GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 24 Apr 2018, 03:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Modern navigation systems, which are found in most of today

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Modern navigation systems, which are found in most of today [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2015, 10:07
Modern navigation systems are made with low-power circuitry, which is more susceptible to interference than the vacuum-tube circuitry found in older planes. ................................more weak
During landing, navigation systems receive radio signals from the airport to guide the plane to the runway...............general fact or principle
Recently, one plane with low-power circuitry veered off course during landing when a passenger turned on a laptop computer............one example of weakness mentioned above
Clearly, modern aircraft navigation systems are being put at risk by the electronic devices that passengers carry on board, such as cassette players and laptop computers.............................conclusion of the argument

The two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first is a principle that the argument relies on and the second is a conclusion that can be drawn from the first.
The first is a principle that the argument relies on because if it is negated then conlusion cannot be drawn from the example.
and second is a conclusion but it cannot be drawn from the first.

(B) The first is a fact that argument relies on and the second is a conclusion that must be drawn from this argument.
The first is true as above.
second is a conclusion but it need not be must be drawn from this argument.

(C) The first acknowledges a consideration that supports that main position; the second is that conclusion.
The first does not acknowledge a consideration and neither it supports the main position. Second is not that conclusion.

(D) The first is an evidence that supports the conclusion, the second is that conclusion.
no true becase of same reasons as in C.

(E) The first is a principle that is necessary for this argument, the second is a conclusion that could be drawn from this argument.
The first is necessary as counter example and conclusion rely on it and second is a conclusion that can be drawn from the argument.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2015, 06:35
Can anybody what is the difference between "Consideration in Support of and " A Fact on which argument relies on ".
I would be glad if some one could explain this with examples.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
GPA: 3.47
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2016, 15:47
carcass

Could you please explain what is meant or what makes up "the main position" in answer (C)? How it is different from the conclusion in this question?

(C) The first acknowledges a consideration that supports that main position; the second is that conclusion.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 05:08
Hi,

Could you kindly provide your expert breakdown of this question and answer choices? Thank you.

Warm Regards,
G
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 08:26
Shouldn't the OA change to E based on the explanations on this thread? Else, can someone please explain how is 'C' correct? Thanks a lot!
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 00:44
souvik101990 wrote:
Modern navigation systems, which are found in most of today’s commercial aircraft, are made with low-power circuitry, which is more susceptible to interference than the vacuum-tube circuitry found in older planes. During landing, navigation systems receive radio signals from the airport to guide the plane to the runway. Recently, one plane with low-power circuitry veered off course during landing, its dials dimming, when a passenger turned on a laptop computer. Clearly, modern aircraft navigation systems are being put at risk by the electronic devices that passengers carry on board, such as cassette players and laptop computers.

(A) The first is a principle that the argument relies on and the second is a conclusion that can be drawn from the first.

(B) The first is a fact that argument relies on and the second is a conclusion that must be drawn from this argument.

(D) The first is an evidence that supports the conclusion, the second is that conclusion.

(E) The first is a principle that is necessary for this argument, the second is a conclusion that could be drawn from this argument.

Hi souvik101990,

Could you please confirm whether the OA marked is correct?

I think answer should be E, as well explained by Nevernevergiveup.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

How to use this forum in THE BEST way?

New --> How ApplicantLab made me reach my 10 years long MBA dream?

Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 07:00
My 2 cents:
I too think E should be the answer because of the 2nd part - The second bold statement is NOT a conclusion we can directly reach. There is a leap - NOT all cassette players and laptop computers interfere with the navigation system to the extent that it can impact low-powered circuitry. There may have been an electrical malfunction which caused the impact. So please check the answer.
Thanks
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GPA: 3.91
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 11:43
B,C, D, E all are lucrative.... Eliminated E because it is too strong (I don't know whether the principle is necessary)... Also eliminated D because the the 1st statement does not directly support the conclusion.... Now between B and C.... Can anyone please explain why C is better than B?
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 00:41
real GMAT will contain such question, i find it unusual and rare
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 21:54
Can an expert confirm why options B and E are wrong? Thank you!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 06:35
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Any expert explanations please ?
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 19:35
Hi souvik101990,

There is a lot of confusion over OA. B and E seems to be highly plausible, but alas, OA is none of the two. Please provide and explanation for the OA.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 23:40
Explanation for OA please, I chose E because that clearly looked the correct option
Retired Moderator
P
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 21:55
It seems the OA is debatable. Would you please explain why option E is incorrect?

Hasan Mahmud

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2017, 10:31
Modern navigation systems, which are found in most of today’s commercial aircraft, are made with low-power circuitry, which is more susceptible to interference than the vacuum-tube circuitry found in older planes. During landing, navigation systems receive radio signals from the airport to guide the plane to the runway. Recently, one plane with low-power circuitry veered off course during landing, its dials dimming, when a passenger turned on a laptop computer. Clearly, modern aircraft navigation systems are being put at risk by the electronic devices that passengers carry on board, such as cassette players and laptop computers.

I must acknowledge that I was tempted by option E, however, on further review, I see why option C is better. For BF1, it is not clear which argument is referred to in option E, therefore while it seems right as it connects well with BF2 (main conclusion), it is not.

Option C, on the other hand, is clear and concise in saying BF1 is a consideration (i.e reasoning/assumption) which supports the main argument (BF2).

I think the lesson learned in this BF CR, is to stop finding excuses to make an option correct. If it's is not clear and you have been diligent in deconstructing the prompt, then the option is simply wrong. Be confident in your judgment and eliminate, however tempting the muddled option is. Often the correct answers in BF CRs are concise, global and direct.

Best
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 510 Q46 V17
WE: Web Development (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 23:12
Experts! Please explain why C?

Posted from my mobile device

-Yuvaraj
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Stop searching someone to motivate you.

Re: Modern navigation systems, which are found in most of today   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2017, 23:12

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 36 posts ] 

Modern navigation systems, which are found in most of today

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap