Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [489]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [140]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.84
WE:Editorial and Writing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63652 [92]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3155 [67]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Motorcycle-safety courses, offered by a number of organizations, teach [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I think answer should have been phrased more precisely.

Cause : Courses
Effect: fewer serious accidents

Data: 92%(of serious accidents) didn't take course.

Assume 100 accidents

92 didn't take course
8 took course.

Now by this data author concludes that courses-> few accidents.

However,we don't have data about how many of total motorcyclists had courses.

If 1000 took course and only 8 met with accident then course is fruitful.

If 8 took course and 8 met with the accident, then course is not fruitful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [31]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
Send PM
Re: Motorcycle-safety courses, offered by a number of organizations, teach [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Although I marked D as an answer, I had a little hard time understanding A as an answer. The number approach below helped -

Suppose, there are 200 motorists, and among those, 100 are involved in accidents.
This implies, 92% of 100, i.e. 92 motorists who were involved in accidents did not took the safety course. Also, remaining 8 motorists did.

Now, among total 200 motorists did more then 8% of motorists took safety course -->

YES - that means more than 8%=16 motorists, lets take 17. This means 17 motorists took the course and among those, 8 were involved in accidents, which is less than 50% of people who took safety course. This implies safety course did help majority motorists (=9) avoid accidents.

NO - that means less than 8%=16 motorists, lets take 15. This means 15 motorists took the course and among those, 8 were involved in accidents, which is MORE than 50% of people who took safety course. This implies safety course did NOT help majority avoid accidents.

Therefore its important to get an answer for A to support safety course.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [17]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A, I have my reasoning based on statistics that i can see.

Here it goes, The argument asks us to evaluate the data that "92 percent of serious accidents involve people who did not have training" and its impact on the argument. So the obvious question that arises is: Whether that number 92 percent is also equal to the number of people who are not trained and if that is the case then stats do not show anything surprising. But if on the other hand lets say that 90 percent of people are trained and rest 10 percent are not trained and only the 10 percent are involved in accident then the data does not help.

Will explain more if thinking is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [19]
Given Kudos: 200
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Marcab wrote:
OA after discussions

Applying the variance test we can simply check the validity of the conclusion and reach at the correct answer in " evaluate the argument " type of questions.. here we need to swing the conclusion " if more motorcyclists took this course , there would be fewer motorcycle accidents...Clearly A is the correct choice here ..

As option A says.. Whether significantly more than 8% of motorcyclists in general (the group) have taken a safety course..

If we answer No to his question and assume that may be only 8% or 9% of motorcyclist have taken the safety course ..it clearly strengthens the conclusion ..As motorcyclist not involved in accidents is 8% and if all of them have taken a safety course or if only 1% of those who have taken the course met with an accident then the argument conclusion is obviously strengthened .. as those who are taking the course are not involved in accident , thus if more people took this course lesser accidents..

If we answer yes to the option A i.e significantly higher than 8% of that group has taken the course ..assume 50%..this means that lots of motorcyclists who took the course still met with an accident coz only 8% did not meet an accident ..so may be 42% of those who took the course met with an accident ..so clearly conclusion is weakened ..as the course does not guarantee lesser accidents..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [4]
Given Kudos: 45
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Answer D is clearly a TRAP! It creates a confusion on stats presented: "92% of people involved in serious accidents didn't take course" is different than "92% of people involved in serious accidents with other vehicles".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1188 [18]
Given Kudos: 172
GPA: 3.46
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
IMO A.

Here,

Conclusion: If more motorcyclists took motorcycle-safety driving courses, there would be fewer accidents (Cause-effect relation)
Evidence: 92% of the motorcyclists involved in the accidents had never taken any motorcycle-safety driving course.

Pre-Thinking:
The argument basically says that evaluate this sample statistical evidence i.e. whether indeed this represents the above mentioned causal relation. Immediate doubt should come what if the sample itself contained more motorcyclists without any motorcycle-safety course i.e. data is misrepresented and skewed towards proving the causal relation itself.

We need to analyze whether remaining 8% of the motorcyclists of the statistical evidence truly represents the motorcyclists with motorcycle-safety course or they are underestimated.

The correct answer should re-phrase this. A allows us to this rephrasing and evaluation of the argument and causal relation.

B. Irrelevant as we are not concerned about the risk of driving alone or with any other person accompanied.
C. Simply Out of Scope.
D too is irrelevant here since looking at it closely we can see that this option fails to prove and evaluate the causal relation here.
E. Irrelevant. It doesn't address the conclusion or rather causal relation. Size and speed are irrelevant.

Hence IMO A.
Please provide the OA. Really good question.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [9]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
LET Y NUMBER OF SERIOUS ACCIDENTS........
0.08Y ARE TRAINED, 0.92Y ARE NOT TRAINED

FIRST SCENARIO......LET X MOTORCYCLYSTS------
.09X HAVE TRAINED, .91 X HAVE NOT

RATIO OF ACCIDENT-----TRAINED- .08Y/.09X= 8Y/9X ........UNTRAINED- 0.92Y/0.91X=92Y/91X........TRAINING IS USEFUL

SECOND SCENARIO---........07 X TRAINED, .93X DID NOT..................

RATIO OF ACCIDENT...... TRAINED- 8X/7Y.......UNTRAINED- 92Y/93X............TRAINING IS NOT USEFUL

"A"IS THE CORRECT ANSWER...........

KUDOS IF YOU PLEASE.............
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [4]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Motorcycle-safety courses, offered by a number of organizations, teach motorcyclists important techniques for handling and for safely sharing the road with other road users. If more motorcyclists took these courses, there would be fewer serious motorcycle accidents. Data show that 92% of the motorcyclists who are involved in a serious motorcycle accident have never taken a motorcycle-safety course.

In assessing whether the data cited provided support for the position taken about motorcyclists' taking the courses, it would be most useful to determine which of the following?

- Whether significantly more than eight percent of motorcyclists have taken a motorcycle-safety course -> Correct
92% didn't take the course and suppose 8% have taken the course who were not involve the accident -> Supports the argument
Suppose only 1% out of 8% who have taken the course were not involved in the accident. Then there is some other reason for this observation-> Weakens the argument

- Whether it is riskier for a motorcyclist to ride with a passenger behind the rider than to ride alone - OFS
- Whether the different organizations that offer motorcycle-safety courses differ in the content of the courses that they offer - OFS
- Whether more than 92% of serious motorcycle accidents involve collisions between a motorcycle and another vehicle in motion. - OFS
Serious accidents is a subset of accidents caused by the issues addressed in the courses. The premise has already mentioned that. It is irrelevant to mention it again.

- Whether variations in the size and potential speed of a motorcycle influence the risk of a serious accident's occurring. - OFS
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [11]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos