Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3378 [12]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [3]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [3]
Given Kudos: 204
Send PM
Re: Most of Portugal's 250,000 university students boycotted classes in a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Quote:
A. year toward the cost of higher education, previously paying $7 per year

anairamitch1804 has a good explanation for why this option is wrong. In this option, it seems that the students are protesting while they are also previously paying $7 per year. Actions can't happen simultaneously if one of those actions happened previously.

Also, it's not clear what they were previously paying $7 per year for. In other options its clear that the $7 per year is in place of the $330 per year.

Finally, some people have pointed out that "paying" could either be modifying "students" or "law". As demonstrated in this question, "paying" could modify either "students" or "law". However, this would introduce only slight ambiguity. So slight that I don't think that this ambiguity alone would be enough to rule out (A).

Quote:
B. year toward the cost of higher education, for which was previously paid $7 per year

This option is actually not grammatical. The relative which clause has no subject. The clause can be read like this:
For [the cost of higher education] (blank subject) was previously paid $7 per year
Or like this:
(Blank subject) was previously paid $7 per year for [the cost of higher education]

Quote:
C. year, compared to the previously $7 per year, toward the cost of higher education

"Compared to" is not the same as "instead of" or "as opposed to". Thus, "compared to" changes the meaning of the sentence and we don't know that the $330/yr has been substituted for the $7/yr. We only know that they are compared.

Also, "previously $7 per year" is grammatically correct but gives the sentence a different meaning than the one we intend. See my previous post for a more in-depth explanation.

Quote:
D. year toward the cost of higher education, instead of the $7 per year required previously

This sentence looks good

Quote:
E. year as opposed to the $7 per year required previously for the cost of higher education

I think this one is pretty close to the right answer, but it seems to be inferior to choice (D).

"toward" is a little more exact than "for", but I think only slightly. I personally wouldn't eliminate (E) on that alone.

I think the most important issue with this option is that "as opposed to the $7 per year required previously" is not set off with commas. This really feels like a non-essential fragment. It doesn't the clarify the meaning of "$330 a year" and so I think it needs to be set off with commas. Grammarly calls these situations interrupters. Wiki calls them non-restrictive clauses.
I think this option would be much better if it instead read:
year, as opposed to the $7 per year required previously, for the cost of higher education

Finally, I'd like the "for the cost of higher education" to come before the "as opposed to...". I think this makes the sentence easier to read. In comparisons, we use ellipses quite a bit and I think the ellipses work better at the end of a clause - just like I think pronouns with antecedents are easier to read than pronouns with postcedents. Though, I wouldn't eliminate an option based on this alone.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 599
Send PM
Re: Most of Portugal's 250,000 university students boycotted classes in a [#permalink]
Hi GMATNinja

Could you provide the explanation for this question?

Thank you.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63652 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ballest127 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

Could you provide the explanation for this question?

Thank you.

There's a ton of discussion on this one already, including a short-but-sweet explanation from my long-lost brother @daagh, another really nice one right below it, and some thorough work from gmatman1031 right above your post. Let us know if those three don't resolve your doubts?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
I have a problem in choice D
"instead of" is a preposition, not a conjunction, which connect 2 similar thing.this means "instead of" can not connect 2 similar things

inhere, "instead of" connect 330 usd and 7 usd, the 2 similar things. so, choice D is wrong

pls, help explain. thank you
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
thangvietnam wrote:
"instead of" is a preposition, not a conjunction, which connect 2 similar thing.this means "instead of" can not connect 2 similar things

inhere, "instead of" connect 330 usd and 7 usd, the 2 similar things. so, choice D is wrong

It could be more useful to look at instead of as acting as an adverb, but (about your question on prepositions in general) how do you define "connect"? For example, in the following phrase:

The page in the book... ← noun1, preposition (with its object, adjective for noun1), noun2 (object of the preposition)

We're not looking at a "connection" of the kind we'd get with something like and.

The page and the book... ← This one is different from the page in the book.

We really shouldn't be too concerned about seeing nouns on both sides of instead of. In general, after a preposition, it is perfectly normal for us to see a noun (or a gerund). This has very little to do with whether we see a noun before the instead of.

1. The notice was sent to his boss instead of his lawyer.
2. This summer, he will work at the local library instead of going on another overseas vacation.
3. This summer, he will work instead of going on another overseas vacation.

Originally posted by AjiteshArun on 13 May 2019, 21:18.
Last edited by AjiteshArun on 17 May 2019, 08:52, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
thangvietnam wrote:

It could be more useful to look at instead of as acting as an adverb, but (about your question on prepositions in general) how do you define "connect"? For example, in the following phrase:

The page in the book... ← noun1, preposition (with its object, adjective for noun1), noun2 (object of the preposition)

We're not looking at a "connection" of the kind we'd get with something like and.

The page and the book... ← This one is different from the page in the book.

We really shouldn't be too concerned about seeing nouns on both sides of instead of. In general, after a preposition, it is perfectly normal for us to see a noun (or a gerund). This has very little to do with whether we see a noun before the instead of.

1. The notice was sent to his boss instead of his lawyer.
2. This summer, he will work at the local library instead of going an another overseas vacation.
3. This summer, he will work instead of going an another overseas vacation.

thank you for reply
I want to say that "instead of" is a preposition not a conjunction. Preposition+noun/doing can work as an adverb. conjunction connect 2 similar things, 2 verbs, 2 nouns, 2 adjectives...

"instead of" can not connect 2 similar things. there are many questions on gmatprep which test the difference between rather than, a conjunction, and instead of, a preposition.

instead of leaning French, I learn gmat

this is correct sentence.

so, in our problem, instead of connect 2 similar things, 330 usd and 7 usd. this is wrong. i am sorry to be frank. or I need help. pls, explain
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
thangvietnam wrote:
so, in our problem, instead of connect 2 similar things, 330 usd and 7 usd. this is wrong. i am sorry to be frank. or I need help. pls, explain
It's (usually) good to be frank. :)

The problem here is that it's hard to see what you mean by the word "connect". If you are looking for the kind of "connect" that a conjunction provides, you won't find it with an instead of.

If you feel that a structure that includes a "noun + instead of + noun" is always wrong, then you'll have to add that structure to your "whitelist".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
EducationAisle

For option D, "instead of the 7$ required previously". I learned that after instead of there should be no clause or verbs - only nouns or gerunds.

Here is "required" a verb-ed modifier or a verb on its own? It seems on gmat I crossed out this option thinking that required is a verb for a subject "law".

Thank you
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
By verb-ed modifier, I am assuming you mean Past Participle.

Yes, required is a past participle here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Send PM
daagh wrote:
A says that the higher education was previously paying $7

B The phrase - for which was previously paid $7 per year - is too awkward to consider
In C - previously $7 per year - is grammatically wrong. Previously is an adverb and can not modify the noun of $7

D has no flaws as such and is the best answer.

E -as opposed to -is not the right idiom to describe comparison, unless the arms of the comparison are positioned opposite to the others physically? In a weird way, E may also give the feeling that the students were in fact opposed to the $7 per year.

daagh
I was confused btwn c nd d nd rejected d
beacuse i thought
x instead of y is correct
Is X, instead of Y correct ?
Is comma correct after X in such idiom
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Vanam

I feel the comma after before 'instead of' is just a break from the long sentence before it. There is no other issue about it. Can you please elaborate why the comma your have referred spoils the idiomatic legitimacy?
I would rather not get stuck at such unproven things, unless I have seen it to be wrong in some authentic sources such as Dictionaries.

The takeaway is that one might not see the wood for the tree.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Hi experts, MartyTargetTestPrep GMATNinja AjiteshArun

Quick question on (A): Isn't the -ing modifier modifying the law, NOT the "students" or the "cost of higher education"? An -ing modifier should modify the closest preceding clause's subject, which in this case is the relative clause---"that (a law) that requires them to contribute..."
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [1]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM