GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 18:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Motorcycle-safety courses, offered by

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Re: Motorcycle-safety courses, offered by  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2015, 18:19
Akgmat85 wrote:
i find that i got trapped since argument speaks about motorcyclists who are involved in a serious accident, and answer choice talks about all motorcyclists, so i ruled it out as comparing two different subsets of data.

So to that, is it just a poorly written question or is it like that on purpose? and if on purpose, how do u reconcile comparing two subsets of data?

First of all, you need to understand the pattern how GMAT is testing you. For example %centages - normally GMAT tests the students:
1) Comparing %tages and actual Numbers
2) Changing the base of the %tages

So this question falls in the second category and as a student, you need to understand that change and be mindful of these changes.

This is not at all poorly written question and you need to practice more these type of questions to get a hang of these questions.

All the best.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2015, 06:25
Hi everybody,

This question is such a masterpiece that I thought I should post my 2 cents for those who still didn't get what the Q is basically talking about.

Pls refer the figure I attached:
Case I is the situation presented in the Q i.e. it represents the motorcyclists involved in a serious motorcycle accident
Case II and III represents those motorcyclists who NEVER involved in a serious motorcycle accident

Firstly, we have to consider those motorcyclists too who NEVER involved in a serious motorcycle accident, in order to recommend that the course would basically reduce the no. of serious motorcycle accidents.

Now, look at hypothetical case II, in which we see that only 9% motorcyclists took the course and the rest 91% didn't care. In this situation can we really say that more the motorcyclists take the course less the no. of serious accidents. NO, it seems the courses actually do not any role to prevent motorcyclists from serious accidents. So, conclusion doesn't hold here.

Now consider hypothetical case III, clearly the training made the difference here and we should recommend the course. In other words the conclusion is true. Note that for the case III to be true, overall, significantly more than eight percent of motorcyclists have taken a motorcycle-safety course. This is nothing but choice A.

I know we can't afford to think or draw in such details during GMAT but, this is to show you the level of thinking required by this kind of Qs. I prefer diagrams over words, so it was easy for me to think this way. Experts, pls correct my mistakes.

P.S. Sorry for the totally unprofessional diagram :wink:
Attachments

IMG_20151106_181457.jpg
IMG_20151106_181457.jpg [ 3.49 MiB | Viewed 2052 times ]

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2015, 10:17
Now frankly speaking i think this question is overrated :)

I saw the difficulty level to be 85% and was over cautious while reading. Then i came to option A and spent good time there. I moved even without comprehending it 100%. But as soon as i read the other choices, i realized that all others were too distant from the topic at hand and hence are all either irrelevant or out of scope. I had my variance test ready, but never needed to use. Am i missing anything?

D has got the most votes! Why would we care about what the motorcycle has hit- a moving motorcycle,a truck ,a wall or anything for that sake. That's completely irrelevant. I mean.. seriously whats the catch that im missing?!?

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 570 Q42 V26
GMAT 3: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2016, 17:03
A : If the number of people who have taken the safety course is significantly higher than the overall 8% of all motorcyclists- then it shows that the motorcycle safety course is giving the desired effect. The 8% of the people who had taken the course and got involved in a bad accident is not filled filled up wholly by the people who took the course.

On the other hand if the number of people who who took the safety course is significantly less than overall 8% of motorcyclists - then it may suggest that almost all the people who took the safety course and still got into an accident are wholly representative of the the total number of people who took the course. Basically, everyone took the course and despite that got into an accident.

Hence, A is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: Duke '21
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE: Other (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2016, 21:11
A.
The argument takes 92% of THOSE INVOLVED IN ACCCIDENT to make conclution for ALL MOTORIST.
Ex:
...............course..............no course.........total
Accident. 8. 92. 100
No acc.
Total. X. 1000-x. 1000
In choice A: if x=80(0.08*1000)=> accident rate for course and no course is the same. ==>weaken argu
The larger x is, the more strenthen the argument

Kudo is nothing but encouragement!

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Wharton '18 (S)

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2016, 18:49
I got this question wrong when taking GmatPrep, but I honestly believe that understanding why we might select wrong answers helps us learn to make correct choices in the future.

I initially chose answer choice (D) when taking GmatPrep exam 1. When reading the question, I summarized the argument as follows: more cyclists taking courses will lead to fewer accidents. I then attempted to find an answer that would indicate this statement wasn't true.

I summarized answer choice (D) as:

If 92% of accidents involve someone else then there is the possibility that even if motorcyclists take course the number of accidents might not be reduced because we don't know anything about the behavior of other drivers. Admittedly, my logic here was wishy washy because we don't know for sure that the course still wouldn't help in this case. An evaluate answer must be one such that either an answer of "YES" or "No" either strengthens or weakens the argument. One caveat here that I feel isn't mentioned a lot is that the answer doesn't have to both strengthen and weaken. If an answer of "YES" strengthens, but an answer of "No" doesn't tell us much then the answer could still be correct.

With that said, I think one of the biggest mistakes here is that I was looking for an answer that weakened my summary of the argument above (courses -> fewer accidents). However, the question is not asking for something that would just weaken the argument. The argument is asking for something that evaluates the validity of evidence. This type of question is a little unusual for me personally.

The only answer choice that directly challenges the validity of the data itself is answer choice A. As someone already pointed out, answer choice D focus on 92% of "Accidents" instead of 92% of motorcyclists in accidents.

I realize my response might not be as profound as some others on this thread but I hope it was helpful to anyone who had a similar thought process as I did when answering this question.
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT-LGO '18
Motorcycle-safety courses, offered by  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2016, 05:23
a = No of people taken the Safety Training
x = No of people who have taken the Safety Training and undergone accidents
b = No of people who have not taken the Safety Training
y = No of people who have not taken the Safety Training and undergone accidents

For the training to be successful ,

(x/a) < (y/b)
or, (a/b)>(x/y)
or, (a/(a+b))> (x/(x+y))
or, Percentage of people undergone safety training > Percentage of people involved in accidents and have taken the safety courses

From question,

Percentage of people undergone safety training > 8 %
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2016, 19:38
Although I marked D as an answer, I had a little hard time understanding A as an answer. The number approach below helped -

Suppose, there are 200 motorists, and among those, 100 are involved in accidents.
This implies, 92% of 100, i.e. 92 motorists who were involved in accidents did not took the safety course. Also, remaining 8 motorists did.

Now, among total 200 motorists did more then 8% of motorists took safety course -->

YES - that means more than 8%=16 motorists, lets take 17. This means 17 motorists took the course and among those, 8 were involved in accidents, which is less than 50% of people who took safety course. This implies safety course did help majority motorists (=9) avoid accidents.

NO - that means less than 8%=16 motorists, lets take 15. This means 15 motorists took the course and among those, 8 were involved in accidents, which is MORE than 50% of people who took safety course. This implies safety course did NOT help majority avoid accidents.

Therefore its important to get an answer for A to support safety course.

Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever - Gandhi

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 09:26
Hello Verbal Experts (GMATNinja,e-Gmat)

I am confused how option A is the answer?

Can someone help over here..

Thanks in advance!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2017, 19:07
SidJainGMAT wrote:
Hello Verbal Experts (GMATNinja,e-Gmat)

I am confused how option A is the answer?

Can someone help over here..

Thanks in advance!

Quote:
A) Whether significantly more than eight percent of motorcyclists have taken a motorcycle-safety course

We are told that 92% of the motorcyclists involved in serious accidents (NOT 92% of ALL motorcyclists) have never taken a safety course. This also means that 8% of those involved in serious accidents HAVE taken a safety course.

Before we dig into choice (A), pretend that half of ALL motorcyclists took a safety course and the other half did not. In that case, consider the following possible results from the data:

• Half of motorcyclists involved in serious accidents took the course and half did not (an even split) - this would suggest that the course had no effect. Motorcyclists who took a safety course were just as likely to get in a serious accident as motorcyclists who did not take a safety course.
  • Most motorcyclists involved in serious accidents did NOT take the course - this would suggest that the course did help. Motorcyclists who did not take the course were MORE likely to get in a serious accident.

Now, what if only 8% of all motorcyclists have taken a safety course? Well, if the course was useless, then we would expect that 8% of those involved in serious accidents have taken the course. It would be like if we painted blue nail polish on 8% of all motorcyclists. If the nail polish has no effect on safety, then we would expect 8% of those involved in serious accidents to have blue nail polish. In other words, those with blue nail polish are just as likely to be involved in a serious accident as those without blue nail polish.

Similarly, if only 8% of motorcyclists have taken a safety course, then this would suggest that the safety courses did NOT have a significant effect on safety, hurting the argument. However, if significantly more than eight percent of motorcyclists have taken a motorcycle-safety course, then the data would suggest that the safety courses were effective.

Thus, choice (A) is the best answer.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2018, 19:57
Motorcycle-safety courses, offered by a number of organizations, teach motorcyclists important techniques for handling their vehicles and for safely sharing the road with other road users. If more motorcyclists took these courses, there would be fewer serious motorcycle accidents. Data show that 92 percent of the motorcyclists who are involved in a serious motorcycle accident have never taken a motorcycle-safety course.

In assessing whether the data cited provide support for the position taken about more motorcyclists’ taking the courses, it would be most useful to determine which of the following?

Cool, question is asking for what will be helpful to determine the blue above

A) Whether significantly more than eight percent of motorcyclists have taken a motorcycle-safety course Maybe. Leave it on side. No reason to reject
B) Whether it is riskier for a motorcyclist to ride with a passenger behind the rider than to ride alone Too much implied and not enough mentioned in stem. This is overthinking it. Reject
C) Whether the different organizations that offer motorcycle-safety courses differ in the content of the courses that they offer Nothing in the stem talks about different courses. Reject.
D) Whether more than 92 percent of serious motorcycle accidents involve collisions between a motorcycle and another vehicle in motion So what is it's with a crash against a pavement or another vehicle? I don't see how this is relevant.
E) Whether variations in the size and potential speed of a motorcycle influence the risk of a serious accident’s occurring Same as above, no information is provided about size and speed of a motorcycle in the stem or in the course

Via POE, I would choose A.

If this helped, please give kudos!

Re: Motorcycle-safety courses, offered by &nbs [#permalink] 12 May 2018, 19:57

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

Motorcycle-safety courses, offered by

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap