Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:31 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 587 [202]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [59]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [15]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from the mines. [#permalink]
Kudos
definitely A. It would be economical to use seawater uranium extraction if either cost is reduced or price goes up. The argument states that the cost has to be reduced which is true only is price doesn't go up. Depletion of supply will definitely cause price to go up.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 870 [4]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from the mines. [#permalink]
Kudos
My answer is also A.

If I were a VC and need to start doing the business of extracting uranium from sea water, I will go with A because that is the shortest way to determine the success of my venture. Sure, C also helps, but it takes time. And the question is about 'most useful', hence A wins over C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
i can't understand why A is the answer.. i would choose this option only in a "weaken question", but this is an "evaluation question"; my kaplan book says: "The correct answer won't strengthen or weaken the author's reasoning or supply a missing assumption. Instead, the right answer will specify the kind of evidence that you would help you to judge the validity of the author's argument"
this is the reason why i'd chose C
can someone helps me?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4889 [9]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
lucasITA wrote:
i can't understand why A is the answer.. i would choose this option only in a "weaken question", but this is an "evaluation question"; my kaplan book says: "The correct answer won't strengthen or weaken the author's reasoning or supply a missing assumption. Instead, the right answer will specify the kind of evidence that you would help you to judge the validity of the author's argument"
this is the reason why i'd chose C
can someone helps me?

We want to evaluate this:

Therefore, until the cost of extracting uranium from seawater can somehow be reduced, this method of obtaining uranium is unlikely to be commercially viable.

Which of the following would it be most useful to determine in evaluating the argument?

a. Whether the uranium in deposits on land is rapidly being depleted
This is the correct answer. If the deposits on land are rapidly being depleted, the uranium's price is going to be higher so despite the high costs, the method of obtaining uranium will be commercially viable.

c. Whether there are any technological advances that show promise of reducing the costs of extracting uranium from seawater
I) show promise of reduce != will reduce
II) determining the possible existence of such technologies does not help us in evaluating the argument
(...) until the cost of extracting uranium from seawater can somehow be reduced (...) <== it has no effect on this
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 343 [4]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 12-26-2014
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from mines [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
souvik101990 wrote:
Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from mines. It is possible to extract uranium from seawater, but the cost of doing so is greater than the price that uranium fetches on the world market. Therefore, until the cost of extracting uranium from seawater can somehow be reduced, this method of obtaining uranium is unlikely to be commercially viable. Which of the following would it be most useful to determine in evaluating the argument?

A. Whether the uranium in deposits on land is rapidly being depleted

B. Whether most uranium is used near where it is mined

C. Whether there are any technological advances that show promise of reducing the cost of extracting uranium from seawater

D. Whether the total amount of uranium in seawater is significantly greater than the total amount of uranium on land

E. Whether uranium can be extracted from freshwater at a cost similar to the cost of extracting it from seawater

Well this is a toughie.Two options are too close.
Fact 1: Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from mines
Fact 2: It is possible to extract uranium from seawater, but the cost of doing so is greater than the price that uranium fetches on the world market.
Conclusion: until the cost of extracting uranium from seawater can somehow be reduced, this method of obtaining uranium is unlikely to be commercially viable

A. Whether the uranium in deposits on land is rapidly being depleted
CORRECT.If the uranium in deposits on land is rapidly being depleted then we have no other choice to shift to some other source .Doesn't matter what the cost of extraction is !
B. Whether most uranium is used near where it is mined
Out of scope. We are concerned about price of extraction not transportation cost or any other thing that this argument is hinting.
C. Whether there are any technological advances that show promise of reducing the cost of extracting uranium from seawater
Incorrect.This is tempting.But i believe the argument is made now so we have to check the validity NOW.The future techs are out of scope.
D. Whether the total amount of uranium in seawater is significantly greater than the total amount of uranium on land
Irrelevant. It doesn't matter how large quantity is available in seawater.If the cost of extraction is high,we will not fetch it.
E. Whether uranium can be extracted from freshwater at a cost similar to the cost of extracting it from seawater
Out of SCOPE.This introduces a new source.We need to evaluate seawater only.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1711 [12]
Given Kudos: 886
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from mines [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Found a very nice explanation on manhattangmat.
here is the link for that https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/mos ... t3508.html

whoa, no, guys. that's not the issue here.

the problem is this:

the argument says
until the cost of extracting uranium from seawater can somehow be reduced, this method of obtaining uranium is unlikely to be commercially viable.

in other words, the argument is saying that the ONLY WAY that seawater extraction will be commercially viable is if the cost of that extraction comes down.

to weaken the argument, then, you need to find ANOTHER way in which seawater extraction will be commercially viable, WITHOUT a cost reduction.
this is what choice (a) does. if the uranium on land is being depleted, then extracting uranium from seawater will become "commercially viable", out of pure necessity. the cost will go up, but that's the breaks.

choice (c) doesn't actually affect the argument at all, because the argument already acknowledges that uranium will become commercially viable IF the price comes down.

--

analogy:
if i tell you this:
unless you eat my fish 'n' chips, you'll never know the true meaning of gastronomic ecstasy

then:
* if you say "eating your fish 'n' chips will give me gastronomic ecstasy", then that doesn't affect my statement at all, because you're just echoing what i've already told you.

however:
* if you say "au contraire, i can also get gastronomic ecstasy from a nice fat slice of meat lover's pizza", then that weakens my argument, because i'm telling you there's only one source of gastronomic ecstasy but you're countering with another.

substitute
fish 'n' chips --> cost increase
pizza --> depletion of land resources
gastonomic ecstasy --> commercially viable
...and there you have it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [4]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Accounting
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
gmat blows wrote:
Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from the mines. It is possible to extract uranium from seawater, but the cost of doing so is greater than the price that Uranium fetches on the world market. Therefore, until the cost of extracting uranium from seawater can somehow be reduced, this method of obtaining uranium is unlikely to be commercially viable.

Which of the following would it be most useful to determine in evaluating the argument?

a. Whether the uranium in deposits on land is rapidly being depleted
b. Whether most uranium is used near where it is mined
c. Whether there are any technological advances that show promise of reducing the costs of extracting uranium from seawater
d. Whether the total amount of Uranium in seawater is significantly greater than the total amount of uranium on land
e. Whether uranium can be extracted from freshwater at a cost similar to the cost of extracting it from seawater.

-----
I was able to narrow down to A, C, and D
Ive convinced myself that 'technological advaces' to reduce cost was slighltly a shift of scope.
now, between A and D. I feel that they are almost synonymous in meaning. It would be important to know whether the uranium is being depleted (if not, then extracting from seawater is not needed). However, doesnt D) somewhat imply the same thing? If there isnt alot of uranium in the seawater to begin with, then the even the reduction in cost would not be worth it?

Am i thinking too much about this?
thanks.

This is a great question and I just want to add my two cents to clarify the difference between A & C. I picked A first and then started thinking about C which also makes a lot of sense. But here's my reasoning for why C is definitely wrong.

A) Correct answer because, if land deposits are running out in 10 years then extracting from seawater becomes a necessity. At that point think about supply and demand, when the supply decreases, demand increases and the price goes up. Therefore at some point it becomes commercially viable. Now think about OIL, when the price of oil is $40 a barrel, it becomes commercially unprofitable to dig oil out of Alberta's tar sands, so companies stop extracting it. But when the price goes up, they start extracting because it becomes commercials viable. Demand has a huge impact on the price. Now imagine if all the Oil in the world ran out and we found oil on the Moon, would it become commercially viable to go to the moon? Yes, people would start going to the Moon to get oil. So think about that.

For C) many people are stuck with this option, I also thought this might be correct BUT, think about the supply. IF the supply of land uranium is unlimited, it will never run out, so even if there's new technology then that technology might make it cheaper to extract from land. (There is a lot of uncertainty). So think in terms of extremes, unlimited resources on land, therefore we may never have to extract from water, even if it becomes cheaper than it was before. Say Extracting from land = $1, and extracting from water = $10, even if the cost of extracting from water comes down to $5 with new technology, its still cheaper to get it from Land. So without knowing the cost of each method and supply, we can't answer with C.

So the answer is A. Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
why not (b)? since most of the uranium is used where it is mined then there can be reason to extract uranium at those places where there are no mines to meet the local demand making it commercially viable.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from the mines. It is possible to extract uranium from seawater, but the cost of doing so is greater than the price that Uranium fetches on the world market. Therefore, until the cost of extracting uranium from seawater can somehow be reduced, this method of obtaining uranium is unlikely to be commercially viable.

(A) Whether the uranium in deposits on land is rapidly being depleted

(B) Whether most uranium is used near where it is mined

(C) Whether there are any technological advances that show promise of reducing the costs of extracting uranium from seawater

(D) Whether the total amount of Uranium in seawater is significantly greater than the total amount of uranium on land

(E) Whether uranium can be extracted from freshwater at a cost similar to the cost of extracting it from seawater

ramsahoo wrote:
why not (b)? since most of the uranium is used where it is mined then there can be reason to extract uranium at those places where there are no mines to meet the local demand making it commercially viable.

The conclusion is that "until the cost of extracting uranium from seawater can somehow be reduced, this method of obtaining uranium is unlikely to be commercially viable." According to the author, the only way that extracting uranium from seawater will likely become commercially viable is if the COST of that method is decreased. But what if the PRICE that Uranium fetches on the world market increases? In that case, the seawater method could become commercially viable even if the cost does not decrease.

In order to evaluate the author's argument, we would want to know whether the price of Uranium is likely to increase, so (A) is the best choice.

As for choice (B), if the cost is greater than the price, then the method is not economically viable. We are told that the cost of the seawater method is currently greater than the price, REGARDLESS of where the Uranium is used.

Imagine a city with a high demand for Uranium, so you open a seawater extraction plant nearby. In order to be commercially viable, you'd still have to sell your Uranium at a price that exceeds the cost. But if that price exceeds the world market price, the city will buy it's Uranium from elsewhere, even though your plant is closer.

Sure, we could come up with hypothetical situations in which choice (B) might be relevant (i.e. something about transportation costs?), but in order to evaluate the specific argument in this passage, choice (A) is the most relevant and useful.

You mentioned that we need to evaluate along the COST, PRICE line. In that case why is C wrong which says the the cost will decrease based on technological advancements
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos