GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 11:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Modern headlamps, such as those using halogen and xenon, cast light th

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User
Modern headlamps, such as those using halogen and xenon, cast light th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 08:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (01:47) correct 39% (01:48) wrong based on 368 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Modern headlamps, such as those using halogen and xenon, cast light that is brighter and whiter than traditional incandescent bulbs, creating the illusion that they are safer and better.

A. such as those using halogen and xenon, cast light that is brighter and whiter than traditional incandescent bulbs, creating
B. such as those that use halogen and xenon, cast light that is brighter and whiter than those that traditional incandescent bulbs project and create
C. including those that use halogen and xenon, cast light that is brighter and whiter than traditional incandescent bulbs and create
D. such as those that use halogen and xenon, cast light that is brighter and whiter than what traditional incandescent bulbs project, creating
E. including those using halogen and xenon, cast light that is brighter and whiter than those that traditional incandescent bulbs project and create

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/
Marshall & McDonough Moderator
D
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Modern headlamps, such as those using halogen and xenon, cast light th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 23:16
A. such as those using halogen and xenon, cast light that is brighter and whiter than traditional incandescent bulbs, creating - Incorrect comparison. "Brighter and whiter" is compare with traditional incandescent bulbs.

B. such as those that use halogen and xenon, cast light that is brighter and whiter than those that traditional incandescent bulbs project and create - Comparison error. "Brighter and whiter" is compared with modern headlamps.

C. including those that use halogen and xenon, cast light that is brighter and whiter than traditional incandescent bulbs and create - Changes meaning + Comparison error.

D. such as those that use halogen and xenon, cast light that is brighter and whiter than what traditional incandescent bulbs project, creating - Correct.

E. including those using halogen and xenon, cast light that is brighter and whiter than those that traditional incandescent bulbs project and create - Changes meaning + Comparison error.

Answer: D
Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Modern headlamps, such as those using halogen and xenon, cast light th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2017, 15:33
tough one...
A. compares light with bulbs - out
B. close one, but changes the meaning - creating - is an ing modifier that presents the results of the previous clause...
C. same comparison mistake as in A + including - i don't like it..
D. corrects the only mistake in A - comparison error...looks good.
E. same mistake as in B + including - not good.

D is the answer!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2019, 00:01
A – ‘brighter and whiter’ is compared to ‘traditional incandescent bulbs’ – Wrong
B – ‘brighter and whiter’ is compared to ‘modern headlamps’
C – ‘including’ changes the meaning of the sentence.
D – correct
E – Same as C

D is the right answer
Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 3.33
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2019, 00:30
Here is my approach, within 5 seconds, I identify the main subject and main verb. Then, I read the part tat is underlined to find possible flaws. If I cannot find any, then I skim through 5 options to split the answer. In this question, I find that "creating" and "brighter and whiter than" are 2 possible flaws.

A is the answer.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2019, 17:58
mvictor wrote:
tough one...
A. compares light with bulbs - out
B. close one, but changes the meaning - creating - is an ing modifier that presents the results of the previous clause...
C. same comparison mistake as in A + including - i don't like it..
D. corrects the only mistake in A - comparison error...looks good.
E. same mistake as in B + including - not good.

D is the answer!

I don't think "ing" modifier is an issue in B.

"MHs cast light, creating illusion"
Manager
Manager
B
Modern headlamps, such as those using halogen and xenon, cast light th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2019, 18:05
Sidharth8 wrote:
A – ‘brighter and whiter’ is compared to ‘traditional incandescent bulbs’ – Wrong
B – ‘brighter and whiter’ is compared to ‘modern headlamps’
C – ‘including’ changes the meaning of the sentence.
D – correct
E – Same as C

D is the right answer

Hi Sidharth8,
How "brighter & whiter" are compared to MHs.

B. such as those that use halogen and xenon, cast light that is brighter and whiter than those that traditional incandescent bulbs project and create
D. such as those that use halogen and xenon, cast light that is brighter and whiter than what traditional incandescent bulbs project, creating

Between B & D, I find both okay. But in B, can second "those" be an issue ? Light is a singular hence "those" can't be used.
However, in D also, use of "what" seems to be in an issue. But still D seems better than B, also because D is shorter.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2019, 18:59
AKY13 wrote:
Between B & D, I find both okay. But in B, can second "those" be an issue ? Light is a singular hence "those" can't be used.
However, in D also, use of "what" seems to be in an issue. But still D seems better than B, also because D is shorter.

My friend, I would like to say that your reasoning about D is not right. D is not the best choice because it is shorter. It is the only correct answer choice among the offered ones. Let me explain why. Plug B in the original sentence and see what happens:

Modern headlamps, such as those that use halogen and xenon, cast light that is brighter and whiter than those that traditional incandescent bulbs project and create the illusion that they are safer and better.

First, what does "those" refer to? Halogen and xenon? Hm... The comparison is between the headlamps and the light that they emit. The sentence would have been better if it said cast light that is better and whiter than that (the light) that traditional bulbs project.

Second, there is a meaning problem with project and create. The sentence literally says that "traditional bulbs project (light?) and create the illusion that they are safer and better". Okay, sounds not too bad. But... The meaning infers that the first type of bulbs (halogen and xenon) are supposed to be better, i.e. emit brighter and whiter light, creating the illusion ... .

So, answer choice D resolves the above issues: cast light that is brighter and whiter than what traditional incandescent bulbs project, creating. Here, light from halogen and xenon lamps is compared with something (some other light) which turns to be a phrase "what traditional bulbs project", and fancy "brighter and whiter light (from halogen and xenon lamps)" leads to creation of illusion.
GMAT Club Bot
Modern headlamps, such as those using halogen and xenon, cast light th   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2019, 18:59

Modern headlamps, such as those using halogen and xenon, cast light th

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics