GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 15:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perh

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
Re: Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2010, 07:56
Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perhaps 18 million Americans, who collectively lose 64 million workdays a year, and they cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost work time.

(A) year, and they cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost - they can refer to 'Americans' or 'workdays'

(B) year and thus cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost - thus is correct here. Americans lose workdays and thus (therefore) cost the nation $50 billion (CORRECT)

(C) year, so as to cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost - 'so as to' is almost always incorrect in GMAT

(D) year that costs the nation $50 billion in lost medical expenses and - 'that' refers to year which is incorrect. The loss of $64 billion dollars is because of the loss of workdays and not because of 'year'

(E) year, which thus cost the nation $50 billion in lost medical expenses and - 'which incorrectly refers to 'year'
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2010, 09:19
OA please...this is confusing.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2010, 17:57
I might be wrong, but I believe Cost is one of those tricky ones where Cost is singular and costs are plural.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2011, 03:58
(B)

(A) year, and they cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost
(B) year and thus cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost
(C) year, so as to cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost
(D) year that costs the nation $50 billion in lost medical expenses and <missing lost>
(E) year, which thus cost the nation $50 billion in lost medical expenses and <missing lost>

Raptor

Manager
Manager
Re: Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2011, 03:58
(B)

(D) year that costs the nation $50 billion in lost medical expenses and <missing lost>
(E) year, which thus cost the nation $50 billion in lost medical expenses and <missing lost>

Raptor

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Re: Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2011, 04:58
HIMALAYA wrote:
automan wrote:
Can anyone explain why E is wrong?

the use of "which" is wrong in E. as used in the question, "which" refers to "year".

Quote:
Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perhaps 18 million Americans, who collectively lose 64 million workdays a year, and they cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost work time.
(E) year, which thus cost the nation $50 billion in lost medical expenses and

I think which can refer to migraine as well. "which" has another issue of not able to point living things i.e. Americans in this case.
This also means that "cost" is not possible because whether it is migrane or year as subject(if "which" is used), it will be a singular noun and cost is plural verb.

The primary reason why I kicked E out was "lost medical expenses and work time". "lost" is getting applicable on both of medical expenses and work time. It is fine in normal scenarios, but cost is already getting applied on medical expenses, which makes this lost redundant. It should not be "cost lost medical expenses", rather be "cost medical expenses" only.

So, there are multiple flaws for E to be kicked out.

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/1000-sc-notes-at-one-place-in-one-document-with-best-of-explanations-192961.html

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2012, 13:53
E is not out because of a parallelism issue, rather a meaning issue. You can't "lose medical expenses" as a result of migraines. Migraines would increase medical expenses, which is relayed in the OA of B: cost the nation $ and lost work time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2013, 07:01
", and they" makes the construction awkwrd. If they refers to the Americans then there is no need for the comma... Also, "they" should not be used... Look at the structure: "...afflicts blah blah Americans, who lose blah blah in a year and [they] cost.." NOT PARALLEL..

CORRECT. "who collectivelu lose blah blah and thus cost the nation blah blah" simply modifies Americans

"Migraine afflicts a number of Americans, who are blah blah in a year, so as to cost the nation..." changes the meaning by making the cost look intentional...

(D) year that costs the nation $50 billion in lost medical expenses and
misplaced modifier by touch-rule

(E) year, which thus cost the nation $50 billion in lost medical expenses and
"who collectively lose 64 million workdays a year, which costs..." is OUT because of misplaced modifier.

Answer: B

Impossible is nothing to God.

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2014, 06:20
The problem in D is one of diction. It says that it costs the nation 50bn in lost medical expenses and work time. This is not true. It should say something like in answer choice B. It costs the nation 50bn in medical expeneses and lost work time. See the difference?

Hope it helps
Cheers
J
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 15:17
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perh &nbs [#permalink] 02 Jul 2018, 15:17

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perh

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap