It is currently 29 Jun 2017, 02:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE 1: 3 yrs
Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2010, 01:38
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (01:49) correct 40% (01:01) wrong based on 1183 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less, get better gas mileage, allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother ride.
A. Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less,
B. Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, they cost less,
C. Minivans carry as many as seven passengers, in comparison with most sport utility vehicles, and have a lower cost, they
D. Minivans, carrying as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less,
E. Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles the cost is lower, and they
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 26 Jul 2013, 09:46, edited 2 times in total.
Added OA.
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Re: Minivans [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2010, 02:13
This post received
KUDOS
Obvious D , a perfect question with two modifiers.

When there are too many words between verb and subject, error mostly lies in between both of them.

If any one has doubt pls let me know

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

Amazing Platform

Intern
Intern
WE 1: 3 yrs

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2010, 02:42
uhmm can you pls explain this with a little detail?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2010, 03:06
Dude...The answer to this one is A and not D
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/min ... t6094.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2010, 03:09
I advise u to check the source ur referring to-this is a GMAT Prep question if I am not wrong!
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2010, 17:40
psychomath wrote:

Thanks for the link.

I did answer A and then tried to figure out why D was right.

D sounded as if all the other qualities are true only when minivan is carrying seven passengers.

I thought that 'and' after seven passengers was awkward in A, but an instructor in MGMAT forum explains why it is ok.

OA is A according to manahattan GMAT forum, so you should check the OA once again studen26.

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2010, 18:39
This post received
KUDOS
A 8-)

I knew it! It was A.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2011, 21:05
student26 wrote:
Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less, get better gas mileage, allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother ride.
A. Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less,
B. Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, they cost less,
C. Minivans carry as many as seven passengers, in comparison with most sport utility vehicles, and have a lower cost, they
D. Minivans, carrying as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less,
E. Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles the cost is lower, and they

A. the use of and is wrong in this and id used either to introduce examples or join two clauses
b. they is ambiguous it can refer to suv
c. awkward
e they ambiguous
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2011, 21:49
psychomath wrote:

I also fell for D. Nice explination on the link you gave

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2011, 22:37
(A)

Minivans are compared to SUVs, not minivans carrying seven passengers. Using this logic, I eliminated D.
A is the only remaining option.

Raptor

7 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Re: Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2012, 22:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Consider options: B, C, and E.
Each of these sentences have "they" in it.
Option B:
A pronoun preceeded with a ',' always refers to the subject before the ','.
Therefore 'they' in "sports utility vechicles, they" refers to 'vechicles'.
But as per our original statement the author meant minivans to be cheaper.

So, eliminate option B.

Option C:
As already discussed for option B, a pronoun preceeded with a ',' always refers to the subject before the ',' .
Therefore 'they' in "have a lower cost, they" refers to 'lower cost' which according to autho should refer to minivans.

So, eliminate option C.

Option E:
Are you sure that 'they' in this statement is referring to 'minivans'? No, it may be referring to 'sports utility vechicles'.
There is an ambiguity as to whom 'they' is referring to.

Note that, in GMAT the option we choose shouldn't end up in ambiguity.

So, eliminate option E.

Now, we are left out only with options: A and D.

Consider option D :
Minivans, carrying as many as seven passengers,................, cost less.
What if these minivans carry just 6 passengers ? Are they going to cost more ??? Ruled out since it has changed the meaning.

We are left with just one option. Whether you agree or don't agree the left out option will be the answer.
And, the correct answer is option: A.

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2013, 22:15
How is the comparison maintained in this sentence? Totally stumped by this question I picked D. Detailed analysis anyone? Thanks!

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

5 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2013, 09:12
This post received
KUDOS
fozzzy wrote:
How is the comparison maintained in this sentence? Totally stumped by this question I picked D. Detailed analysis anyone? Thanks!

I will give it a try....Option B,C and E are ruled out
I Chose D while solving it under timed condition but I think A is the Answer.
So now Lets look at Sentence Structure of A

Clearly Subject is : Minivans
Verb: Consider Sentence Structure
" Compared with most sport utility vehicles,Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and cost less, get better gas mileage, allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother ride.
In this structure verbs are Carry and List of others verbs having structure V2,V3,v4 and v5

Here Compared with most sport utilitiy vehicles is a Verb-ed modifier and it is the placement of this modifier which creates a confusion.

Now let's look at Sentence Structure D
"Minivans, carrying as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less,

Carry is converted to Carrying (Verb-ing modifier). Verbing modifier after comma does one of the 2 things
1. present result of the preceding clause or
2. Present additional information about the clause.

In this sentence structure, we only have a Subject which is Minivans and not a complete clause and hence the placement of this modifier does not look appropriate.
Moreover this construction also changes the meaning of the sentence.
Note that Noun modifier should be close to the noun entity being modified. In this Sentence Structure, we have Noun, Modifier 1(verb-ing), Modifier 2(Verb-ed).
Modifier 2 could have been better placed

Clearly A looks better

Comments welcome!!

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2013, 09:32
Great analysis I would like to add if we change the structure a bit the sentence makes more sense and then you can see the comparison properly...

Original

Modified

compared with most sport utility vehicles,Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and,cost less, get better gas mileage, allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother ride.

Good question definitely on the higher side in terms of difficulty..

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Director
Director
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2013, 10:26
fozzzy wrote:
Great analysis I would like to add if we change the structure a bit the sentence makes more sense and then you can see the comparison properly...

Original

Modified

compared with most sport utility vehicles,Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and,cost less, get better gas mileage, allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother ride.

Thanks Fozzy!!!

My first kudos on SC post

Glad that you could understand the reasoning..

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2014, 10:04
This post received
KUDOS
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2015, 21:22
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2015, 13:37
WoundedTiger wrote:
fozzzy wrote:

Original

Modified

Thanks Fozzy!!!

My first kudos on SC post

Glad that you could understand the reasoning..

So is this possible because the presence of the word AND this is possible to invert to link COMPARED to the MINIVAN?

Also how would this change if the comma came before the AND? so ,AND compared instead of AND, Compared
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2015, 11:06
To analyze between A and D you have to check the meaning.

A -> Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and cost less,...
They carry as many seven passengers and they cost less

D -> Minivans, carrying as many as seven passengers, cost less,...
They cost less because they carry as many as seven passengers? It doesn't make sense
Expert Post
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2015, 21:13
The parallelism is - "cost", "get", "allow" and “have" (all verbs). So, the only answer is D. "Carry" and "compared" are not the parallel items here. You got confused in the parallelism part.

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

Re: Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2015, 21:13

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 29 posts ]