Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:HBS, MIT Sloan, Stanford, Haas (withdrew with interview invite)
Send PM
Re: Moving to School [#permalink]
Kudos
Take it from me and please get references for movers from people you know.

I had a no-name, budget-mover nightmare after using a similar site to the one listed above. Not only did my things arrive 2 weeks later than expected, but one of the movers on the front end really took advantage of me. He waited until AFTER he had taken all my things and put them in the truck to tell me that I'd either have to pay an extra fee (several hundred dollars!) for a long driveway or that I could TIP him $200 cash to keep the long driveway quiet.

I tried bargaining him down to a $100 dollar tip, but he got angry. I'm a small-ish woman and actually got kind of afraid and wound up giving him the $200 tip.

Don't use sketchy internet movers.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q51  V42
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Engineer at a Food & Beverage Company
WE 2: Engineer at an Automotive Supplier
WE 3: Consultant at a Management Consulting Firm
Send PM
I've done a couple of moves between cities and I can't stress enough the importance of doing your homework when you pick a mover.

I've never been scammed but all of these companies are basically hub-n-spoke operations who sometimes hire some really shady local contractors. I would definitely check out the website https://www.movingscam.com/ to read up on some of the companies out there

I am not affiliated with that site and I'm not trying to SPAM you -- see my # of posts.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
There are a few sites about moving scams...seriously if you hire professionals check them out. As for auctioning off your move, sorry but I am not putting my stuff in someones truck and letting them drive off without a hell of a lot of confidence in their company.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Send PM
balki1867 wrote:
I am not affiliated with that site and I'm not trying to SPAM you -- see my # of posts.

I agree, there are a lot of scams out there and you have to be careful. I just thought it was a neat way of getting your stuff moved.

RF
Current Student
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
There are a few sites about moving scams...seriously if you hire professionals check them out. As for auctioning off your move, sorry but I am not putting my stuff in someones truck and letting them drive off without a hell of a lot of confidence in their company.

I would tend to agree. Sometimes your peace of mind is worth a few hundred extra dollars. Starting business school is stressful enough without having to worry if you'll actually get your stuff delivered!

RF
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
BigBad wrote:
Take it from me and please get references for movers from people you know.

I had a no-name, budget-mover nightmare after using a similar site to the one listed above. Not only did my things arrive 2 weeks later than expected, but one of the movers on the front end really took advantage of me. He waited until AFTER he had taken all my things and put them in the truck to tell me that I'd either have to pay an extra fee (several hundred dollars!) for a long driveway or that I could TIP him $200 cash to keep the long driveway quiet.

I tried bargaining him down to a $100 dollar tip, but he got angry. I'm a small-ish woman and actually got kind of afraid and wound up giving him the $200 tip.

Don't use sketchy internet movers.

+1

Very good post. Thanks for sharing.

Now I might have to use the movers myself soon. Although I was planning on hiring professional help, anyone know a great, reliable site or service that he/she can recommend to rest of us? (Regional or National service)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Are people with long moves (~1000 miles) generally considering moving their furniture or buying furniture at school - either from graduating students or IKEA? I've just started considering what to do with my stuff and am not sure whether it would be easier or cheaper to just store my nicer things at family's house/storage and trash the things I wouldn't mind trashing, than to move everything to school and move it back 2 years later.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
NJMike4MBA wrote:
store my nicer things at family's house/storage and trash the things I wouldn't mind trashing, than to move everything to school and move it back 2 years later.

We thought about this...However, there is no 100% sure thing you will be located where you want. Some companies pay to relocate you and some dont. I think it also depends how much stuff you have and how nice it is. I think my move was like 2200-2400 from the Boston area to Chicago, I used one of the huge national chains so it wasn't the cheapest but I figured it was reliable and wasn't going to close up shop. I think you would be hard pressed to get everything you need for 2-3k. Yes a lot of things could be cheap but I sure as hell wouldnt buy a cheap or used mattress, or another HD-TV. Those two things alone were about what my move cost me.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
I was planning on doing the move myself, but I'll have to see how that works out. When I was single, I tried to keep my junk accumulation to a minimum. Since I have gotten married, the accumulation of 'stuff' has been ridiculous. Moving ourselves will now be much more of a challenge.

River, if it cost you $2400 to move from Boston to Evanston, I can't even imagine how much it would cost to have our stuff moved from San Diego. I suppose I will have to create a spreadsheet to determine which option is the most affordable. When you hire a moving service, do they just basically load up your boxes and furniture for you, drive it to the destination, and then unload it? I don't really mind packing our own things, but if it's cheap enough, it'd be awesome to have somebody do it for me.

In any event, great thread here. This was something I have been meaning to ask myself.
Current Student
Send PM
NJMike4MBA wrote:
Are people with long moves (~1000 miles) generally considering moving their furniture or buying furniture at school - either from graduating students or IKEA? I've just started considering what to do with my stuff and am not sure whether it would be easier or cheaper to just store my nicer things at family's house/storage and trash the things I wouldn't mind trashing, than to move everything to school and move it back 2 years later.

My plan is to move light. I just bought a new bed, so that's coming with me. Kitchen stuff is too hard to replace, so I'll take that with me. A dresser and my sofa and that's about it. I'll be getting rid of all the boxes of books I have, all the clothes I don't wear, etc, etc. I've got an old IKEA kitchen table that I'll toss and some other stuff that will be pretty cheap to replace.

I've moved three times in the the last 6 years, so I'm pretty good at it!

RF
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [0]
Send PM
yea when it's my time.. I would just buy cheap stuff for 2 years use. Try to pack light.
Me too, I moved 2x in the past 2 years..and I pack everything inside my car (I don't have a bed, and I got a furnished place) and travel for 8 hours.
If you have more stuff, 1-2 boxes overload, you can fedex it..almost the same price as USPS, but a few of my friends/relatives had bad experience with USPS (boxes went missing).
The farther the move, the more reason to just buy some used stuff... I'm sure you can find a lot of quality stuff from the graduates.
I don't know what factor plays in pricing, but if anyone's thinking to ship their car, my friend recently did that and it cost her 1500ish, and that was from Seattle (Wash) to Sacramento (Cali)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
If you do not have a lot of stuff to move, you should consider ABF relocube. It is similar to PODS but cheaper for cross-country moves. It cost less than 700 last summer to move my stuff from Atlanta to Evanston.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
futuredukemba exists still haha...and is the only kellogg poster I have yet to meet at school.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
 Q50  V38
Send PM
futuredukemba wrote:
If you do not have a lot of stuff to move, you should consider ABF relocube. It is similar to PODS but cheaper for cross-country moves. It cost less than 700 last summer to move my stuff from Atlanta to Evanston.

time to change your name lol maybe, how about currentkelloggmba
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
I'm going to try to get rid of all our useless stuff before we move, so hopefully we can cut down on it. I have moved FOUR times since July 2005. Does that qualify me as a gypsy?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
My furniture is pretty basic. So I need to figure out if it's cheaper to :
- pay for movers and keep the furniture
0r
- sell the furniture, move the rest myself and buy new low-cost stuff

fun stuff :)
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
We'll probably be hiring movers. We just have way too much furniture that we'd rather not toss.

BUT if you ask my husband, he's driving one car out. Flying back, driving the truck out, and I'm driving the other car. And somehow, after 12 hours of driving, the two of us are hauling all our furniture and electronics into an apartment. Yeah right, he forgets I'm not capable of lifting massive furniture.
Which is why the wifey suggests professional movers :)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2