Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618819 [11]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT 4: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: Most teen-agers who work for pay hold jobs that require few skills, li [#permalink]
Kudos
At the very outset, it is clear that this question is testing parallelism.

Here we have a list of three things: few skills, little responsibility, and no hope.

The verb that opens the list is ‘require’. In order to maintain parallelism, we need verbs that agree with this.

Option E with ‘carry’ and ‘offer’ is the only option that satisfies the parallelism. Hence this is the best option.

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Most teen-agers who work for pay hold jobs that require few skills, li [#permalink]
While E maintains parallelism, it results in a sentence that makes no sense. "Most teen-agers who work for pay hold jobs that require few skills, carry little responsibility, and offer no hope for career advancement." => "Most teen-agers who [teens modified by jobs which then again get modified]...." Something is missing there, isn't it? What do those teens actually do?Please correct me if I'm wrong..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 267
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
IIIIIIIIIIIII wrote:
While E maintains parallelism, it results in a sentence that makes no sense. "Most teen-agers who work for pay hold jobs that require few skills, carry little responsibility, and offer no hope for career advancement." => "Most teen-agers who [teens modified by jobs which then again get modified]...." Something is missing there, isn't it? What do those teens actually do?Please correct me if I'm wrong..

I was also perplexed at first, but the sentence makes sense.
The sentence tries to convey that ...Most teenagers, [in particular] teenagers who work in order to get some money, hold jobs...now which kind of jobs do they hold...this is described by THAT modifier.....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
IIIIIIIIIIIII wrote:

I totally agree with you, I feel the sentence is incomplete.
After spending sufficient time, I chose the correct option E because it was the best among the five options. I have another question that I think is similar in the way this one is constructed. I bumped into the below question by Veritas yesterday.

Three federal lawsuits that charge a prominent investment firm with releasing fraudulent financial reports to promote sales of its mutual funds and raising disturbing questions about how to control fraudulent behavior in the financial services industry, behavior that appears to be on the rise.

(A) that charge a prominent investment firm with releasing fraudulent financial reports to promote sales of its mutual funds and raising disturbing questions about how to control fraudulent behavior in the financial services industry, behavior that appears to be on the rise

OE by Veritas Prep:

E. This dense sentence includes several verbs, making its structure difficult to follow. The key is the verb “raise” (or “raising” or “raises”) about halfway through the sentence – that verb belongs to the lawsuits, as the point of the sentence is that “three lawsuits raise disturbing questions”. In choice A, the verb “raising” is incorrect for two reasons: one, it logically doesn’t make sense that the investment firm would both release the fraudulent documents and raise the disturbing questions about fraud. Two, without an active verb “raise” belonging to the lawsuits, the sentence doesn’t have a subject and verb. As written, choice A only modifies the lawsuit…it never introduces a verb for the subject. In B and C, the verb “raises” is singular, but the subject “three lawsuits” is plural. And in choice D, the active verb “charge” leaves the verb “raise” without a subject (stripped down it reads “lawsuits charge a firm with releasing documents raise” – the verb “raise” is left alone). Choice E, which commits none of these errors, is correct – but watch out for the unique appositive phrase at the end, a classic GMAT technique of hiding the right answer behind an unfamiliar sentence structure.

(E) charging a prominent investment firm with releasing fraudulent financial reports to promote sales of its mutual funds raise disturbing questions about how to control fraudulent behavior in the financial services industry, behavior that appears to be on the rise

As for parallelism, I know the option A is incorrect. But my doubt is regarding the SUBJECT-VERB agreement. Three federal lawsuits that (relative pronoun modifier) charge- Can the main subject not take the verb charge? Is there a gap in my understanding?

Going by the explanation provided by Veritas, Can I think that MOST TEENAGERS lacks an active verb ? Please help. I am not even sure if all this makes sense, I am kinda lost.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts