It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 21:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Most states impose limitations on the authority of the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 51 [1], given: 313

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Most states impose limitations on the authority of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 03:44
This post received
KUDOS
RMD007 wrote:
Requesting experts reply on this.

Can anybody please distinguish between the split to borrow money vs for borrowing money.

I was stuck between choice C and E. Finally went with E.

The best way to get an SC correct is to realize that there will always be more than one split between any two answer choices. So, if you can't decide on one split, look for other split.
Work on the other split between C and E - "limitations intended to.." vs "limitations with the intent...".
"with X" generally signify possession, so how can "limitation" posses "intent of protecting". And you are done...

Cheers !!

If you find my posts/replies helpful, please take a moment to click on the "kudos" icon.

Kudos [?]: 51 [1], given: 313

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 275

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Most states impose limitations on the authority of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 00:07
Limitations intended to protect ....................is a noun+noun modifier.

Limitations for borrowing money is little awkward.
I think we limit to do something and not limit for doing something.

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 275

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Kudos [?]: 1259 [1], given: 30

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 02:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
RMD007 "For" vs. "to" in this sentence is just a matter of idiom. You can have "authority to do X," but not "authority for doing X."

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 1259 [1], given: 30

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Kudos [?]: 1259 [0], given: 30

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 02:50
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Here's a quick rundown on A-C:

A) There's only one objective here ("to protect"). We're protecting two things--taxpayers and the credit of the state--but that still constitutes one objective. Additionally, you're not likely to see a clunky construction like "with their objectives being" in a correct answer.

B) "The objectives of which" is a noun modifier, so it should touch the noun it's meant to modify. There can be exceptions to this rule ("The King of Spain, who visited me" clearly modifies "King" and not "Spain"), but the modifier can't jump over two prepositional phrases to modify "limitations." Even if it could, one could argue that limitations can't have objectives. Only the people or groups implementing them can! (As a side note, "the protecting of" is also terrible usage.)

C) The GMAT loves to throw us off by repeating a previous noun. This is meant to provide clarity--we're talking about those limitations, and not any of the nouns that have appeared since--but this kind of repetition scares away people who aren't used to seeing it. That's just what the GMAT wants: to use language in a way that those with less experience will find unfamiliar and wrong! That's how they tell the top scorers from the rest.

Here's another good example of what I'm talking about in C: https://gmatclub.com/forum/proponents-o ... 81789.html

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 1259 [0], given: 30

Re: Most states impose limitations on the authority of the   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2017, 02:50

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ] 

Most states impose limitations on the authority of the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap