It is currently 19 Jan 2018, 11:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 12

Re: More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2017, 23:06
GMATNinja mikemcgarry

Please help me eliminate B as i am not able to do so and further please let me know if i am headed in the right direction,

A - Hold
B - Could not eliminate
C - Multiple usage of it which causes redundancy
D - It has no antecedent
E - Incorrectly modifies Siberia Lake

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 12

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 3794 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2017, 05:42
siddyj94 wrote:
GMATNinja mikemcgarry

Please help me eliminate B as i am not able to do so and further please let me know if i am headed in the right direction,

A - Hold
B - Could not eliminate
D - It has no antecedent

The first "that": comma + "that" is incorrect - for essential modifier "that", comma is not to be used. Moroever use of essential modifier itself is wrong. Essential modifiers are used to define a noun (frequently to specify a subgroup). Here "Fresh water" is not defined by "more than all the North American Great Lakes combined."

The second "that": same reason as above - use of essential modifier is wrong. The rivers are not defined by the fact that they drain into the lake.

Kudos [?]: 3794 [0], given: 22

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 9283 [0], given: 117

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2017, 16:14
siddyj94 wrote:
GMATNinja mikemcgarry

A - Hold
B - Could not eliminate
D - It has no antecedent

Dear siddyj94,

I'm happy to respond. :-) I see that my brilliant colleague sayantanc2k answered your question, and I am going to add a little more.

Here's (B)
(B) With 20 percent of the world's fresh water, that is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers that drain into it.

Here's what I'll say. GMAT SC is NOT a test of grammar. On the GMAT SC, grammar and logic and rhetoric have to come together coherently to produce meaning. Many non-native speakers focus exclusively on grammar and so miss problems at other levels of analysis. The GMAT loves to construct wrong answers that are 100% grammatically correct but logically or rhetorically flaws, to trap the folks who pay attention to grammar only.

Arguably, (B) is grammatically correct, but it's a disaster in other ways.
1) The "that is" is a very weak, indirect, wordy way of presenting that information. We could eliminate those words entirely and get a better sentence:

(B2) With 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers that drain into it.

That's 100% grammatically correct and considerably better than (B)--it has an air of elegance, whereas the original version of (B) felt clunky and tentative.

2) The "with" construction is not ideal. This construction is colloquially acceptable, but it doesn't withstand logical scrutiny. It really doesn't make sense to say that Lake Baikal is "with" water. Instead, we would say, that Lake Baikal is "holds" or "contains" water. If we replace "with" with the participle form, we get:

(B3) Holding 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers that drain into it.

That's not bad at all. That could be a correct answer on the GMAT SC, but (A) is even better than this. Why?

Think about it. What's the main verb here? It's "has." The principle action is "has more than 300 rivers . . . "--not a riveting action. The slightly more active verb "hold" is in participle form, as a modifier, and the very active verb "drain" is hidden in a noun-modifying clause. A sentence feels most active when the most "active" action is also the main verb.

Now, think about the verbs in (A):
More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.

This is grammatically and logically correct. Furthermore, the main verb "drain" is the most "active" action. This version has a level of punch, of forcefulness, that even (B3) lacks. Even the dependent clause, with the main verb "hold," feels more active than the main clause of (B3)! Choice (A) is a very direct and powerful way to communicate this information: it's an extremely well-written sentence.

You see, if you look at only grammar, you are seeing less than half the story of GMAT SC. You have to look at all levels at once.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 9283 [0], given: 117

Re: More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which   [#permalink] 12 Dec 2017, 16:14

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 23 posts ] 

More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap