It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 13:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most spo

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3504 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most spo [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2016, 13:04
Swethas9 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
clubzzang wrote:

OA given is D. I'm not sure if it is okay with having two participles (i.e. carrying~, compared~). I went to A since after the comma we have comparisons. Pls elaborate your answer further? Thanks.

I am confused. Is the OA 'A' or 'D'? Also can someone please elaborate the difference between 'A' & 'D' in details. Thanks in advance!!

Though,I completely understand all the explanations of option A,I somewhat did not understand the parallelism in A.
In A : Minivans carry... and compared...
Here ,I feel that carry is a verb and compared is a verb-ed modifier.(because,minivans do not do the action of comparing,so "compared" is not a verb). So,how will a verb be parallel to a verb-ed modifier? Does it not violate the rule for parallelism?

Can someone please help me identify where I am going wrong in my understanding?

The parallelism is not between "carry" and "compared". Here the two parallel verbs are "carry" and "cost". The basic structure of the sentence is as below:

Minivans carry passengers and cost less.

"compared with most sport utility vehicles" is a non-essential past participle (verb-ed) modifier, as you have correctly identified, and hence separated by two commas.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 46

Re: Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most spo [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2016, 02:23
Can anyone justify the placement of comma after "and" in option A?

Will the placement of comma before "and" alter the meaning of the sentence?

Kindly help,
Thanks in advance.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 46

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 908 [1], given: 67

GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2016, 05:10
This post received
KUDOS
pooja k wrote:

Kindly help,
Thanks in advance.

Its used only to make a comparison. ", compared with most sport utility vehicles,". Notice if we remove this phrase we will still get a meaningful sentence.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 908 [1], given: 67

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 321 [1], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2016, 09:53
This post received
KUDOS
pooja k wrote:

Hi Pooja, the comma is not after and; the comma is before compared.

Basically compared with most sport utility vehicles is called a Parenthetical Expression in English grammar. Such expressions temporarily interrupt the main sentence.

The main sentence here is: Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and cost less.....

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 321 [1], given: 12

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 136

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2016, 13:50
When choosing between A and D, I picked A because I considered the "carry as many as seven passengers" to be essential to the sentence, vs. in D, where its in a gerund form and set off by commas. The gerund isn't the issue, more that the commas are indicating that the phrase is non-essential. Another hint for the phrase being essential is that the sentence is giving us examples as to why minivans are better than SUVs, and the "carry as many as seven passengers" is one of the examples.

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 136

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 314

Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2017, 06:45
i was confused between A and D.
can someone explain why A is correct and D is wrong.

what is the difference between A and D in terms of meaning

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 314

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2017, 07:33
brs1cob wrote:
i was confused between A and D.
can someone explain why A is correct and D is wrong.

what is the difference between A and D in terms of meaning

Two consecutive modifiers without a conjunction in between is considered awkward - "carrying as many as seven passengers" and "compared with most sport utility vehicles" does not have a conjunction in between. Therefore D is wrong.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 19

Schools: ISB '19, IIMA , IIMB
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 09:55
Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less, get better gas mileage, allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother ride.

List 1 : Carry and (cost,get,allow,andhave)

List 2 : cost,get,allow,and have

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 19

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 12:10
daagh wrote:
IMO

The first thing to remember here is that this is a test of list //ism. That said, we must decide how many lists are there and what their corresponding arms are?

Is it one list that contains five arms?

Or

Are there two lists, one containing one arm and the other containing four arms?

Further elaborated, the two issues are whether

A. Mini vans is the plural subject followed by one simple long list comprising 1)carry four passengers 2. Compared to SUVS cost less 3) gets better gas mileage and 4) allow passengers to get in and get out easily and 5 have a smoother ride

Or

B. Mini vans is the plural subject followed by list 1. Carry seven passengers and list no 2, compared to SUVS (1 cost less, 2 get better gas mileage 3 allow passengers to get in and get out easily and 4. have a smoother ride)

If we say it is one long, long list with five arms, then the structure will be subject + arm1, arm2, arm3, arm4 and arm 5. It may be noted none of the choices has this structure.

If it is a question of two lists, then the structure will be subject + list 1 and list 2 containing arm 1, arm 2, arm 3 and arm 4.

This is the typical structure in choice A. That is why it is the right answer.

Finally in D, the act of the participial phase “carrying as many as seven passengers, compared with most SUVs,” totally distorts the meaning of the original text by shifting the comparison to carrying capacity, rather than to other factors such as cost, mileage, ease and smoother ride between the two types of automobiles involved.

I am always confused between the use of cost vs costs like which is singular and which is plural, I have seen sometimes that costs is used as plural and sometimes its usage is singular.
Daagh Sir can you please clarify this.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most spo   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2017, 12:10

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 49 posts ] 

Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most spo

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap