GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Mar 2019, 06:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Mideast immigrants rates of entrepreneurship exceed virtually every ot

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Mideast immigrants rates of entrepreneurship exceed virtually every ot  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2019, 12:20
IS here anyone , who can tell me the concept of "those of " . Help will be appreciated
Intern
Intern
Mideast immigrants rates of entrepreneurship exceed virtually every ot  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2019, 03:17
I'm just confused when to permit omitted words in comparison. For example:
Apples are more healthy to eat than caramels (are).
This example from Manhattan Sentence Correction shows that the omission is ok here. So if I change option B into this:
Mideast immigrants are exhibiting higher rates of entrepreneurship than every other immigrant group (is).
Would it be correct not to use those of in this situation?
If correct, what's the difference between than and exceed?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Mideast immigrants rates of entrepreneurship exceed virtually every ot  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2019, 01:56
mittalmohit1995 wrote:
IS here anyone , who can tell me the concept of "those of " . Help will be appreciated

“Those” is a pronoun – specifically a plural pronoun. Its singular equivalent is “that”, and you might find it helpful to read this entire post on the word “that”.

And check out this explanation above for more on what “those of” is doing in this particular sentence.

pollymonkey wrote:
I'm just confused when to permit omitted words in comparison. For example:
Apples are more healthy to eat than caramels (are).
This example from Manhattan Sentence Correction shows that the omission is ok here. So if I change option B into this:
Mideast immigrants are exhibiting higher rates of entrepreneurship than every other immigrant group (is).
Would it be correct not to use those of in this situation?
If correct, what's the difference between than and exceed?

There are no absolute rules when it comes to omitting words in comparisons. In general, it’s OK to omit words as long as the omission doesn’t cause any confusion. In both of your examples, my personal opinion is that the sentences are perfectly clear, regardless of whether you include or omit the extra verb.

You might also enjoy this post or this post or this post, all of which include discussions of when it’s acceptable to omit words in a comparison. But again, there are no absolute rules on this topic.

And if you really want a firehose of comparison content, check out this video and this sequel.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Mideast immigrants rates of entrepreneurship exceed virtually every ot   [#permalink] 10 Mar 2019, 01:56

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 23 posts ] 

Mideast immigrants rates of entrepreneurship exceed virtually every ot

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap