GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 08:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Re: Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2013, 02:00
I would have definitely gone with A if 'unqualified' was not the word. unqualified is too strong a word. Ms Siuzdak does not feel Mr Janeck thinks something disqualifies him from contesting for the office. Nothing disqualifies him. Its just that voters will feel he is incompetent to run a state

But I guess the OA is A. :|

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
seekmba wrote:
Mr. Janeck: I don’t believe Stevenson will win the election for governor. Few voters are willing to elect a businessman with no political experience to such a responsible public office.
Ms. Siuzdak: You’re wrong. The experience of running a major corporation is a valuable preparation for the task of running a state government.

M. Siuzdak’s response shows that she has interpreted Mr. Janeck’s remark to imply which of the following?
(A) Mr. Janeck considers Stevenson unqualified for the office of governor.
(B) No candidate without political experience has ever been elected governor of a state.
(C) Mr. Janeck believes that political leadership and business leadership are closely analogous.
(D) A career spent in the pursuit of profit can be an impediment to one’s ability to run a state government fairly.
(E) Voters generally overestimate the value of political experience when selecting a candidate

It is a good idea to first read the question stem. It prepares you to analyze the stimulus according to the question. Plus, in a complicated question, you don't have to go back and read the entire stimulus again (part of SWIMMER strategy of Veritas)

Here I first read the question: Ms. Siuzdak’s response shows that she has interpreted Mr. Janeck’s remark to imply which of the following?
I see there are two speakers. I know that Ms. Siuzdak interprets Mr. Janeck’s remark to imply something. Great, lets go ahead and read the stimulus.

Mr Janeck talks about the unwillingness of voters to elect a businessman without political experience to such a position.

Ms Siuzdak says, "You are wrong." and goes on to elaborate how experience of running a business prepares one to run the government.

When I read Ms. Siuzdak's response, I think, "She is interpreting an implication in Mr Janeck's remark. What is it?"
It does strike me as odd that he only mentioned how voters feel. He did not say that Stevenson was unsuitable for office while Ms. Siuzdak tries to convince him why Stevenson is suitable. She doesn't say something like, "You are wrong. Voters understand that the experience of running a major corporation is a valuable preparation for the task of running a state government."

Now I look at the options. It is pretty clear that she interpreted that Mr Janeck believes Stevenson is not suitable for office. (A) is the correct answer.
(D) is incorrect. The issue is experience here. Not how profit chasing affects the character of a person and makes him unsuitable for government office.
(E) is incorrect because she overlooked voters completely and responded to Mr Janeck as if he had said the following: "A businessman with no political experience should not be elected to such a responsible public office."
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2013, 23:07
Mr. Janeck: I don’t believe Stevenson will win the election for governor. Few voters are willing to elect a businessman with no political experience to such a responsible public office.
Ms. Siuzdak: You’re wrong. The experience of running a major corporation is a valuable preparation for the task of running a state government.

The argument talks about 2 people arguing about a candidate. Janeck says that lack of political experience is a problem for Stevenson. Voters would not vote for such a person. Siuzdak says that running a corp is a training ground for running a govt

M. Siuzdak’s response shows that she has interpreted Mr. Janeck’s remark to imply which of the following?
(B) No candidate without political experience has ever been elected governor of a state.
(C) Mr. Janeck believes that political leadership and business leadership are closely analogous.
(D) A career spent in the pursuit of profit can be an impediment to one’s ability to run a state government fairly.
(E) Voters generally overestimate the value of political experience when selecting a candidate

My understanding is that Siuzdak thinks that Janeck is overestimating lack of political experience as a weak link. Hence I think it should be E.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2013, 23:10
Aha! Karishma explained it very well..thanks!

It seems the voters are not part of the discussion for Siuzdak. So A is correct.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2014, 21:51
Why can't the answer be E?

E clearly identifies the general perception among voters who consider POLITICAL exp. as the sole criteria in determining the worthiness of a candidate. Also,
her response conveys the same idea...
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2016, 18:45
Hi,

Can anyone pls help in explaining why D is wrong?

According to me, option D also questions the ability of the Mr. J to run for Governor.

Is option A correct because option D is generic in nature?

Experts pls advice.

Thanks!
VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2016, 22:15
Rohitbhsya, the basic thing to realize here is that she says nobody will vote for someone without any *political* experience where is he responds that they will vote for someone with *business* experience.

So he's basically interpreting what she's saying as *experience* instead of *political experience.* The closest paraphase of this is that he believes she is stating that the candidate is *unqualified.* as in A.

She's not saying he's unqualified... she's just saying that voters are not going to vote for someone without political experience.

D is saying that he understood her as saying that having a business career is going to stop him from running a government in an equitable manner.

That claim is not vague at all it's quite specific and quite unfounded, especially when we deal fairness into the situation.

In sum, there's no one saying that a business career is going to keep him from doing a good job.

She's merely pointing out that the lack of political experience is going to keep him from being voteable.

The more specific the claim the more likelihood it is untrue and that is the case here. I hope this helps!

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Strategist MBAPrepCoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2017, 08:49
a good question and a great trap.
A is the answer because of POE, and this is an inference question.
VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 07:17
Imo A
Mr. Janeck suggests that Mr Stevenson is unqualified for the Job of a governor since he does not posses political experience.
Only A follows from the argument .

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Verbal Forum Moderator
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 08:38
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.29
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 05:39
seekmba wrote:

Conclusion of Siuzdak - Stevenson can win an election.
Premise - The experience of running a major corporation is a valuable preparation for the task of running a state government - this gives Stevenson a fair shot.

Only - A is close enough.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 11:23

(A) Mr. Janeck considers Stevenson unqualified for the office of governor. Correct
(B) No candidate without political experience has ever been elected governor of a state.OOS
(C) Mr. Janeck believes that political leadership and business leadership are closely analogous.Mr. Janeck doesn't compare both domains.
(D) A career spent in the pursuit of profit can be an impediment to one’s ability to run a state government fairly.We don't know reasoning behind people's preference.
(E) Voters generally overestimate the value of political experience when selecting a candidateWe don't know whether voter's underestimate or overestimate the value of political experience. No info provided to make such claim.
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 21:26
(E) Voters generally overestimate the value of political experience when selecting a candidate.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Sauder '21
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 22:02
A??

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]GMAT Club Forum mobile app[/url]
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 23:35
how can answer be A?... S counter J by mentioning experience.. it should be E
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Sauder '21
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 23:49
Your understanding is wrong! The question states that in what way has siu interpreted Jan!

Meaning what did she understand from Jan' comment!

Jan says that only few will vote for Stevenson because he has no political experience. Thereby stating that he is unqualified for office

B,C,D,E are OOS

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]GMAT Club Forum mobile app[/url]
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2018, 17:20
Hello,

it seems that Mr. Janeck's argument focuses only on why voters wouldn't vote for Stevenson - because they're not willing to elect someone with no political experience.

However, Ms. Siuzdak response shows that she interprets his comments as if he himself believed that Stevenson was unqualified, not that the voters weren't willing to elect him. She says "you're wrong" followed by an explanation of why he's wrong.

So the key to this question is figuring out what Janeck or anyone might have said to elicit that response. Choice A becomes the clear answer. That seems like the response she would give to someone that thought Stevenson was unqualified. In fact, whatever Janeck actually says about Stevenson here isn't really that important...if you don't even think much about what Janeck says, the answer becomes clearer.
Re: Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election &nbs [#permalink] 19 Jan 2018, 17:20

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 37 posts ] 

Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap