GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2019, 00:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Most nations regard their airspace as extending upward as

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Most nations regard their airspace as extending upward as  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2018, 13:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

32% (00:58) correct 68% (01:06) wrong based on 614 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project SC Butler: Day 38: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Most nations regard their airspace as extending upward as high as an aircraft can fly; no specific altitude, however, has been officially recognized as a boundary.

(A) as extending

(B) as the extent

(C) to be an extent

(D) to be an extension

(E) to extend

The best/excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.
There may be no best/excellent answers, or a there may be a few excellent answers!

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2018, 14:28
Skywalker18 wrote:
aragonn wrote:
aragonn wrote:

Most nations regard their airspace as extending upward as high as an aircraft can fly; no specific altitude, however, has been officially recognized as a boundary.

(A) as extending

(B) as the extent

(C) to be an extent

(D) to be an extension

(E) to extend

The best/excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.
There may be no best/excellent answers, or a there may be a few excellent answers!

Official Explanation:

Choice A is best because it is idiomatically correct; regard, when its meaning indicates seeing, looking at, or conceiving of something in a particular way, is paired with as in the idiomatic construction regard X as y, Choices C, D, and E violate the regard, , , as construction, In choices B, C, and D, the nouns extent and extension cannot be modified by the adverbial phrase that follows: a verb form such as extending is needed,

In choices B, C, and D, the nouns extent and extension cannot be modified by the adverbial phrase that follows: a verb form such as extending is needed -- Can someone explain this part of the OE?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyMurray , daagh , generis , others - please enlighten

Skywalker18 , the OE writer is not very clear about the issue you caught (and as usual, it's a good catch).

Quote:
In choices B, C, and D, the nouns extent and extension cannot be modified by the adverbial phrase that follows: a verb form such as extending is needed -- Can someone explain this part of the OE?

Adverbs can modify verb-ING (verb forms). Adverbs cannot modify nouns.

The OE writer means to say that in their use of the idiom Regard X as Y, B, C, and D are improperly modified
because all three list "Y" as a noun, which cannot be followed by an adverbial phrase.

In the sentence, Y is modified by the adverb phrase upward as high as an aircraft can fly

A noun cannot be modified by an adverb.

The OE states that "a verb form such as extending" is needed.
In other words, option A has that "verb form": extending.
A participle, a verbING, CAN be modified by an adverb.

• The idiom is Regard X as Y

The idiom has this construction:

regard + object + AS + noun/noun phrase OR adjective/adjective phrase OR gerund/participle

• Errors in B, C, and D

B, C, and D list Y as a noun
-- An adverb/adverbial phrase cannot modify a noun.
-- An adverb can modify an adjective.
-- An adverb can modify a gerund/participle (because a gerund/participle, a verbING, retains verb qualities)

(An adverb can modify many more parts of speech; the three listed are the three that Y can be in Regard X as Y)

Correct answer A) Most nations regard their airspace as extending (verbING) upward as high as an aircraft can fly (adverbial phrase) . . .

So, on one hand, (B) correctly follows Regard X as Y. (B uses "as.")
On the other hand, (B) fails because Y= the noun extent, and extent cannot be modified by an adverbial phrase

(C) and (D) violate Regard X as Y.
In addition to that error, (C) and (D) contain the same error as that in B.

In (C) and (D) the Y part of the idiom is extent and extension, respectively, both of which are nouns.

The rule that adverbs cannot modify nouns is needed to eliminate B.
We don't need the rule for C and D.
The author included C and D in that part of the OE because they contain the same error that B does.

Hope that helps.

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -- Mary Oliver
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Most nations regard their airspace as extending upward as  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2018, 22:29
Correct idiom is Regard as , so C D E are out .
Out of A and B , B is the correct answer

Thanks,
Mofe Bhatia
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.34

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2018, 22:39

(A) as extending

(B) as the extent

(C) to be an extent

(D) to be an extension

(E) to extend

This is pretty tough because it basically tests idioms.
I like to say "X regard Y as something
So, I am going to eliminate (C), (D) and (E)

That something should be a noun.
I pick (B)

Ans: (B)
SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2018, 07:37
aragonn wrote:

(A) as extending

(B) as the extent

(C) to be an extent

(D) to be an extension

(E) to extend

Official Explanation:

Choice A is best because it is idiomatically correct; regard, when its meaning indicates seeing, looking at, or conceiving of something in a particular way, is paired with as in the idiomatic construction regard X as y, Choices C, D, and E violate the regard, , , as construction, In choices B, C, and D, the nouns extent and extension cannot be modified by the adverbial phrase that follows: a verb form such as extending is needed,

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2018, 11:03
aragonn wrote:
aragonn wrote:

(A) as extending

(B) as the extent

(C) to be an extent

(D) to be an extension

(E) to extend

Official Explanation:

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyMurray , daagh , generis , others - please enlighten
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2018, 09:32
GMATNinja

Please can you help out in this

I was sure about "Regard as" to be the right usage and got stuck b/w A & B

According to me, I thought "airspace" should be followed with a noun form such as "as an extension " or similar phrase

Thanks
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 14:48
kaustavkarmakar wrote:
GMATNinja

According to me, I thought "airspace" should be followed with a noun form such as "as an extension " or similar phrase

Thanks

"To regard" just means "to consider" or "to appraise", so it's perfectly reasonable to follow this construction with either a noun or an adjective. For example, I can write "I regard my daughter's tendency to eat egg shells out of the garbage as problematic." Here, I'm regarding a tendency as "problematic," which is an adjective. That's fine.

Or I could write, "I regard my daughter's tendency to eat egg shells out of the garbage as a problem." Now I'm regarding the tendency as a "problem," which is a noun. That's okay too. So we're not basing our decision on whether whether we need an adjective or a noun. We're basing it on what makes more sense in this context.

In (B) we have "Most nations regard their airspace as the extent upward as high as an aircraft can fly." Nations see their airspace as an "extent upward?" The "extent" is as high as the aircraft can fly? This is illogical. It makes far more sense to write that the airspace is extending upward as high as the aircraft fly.

I hope that helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 15:04
If we change the sentence to use 'to the extent', how should we modify the sentence so that its grammatically/logically correct?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2019, 00:25
A is the correct choice. This question is a test on idioms and A is the only one that follows the proper idiomatic structure. When the meaning of the sentence indicates that understanding something through one’s senses or conceiving of it in a specific way, the correct idiom structure is “regard x as y”. C D and E fail to utilize this structure. Now, option B is wrong because “extent” ( a noun ) can’t be modified by an adverb (upward as).

Thus, the right answer is A.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2019, 22:45
GMATNinja wrote:
kaustavkarmakar wrote:
GMATNinja

Thanks

"To regard" just means "to consider" or "to appraise", so it's perfectly reasonable to follow this construction with either a noun or an adjective. For example, I can write "I regard my daughter's tendency to eat egg shells out of the garbage as problematic." Here, I'm regarding a tendency as "problematic," which is an adjective. That's fine.

Or I could write, "I regard my daughter's tendency to eat egg shells out of the garbage as a problem." Now I'm regarding the tendency as a "problem," which is a noun. That's okay too. So we're not basing our decision on whether whether we need an adjective or a noun. We're basing it on what makes more sense in this context.

In (B) we have "Most nations regard their airspace as the extent upward as high as an aircraft can fly." Nations see their airspace as an "extent upward?" The "extent" is as high as the aircraft can fly? This is illogical. It makes far more sense to write that the airspace is extending upward as high as the aircraft fly.

I hope that helps!

Hi GMATNinja
Are you saying that "extending" is adjective in this OA? It seems more like a verb.
Can you elaborate?
Tks
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2019, 01:51
extend and fly are special verbs, which can go with adjective. inhere, "as high as" is adjective, not adverb. not all verb can go with adjective this way.

extending is a kind of doing which have some, but not all, characteristics of a verb, so, it can go with adjective
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Most nations regard their airspace as extending upward as   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2019, 01:51

Most nations regard their airspace as extending upward as

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics