Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Most of Portugal's 250,000 university students boycotted classes in a [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
tinbq wrote:
Would you please help to explain why B is incorrect? I have read some comments claiming that WHO paid the $7 is missing. Is that information necessary?

Oh yes @tinbq; GMAT takes this who issue very seriously :) .

Basically B is (what's called) passive voice: it's essentially saying:

$7 was previously paid for higher education.

As happens very frequently with passive voice constructs, the above construct is not depicting who previously paid $7 for higher education.

The intent of the original sentence is to depict that students previously paid $7 for higher education.

A better construct (though not perfect) for option B would be:

B1. year toward the cost of higher education, for which they previously paid $7 per year

Notice that B1 now clearly mentions that they (students) previously paid $7 for higher education.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Most of Portugal's 250,000 university students boycotted classes in a [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
rachelphwu wrote:
tylerk1986 wrote:
I believe the answer is D.

Reasoning:
There are no grammatical flaws in sentences D or E that I notice. I even believe that sentence E sounds better because it goes along with the sentence. Students boycotting, leads you to believe that the new amount of money that students are forced to pay opposes the old amount.

However, putting "as opposed to" into the sentence changes the meaning of the original. The original only indicates that there are new amounts to be paid. It doesn't offer that the amounts are "opposing" each other

Hi everyone, I have a question.
When dealing with SC questions, should we consider the meaning of the original sentence? Is it alright to choose an option with a different meaning from the original one?
Thank you! :)

Hello rachelphwu,

We hope this finds you well.

Our advice would be to take the meaning of Option A as a baseline unless this meaning is completely illogical or incoherent.

Further, if Option A and all answer choices that preserve its meaning are grammatically incorrect, then pick whichever answer choice is grammatically correct, even if its meaning does not line up with Option A's.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Most of Portugal's 250,000 university students boycotted classes in a [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Krishna7568 wrote:
Just a small doubt. Doesn't we use "noun" after 'instead of' not a phrase, verb, adverb or prepositional phrases. Using "instead of" isn't it incorrect here? If it was rather than then would have picked D. Am I getting rule wrong?

'instead of' is a preposition and needs a noun/noun phrase after it. In option (D), it is followed by a noun phrase 'the $7 per year.'
(A noun phrase is a noun + articles/modifiers)
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Most of Portugal's 250,000 university students boycotted classes in a [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
bhayanakmaut wrote:
Hello AndrewN MartyTargetTestPrep

I am unable to understand why option A is wrong. If "paying" refers back to "Most of Portugal's 250,000 university students boycotted ...." or "them to contribute ..", is the meaning nonsensical? Can you elaborate on that?

Yes, the meaning conveyed by the (A) version is nonsensical.

Here's the end of that version:

requires them to contribute $330 a year toward the cost of higher education, previously paying $7 per year.

It suggests that, in the process of contributing $330, they are "previously paying $7." Since they would not be paying $7 in contributing $330, that meaning is illogical.

Just to confirm that there is no way for the sentence to work, let's see whether "previously paying $7 per year" could instead modify the main clause of the sentence.

Most of Portugal's 250,000 university students boycotted classes ..., previously paying $7 per year.

Now the sentence conveys that, in the process of boycotting classes, the students were somehow "previously paying $7 per year," as if, by boycotting classes, they paid $7 previously. How would they do something previously by boycotting classes in the present? Do they have a time machine? Also, they would not pay $7 by boycotting.

The (A) version of the sentence is nonsensical no matter how we read it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
raghavs wrote:
Most of Portugal’s 250,000 university students boycotted classes in a one-day strike to
protest a law that requires them to contribute $330 a year toward the cost of higher
education, previously paying $7 per year.

A. year toward the cost of higher education, previously paying $7 per year
B. year toward the cost of higher education, for which was previously paid $7 per
year
C. year, compared to the previously $7 per year, toward the cost of higher education
D. year toward the cost of higher education, instead of the $7 per year required
previously
E. year as opposed to the $7 per year required previously for the cost of higher
education

Though the right answer is D but sentence could have been lot better if "last year" would have used instead of previously.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
I could easily eliminate A, B, and E..and between C and D, I picked C.
7$ -> seven is an adjective - previously modifies the adjective, no? i understand that it is not explicitly written in this form..but in D "instead of" made me think twice whether it is correct...
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
mvictor wrote:
7$ -> seven is an adjective - previously modifies the adjective, no? i understand that it is not explicitly written in this form..but in D "instead of" made me think twice whether it is correct...

$7 is a thing and hence is a noun. Just like 'red car' is a thing.
So the use of previously (an adverb) is wrong here.

but isn't the red car a complex noun? formed by an adjective + noun?
so is in this question - 7 is adjective, dollars is noun, previously 7 - makes sense, no?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
mvictor wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
mvictor wrote:

$7 is a thing and hence is a noun. Just like 'red car' is a thing.
So the use of previously (an adverb) is wrong here.

but isn't the red car a complex noun? formed by an adjective + noun?
so is in this question - 7 is adjective, dollars is noun, previously 7 - makes sense, no?

Yes, correct. So think about this:
Will you say "The beautiful red car is ... " or "The beautifully red car is ..."

The point is that the entire "$7" acts as a noun and you need an adjective to modify it, not an adverb.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Expert,

X instead of Y-- X and Y both should be structurally parallel.

In choice D, how X and Y are structurally parallel. Please help !
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
AR15J wrote:
Hi Expert,

X instead of Y-- X and Y both should be structurally parallel.

In choice D, how X and Y are structurally parallel. Please help !

Contribute X instead of Y.

X = $300 a year
Y = the $7 per year

Two yearly values are compared. X is modified by "toward the cost of higher education" (prepositional phrase), and Y is modified by "required previously" (past participle), but this is not a problem - the modifiers are not compared.

However the comma before "instead" should not have been there.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bharath99 wrote:
Hello Experts,

Could you please further explain the Option C

The adverb "previously" is wrong. An adverb must refer to a verb or an adjective. However, "$7 per year" is a noun phrase requiring an adjective. Thus "previous" instead of "previously" should have been used. Hence option C is wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
ashkrs wrote:
Most of Portugal’s 250,000 university students boycotted classes in a one-day strike to
protest a law that requires them to contribute $330 a year toward the cost of higher

B. year toward the cost of higher education, for which was previously paid $7 per
year
C. year, compared to the previously $7 per year, toward the cost of higher education
D. year toward the cost of higher education, instead of the $7 per year required
previously
E. year as opposed to the $7 per year required previously for the cost of higher
education

Please explain.

shouldn't it be "towards" in all the options?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
rekhabishop wrote:
ashkrs wrote:

year
previously
education

Please explain.

shouldn't it be "towards" in all the options?

Hello rekhabishop,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

There is no difference in the usage of toward and towards. Both the words are used in the same context.

It is just that in American English, the word toward is used while in British English, the word towards is used.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 630 Q49 V26
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
daagh wrote:
A says that the higher education was previously paying $7

B The phrase - for which was previously paid $7 per year - is too awkward to consider
In C - previously $7 per year - is grammatically wrong. Previously is an adverb and can not modify the noun of $7

D has no flaws as such and is the best answer.

E -as opposed to -is not the right idiom to describe comparison, unless the arms of the comparison are positioned opposite to the others physically? In a weird way, E may also give the feeling that the students were in fact opposed to the $7 per year.

Hi daagh,
Pls pardon my ignorance & since nobody has raised this point it feels awkward to be the only one. I eliminated D & E because both use "the"7$. Is it ok to use the before a particular noun?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
ManishKM1 wrote:
Hi daagh,
Pls pardon my ignorance & since nobody has raised this point it feels awkward to be the only one. I eliminated D & E because both use "the"7$. Is it ok to use the before a particular noun?

Hello ManishKM1,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

Any article - a, an, or the - is used before a noun entity. In Choice D and E, $7 (7 dollar) per year is a noun entity. Hence, usage of article the before this noun entity is correct.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 599
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja

Could you provide the explanation for this question?

Thank you.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
I have a problem in choice D
"instead of" is a preposition, not a conjunction, which connect 2 similar thing.this means "instead of" can not connect 2 similar things

inhere, "instead of" connect 330 usd and 7 usd, the 2 similar things. so, choice D is wrong

pls, help explain. thank you
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts