It is currently 21 Aug 2017, 16:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Minnesota is the only one of the contiguous forty-eight states that st

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1739 [0], given: 229

GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Minnesota is the only one of the contiguous forty-eight states that st [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2014, 04:02
Minnesota is the only one of the contiguous forty-eight states that still has a sizable wolf population, and where this predator remains the archenemy of cattle and sheep.

A. that still has a sizable wolf population, and where --- Parallelisms error: we can not place that clause parallel to where clause.
B. that still has a sizable wolf population, where --- where (relative pronoun) is modifying the population.
C. that still has a sizable population of wolves, and where -- same error as in A.
D. where the population of wolves is still sizable; --- separation of ideas by semicolon doesn't go well in this option.
E. where there is still a sizable population of wolves and where --- Though "where there" sounds awkward, E presents perfect parallelism and keeps ideas properly connected.

Therefore, E is Right.

Note: verb "has" in choice A, B and C is fine; it agrees with "the only one".
... the only one of the factors that ...(use singular verb)...
... (only) one of the factors that ... (use plural verb)...

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1739 [0], given: 229

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 20

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.1
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Minnesota is the only one of the contiguous forty-eight states that st [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2014, 02:39
souvik101990 wrote:
Minnesota is the only one of the contiguous forty-eight states that still has a sizable wolf population, and where this predator remains the archenemy of cattle and sheep.

A. that still has a sizable wolf population, and where
B. that still has a sizable wolf population, where
C. that still has a sizable population of wolves, and where
D. where the population of wolves is still sizable;
E. where there is still a sizable population of wolves and where

E seems to be correct

A. that still has a sizable wolf population, and where---->lack of parallelism between "that" and "where". Also, "that" can't refer to a physical place.
B. that still has a sizable wolf population, where----> same as A. Also, "where" incorrectly refers to "population".
C. that still has a sizable population of wolves, and where-----> same as A
D. where the population of wolves is still sizable; Incorrect usage of colon. The two sentences should be connected by a connector such as "and".
E. where there is still a sizable population of wolves and where[/quote]

KUDOS if you find it good!!

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 20

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 75

Dheeraj: Madaraboina
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2014, 20:04
A: that and where ----- not parallel.
B : Where is referring to wolf population
C: that and where ---- not parallel
D: The sentence after the Semi colon does not refer to Minnesota, which is the subject of the sentence.
E : where and where ------ parallel.
Hence E is the correct choice. Hope this helps.

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 75

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 20

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.1
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2014, 19:33
This post received
KUDOS
maggie27 wrote:
PiyushK wrote:

A. that still has a sizable wolf population, and where --- Parallelisms error: we can not place that clause parallel to where clause.
B. that still has a sizable wolf population, where --- where (relative pronoun) is modifying the population.
C. that still has a sizable population of wolves, and where -- same error as in A.
D. where the population of wolves is still sizable; --- separation of ideas by semicolon doesn't go well in this option.
E. where there is still a sizable population of wolves and where --- Though "where there" sounds awkward, E presents perfect parallelism and keeps ideas properly connected.

Therefore, E is Right.

Note: verb "has" in choice A, B and C is fine; it agrees with "the only one".
... the only one of the factors that ...(use singular verb)...
... (only) one of the factors that ... (use plural verb)...

Hi Piyush,
Can u please elaborate a lil more as to why semicolon doesn't seem to go well in option D? I see no specific reason to eliminate it.

Hi,

Semicolon is used when the two clauses are independent but closely related. If you use a semicolon, then the second clause will be "this predator remains the archenemy of cattle and sheep." Now, the second clause becomes a generalization and doesn't indicate whether the action happens in Minnesota or the action happens in general.

Regards,
Akshay

KUDOS if you find it good!!

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 20

4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.

Kudos [?]: 198 [4] , given: 133

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2015, 01:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

A. that still has a sizable wolf population, and where - "contiguous 48 states" is plural and being the subject of the "that" clause, needs the plural verb "have" and not "has". "that" ||"where"

B. that still has a sizable wolf population, where - "contiguous 48 states" is plural and being the subject of the "that" clause, needs the plural verb "have" and not "has". "Population" is not a place

C. that still has a sizable population of wolves, and where - "contiguous 48 states" is plural and being the subject of the "that" clause, needs the plural verb "have" and not "has". "that" ||"where"

D. where the population of wolves is still sizable; - "where" correctly refers back to a place". But the "population of the wolves" and "predator" wolves "being an archenemy of cattle and sheep" are 2 related ideas which can best be presented by a conjunction "and" and not by a semi colon clause. The purpose of the part remains ambiguous because of this.

E. where there is still a sizable population of wolves and where Correct

Kudos [?]: 198 [4] , given: 133

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

GPA: 3.47
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2015, 08:11
What's wrong with the semicolon usage in D?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 362

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2015, 08:28
D. where the population of wolves is still sizable;

This sentence implies that the population of the wolves is sizable(verb).. Used as a verb the meaning is distorted... I initially thought semi colon dosent make sense here but now I'm not sure if the usage is justified or not..

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 362

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 74 [1] , given: 101

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2015, 08:40
This post received
KUDOS
i think the obvious split is choosing between "that" and "where". "where" clearly makes sense since the underlined portion of the sentence describes about a specific characteristic about Minnesota-"that" seems to refer to other states, which clearly is not what the sentence is trying to convey. Choice D has meaning error, and therefore the right answer is choice E, both logically and syntactically correct.

Kudos [?]: 74 [1] , given: 101

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2015, 21:58
Between C and E , I chose E as it perfectly parallels where....where
A and B are out due to ambiguous modifier usage sizable wolf population. Is it population of sizable wolf or sizable population of wolves ?
D is clearly awkward and out.

E it is!

“It’s not that I’m so smart; it’s just that I stay with problems longer.” - Albert Einstein
"Kirib chiqma, bilib chiq."
"Век живи́ - век учи́сь."

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 15

Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2015, 05:27
stuck b/w D n E option
Why D is wrong

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 15

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 1635 [1] , given: 792

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2015, 06:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
kanigmat011 wrote:
stuck b/w D n E option
Why D is wrong

D has a semicolon and as such should make sense with/show result of the portion before the semicolon. The intended meaning of the sentence is that there are 2 things mentioned about Minesotta: 1. It is one of those states where there is a sizable wolf population and 2. the wolves there are the archenemies of cattle etc.

Option D breaks this implied relation and by putting it IC1;IC2 (IC = independent clause) , the 'relatedness' is lost.

Thursday with Ron updated list as of July 1st, 2015: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolidated-thursday-with-ron-list-for-all-the-sections-201006.html#p1544515
Rules for Posting in Quant Forums: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html
Writing Mathematical Formulae in your posts: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html#p1096628
GMATCLUB Math Book: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-book-in-downloadable-pdf-format-130609.html
Everything Related to Inequalities: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-made-easy-206653.html#p1582891
Inequalities tips: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-tips-and-hints-175001.html
Debrief, 650 to 750: http://gmatclub.com/forum/650-to-750-a-10-month-journey-to-the-score-203190.html

Kudos [?]: 1635 [1] , given: 792

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
WE: Operations (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2015, 05:27
applebus wrote:
SamuelWitwicky wrote:
applebus wrote:

What does this refer to?

yeah I get that part - "this" cannot be referring to wolf population but should refer to the wolves. However, the earlier threads were saying that options A,B and C should contain "have" not "has", which I feel is wrong: "has" is completely correct. that's my point.

Focus on just this part:
Minnesota is the only one of the contiguous forty-eight states that still has a sizable wolf population.

In the answer choices A,B and C, others were saying they are wrong because it should be "have".

I find a lot of this type of questions and sum that " one of ..... that + plural verb.

But I still do not clearly understand the word "this" because wolves are plural. It should be wolf or replace this with these

lol i just realised you were asking a question. I thought you were prompting me in my quest for an answer. no dude, "this" refers to a wolf as a species that is a predator.

Minnesota is the only one of the contiguous forty-eight states where there is still a sizable population of wolves and where this predator remains the archenemy of cattle and sheep.

Referring to the correct answer above, the statement seeks to convey 2 things:
1. Minnesota has a sizable population of wolves AND
2. this wolf found in Minnesota is a predator and remains the archenemy of ...

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 36

4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
G
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7264 [4] , given: 347

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2015, 08:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This question is one of the most ticklish problems for a variety of reasons. First of all, this is GMATPREP question. By marking the word ‘this’ in the non-underlined part, GMAT is giving us a message that we should wink at it and leave it, whatever be the its reference since GMAT is known to be liberal in the reference of the pronouns.

But more importantly: is the use of the singular ‘has’ correct?

Look at some examples

1. Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the many new satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces to detailed scrutiny from space.
-Correct choice: E. satellites that are part of a 15-year effort to subject the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, ocean, and land surfaces

2. With its abundance of noun inflections, Icelandic is one of several Germanic languages that is compact when written but can lengthen considerably when translated into English.
Correct Choice: (D) that are compact when written but can lengthen considerably in English translation

One of Xs.........................Singular verb
One of the students has secured centum (without that / who)

One of Xs...that/who........Plural verb
One of the students that/ who have secured centum (with that or who) Xs = the students

Only one of Xs...that/who...Plural verb
Only one of the students who / that have secured centum

Only one of the Xs ...........Singular verb
Only one of the students has secured centum

The only one of the Xs that/who.Singular verb
The only one of the students that/ who has secured centum

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7264 [4] , given: 347

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 22

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2016, 05:55
This post received
KUDOS
gkslko101 wrote:

(A) that still has a sizable wolf population, and where
(B) that still has a sizable wolf population, where
(C) that still has a sizable population of wolves, and where
(D) where the population of wolves is still sizable;
(E) where there is still a sizable population of wolves and where

Which one is better sizable wolf population or sizable population of wolves.
Please explain the answer?

Hi, I have a question why "Has" in A,B,C is wrong.

As it says: "Minnesota is the only one of the contiguous forty-eight states..." shouldn't the singular "has" be correct as it is not "only one of the ...

A clear explanation would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2016, 10:38
This post received
KUDOS
daagh wrote:
In ‘one of the plural + that construction, the ‘that’ is a relative pronoun for the noun before, namely, ‘states’ in this case, which is plural. So ‘that’ is also plural in character and takes the plural verb ‘have’ rather than ‘has’ as erroneously mentioned in A, B and C. Therefore, we can remove those three choices in one sleight
A semicolon connects two Ics that have some relationship. In D, the clauses stand aloof from each other. Therefore, D is inferior to E, which is well connected with a conjunction and which maintains the ‘where’ parallelism on both wings.

Hey, I'm not sure whether you understood my problem. Let me try to rephrase it:

I'm aware that if it says "only one of..." (without the in front of only) it's plural.

But I was under the impression that if it says "the only one of..." then it must be singular.

And in the the stem it says:

"Minnesota is the only one of the contiguous forty-eight states that still has a sizable wolf population, and where this predator remains the archenemy of cattle and sheep."

So it is not: "Minnesota is only one of the"... where it's obviously plural then

Can you find the error in my thinking here? Or maybe I am reading the sentence wrong. I don't know.

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
G
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7264 [1] , given: 347

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2016, 13:10
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Nova, Hi
You are right. When you say, it is the only one, then the verb should be ‘has’. Choices A B and C have no SV error but are wrong because of inferior parallelism of using 'that' in the first place and 'where'in the second place.
Relatively E, you can see, is using where for both the clauses.
In B ‘where’ without the ‘and’ seems to be referring to 'population' which is not a place.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7264 [1] , given: 347

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 4

GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2016, 09:23
This post received
KUDOS
syamee_u wrote:
gkslko101 wrote:

(A) that still has a sizable wolf population, and where
(B) that still has a sizable wolf population, where
(C) that still has a sizable population of wolves, and where
(D) where the population of wolves is still sizable;
(E) where there is still a sizable population of wolves and where

Which one is better sizable wolf population or sizable population of wolves.
Please explain the answer?

as already explained

one of Plural noun that plural verb

A,B,C - out

E - wordy. 'there is' is redundant

D - best.

Hello my friend,
I am afraid you are not correct in your logic to eliminate A.B and C.
The subject is Minnesota because of - 'the only one' and hence singular 'has' is required. If it reads as 'one of the' then the subject will be 'states' and hence plural form of verb.
The POE for A,B and C should be based on parallelism as described by other members in this thread.
Hope that helps!
Cheers...

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 4

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2016, 09:27
Nova12 wrote:
daagh wrote:
In ‘one of the plural + that construction, the ‘that’ is a relative pronoun for the noun before, namely, ‘states’ in this case, which is plural. So ‘that’ is also plural in character and takes the plural verb ‘have’ rather than ‘has’ as erroneously mentioned in A, B and C. Therefore, we can remove those three choices in one sleight
A semicolon connects two Ics that have some relationship. In D, the clauses stand aloof from each other. Therefore, D is inferior to E, which is well connected with a conjunction and which maintains the ‘where’ parallelism on both wings.

Hey, I'm not sure whether you understood my problem. Let me try to rephrase it:

I'm aware that if it says "only one of..." (without the in front of only) it's plural.

But I was under the impression that if it says "the only one of..." then it must be singular.

And in the the stem it says:

"Minnesota is the only one of the contiguous forty-eight states that still has a sizable wolf population, and where this predator remains the archenemy of cattle and sheep."

So it is not: "Minnesota is only one of the"... where it's obviously plural then

Can you find the error in my thinking here? Or maybe I am reading the sentence wrong. I don't know.

You are absolutely correct my friend. Hold on to that concept! However, the POE for A,B and C are based on parallelism as mentioned by other members in this thread.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2016, 11:27
daagh wrote:
This question is one of the most ticklish problems for a variety of reasons. First of all, this is GMATPREP question. By marking the word ‘this’ in the non-underlined part, GMAT is giving us a message that we should wink at it and leave it, whatever be the its reference since GMAT is known to be liberal in the reference of the pronouns.

But more importantly: is the use of the singular ‘has’ correct?

Look at some examples

1. Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the many new satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces to detailed scrutiny from space.
-Correct choice: E. satellites that are part of a 15-year effort to subject the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, ocean, and land surfaces

2. With its abundance of noun inflections, Icelandic is one of several Germanic languages that is compact when written but can lengthen considerably when translated into English.
Correct Choice: (D) that are compact when written but can lengthen considerably in English translation

One of Xs.........................Singular verb
One of the students has secured centum (without that / who)

One of Xs...that/who........Plural verb
One of the students that/ who have secured centum (with that or who) Xs = the students

Only one of Xs...that/who...Plural verb
Only one of the students who / that have secured centum

Only one of the Xs ...........Singular verb
Only one of the students has secured centum

The only one of the Xs that/who.Singular verb
The only one of the students that/ who has secured centum

Can someone please explain?

Minnesota is the only one of the contiguous forty-eight states that still has

As per the above rules of using singular/plural verbs, doesn't this sentence falls under the last rule where "the only one of the Xs" takes singular verb?
Yet the answer says the verb should be plural.

daagh

Last edited by sannidhya on 20 Jun 2016, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 00:42
THE NUMBER OF takes singular verb
A NUMBER OF takes plural verb
NOT ONE always takes singular verb (I put this here just in case)

In our sentence "Minnesota is the only one of the contiguous..." - therefore the verb should be singular
where and where - should be parallel

Two parallel clauses often both start with subordinators in order to remove ambiguity. In this instance, the subordinator must be repeated for both clauses!

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 29

Re: Minnesota is the only one of the contiguous forty-eight states that st   [#permalink] 14 Mar 2017, 00:42

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 51 posts ]