It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 11:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Most of the purported health benefits of tea comes from antioxidants—c

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Most of the purported health benefits of tea comes from antioxidants—c [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2015, 12:23
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Most of the purported health benefits of tea comes from antioxidants—c [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2015, 07:52
A. comes from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C that
B. comes from antioxidants—compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and they

A&B out comes should be plural

C. come from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and ', and' is incorrect
D. come from antioxidants—compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C and that
E. come from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and they ', and they' is incorrect

Road to 25 Kudos :P

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 200

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2016, 15:28
raghavs wrote:
Most of the purported health benefits of tea comes from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C that inhibit the formation of plaque along the body’s blood vessels.

A. comes from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C that
B. comes from antioxidants—compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and they
C. come from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and
D. come from antioxidants—compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C and that
E. come from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and they

A and B are out right away because of the SV agreement error.
now..meaning is:
benefits of tea come from A
A - compounds that are found in X, y, z and that inhibit the formation.
C - benefits come and inhibit. so no.
D - looks good
E - they who? antioxidants? benefits? compounds? vessels? since D looks better, E is out.

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 200

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 136

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2016, 17:47
raghavs wrote:
Most of the purported health benefits of tea comes from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C that inhibit the formation of plaque along the body’s blood vessels.

C. come from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and
E. come from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and they

"health benefits" is the subject, so we need a plural verb: come. Thus, we can eliminate A and B. E is out because "they" is ambiguous - can be health benefits or the antioxidants. C is wrong because the 2nd "and" makes it a run-on sentence and changes the meaning. D has no errors.

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 136

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 91

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2016, 05:03
Isn't compounds Plural?
I thought for Plural, we sould use THOSE and not THAT

In this answer, we have.. compounds that

My undersatnding made me eliminate option D . :shock: :shock:

mvictor wrote:
raghavs wrote:

now..meaning is:
D - looks good
E - they who? antioxidants? benefits? compounds? vessels? since D looks better, E is out.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 91

Chat Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 140

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2016, 11:15
D maintains parallelism -- that and that

Also D sets the information as a subordinate C.

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 140

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3517 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2016, 12:28
abhishek03050 wrote:
Isn't compounds Plural?
I thought for Plural, we sould use THOSE and not THAT

In this answer, we have.. compounds that

My undersatnding made me eliminate option D . :shock: :shock:

mvictor wrote:
raghavs wrote:

now..meaning is:
D - looks good

"That" as relative pronoun can refer to singular or plural antecedent - OG has plenty of such examples.

Kudos [?]: 3517 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 36

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Babson '19 (A)
WE: Engineering (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2016, 06:31
Tricky :shock:
I thought of it this way:
Most of them are blah blah
Most of this thing is yada yada
Health benifits is plural
I think I read this sorta thing in the gmatclub grammar book :oops:

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 36

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 79

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 08:19
At option D,the relative clause refers to what? The compounds? Isn't that a plural subject? Am I missing any key point here?

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 79

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 30

GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2017, 09:02
(A) and (B) is wrong because of SV agreement. It should be the plural verb come.
(D) maintains the parallelism ...that.... and that...

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 30

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 08:52

A. comes from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C that - "comes" do not go with plural "benefits
B. comes from antioxidants—compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and they - "comes" do not go with plural "benefits
C. come from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and - incorrect as the "and" after vitamin C is placed incorrectly
D. come from antioxidants—compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C and that - CORRECT //ism between "that are also.." and "that inhibit" implying correctly that compounds are found in ... and compounds inhibit ...
E. come from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and they - "they" reference not clear and no //is as in option D

NOTE: I am not an expert, therefore my analysis answering the questions may be incorrect and may not be relied upon. However I will appreciate if you can correct the mistakes I may have made in my analysis.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 06:50
The 2/3 split here is right at the start of the underlined portion: do we need "comes" or "come"? The subject is "most of the purported health benefits," so we need the plural form "come".
We can eliminate E for using the pronoun "they," which could refer to antioxidants, compounds, or health benefits.

D uses parallel construction correctly:
"compounds that (are also found...) and that (inhibit the formation...)"
C does not use parallel form.
Look at choice C in its entirety:

Most of the purported health benefits of tea come from antioxidants--compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and inhibit the formation of plaque along the body's blood vessels.

"And" must connect like forms. Here, we see "and inhibit," so the "and" must be linking a preceding verb to "inhibit." The only preceding verb is "come." So we get the following: Most of the purported health benefits of tea come from anti-oxidants... and inhibit the formation of plaque. The purported health benefits inhibit the formation of plaque? That doesn't make any sense.

Contrast C with the logic and parallelism of D: compounds that are x and that inhibit y. Now the compounds are inhibiting the formation of plaque. This is logical.

"Found" in C is a participle that functions as an adjective modifying "compounds," whereas "inhibit" is a simple present tense verb of which "compounds" is the subject. (The construction "are found" contains the verb "are" + the participle "found." "And" can't be used to connect two different parts of speech.
(It's worth noting that "found" can also be a simple past tense verb. "Dave found a bug in his cereal." The compounds in the previous example are not the agents of the action in the way that Dave is here.)

This is a problem that deals with the structure of the sentence. D is parallel "compounds that modifier and that modifier. E does not have a legit strcuture: "compounds modifier , and they clause

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 855

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 364

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 07:05
raghavs wrote:

look at choice E
grammatically, "they" refers to subject of the previous clause by virtue of paralellism. this reference is not logic

even if we substitute "they" with "antioxidants" and we have two independent clause, we have kno reason to make two these clause paralel. in short, two meanings in these two clauses are not parallel. the substitution still makes wrong sentence.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 364

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 176

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2017, 06:17
mvictor wrote:
raghavs wrote:

now..meaning is:
D - looks good

Hello sayantanc2k GMATNinja

In option C, isn't the subject of the verb "inhibit" referring to "compounds" itself?

The structure I made in my mind is Compounds also found X and inhibit Y

But a few people in this thread have written "inhibit" refers to the main subject "most". I didn't get this. Can you help to identify the error in my thought process?

Manager
Manager
S

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 06:10
anairamitch1804 wrote:
The 2/3 split here is right at the start of the underlined portion: do we need "comes" or "come"? The subject is "most of the purported health benefits," so we need the plural form "come".
We can eliminate E for using the pronoun "they," which could refer to antioxidants, compounds, or health benefits.

D uses parallel construction correctly:
"compounds that (are also found...) and that (inhibit the formation...)"
C does not use parallel form.
Look at choice C in its entirety:

Most of the purported health benefits of tea come from antioxidants--compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and inhibit the formation of plaque along the body's blood vessels.

"And" must connect like forms. Here, we see "and inhibit," so the "and" must be linking a preceding verb to "inhibit." The only preceding verb is "come." So we get the following: Most of the purported health benefits of tea come from anti-oxidants... and inhibit the formation of plaque. The purported health benefits inhibit the formation of plaque? That doesn't make any sense.

Contrast C with the logic and parallelism of D: compounds that are x and that inhibit y. Now the compounds are inhibiting the formation of plaque. This is logical.

"Found" in C is a participle that functions as an adjective modifying "compounds," whereas "inhibit" is a simple present tense verb of which "compounds" is the subject. (The construction "are found" contains the verb "are" + the participle "found." "And" can't be used to connect two different parts of speech.
(It's worth noting that "found" can also be a simple past tense verb. "Dave found a bug in his cereal." The compounds in the previous example are not the agents of the action in the way that Dave is here.)

This is a problem that deals with the structure of the sentence. D is parallel "compounds that modifier and that modifier. E does not have a legit strcuture: "compounds modifier , and they clause

Hi -

If we had a sentence such as the below, would it be the correct choice?

Most of the purported health benefits of tea come from antioxidants—compounds also foundin beta carotene, vitamin E, and
vitamin C, and inhibited the formation of plaque along the body’s blood vessels.

In the above eample both found and inhibited will be a verb-ed modifier

Re: Most of the purported health benefits of tea comes from antioxidants—c   [#permalink] 07 Sep 2017, 06:10

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 35 posts ] 

Most of the purported health benefits of tea comes from antioxidants—c

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap