It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 19:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

More than fifty years after the Second World War

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: More than fifty years after the Second World War [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 02:09
More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American soldiers were awarded, some of them posthumously, with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.

(A) with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in
(B) with the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue
(C) the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, long-overdue in
(D) the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue
(E) the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award, in long-overdue

I hate long and complicated explanations!

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 14

CAT Tests
More than fifty years after the Second World War [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 09:14
I think this is a very poor question because you can eliminate A and C based on outside knowledge (some of us had no idea that the medal of honor was still the US' highest military award)

Last edited by CristianJuarez on 29 Oct 2017, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 14

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 18

Concentration: Other, Entrepreneurship
More than fifty years after the Second World War [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2017, 06:52
Hi,

Here is my analysis of the sentence.

awarded with is incorrect usage.

Consider the following examples

The winner of the race will be rewarded with an amount Rupees Ten thousand.

The winner of the race will be awarded a gold medal.

Choice D is incorrect for the obvious reasons.

The second interesting split is between choice C and choice E.

{which was the nation's highest military award vs the nation's highest military} - this should not be considered as a split - as we don't know whether it is currently considered as the highest award or not

Option choice C ( Simplified version ) - Soldiers were awarded Medal long overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.

Option choice E (Simplified version ) - Soldiers were awarded Medal in long overdue recognition of their outstanding bravery.

Meaning - Option choice C - medal was long overdue

Meaning - Option choice E - recognition was long overdue

Option A states that medal was long overdue.

Is it better to say that

Recognition was long overdue

than

medal was long overdue.

Experts may please comment.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 18

BSchool Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 7

GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 05:59
GMATPill wrote:
hi nusmavrik,

try to think in terms of what is preferred on the GMAT exam, rather than what is technically right or wrong.

On the GMAT, "awarded X" is preferred over "awarded with X"--if you can express one idea well with fewer words, why do it with more?

Having said that, I see "awarded with" in so many publications that it's hard to label them all as "grammatically incorrect."

Don't bother getting yourself into intellectual discussions about the technicalities. Just know that for the GMAT, "awarded X" is preferred. When in doubt, simple is better.

Hope that helps.

Is it correct to use "preferred over"?

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 7

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 138

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 10:31
More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American soldiers were awarded, some of them posthumously, with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.

(A) with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in -"with" is wrongly used. Also, Medal of Honor is nation's highest military award --> This is fact so we need simple present tense. --> "was" is wrongly used.
(B) with the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue -"with" is wrongly used. "for" recognition is wrong.
(C) the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, long-overdue in - Medal of Honor is nation's highest military award --> This is fact so we need simple present tense. --> "was" is wrongly used.
(D) the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue -"for" recognition is wrongly used
(E) the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award, in long-overdue -Correct

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
2. LSAT RC compilation
3. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
4. QOTD RC (Carcass)
5. Challange OG RC

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 138

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 89

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2017, 04:11
I have come across this question 2-3 times and everytime i go through the same argument whcih gave and get confused why C is wrong, In fact i do the exact opposite argument saying when the question itself says the medal WAS the highest award, how can we assume that it IS now.

Can you comment?

mikemcgarry wrote:
vabhs192003 wrote:
More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American soldiers were awarded―some of them posthumously―with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.

A. with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in
B. with the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue
C. the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, long-overdue in
D. the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long overdue
E. the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award, in long overdue

Dear vabhs192003,
This is a great question. I'm happy to help. :-)

Split #1: "awarded" vs. "awarded with". The construction "awarded with" is idiomatically incorrect. We would just say Q was awarded the XYZ medal. (A) & (B) make this mistake and cannot be correct.

Split #2: idiom for recognition. The correct idiom here is "in recognition", not "for recognition". (B) & (D) make this mistake and cannot be correct.

That gets us down to (C) vs. (E), which is the hard part of this question. First, look at the way they both modify the name of the medal:
(C) the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, ...
(E) the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award, ...
Choice (E) uses an appositive phrase. For more on this, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... e-phrases/
This structure is very elegant and concise. By contrast, the "which" clause in (C) is a little longer. There's also a problem with verb tense. I realize the tense is the same as in the prompt, but the past tense makes it sound as if that medal WAS the nation's highest military award, but isn't anymore. Is this true? Was a new highest honor recently introduced to supersede this medal? Hmmm, this calls for outside knowledge, but it just seems unlikely that whatever the highest military honor was recently (in the 1990s) would be swapped out for something else. Not only is (C) longer and clunkier, but it also raises awkward questions about verb tense & implication that (E) sleekly avoids.
Both endings are acceptable ("long-overdue in recognition" vs. "in long-overdue recognition"), because we could reasonably say that either the medal or the recognition was overdue. The above discussion indicates why (E) is a superior answer, and the best answer here.

BTW: outside knowledge: the Congressional Medal of Honor is still the nation's highest military honor.

Does all this make sense?

Mike :-)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 89

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9453 [0], given: 348

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2017, 06:49
narendra111988 wrote:
I have come across this question 2-3 times and everytime i go through the same argument whcih gave and get confused why C is wrong, In fact i do the exact opposite argument saying when the question itself says the medal WAS the highest award, how can we assume that it IS now.

Can you comment?

Hello narendra111988,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

Let's take a look at the sentence with choice C:

More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American soldiers were awarded―some of them posthumously―the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, long-overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.

This choice has two errors.

1. Use of simple past tense verb was is incorrect as the choice suggests that the said award is no longer the nation's highest military award.

It is not difficult to understand that usage of simple past tense is incorrect because a nation's highest civilian o/and military awards do not change very frequently. Such honors are pretty constant.

2. The placement of long-overdue is such that it suggests that the award was long-overdue, not the recognition.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2017, 06:56
sahilmalhotra01 wrote:
Hi,

Here is my analysis of the sentence.

awarded with is incorrect usage.

Consider the following examples

The winner of the race will be rewarded with an amount Rupees Ten thousand.

The winner of the race will be awarded a gold medal.

Choice D is incorrect for the obvious reasons.

The second interesting split is between choice C and choice E.

{which was the nation's highest military award vs the nation's highest military} - this should not be considered as a split - as we don't know whether it is currently considered as the highest award or not

Option choice C ( Simplified version ) - Soldiers were awarded Medal long overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.

Option choice E (Simplified version ) - Soldiers were awarded Medal in long overdue recognition of their outstanding bravery.

Meaning - Option choice C - medal was long overdue

Meaning - Option choice E - recognition was long overdue

Option A states that medal was long overdue.

Is it better to say that

Recognition was long overdue

than

medal was long overdue.

Experts may please comment.

Hello sahilmalhotra01,

I must say you have presented a very good analysis here. Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

Per the context of the sentence, I would say that the recognition was long overdue, and that is why the award was presented more than 50 years after the World War II.

If the service of these soldiers would have been recognized earlier, the award would have come earlier.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 166

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2017, 14:27
Caas wrote:

(A) with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in too verbose
(B) with the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue the award itself is not given for long over due service
(C) the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, long-overdue in the usage of which is not necessary
(D) the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue this implies that the award is given for service that is long overdue
(E) the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award, in long-overdue
concisely expresses the idea AND is grammatically correct

E

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 166

Re: More than fifty years after the Second World War   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2017, 14:27

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 49 posts ] 

More than fifty years after the Second World War

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap