GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 17:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perh

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2005
Posts: 889
Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Aug 2017, 01:47
7
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

63% (00:54) correct 37% (00:56) wrong based on 192 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perhaps 18 million Americans, who collectively lose 64 million workdays a year, and they cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost work time.

(A) year, and they cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost

(B) year and thus cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost

(C) year, so as to cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost

(D) year that costs the nation $50 billion in lost medical expenses and

(E) year, which thus cost the nation $50 billion in lost medical expenses and

Originally posted by joemama142000 on 04 Dec 2005, 17:16.
Last edited by hazelnut on 11 Aug 2017, 01:47, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question and added OA
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 1644
Re: Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2005, 23:35
1
(B) year and thus cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost

will explain..
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2005
Posts: 1090
Location: CA
Re: Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2005, 23:38
HIMALAYA wrote:
(B) year and thus cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost

will explain..


shouldn't it be "costs" to agree in number with noun (Migraine) :?:
_________________

Whether you think you can or think you can't. You're right! - Henry Ford (1863 - 1947)

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 1644
Re: Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2005, 00:03
1
duttsit wrote:
HIMALAYA wrote:
(B) year and thus cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost
will explain..

shouldn't it be "costs" to agree in number with noun (Migraine) :?:


good question and i know you are intimited by the migrain.
the subject of the verb "cost" is not migrain.
the subject is "who". who refers to those migrain afflicted 18 mil people.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2005
Posts: 1090
Location: CA
Re: Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2005, 00:12
HIMALAYA wrote:
good question and i know you are intimited by the migrain.
the subject of the verb "cost" is not migrain.
the subject is "who". who refers to those migrain afflicted 18 mil people.


Gottit. you are too good for GMAT SC :P thanks.
_________________

Whether you think you can or think you can't. You're right! - Henry Ford (1863 - 1947)

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2005
Posts: 567
Re: Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2005, 03:31
I am stuck between B and E. I think there is nothing wrong with E but this question has been discussed several times and OA is B. I can not understand what is wrong with E. Can anyone explain why E is wrong?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 1816
Re: Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2005, 04:44
1
Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perhaps 18 million Americans, who collectively lose 64 million workdays a year, and they cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost work time.

(A) year, and they cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost
----> "they" is ambiguous , it can point to the "64 million workdays" or "the 18 million Americans" --> A out

(B) year and thus cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost
------> looks fine.

(C) year, so as to cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost
------> " so as to" is used to express purposes so it's unsuitably used here. --->out

(D) year that costs the nation $50 billion in lost medical expenses and
--->wrong in meaning coz what "costs the nation....." here is

(E) year, which thus cost the nation $50 billion in lost medical expenses and
-----> what "cost the nation...." should be "18 million Americans" , not "60 million workdays" ...thus E is incorrect.

I go for B.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 1644
Re: Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2005, 08:02
automan wrote:
Can anyone explain why E is wrong?

the use of "which" is wrong in E. as used in the question, "which" refers to "year".

Quote:
Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perhaps 18 million Americans, who collectively lose 64 million workdays a year, and they cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost work time.
(B) year and thus cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost
(E) year, which thus cost the nation $50 billion in lost medical expenses and
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
B
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5062
Re: Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2005, 09:34
It should be "lost work time" so out with D and E.

(B) seems to be the most grammatically correct of the three remaining choices.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2005
Posts: 889
Re: Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2005, 17:36
The OA is B


Can someone explain what the singular vs. plaural form of the verb "to cost"?

I was thought that the singular form of the verb "to cost" is "costs"

So isnt

"Migraine costs the nation" correct in this question?
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2005
Posts: 1090
Location: CA
Re: Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2005, 17:54
joemama142000 wrote:
The OA is B


Can someone explain what the singular vs. plaural form of the verb "to cost"?

I was thought that the singular form of the verb "to cost" is "costs"

So isnt

"Migraine costs the nation" correct in this question?


joemama142000, I had same question. Look at himalaya reply on this above.
_________________

Whether you think you can or think you can't. You're right! - Henry Ford (1863 - 1947)

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2005
Posts: 567
Re: Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2005, 03:27
HIMALAYA wrote:
automan wrote:
Can anyone explain why E is wrong?

the use of "which" is wrong in E. as used in the question, "which" refers to "year".

