Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 760 [71]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [21]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [7]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 509 [2]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Re: More than have any of its competitors, Dynacorp, which will release it [#permalink]
Bookmarks
manu974100 wrote:
More than have any of its competitors, Dynacorp, which will release its annual earnings report on Friday, is staking its future on the business of bringing shale gas from formerly inaccessible locations like the Arctic and energy-hungry nations like India and China.

a)More than have any of its competitors, Dynacorp, which will release its annual earnings report on Friday, is staking its future on the business of bringing shale gas from formerly inaccessible locations like the Arctic and energy-hungry nations like India and China.
b)More than has any of its competitors, Dynacorp, which will release its annual earnings report on Friday, has staked its future on the business of bringing shale gas from formerly inaccessible locations like the Arctic to energy-hungry nations like India and China.
c)More so than any of its competitors, Dynacorp, which will release its annual earnings report on Friday, is staking its future on the business of bringing shale gas from formerly inaccessible locations like the Arctic and energy-hungry nations such as India and China.
d)More than any of its competitors have, Dynacorp, which will release its annual earnings report on Friday, staked its future on the business of bringing shale gas from formerly inaccessible locations like the Arctic and energy-hungry nations such as India and China.
e)More than any of its competitors, Dynacorp, which will release its annual earnings report on Friday, is staking its future on the business of bringing shale gas from formerly inaccessible locations like the Arctic to energy-hungry nations like India and China.

No matter whether by have or has, introducing perfect tense is wrong because Dynacorp "is staking sh".
Thus we are down to C and E. In C the "More so than" is incorrect. In E everything is right: more than, which + preceding noun, have + is staking.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: University of Florida
Own Kudos [?]: 2976 [4]
Given Kudos: 630
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q44 V30
GMAT 3: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 4: 590 Q35 V35
GPA: 3.45
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: More than have any of its competitors, Dynacorp, which will release it [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Here is the official explanation from Veritas.

Answer E - The dominant decision point in this question is "and" vs. "to" in the back half of the sentence. Because of construction "bringing X from...", "to" is required to create a logical meaning, so the "and" choices (A, C, and D) are incorrect. Furthermore, the choices that include a verb ("has" or "have") in the beginning of the sentence in the modifier do not offer a direct verb for "has done what?", and so they are also incorrect.

Choice E uses a proper modifier and the correct "to" connection, so it is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [1]
Given Kudos: 401
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Kudos
For this question there are only two steps:

1) First the idiom: "from...to" you narrow down to B and E
2) Second,look at B first, see that it is not parallel "More than has X, Y has blablabla..."

Answer E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GPA: 3.97
Send PM
Paris75 wrote:

2) Second,look at B first, see that it is not parallel "More than has X, Y has blablabla..."

Answer E

Can you please explain the point number 2 in detail, I did not understand which ||sm went wrong here ? Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Given Kudos: 401
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
dheeraj787 wrote:
Paris75 wrote:

Answer E

Can you please explain the point number 2 in detail, I did not understand which ||sm went wrong here ? Thanks

Sorry, should have been more precise.

Look at B:

b)More than has any of its competitors, Dynacorp, which will release its annual earnings report on Friday, has staked its future on the business of bringing shale gas from formerly inaccessible locations like the Arctic to energy-hungry nations like India and China.

Here it is like this: "More than has X, Y, which Z, has staked..." And it is not correct. It should have been, "More than has any of its competitors, Y staked..."

You need to have a logical construction here, otherwise it does not make any sense. The parrallel structure is also necessary when you use like (or such as) at the end of the sentence.

e)More than any of its competitors, Dynacorp, which will release its annual earnings report on Friday, is staking its future on the business of bringing shale gas from formerly inaccessible locations like the Arctic to energy-hungry nations like India and China.

Here, the structure is correct "More than any of X, Y is staking..."

Hope its clear
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
mikemcgarry - Hello Mike, can you please help me to figure out the correct answer between Option E and B. I was able to figure out the rest of the choices by the identifying the idiom tested(from..to), But really can't chose between B and E. Also, is the usage of present continuous tense correct in option E? Thanks:)
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
harshdeep12 wrote:
mikemcgarry - Hello Mike, can you please help me to figure out the correct answer between Option E and B. I was able to figure out the rest of the choices by the identifying the idiom tested(from..to), But really can't chose between B and E. Also, is the usage of present continuous tense correct in option E? Thanks:)

Dear harshdeep12,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, many Veritas questions are wonderful. I think this one is atrocious. It's tagged as Veritas: I don't know whether that is true.

One screaming issue that is not addressed is the "like" vs. "such as" split for listing examples. All five answer choices have "formerly inaccessible locations like the Arctic"--embarrassing! A few answer choices have "energy-hungry nations such as India and China," but the OA has "energy-hungry nations like India and China"--not GMAT-like at all!

It's bizarre that the whole sentence is underlined, even though a few words at the beginning and end are the same in all five answer choices. That's also not GMAT-like.

Choice (B) has the unnecessary "has" in the first clause--"More than has any of its competitors." It appears the source believes this is reason to prefer (B) to (E). It's true that the word "has" is not necessary and it's a little awkward to include it, but it's odd that the choice between these two choices rests only on this one detail, especially since other details are incorrect. For such a long prompt, only niggling little details are changed among the five answer choices: there aren't large scale structure changes, as there typically would be on the GMAT if the whole sentence were underlined. There are a variety of ways in which this question falls short of the ideal established by the GMAT.

This is a very poor question. As a general rule, I don't think it helps to dive into the logic of poorly designed questions.

Here's a high quality SC practice question:
Becquerel's discovery of radioactivity

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Dear harshdeep12,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, many Veritas questions are wonderful. I think this one is atrocious. It's tagged as Veritas: I don't know whether that is true.

One screaming issue that is not addressed is the "like" vs. "such as" split for listing examples. All five answer choices have "formerly inaccessible locations like the Arctic"--embarrassing! A few answer choices have "energy-hungry nations such as India and China," but the OA has "energy-hungry nations like India and China"--not GMAT-like at all!

It's bizarre that the whole sentence is underlined, even though a few words at the beginning and end are the same in all five answer choices. That's also not GMAT-like.

Choice (B) has the unnecessary "has" in the first clause--"More than has any of its competitors." It appears the source believes this is reason to prefer (B) to (E). It's true that the word "has" is not necessary and it's a little awkward to include it, but it's odd that the choice between these two choices rests only on this one detail, especially since other details are incorrect. For such a long prompt, only niggling little details are changed among the five answer choices: there aren't large scale structure changes, as there typically would be on the GMAT if the whole sentence were underlined. There are a variety of ways in which this question falls short of the ideal established by the GMAT.

This is a very poor question. As a general rule, I don't think it helps to dive into the logic of poorly designed questions.

Here's a high quality SC practice question:
Becquerel's discovery of radioactivity

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Dear mikemcgarry,

I hope you are well :)

I seek your help in understanding many issues in the above sentence. It is really a Veritas question. In the previous, someone posted the official answer. Here it:

"Here is the official explanation from Veritas.

Answer E - The dominant decision point in this question is "and" vs. "to" in the back half of the sentence. Because of construction "bringing X from...", "to" is required to create a logical meaning, so the "and" choices (A, C, and D) are incorrect. Furthermore, the choices that include a verb ("has" or "have") in the beginning of the sentence in the modifier do not offer a direct verb for "has done what?", and so they are also incorrect. Choice E uses a proper modifier and the correct "to" connection, so it is correct."

According to the explanation above by Veritas, B is eliminated because choice include verb 'has' or have without any any direct object. I think, there is ellipses which meaning is implied. So it is wrong from grammar point of view but it is unnecessary as you pointed out. Is it true or wrong?

I have other concern the puzzled me in English. An instructor eliminated choice B on the ground that it should be plural and hence must be have.

As far as I know in English. 'Any' must take singular verb. Am I right or wrong??

Thanks in advance
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Given Kudos: 130