Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618548 [43]
Given Kudos: 81561
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [12]
Given Kudos: 500
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [0]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Re: Mr. Mead: Turning this subway system over to private ownership will su [#permalink]
Ans : D

Pre thinking : Gallis is giving an alternate reason for us to evaluate the conclusion made by Maed

Leaves us with option D and E

Gallis doesn’t say anything private ownership will help or not - she simply states the cause of a particular effect . Eliminate E. conclusion of Maed could be true or false

D in line with pre thinking

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
WE:Operations (Retail)
Send PM
Re: Mr. Mead: Turning this subway system over to private ownership will su [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Mr. Mead: Turning this subway system over to private ownership will surely not make it financially viable. After all, the reason the system is now government-owned is precisely that in 1979 its original private owners went bankrupt operating it.

Ms. Gallis: But remember that government price controls were keeping fares unreasonably low in the 1970’s.

Of the following, the best assessment of the logical role played by Ms. Gallis’ response is that her response
CR16896

D stands out as the winner,

A. offers additional evidence for the correctness of Mr. Mead’s conclusion - It is a 180

B. states one of Mr. Mead’s tacit assumptions- assumptions?

C. contradicts Mr. Mead’s factual claims about the system’s original owners- no contradiction whatsoever

D. identifies a weakness in the evidence Mr. Mead uses as a basis for his conclusion- Bingo

E. implies that Mr. Mead’s conclusion is correct, but not for the reasons Mr. Mead gives- Mr. Mead’s conclusion is Turning this subway system over to private ownership will surely not make it financially viable hence the option is incorrect
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [2]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 580 Q42 V27
Send PM
Kudos
Ans: D

D. identifies a weakness in the evidence Mr. Mead uses as a basis for his conclusion

Mr. Mead cites that in 1979 its original private owners went bankrupt operating the subway.
Ms. Gallis in response says that it went bankrupt as govt controlled the price and made it very low back than.
So Ms. Gallis find an weakness in the Mr Mead's statement.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
Unable to narrow down to OA. Please help.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 341 [2]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Kudos
A. offers additional evidence for the correctness of Mr. Mead’s conclusion - Ms Gallis does not agree with Mr Mead's reasoning.

B. states one of Mr. Mead’s tacit assumptions
- Ms Gallis' statement is not an assumption used by Mr. Mead.

C. contradicts Mr. Mead’s factual claims about the system’s original owners
- Ms Gallis agrees with Mr Mead on the ownership of the subway system.

D. identifies a weakness in the evidence Mr. Mead uses as a basis for his conclusion - Ms Gillis' statement provides another reason why private ownership of the subway system had to file for bankruptcy; her statement challenges Mr Mead's reasoning that 'private owners' themselves were to blame for the bankruptcy filed by them. Hence, (D) weakens the evidence used by Mr Mead. Therefore, (D) is the right answer choice.

E. implies that Mr. Mead’s conclusion is correct, but not for the reasons Mr. Mead gives
- She does not agree with Mr Mead's conclusion.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Hi AndrewN sir

I have a general query.

I read the explanation and found I did mistake in understanding the meaning of correctness

While solving question: I read it as Mr. G CORRECTED Mr. M conclusion
But actual meaning of correctness: confirming the conclusion

Usually I drive the meaning from making sentence in my memory (Example: kindly correct me , oh ok correctness so he is correcting his conclusion? Yes , A seems perfect . When read D then fight between A vs D. Finally went with A)

My query: the change in meaning makes A as good option or wrong option. How can we avoid such mistakes.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
mSKR wrote:
Hi AndrewN sir

I have a general query.

I read the explanation and found I did mistake in understanding the meaning of correctness

While solving question: I read it as Mr. G CORRECTED Mr. M conclusion
But actual meaning of correctness: confirming the conclusion

Usually I drive the meaning from making sentence in my memory (Example: kindly correct me , oh ok correctness so he is correcting his conclusion? Yes , A seems perfect . When read D then fight between A vs D. Finally went with A)

My query: the change in meaning makes A as good option or wrong option. How can we avoid such mistakes.

Hello, mSKR. I would say there is another issue besides simply not knowing the definition of a crucial word. (I think you would understand correctness the next time you saw it.) In your interpretation of (A), you seem to have missed other contextual clues that would have revealed the meaning of the word in question. Consider:

offers additional evidence for ______

We get two clues that together point to support more than disagreement—additional + for. If you offer evidence that runs contrary to other evidence, you would say that you offered evidence against something, not for something, particularly after the word additional. In other words, (A) makes it clear that Ms. Gallis was apparently providing further support FOR the view of Mr. Mead, and that begs the question, why would she start her response with but?

When you adopt a meaning-based approach, you have to make sure you are taking in more than just the information you want to see. Transition words (e.g., however, thus), idioms, and conjunctions work together in passages and answer choices to create a logical map.

I hope that helps with your query. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Understanding the argument -
Mr. Mead: Turning this subway system over to private ownership will surely not make it financially viable. - Conclusion.
After all, the reason the system is now government-owned is precisely that in 1979 its original private owners went bankrupt operating it. - Fact. Supporting premise.

Ms. Gallis: But remember that government price controls were keeping fares unreasonably low in the 1970’s. - Fact. Qualifies the supporting premise.

Option Elimination - Method of reasoning

A. offers additional evidence for the correctness of Mr. Mead’s conclusion - so she doesn't support his conclusion. This is the opposite of what we need.

B. states one of Mr. Mead’s tacit assumptions - No. An assumption is a missing premise or minimum condition that will support the conclusion, but this weakens the force of the conclusion. Again, this is the opposite of what we need.

C. contradicts Mr. Mead’s factual claims about the system’s original owners - out of scope.

D. identifies a weakness in the evidence Mr. Mead uses as a basis for his conclusion - ok.

E. implies that Mr. Mead’s conclusion is correct, but not for the reasons Mr. Mead gives - she doesn't support his conclusion.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts