GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 05:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

     December 15, 2018

     December 15, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

     December 15, 2018

     December 15, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Get the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

More than ever, paper is expected to be recycled this year,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 10 Feb 2006
Posts: 632
More than ever, paper is expected to be recycled this year,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2007, 07:26
5
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

71% (00:51) correct 29% (01:03) wrong based on 204 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

12. More than ever, paper is expected to be recycled this year, due to new mandatory recycling laws in municipalities across the nation.
(A) More than ever, paper is expected to be recycled this year
(B) It is expected that more paper than ever will be recycled this year than previously and that is
(C) The paper expected to be recycled this year is more than ever
(D) The amount of paper that will be recycled this year is expected to be greater than ever
(E) A great increase in the amount of paper that will be recycled this year is
_________________

GMAT the final frontie!!!.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2004
Posts: 414
Location: united states
Re: SC - recycling paper  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2007, 09:28
alimad wrote:
12. More than ever, paper is expected to be recycled this year, due to new mandatory recycling laws in municipalities across the nation.
(A) More than ever, paper is expected to be recycled this year
(B) It is expected that more paper than ever will be recycled this year than previously and that is
(C) The paper expected to be recycled this year is more than ever
(D) The amount of paper that will be recycled this year is expected to be greater than ever
(E) A great increase in the amount of paper that will be recycled this year is


D in my opinion. The sentence is about the quantity of paper that would be recycled.
_________________

for every person who doesn't try because he is
afraid of loosing , there is another person who
keeps making mistakes and succeeds..

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 272
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2007, 19:27
D it is.
More than ever, is misleading as it incorrectly points out that it is time based and not quantity based.
Amount , clearly refers to the quantity of paper being recycled.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 1171
Location: Peru
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Re: SC - recycling paper  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2011, 20:27
+1 D

We are talking about "the amount of paper", not about the paper. D is more clear.
_________________

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 193
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Re: SC - recycling paper  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2011, 20:38
D! "Amount greater than" = best usage!
Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4561
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: SC - recycling paper  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2011, 04:55
2
For those who profess by D, I have a small question. The comparative term ‘greater’ is to be used strictly with numbers. Where is any number in the topic? The amount here refers to a volume, essentially a non- countable factor.

In addition why such a circuitous way of saying as paper that will be recycled this year is expected to be? Can’t we crisply say as paper expected to be recycled this year is?
_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1720
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC - recycling paper  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2014, 09:27
daagh wrote:
For those who profess by D, I have a small question. The comparative term ‘greater’ is to be used strictly with numbers. Where is any number in the topic? The amount here refers to a volume, essentially a non- countable factor.

In addition why such a circuitous way of saying as paper that will be recycled this year is expected to be? Can’t we crisply say as paper expected to be recycled this year is?


Agree with Daghah we need more for uncountable and greater for countable items/. How come the amount be greater, this doesn't make any sense. C it is in my opinion, although question may indeed by flawed.

Cheers
J
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 15 May 2013
Posts: 15
GPA: 3.3
WE: Other (Consulting)
Re: SC - recycling paper  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2014, 02:09
Well, Correct me if I'm wrong,

but Greater is used for non-countable noun as well as for numbers.. thus the usage here seems to be correct!!

-Piyush



jlgdr wrote:
daagh wrote:
For those who profess by D, I have a small question. The comparative term ‘greater’ is to be used strictly with numbers. Where is any number in the topic? The amount here refers to a volume, essentially a non- countable factor.

In addition why such a circuitous way of saying as paper that will be recycled this year is expected to be? Can’t we crisply say as paper expected to be recycled this year is?


Agree with Daghah we need more for uncountable and greater for countable items/. How come the amount be greater, this doesn't make any sense. C it is in my opinion, although question may indeed by flawed.

Cheers
J

_________________

GMAT - I'm gonna eat you whole ..!! ;)

Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 794
Re: SC - recycling paper  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2014, 10:54
1
pkhats wrote:
Well, Correct me if I'm wrong,

but Greater is used for non-countable noun as well as for numbers.. thus the usage here seems to be correct!!

-Piyush



jlgdr wrote:
daagh wrote:
For those who profess by D, I have a small question. The comparative term ‘greater’ is to be used strictly with numbers. Where is any number in the topic? The amount here refers to a volume, essentially a non- countable factor.

In addition why such a circuitous way of saying as paper that will be recycled this year is expected to be? Can’t we crisply say as paper expected to be recycled this year is?


Agree with Daghah we need more for uncountable and greater for countable items/. How come the amount be greater, this doesn't make any sense. C it is in my opinion, although question may indeed by flawed.

Cheers
J


Piyush is very close. Greater is used with numbers. When dealing with countable OR un-countable nouns we use "more".
"I have more blue hats than black hats." [hats are countable]
"I have more love for dogs than you do." [love is not countable]

When the noun is a number (amount, percentage, quantity, etc.), we use "greater".
"The amount of love I have for dogs is greater than your love for dogs."
"The percentage of blue hats is greater than the percentage of black hats."
"The amount of paper that will be recycled this year is expected to be greater than ever..."

KW
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Sep 2012
Posts: 132
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: More than ever, paper is expected to be recycled this year,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2014, 11:15
Question to experts

what does "due to ...", which can be interchanged with "caused by", modify here ?

"greater than ever" in D) cannot be modified by "due to..."
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 794
Re: More than ever, paper is expected to be recycled this year,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2014, 11:44
1
kinghyts wrote:
Question to experts

what does "due to ...", which can be interchanged with "caused by", modify here ?

"greater than ever" in D) cannot be modified by "due to..."


In this sentence, "due to..." is acting as an adverbial modifier and is modifying the entire preceding clause. The amount of recycling is increasing due to (or caused by or as a result of) the recycling laws.

KW
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Sep 2012
Posts: 132
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: More than ever, paper is expected to be recycled this year,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2014, 18:25
1
I believe "due to" should always modify nouns. And, essentially this is striking difference between the usage of "due to" and "because of", the latter of which always modifies clauses.

Let me know if my understanding is incorrect.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 794
Re: More than ever, paper is expected to be recycled this year,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2014, 07:43
1
kinghyts wrote:
I believe "due to" should always modify nouns. And, essentially this is striking difference between the usage of "due to" and "because of", the latter of which always modifies clauses.

Let me know if my understanding is incorrect.


You are absolutely correct. I should have pointed out in my previous post that "due to" is used as an adverbial modifier incorrectly - "because of" would be correct. Watch out when studying problems from non-GMAT sources because some elements will be used incorrectly.

KW
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Sep 2016
Posts: 62
Re: More than ever, paper is expected to be recycled this year,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2018, 09:42
so what is the OA here? any ideas?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: More than ever, paper is expected to be recycled this year, &nbs [#permalink] 24 Feb 2018, 09:42
Display posts from previous: Sort by

More than ever, paper is expected to be recycled this year,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.