, will make it difficult to go into any depth. You could start with a “day in the life” that you foresee immediately after your MBA and discuss how you developed this vision for yourself. Given Ross’ strong behavioral approach I’d focus on a pivotal experience that shaped your goals. The experience could also reflect your fitness for your goals once you earn a Ross MBA.

Alternatively, you could start your application essay with an achievement or challenge that you faced and how it has influenced your goals. Tell the story of that experience and how it influenced your short-term MBA goals.

Ross MBA essay #2 (Optional statement)

This section should only be used to convey information not addressed elsewhere in your application, for example, completion of supplemental coursework, employment gaps, academic issues, etc. Feel free to use bullet points where appropriate.

Use this statement if necessary to provide context surrounding circumstances that effected your performance or that may lead admissions readers to the wrong conclusion about your abilities.

Ross doesn’t provide a word limit, but keep it short.

For expert guidance with your Michigan Ross MBA application, check out Accepted’s MBA Application Packages, which include comprehensive guidance from an experienced admissions consultant. We’ve helped hundreds of applicants get accepted to Michigan Ross’ MBA program and look forward to helping you too!

Michigan Ross 2019-20 Application Deadlines:

Round 1 Application Deadline September 30, 2019; Decisions Released December 18, 2019
Round 2 Application Deadline January 6, 2020; Decisions Released March 18, 2020
Round 3 Application Deadline March 30, 2020; Decisions Released May 8, 2020
***Disclaimer: Information is subject to change. Please check with individual programs to verify the essay questions, instructions and deadlines.***

By Linda Abraham, Accepted FounderBy Linda Abraham, president and founder of Accepted. Linda earned her bachelors and MBA at UCLA, and has been advising applicants since 1994 when she founded Accepted. Linda is the co-founder and first president of AIGAC. She has written or co-authored 13 e-books on the admissions process, and has been quoted by The Wall Street Journal, U.S. News, Poets & Quants, Bloomberg Businessweek, CBS News, and others. Linda is the host of Admissions Straight Talk, a podcast for graduate school applicants. Want an admissions expert help you get accepted? Click here to get in touch!

Related Resources:

5 Fatal Flaws to Avoid in Your MBA Application Essays, a free guide
Interview with the Michigan Ross Admissions Directors, a podcast episode
Michigan Ross’ Brand-New Online, Part-Time MBA, a podcast episode

This article originally appeared on blog.accepted.com.

Applying to a top b-school? The talented folks at Accepted have helped hundreds of applicants get accepted to their dream programs. Whether you are figuring out where to apply, writing your application essays, or prepping for your interviews, we are just a call (or click) away.

Contact us, and get matched up with the consultant who will help you get accepted!

Listen to Admissions Straight Talk for interviews with admissions directors, MBAs, test prep pros, and financial aid sources.
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
GMAT Club Bot
Michigan Ross MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines [2019 – 2020]   [#permalink] 23 Jun 2019, 11:51

Michigan Ross MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines [2019 – 2020]

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: variantguy