Quote:
Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perhaps 18 million Americans, who collectively lose 64 million workdays a year, and they cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost work time.
(B) year and thus cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost
(E) year, which thus cost the nation $50 billion in lost medical expenses and



I learned from the OG, that Which has always to refer to a previous noun, not to an idea, and that that reference must be clear. I think that in E, "which" clearly refers to workdays. There is not confution about that. And workdays is a noun. IMHO this can not be the error. I think the error is about meaning.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 1816
Re: Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2005, 03:54
automan wrote:
HIMALAYA wrote:
automan wrote:
Can anyone explain why E is wrong?

the use of "which" is wrong in E. as used in the question, "which" refers to "year".

Quote:
Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perhaps 18 million Americans, who collectively lose 64 million workdays a year, and they cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost work time.
(B) year and thus cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost
(E) year, which thus cost the nation $50 billion in lost medical expenses and



I learned from the OG, that Which has always to refer to a previous noun, not to an idea, and that that reference must be clear. I think that in E, "which" clearly refers to workdays. There is not confution about that. And workdays is a noun. IMHO this can not be the error. I think the error is about meaning.


sure, the error is about meaning. I think Himalaya also meant that coz he/she (???) :roll: wanted to point "which" to the correct object which it modifies.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 1644
Re: Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2005, 08:35
laxieqv wrote:
automan wrote:
HIMALAYA wrote:
automan wrote:
Can anyone explain why E is wrong?

the use of "which" is wrong in E. as used in the question, "which" refers to "year".

Quote:
Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perhaps 18 million Americans, who collectively lose 64 million workdays a year, and they cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost work time.
(B) year and thus cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost
(E) year, which thus cost the nation $50 billion in lost medical expenses and


I learned from the OG, that Which has always to refer to a previous noun, not to an idea, and that that reference must be clear. I think that in E, "which" clearly refers to workdays. There is not confution about that. And workdays is a noun. IMHO this can not be the error. I think the error is about meaning.


sure, the error is about meaning. I think Himalaya also meant that coz he/she (???) :roll: wanted to point "which" to the correct object which it modifies.

laxi gets here 800. :wink:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2010
Posts: 33
Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2010, 17:07
Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perhaps 18 million Americans, who collectively lose 64 million workdays a year, and they cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost work time.

(A) year, and they cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost
(B) year and thus cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost
(C) year, so as to cost the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost
(D) year that costs the nation $50 billion in lost medical expenses and
(E) year, which thus cost the nation $50 billion in lost medical expenses and

Please explain your answer. OA later
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 220
Schools: Sloan R1, McCombs R1, Ross R1 (w/int), Haas R2, Kellogg R2
WE 1: Product Engineering/Manufacturing
Re: Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2010, 19:13
I chose B, even though I don't like it much.

A) sloppy pronoun agreement - "they" could refer to workdays.
B) It's the best, but I don't like "thus" - it makes me think we shouldn't be considering the medical expense cost
C) "so as to cost" is just bad
D and E) misplaced modifier: "lost medical expenses"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2009
Posts: 373
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Re: Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2010, 20:58
Migraine ,,, afflicts perhaps 18 million Americans,,, who collectively lose 64 million workdays a year, and thus "cost" the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost work time.

Answer B does not make sense, migraine is singular, cost is missing s at the end.
So, by POE, i am choosing C
_________________

Never give up,,,

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 220
Schools: Sloan R1, McCombs R1, Ross R1 (w/int), Haas R2, Kellogg R2
WE 1: Product Engineering/Manufacturing
Re: Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2010, 21:04
mirzohidjon wrote:
Migraine ,,, afflicts perhaps 18 million Americans,,, who collectively lose 64 million workdays a year, and thus "cost" the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost work time.

Answer B does not make sense, migraine is singular, cost is missing s at the end.
So, by POE, i am choosing C


The problem with your reasoning is that "Americans" is the subject that "cost" agrees with. Notice the plural "lose"; "cost" needs to be parallel. At least that's how I read it. It can be very confusing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2009
Posts: 373
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Re: Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2010, 21:51
michigancat wrote:
mirzohidjon wrote:
Migraine ,,, afflicts perhaps 18 million Americans,,, who collectively lose 64 million workdays a year, and thus "cost" the nation $50 billion in medical expenses and lost work time.

Answer B does not make sense, migraine is singular, cost is missing s at the end.
So, by POE, i am choosing C


Thank you, got it. Now, I see why answer needs to be B. I have to be careful when reading SC :)
_________________

Never give up,,,

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 828
Location: Singapore
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2010, 22:59
Clearly GMAT trap.
(D) year that costs the nation $50 billion in lost medical expenses and ---> that modifies the year which is not the purpose. It should modify " lost workdays "
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, &nbs [#permalink] 23 Jun 2010, 22:59

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 30 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Migraine, the most debilitating common form of headache, afflicts perh

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.