GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Apr 2019, 23:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Mr. Jones has eight children of different ages. On a family trip his

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
Mr. Jones has eight children of different ages. On a family trip his  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 05:52
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

41% (02:21) correct 59% (02:51) wrong based on 32 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Mr. Jones has eight children of different ages. On a family trip his oldest child, who is 9, spots a license plate with a 4-digit number in which each of two digits appears two times. "Look, daddy!" she exclaims. "That number is evenly divisible by the age of each of us kids!" "That's right," replies Mr. Jones, "and the last two digits just happen to be my age." Which of the following is not the age of one of Mr. Jones's children?

(A) 4
(B) 5
(C) 6
(D) 7
(E) 8

B
Mr. Jones has eight children of different ages. On a family trip his  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2019, 14:15
Bunuel wrote:
Mr. Jones has eight children of different ages. On a family trip his oldest child, who is 9, spots a license plate with a 4-digit number in which each of two digits appears two times. "Look, daddy!" she exclaims. "That number is evenly divisible by the age of each of us kids!" "That's right," replies Mr. Jones, "and the last two digits just happen to be my age." Which of the following is not the age of one of Mr. Jones's children?

(A) 4
(B) 5
(C) 6
(D) 7
(E) 8

We can immediately eliminate A and C.
A: In this case we'd have the age 8 which is a multiple of 4.
C: In this case we'd have the ages 2 and 3 so the 4-digit number must be divisible by 6.

B, D and E are left. The 4-digit number must be a multiple of one of the below LCMs:
\(LCM : 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,9 = 1260\)
\(LCM : 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,9 = 360\)
\(LCM : 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9 = 504\) --> \(504 * 11 = 5544\)

We only get a multiple satisfying the conditions without the 5 so Answer: B.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: Mr. Jones has eight children of different ages. On a family trip his  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2019, 08:11
Last two digits happen to be my age,says the oldest child whose age is 9. Last two digits are 9. Divisibility rule of 5. Units digit should be 5 or 0. Hence number not divisible by 5. Ans B

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Mr. Jones has eight children of different ages. On a family trip his   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2019, 08:11

Mr. Jones has eight children of different ages. On a family trip his

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap