GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 May 2018, 18:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most spo

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Status: GMAT Expert
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 276
Location: India
Re: Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most spo [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2015, 21:13
The parallelism is - "cost", "get", "allow" and “have" (all verbs). So, the only answer is D. "Carry" and "compared" are not the parallel items here. You got confused in the parallelism part.
_________________

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4257
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most spo [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2015, 10:03
One must be clear about the comparison aspect in this question between MVs and SUVs. That the minivans carry seven passengers is just a description of the minivans’ feature and not part of the comparison with SUVs. Therefore, the comparison part should be delinked from the carriage capacity by a conjunction ‘and’, which is why A is correct. All the other four choice jumble up the comparison with the carrying capacity and end up wrong.

A. Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less, --- Comparison is limited to cost, mileage, comfort and ride ; correct.
B. Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, they cost less, --- carriage is part of the comparison; wrong
C. Minivans carry as many as seven passengers, in comparison with most sport utility vehicles, and have a lower cost, they -- comparison includes carriage

D. Minivans, carrying as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less, ---- comparison jumbled up with other four factors.

E. Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles the cost is lower, and they – same as in B, C and D.

Of course, if we go deeper, we do have many other modification errors. But the comparison is most revealing as an error marker.
_________________

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3201
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most spo [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2016, 12:37
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
scottleey wrote:
daagh wrote:
One must be clear about the comparison aspect in this question between MVs and SUVs. That the minivans carry seven passengers is just a description of the minivans’ feature and not part of the comparison with SUVs. Therefore, the comparison part should be delinked from the carriage capacity by a conjunction ‘and’, which is why A is correct. All the other four choice jumble up the comparison with the carrying capacity and end up wrong.

A. Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less, --- Comparison is limited to cost, mileage, comfort and ride ; correct.
B. Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, they cost less, --- carriage is part of the comparison; wrong
C. Minivans carry as many as seven passengers, in comparison with most sport utility vehicles, and have a lower cost, they -- comparison includes carriage

D. Minivans, carrying as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less, ---- comparison jumbled up with other four factors.

E. Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles the cost is lower, and they – same as in B, C and D.

Of course, if we go deeper, we do have many other modification errors. But the comparison is most revealing as an error marker.


daagh,

I guess from that perspective, it does make sense with an 'and'. However, I picked D precisely because A reads to me like:
Minivans carry xx and, yy, zz, ss, and ww.

Forgive me ignorance but isnt there simply too and 'and's in this construction?


There are 2 sets of items:

Set A: NOT compared with utility vehicles- this set consists of only one item ("carry" - xx in your construction)

AND

Set B: compared with utility vehicles - this set consists of 4 items ( "cost", "get", "allow" AND "have" - yy, zz, ss and ww in your construction)

Thus two AND's are required (as highlighted above in blue)
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 5783
Re: Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most spo [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2016, 08:26
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
badboson wrote:
clubzzang wrote:
clubzzang wrote:
Pls help me understand this Q correctly...

Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less, get better gas mileage, allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother ride.

A. Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less,
B. Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, they cost less,
C. Minivans carry as many as seven passengers, in comparison with most sport utility vehicles, and have a lower cost, they
D. Minivans, carrying as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less,
E. Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles the cost is lower, and they


OA given is D. I'm not sure if it is okay with having two participles (i.e. carrying~, compared~). I went to A since after the comma we have comparisons. Pls elaborate your answer further? Thanks.


I am confused. Is the OA 'A' or 'D'? Also can someone please elaborate the difference between 'A' & 'D' in details. Thanks in advance!!


Hi,
OA has to be A...
A properly maintains parallelism ...
Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less, get better gas mileage, allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother ride.

The problem in D is-
Minivans, carrying as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less,--
Modifier over modifier is an error here..
the VERB+ing modifier is wrongly used here..
_________________

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html


GMAT online Tutor

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2014
Posts: 23
Re: Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most spo [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2016, 10:35
spriya wrote:
spriya wrote:
grepro wrote:
Though initially i also selected A but on rethinking D can be the answer

Will try to explain...

Since cost is uncountable so "less" is preferred over "lower". This leaves us with A,B and D. B has an ambiguous "they".

I think the author is not simply trying to compare minivans with SUVs rather he comparing a minivan loaded with 7 passenger with most SUVs. D does that comparison very well.

Does that make sense???

oops i took the Question otherways :roll:
anyways why cant be the comparison be of general minivans?

here there are two cases :
(1) general minivans
(2)minivas loaded with 7 and more people
Again in the question stem we are comparing minivans with other utility vehicles hence it makes sense if we compare minivans in general ,their capacity and cost efficiency etc. with other vehicles

I would like to know how we will decide among above two ,that is actual intent in the statement

is too many and s creating a problem in (A)



D is definitely wrong.
If we take the grammar aspect
carrying and compared are past and present participle modifiers that modify Minivans. Both are parallel but they should be connected by and not comma
Minivans, carrying as many as seven passengers and compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less, get better gas mileage, allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother ride.
But even after taking grammar into account the intended meaning changes.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 31 Jan 2016
Posts: 10
Re: Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most spo [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 10:46
chetan2u wrote:
clubzzang wrote:
clubzzang wrote:
Pls help me understand this Q correctly...

Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less, get better gas mileage, allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother ride.

A. Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less,
B. Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, they cost less,
C. Minivans carry as many as seven passengers, in comparison with most sport utility vehicles, and have a lower cost, they
D. Minivans, carrying as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less,
E. Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles the cost is lower, and they


OA given is D. I'm not sure if it is okay with having two participles (i.e. carrying~, compared~). I went to A since after the comma we have comparisons. Pls elaborate your answer further? Thanks.


I am confused. Is the OA 'A' or 'D'? Also can someone please elaborate the difference between 'A' & 'D' in details. Thanks in advance!!


Though,I completely understand all the explanations of option A,I somewhat did not understand the parallelism in A.
In A : Minivans carry... and compared...
Here ,I feel that carry is a verb and compared is a verb-ed modifier.(because,minivans do not do the action of comparing,so "compared" is not a verb). So,how will a verb be parallel to a verb-ed modifier? Does it not violate the rule for parallelism?

Can someone please help me identify where I am going wrong in my understanding?
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3201
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most spo [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2016, 13:04
Swethas9 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
clubzzang wrote:

OA given is D. I'm not sure if it is okay with having two participles (i.e. carrying~, compared~). I went to A since after the comma we have comparisons. Pls elaborate your answer further? Thanks.


I am confused. Is the OA 'A' or 'D'? Also can someone please elaborate the difference between 'A' & 'D' in details. Thanks in advance!!


Though,I completely understand all the explanations of option A,I somewhat did not understand the parallelism in A.
In A : Minivans carry... and compared...
Here ,I feel that carry is a verb and compared is a verb-ed modifier.(because,minivans do not do the action of comparing,so "compared" is not a verb). So,how will a verb be parallel to a verb-ed modifier? Does it not violate the rule for parallelism?

Can someone please help me identify where I am going wrong in my understanding?


The parallelism is not between "carry" and "compared". Here the two parallel verbs are "carry" and "cost". The basic structure of the sentence is as below:

Minivans carry passengers and cost less.

"compared with most sport utility vehicles" is a non-essential past participle (verb-ed) modifier, as you have correctly identified, and hence separated by two commas.
1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3472
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most spo [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2016, 05:10
1
This post received
KUDOS
pooja k wrote:
Can anyone justify the placement of comma after "and" in option A?

Will the placement of comma before "and" alter the meaning of the sentence?

Kindly help,
Thanks in advance.


Its used only to make a comparison. ", compared with most sport utility vehicles,". Notice if we remove this phrase we will still get a meaningful sentence.
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place

!NEW! Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 908
Location: Bangalore, India
Re: Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most spo [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2016, 09:53
1
This post received
KUDOS
pooja k wrote:
Can anyone justify the placement of comma after "and" in option A?

Will the placement of comma before "and" alter the meaning of the sentence?

Hi Pooja, the comma is not after and; the comma is before compared.

Basically compared with most sport utility vehicles is called a Parenthetical Expression in English grammar. Such expressions temporarily interrupt the main sentence.

The main sentence here is: Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and cost less.....
_________________

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Sep 2015
Posts: 105
Re: Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most spo [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2016, 13:50
When choosing between A and D, I picked A because I considered the "carry as many as seven passengers" to be essential to the sentence, vs. in D, where its in a gerund form and set off by commas. The gerund isn't the issue, more that the commas are indicating that the phrase is non-essential. Another hint for the phrase being essential is that the sentence is giving us examples as to why minivans are better than SUVs, and the "carry as many as seven passengers" is one of the examples.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 175
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Premium Member
Re: Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most spo [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2017, 06:45
i was confused between A and D.
can someone explain why A is correct and D is wrong.

what is the difference between A and D in terms of meaning
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3201
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most spo [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2017, 07:33
brs1cob wrote:
i was confused between A and D.
can someone explain why A is correct and D is wrong.

what is the difference between A and D in terms of meaning


Two consecutive modifiers without a conjunction in between is considered awkward - "carrying as many as seven passengers" and "compared with most sport utility vehicles" does not have a conjunction in between. Therefore D is wrong.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 27 Mar 2014
Posts: 104
Schools: ISB '19, IIMA , IIMB
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
Re: Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most spo [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 09:55
Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less, get better gas mileage, allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother ride.

List 1 : Carry and (cost,get,allow,andhave)

List 2 : cost,get,allow,and have
Re: Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most spo   [#permalink] 28 Aug 2017, 09:55

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 33 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most spo

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.