It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 04:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Most antidepressant drugs cause weight gain

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 482 [2], given: 200

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.88
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Most antidepressant drugs cause weight gain [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2015, 08:00
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (00:57) correct 20% (01:19) wrong based on 281 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Most antidepressant drugs cause weight gain. While dieting can help reduce the amount of weight gained while taking such antidepressants, some weight gain is unlikely to be preventable.

The information above most strongly supports which one of the following?

A. A physician should not prescribe any antidepressant drug for a patient if that patient is overweight.
B. People who are trying to lose weight should not ask their doctors for an antidepressant drug.
C. At least some patients taking antidepressant drugs gain weight as a result of taking them.
D. The weight gain experienced by patients taking antidepressant drugs should be attributed to lack of dieting.
E. All patients taking antidepressant drugs should diet to maintain their weight.

Question Source: PowerScore CR Bible

Did you like the question ? Please don't forget - Kudo's are the best way to thank !
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

When you’re up, your friends know who you are. When you’re down, you know who your friends are.

Share some Kudos, if my posts help you. Thank you !

800Score ONLY QUANT CAT1 51, CAT2 50, CAT3 50
GMAT PREP 670
MGMAT CAT 630
KAPLAN CAT 660

Last edited by BrainLab on 08 Feb 2015, 11:49, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 482 [2], given: 200

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 41

Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: Haas
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Most antidepressant drugs cause weight gain [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2015, 00:33
A. A physician should not prescribe any antidepressant drug for a patient if that patient is overweight. Stem says most antidepressants cause weight gain not all .

B. People who are trying to lose weight should not ask their doctors for an antidepressant drug. Stem says most antidepressants cause weight gain not all .

C. At least some patients taking antidepressant drugs gain weight as a result of taking them. Best answer considering the fact that most anti depressants cause weight gain , dieting helps them loose it but some weight gain is inevitable would mean at least some patients gain weight .

D. The weight gain experienced by patients taking antidepressant drugs should be attributed to lack of dieting. Stem says even if they diet they will gain some weight .. so irrelevant

E. All patients taking antidepressant drugs should diet to maintain their weight. Irrelevant since most antidepressant cause weight gain not all .

Hence answer is C

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 41

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 17717 [1], given: 1986

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2015, 19:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Here's my qualm for C: it's not definitively proven. Here's how:

The passage says that "Most" antidepressant drugs cause weight gains. One only gains weight if one takes "such" drugs. So what if everybody is taking the rest of the antidepressant drugs that do not necessarily cause weight gain? In that case we'd have nobody who gains weight.

And that would be something to consider on a must be true question stem. This is a most strongly supported question stem, so we can have leeway.

The stimulus is not one of tying together conditionals or quantifiers, so this one will be won in the answer choices:

We want to pick the most supported answer choice:

A) Physicians should not prescribe antidepressant if patient is overweight. We do not have a lot of support in the way of what physicians should do. I mean we can have a situation of these antidepressants be in the interest of taking rather than not. And in any case, we could prescribe others that may not cause weight gain. We don't know for sure they exist, but we also don't know that they are precluded either.

B) I have to agree with the above posters. I think this question came down to B and C for a majority of people. This has such strong language, even with the qualification of these people wanting to lose weight. Should not ask their doctor for an antidepressant drug? I could see this having more support if we knew all antidepressant drugs caused weight gain. But we only know that most cause. We have not ruled out the idea that there isn't one.

C) Is the weakest of all answer choices. Just 1 person gain weight from taking an antidepressant drug. I know that most AD cause weight gain. I know that even some prevention I can do while taking these drugs, like diet, I am still likely to gain weight. This answer choice of just 1 person having weight gain caused by an antidepressant is very weak.

D) We are given some evidence that weight gain can be caused by antidepressants themselves. This would not give us support for drawing such a claim.

E) All is a strong claim. All patients taking AD should diet to maintain weight. What if people actually wanted to gain weight?

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17717 [1], given: 1986

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 466

GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Most antidepressant drugs cause weight gain [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2016, 04:21
souvik101990
You spoke my mind. That's exactly what was bothering me. Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 466

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 233 [0], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2017, 08:03
The causal relationship in this problem appears in the premise, and the argument is structured as follows:
Premise: Most antidepressant drugs cause weight gain.
Premise: Dieting can help reduce the amount of weight gained while taking such antidepressants.
Conclusion: Some weight gain is unlikely to be preventable.
Note that the causal premise specifically states that “most” antidepressants cause weight gain, not necessarily all antidepressants. Also, the second premise specifically refers to antidepressants causing weight gain (the use of “such” indicates this). The second premise also indicates that the amount gained can be reduced, not that dieting can stop weight gain. Perhaps the antidepressants cause a twenty pound weight gain, but dieting can reduce that to a ten pound total gain. The question stem is a Must Be True, and thus you must accept the stimulus information and find an answer that is proven by that information.
Answer choice (A): This is an Exaggerated answer. The stimulus indicates that most antidepressants cause weight gain, leaving open the possibility that some do not. This answer choice references any antidepressant drug. Further, the stimulus does not address the role of a physician or the advisability of prescribing certain drugs under certain conditions. The benefits of prescribing an antidepressant that causes weight gain to an overweight patient may well outweigh the negatives (pun intended).
Answer choice (B): This is also an exaggerated answer. The stimulus allows for antidepressants that do not cause weight gain.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer. Some individuals taking antidepressants that cause weight gain will gain weight even though dieting can reduce the amount of the gain. Answer choice (D): This is an Opposite answer. The stimulus and correct answer both indicate that people taking the weight gain-causing antidepressants will gain weight regardless of whether
they diet. Thus, the weight gain cannot be attributed to a lack of dieting.
Answer choice (E): This answer is too strong. Not all patients necessarily take antidepressants that cause weight gain, so those that do not might not need to diet to maintain their weight.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 233 [0], given: 855

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1118

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 12:40
choice C is clear and precise. Hope it helps

VP
VP
S

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 00:32
there is a similar question with the same pattern.
Nevertheless, two questions have different patterns in option choices. This question seems a little bit harder than the other question.
A and B are some kind of extreme -> out

Re: Most antidepressant drugs cause weight gain   [#permalink] 09 Nov 2017, 00:32

Most antidepressant drugs cause weight gain

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap