It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 03:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

More than fifty years after the Second World War

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 884 [0], given: 322

Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member
Re: More than fifty years after the Second World War [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2014, 21:51
anujag24 wrote:
VerbalBot wrote:
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

I have read the above responses. I am still not convinced E is the answer. How "in long overdue" clears the meaning ?

American soldiers were awarded X .... in long overdue recognition of their outstanding bravery.

Can somebody please explain???

@egmat - can you please explain.

As explained above, the correct structure is

in recognition of....

Long-overdue just act as an adjective modifying 'recognition'. So,

in long-overdue recognition of .....

Rgds,
TGC!

e-GMAT Discount CodesMagoosh Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount Codes
Director
Director

Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2014, 21:52
anujag24 wrote:
VerbalBot wrote:
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

I have read the above responses. I am still not convinced E is the answer. How "in long overdue" clears the meaning ?

American soldiers were awarded X .... in long overdue recognition of their outstanding bravery.

Can somebody please explain???

@egmat - can you please explain.

As explained above, the correct structure is

in recognition of....

Long-overdue just act as an adjective modifying 'recognition'. So,

in long-overdue recognition of .....

Rgds,
TGC!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 74

GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V32
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2014, 23:40
It is a very good question. But please underline the part - really helps.
'In Recognition' - so within A,C,E. Both in A & C it is stated 'Congressional Medal of Honor, which was' - this past tense doesn't look correct. So by POE answer is E.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 74

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 101

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2014, 01:31
More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American soldiers were awarded―some of them posthumously―with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.

"Awarded with X" is not correct idiom "awarded X" is correct
"in recognition" is correct idiom, "for recognition" is wrong

A. with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in
-Wordiness:"Which was" is not wrong but it is unnecessary. "the nation's highest military award" is an appositive and does not require "which was".
-misplaced modifier: another problem in this sentence is "long-overdue". in this sentence we have: "the Congressional Medal of Honor was long overdue"
while "long-overdue" must modify recognition. the African American recognition was long overdue. so, we have misplaced modifier.
- unidiomatic usage: as mentioned above
B. with the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue

C. the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, long-overdue in
Sentence fragment

D. the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue

E. the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award, in long-overdue

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 101

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2015, 20:37
geturdream wrote:
sanoasis wrote:
More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American
soldiers were awarded―some of them posthumously―with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.

A. with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in
B. with the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue
C. the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military
award, long-overdue in
D. the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for longoverdue
E. the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award, in longoverdue

Congressional Medal of Honor is the nation's highest military award. So eliminate A,C for that.
the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue means the award is for long overdue recognition whi9ch is wrong. For these soldiers this award was long overdue.

So E is correct

seekmba and geturdream

Could you please help me understand what has been mentioned in the question on the basis of which we are saying that the medal still exist and we should not use "was" in A and C ? I may look quite novice but I am thinking what if the question is talking about something happened last year. I mean something as below -

More than fifty years after the Second World War, in 2014, a number of African American soldiers were awarded--some of them posthumously--the Congressional Medal of Honor, which until last year was the nation’s highest military award, long overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.

Please advise.

On the way ..
- Alok K G.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [1], given: 17

GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2015, 21:54
This post received
KUDOS
qwerty12321 wrote:
I am still not able to understand why (E) is correct. How is "in long-overdue" correct?

Please help.

Thanks.

Its not "in long-overdue" that we are looking at, it is "in..recognition", you award something in recognition of something not "for recognition'. Now you can say "for recognizing something" e.g.: A is useful for recognizing B. But when we speak of awards its in recognition of his long service etc.

alokkumargupta
The congressional medal of honor is still the highest military award. The sentence "which until last year was the nation’s highest military award" makes it look like , it was the highest award till last year, but no longer is.

Hope that helps.

Kudos [?]: 16 [1], given: 17

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 14

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2015, 15:18
jitendra31 - You're right. I don't think previous explanations are correct.

Bang on - Medal of honor was not long-overdue. It was the recognition that was overdue.

Kudos

jitendra31 wrote:
i don't think A and C are incorrect because of 'was'. GMAT does not expect participants to possess prior knowledge of anything asked in the exam.

I believe C is incorrect due to inaccurate usage of 'long overdue'. It incorrectly modifies the medal and that makes it usage illogical.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 14

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 5449 [3], given: 112

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 02:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
Hi chetan2u / Experts,

IMO-D, but the OA is E :(
one question to ask..

Why awarded in recognition is proffered over awarded for recognition.

Please assist.

Hi,
the Q is
Quote:
More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American soldiers were awarded―some of them posthumously―with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.

C. the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, long-overdue in

D. the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for longoverdue

E. the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award, in longoverdue

you have choosen D over E, but D is wrong for two reasons..

1) " in recognition of" is the correct idiom meaning " in acknowledgment of"..
2) Apart of this the glaring mistake in D, if its correctly reproduced here is..
the nation’s highest military award for longoverdue..
without the comma in between 'award' and 'for', it has changed the meaning, illogicaly meaning that the Congressional Medal of Honor is the nation’s highest military award for longoverdue recognitions

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5449 [3], given: 112

4 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 1085 [4], given: 325

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2016, 02:45
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

a number of African American soldiers were awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor....

Or

a number of African American soldiers were awarded with the Congressional Medal of Honor

Though awarded with is correct idiomatic usage it is wordy , so lets check if there are some less wordier options available conveying the intended meaning.

Changes the tense to past tense.

D. the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long overdue

Seems to convey the meaning that the award was for in recognition of long overdue.

E. the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award, in long overdue

Let's check the sentence -

a number of African American soldiers were awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor......... in long overdue recognition of their outstanding bravery.

Hence (E) is correct..

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1085 [4], given: 325

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 365 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2016, 22:53
smashingpumpkins wrote:

Most of the people who are picking up the wrong answer is not because they are basing their answer on "awarded" but because they are failing to see another subtle and important word in the sentence -"recognition" -because it falls outside the underlined part.
The correct usage is "IN RECOGNITION OF" (widely used and accepted)
The correct usage is "IN RECOGNITION FOR" (also used in many instances)
The incorrect usage is "FOR RECOGNISITION" (blatantly unidiomatic and a big grammatical blunder)

Also there is no difference in "awarded with" or "awarded". Both are correct. So one cannot eliminate an option because it has "awarded" instead of "awarded with. "
This makes honing into the right answer a matter of seconds.

OPTION B and D are outright incorrect. (Incorrect usage ;- for recognition)
OPTION A :- which was the nations highest military award is wrong. The award is still the highest award. Option A is also needlessly wordy
OPTION C:-which was the nations highest military award is wrong. The award is still the highest award.

OPTION E IS THE CORRECT ANSWER. "IN RECOGNITION OF" and "AWARDED" are used correctly. Useless words like "which was, which is" are removed and the sentence is crisp, clear and concise.

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Kudos [?]: 365 [0], given: 36

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 61

Schools: Erasmus '17

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2016, 12:24
Quote:

Original Error: Which doesnt refer correctly to awarded, it is referring to military award.
A. wrong because of above error.
B. military award for long overdue now modifies congressional medal of honor, hence changes meaning.
C. I though it to be right, but somehow i missed it :(.
Soilder were awarded long overdue in recognition or Soilders were awarded in long overdue recognition.
Hence C is wrong

In longoverdue forms proper sub ordinate clause .... Hence C is wrong...

Just trying to convince myself y c is wrong :(

D. same as B
E. Right ans.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 61

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2016, 01:37
Was/is is not a reliable issue. It requires outside knowledge that this award is still highest award. Maybe the award is not the highest now. Some other award might be highest now.

In this question 'is' is right as GMAT takes national awards, army very seriously and will never goof up tense when they are refererred.

Butin general...is/was both could be correct without outside information.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

CEO
CEO
G

Kudos [?]: 392 [0], given: 182

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 15:25
nelz007 wrote:
More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American soldiers were awarded--some of them posthumously--with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.

(A) with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in
(B) with the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue
(C) the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, long-overdue in
(D) the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue
(E) the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award, in long-overdue

Please explain the answer choices. OA later.

Medal of Honor is still nation's highest military award.
A/C out
award for long-overdue - changes the meaning
B/D out

E remains.

Kudos [?]: 392 [0], given: 182

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 876 [0], given: 53

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2016, 19:40
nelz007 wrote:
More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American soldiers were awarded--some of them posthumously--with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.

(A) with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in
(B) with the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue
(C) the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, long-overdue in
(D) the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue
(E) the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award, in long-overdue

Please explain the answer choices. OA later.

Correct idiom: award somebody something, so A&B out.

Correct idiom: in recognition of, so D out.

In (C), "long-overdue" is awkward, so (C) is out.

E is correct.

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Kudos [?]: 876 [0], given: 53

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 111

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2017, 18:48
E

Correct Idiom: Awarded X in recognition of Y

Note

- "...the nation’s highest military award.." is a modifier, hence sentence will stand even without it.
- "...in long overdue recognition...", here long overdue is an essential modifier modifying recognition

Side note
- in recognition for is also correct idiom
- Awarded with X is also correct, however Awarded X is preferred

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 111

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 48

GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 21:23
More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American soldiers were awardedsome of them posthumouslythe Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award, in long overdue recognition of their outstanding bravery.

E

Hit kudos if you like my post

Today's preparation determines tomorrow's achievement.

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 48

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 07:01

First round of elimination

B. with the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long overdue

C. the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, long overdue in

D. the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long overdue

E. the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award, in long overdue

If we remove the between fluff modifier " some of them posthumously " and join two clauses, awarded should modify the noun which should come right next to it. " The congressionl medal of honor"

Elimination round 2

B. with the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long overdue

D. the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue

E. the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award, in long-overdue

Again the modifier should come right next to it. The congressional medal of honor... (what is it ) highest military award. So cancel C

Elimination round 3

Comma - E has a comma . Remove the fluff modifier and join it, you will get a whole sentence.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 22

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 18

Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2017, 11:30
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American
soldiers were awarded―some of them posthumously―with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.

In this i would prefer to remove "which was the highest military award" as the award could still be the highest.
as for "awarded with" & only "awarded" I think both are idiomatically correct. So to eliminate an answer choice because of that would be wrong. If it had been "rewarded" then "rewarded with would only have been correct"

here for long overdue changes the meaning and "for recognition of" is idiomatically incorrect

C. the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military
award, long-overdue in
again the same error as in option A

same as option B

corrects all the errors and introduces none

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 18

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 24

GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2017, 02:56
I used following to solve

which may point to medal or honor
They were not awarded because recognition was long overdue
C. the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, long overdue in
which may point to medal or honor
They were not awarded because recognition was long overdue
Correct

Am I correct in eliminating A and C for incorrect use of "which"?

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 24

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 647

GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2017, 09:50
the simple sentence is -
they were awarded medal in recognition of ......

in recognition is the correct use rather than for recognition use

awarded X in recognition of better than

awarded with X for recognition of.....

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 647

Re: More than fifty years after the Second World War   [#permalink] 25 May 2017, 09:50

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 49 posts ] 

More than fifty years after the Second World War

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap