Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [15]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: MS Finance Profile Evaluations [Master Thread]: Post all Profiles Here [#permalink]
Expert Reply
DenizDzhan wrote:
Hello everyone!
Could You please take a look at my profile as well :)

Background and nationality: I am 23, female, kyrgyz.
Undergrad Information: I graduated from American University in Central Asia with Bachelors in Economics (one of my biggest concerns is that my university is not recognized globally).
GMAT: 700
GPA: 3.77
Work experience and leadership: 2.4 years in Audit Department, KPMG Kazakhstan and Central Asia (I currently work there). Summer internship in local USAID Economic Development Office. During my Senior year in college I had part-time work as an administrative assistant at US Embassy.
Community and others: Mostly small charity clubs :? Unfortunately due to several family issues during my high-school and undergraduate studies I didn't have free time for social activities.
I speak Russian and English.
Post Master goals: I would like to work as financial analyst/join a consulting company.

I'm not sure if I can consider myself a competitive applicant considering ranking of my undergraduate college. I am also very confused about rankings of colleges that I have chances to get into.

What do you think are my chances of getting in each of these: RSM, WHU Otto Beishem, St Gallen? Should I focus at lower ranking colleges or look for others in this range?

Thank you a lot!!!

Hey DenizDzhan,

First and foremost, since you are from Kyrgyzstan, it adds an ethnicity factor to your profile which can further add a lot of diversity to the cohort and in turn work in your favor as schools are very particular about breeding diversity in their cohort. Additionally, you come across as an academically strong candidate owing to your GPA of 3.77 that highlights your academic prowess. Furthermore, you have mentioned that you have scored a 700 in your GMAT exam which is pretty competitive when compared to your target schools.

In regards to your query, you can tackle the lack of a renowned brand name by diverting attention towards other aspects of your profile such as projects, internships, extra-curricular activities, certifications, and GMAT scores.

Talking about your extracurricular activities, it is often one of the most important factors in a profile as it showcases a holistically developed profile. However, given your undergrad circumstances, while you highlight the social work you’d taken up, be sure to shed light on the other endeavours you had your plate full with. Narrow your experiences down to showcase varied skills in your profile to stand at par with the expectations of the school. Moreover, you can also take up a few certifications or courses related to the field of finance like CFA, FRM. All in all, varied skills can contribute towards you being a great future leader which would automatically impress the adcoms.

Now coming on to your work experience, 2.5 years with a brand like KPMG certainly plays a part in bolstering your profile. While you stand at par with the competition faced, you ought to differentiate yourself by highlighting the major projects of your work and how these experiences helped develop and further groomed your skills and knowledge

Given your school choices, St. Gallen comes under the dream category, which means that you have around 40% of acceptance in this school. Meanwhile, RSM, WHU Otto Beishem falls under the upper competitive category, which means they have an acceptance rate of 60%. To boost your chances of acceptance, I’d suggest you lay emphasis on your admission application as a strong application holds 30% of weightage in the entire admission process and is also the way through which you can highlight your strengths and give apt justifications for your weaknesses to smooth over any flaws in your profile.

Moreover, to hedge your bets wisely, here are some school suggestions that you can be looking at:

DREAM: HEC Paris, LBS, LSE, INSEAD

COMPETITIVE: ESSEC, ESCP, IE

Lastly, since it seems like you are still in the early stages of your application, you must be looking for some professional help to guide you through the application process of top business schools in the world. Hence, I’d suggest you to BOOK A FREE CONSULTATION CALL with our expert consultants who would clear any doubts you may have regarding the admission process and would help you chalk out a winning strategy that would definitely get you an admit in your dream school.

Link is provided below:

https://www.mim-essay.com/book-an-appointment-form/

Hope this helped!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: MS Finance Profile Evaluations [Master Thread]: Post all Profiles Here [#permalink]
Hi,

Would someone mind reviewing my profile and providing some guidance?

- Female, 24 yo, British / Swiss
- First Class Honours in Economics from top 10 UK uni
- CFA Level 1 completed - Passed in top 10% of candidates
- Two years front office experience in leading UK bank, specifically DCM (will have three by matriculation)
- Racing to get the GMAT done with test date January 11th. Worried about my chances of getting accepted to schools in the third round. Current practice scores around 730
- Applied to Cambridge without GMAT and have been offered an interview, LSE waiting list. Still want to apply to the top European names, Oxford and Imperial once I have my GMAT

I am interested in people's opinions on whether i should apply to Imperial without the GMAT just to be in earlier.

Thanks
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
purveshshende31 wrote:
Hello everyone!! This is my first post on this forum. So, please excuse me for any mistakes or errors.
I have a great interest in the Finance field though my background does not tell this story. I also looked for many programs that interest me, but not sure about my chances for these programs.
Any help in recommendations for Business Schools and profile evaluation based on my score, for MS in Finance from US, would be appreciated.

My Profile:

Nationality: Indian

My GRE Score: 305 (166Q and 139V); AWA score yet to come

Under-Graduation: BE Computer Engineering (Pune University)

GPA: 3.4/4.0

Work Experience: 13 months (Group IT team, as Technical Analyst and SAP Basis team)

Extra-Curricular:
Captain of the college cricket team in Engineering
Goalkeeper of Handball
Event Coordinator in college events
Part of Art Circle team in college

No. of Research Papers: 2 (One in IEEE and second in IJCA both international)

I have a couple of questions in my mind. Please help.
1) Is my GRE score enough to get admission into a decent business school or should I retake the exam?
2) Which one is preferable TOEFL or IELTS?

Please let me know which programs would be best suitable based on my profile and my score.

Thanks and regards!

Hey purveshshende31,

To commence your profile evaluation, I would say that your academic background is quite strong. Your GPA of 3.4 not only displays your academic prowess but also opens a lot of opportunities and doors to top business schools for you. Additionally, the research papers published by you not only showcase your depth of knowledge in the domain but also highlights your academic achievements and calibre. Considering your aspiration for M.Fin, your Quant score in GRE is impressive but alongside this, the overall score is also taken into consideration by top schools. Hence, I would suggest you to go for a retake, and given the fact that you want to target US schools, I’d recommend aiming for a score of at least 320 (with quant score 165+).

Further, on the note of extracurriculars, you must be cognizant of the fact that schools seek applicants having a holistic profile. Herein, you have a fair share of extra-curricular activities that you can highlight in your profile. Being an event coordinator showcases your leadership skills, being a part of the Art Circle team shows your creative side, and your sports contributions portray your sportsman spirit. In addition to it, you can take up some volunteering activities or join a business/ finance club. You can also draw attention to other financial aspects of your profile by taking up certifications like CFA, FRM, and some online courses from sites like Udemy, EDX, and Coursera to depict your strong inclination towards finance.

Moving on to your professional front, your experience of 13 months is decent however it is mainly technical based, a factor that may pose as a hindrance in your application for a finance program. That said, you ought to focus on highlighting relevant finance experiences throughout your journey to link your past experiences with your aspirations.

Another major factor that is missing throughout your profile is the lack of huge brand names. The brand name plays a major role in an application as you’d be competing with applicants from the top schools and big4 companies. So to overshadow these loopholes, you can talk about the kind of projects you have undertaken, the impact you created, and your career progression with major learning takeaways that would definitely showcase the quality of your work and establish you as no less than a big4 candidate.

As you are willing to target schools in the US for the MFin programme, here are some suggestions that you can take into consideration:

DREAM: Duke, Michigan, UVA
COMPETITIVE: Babson, UT Dallas, University of Buffalo
SAFE: Northeastern, Boston

Alternatively, you can also be looking at a master's in management where you can make a better pitch in your applications. Moreover, after MIM you have all sorts of career opportunities available for you (including finance).

That said, for MIM these are some school that you can look forward to:

DREAM: Duke, Cornell, Michigan
COMPETITIVE: Babson, Georgetown, UTD
SAFE: Hult, Thunderbird, George Mason

Lastly, no matter what schools or programs you are targeting, you need to back your profile with a very strong application. The application acts as the window through which the admission committee can peer into your skills calibre and personality. But simultaneously, it is also the way through which you can highlight your strengths and give apt justifications for your weaknesses to smooth over any flaws in your profile. Moreover, a strong application sets you apart from the rest of the competition and hence it is imperative that you use this tool in your arsenal to the best of your advantage.

Since the major chances of your admission depend on the quality of your application, you might want to seek professional help to secure your spot in your target schools. You can check our, All-in-One Solution, to gain insights into how we can assist in creating a strong application. A good GMAT coupled with strong essays and an early application should help you get into your target schools.

Link for the ALL-IN-ONE solutions-

https://www.mim-essay.com/mim-all-in-one

Hope this helped!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mayjin wrote:
Hi there! Below is my profile. Please give me any feedback and it will be helpful to me a lot

1. Background and nationality
- Korean female

2. Undergrad Information
- One of the top 10 university in Korea, double major in business and economics
- GPA 3.8/4.3 (Higher 2:1 I guess)
- GPA for finance is 4.3/4.3, for accounting 4.2/4.3

3. GMAT/GRE
- 660 (Q49/V31)..This score is fron my second exam. The first was 640. Since I'm considering to apply within December, I don't think I will take GMAT again.

4. Work experience and leadership
- Korean CPA, CFA level 1
- 4 years in big4 (including cross-border M&A team)
- currently in the investment team in biotech
- 4.5 years in total. My entire career has been accounting and finance

5. Community and others
- nothing for this

6. Post Master goals
- working at London IB or accounting Big4

7. Anything else?
- goal: LSE MiF or Finance&accounting / imperial MiF
- IELTs: 7 overall
- expecting an academic reference from professor who is a council member of IAAER (International Association for Accounting Education and Research)
- I think my problems are low GMAT exam and lack of international exposure. I’ve been working in cross-border field, but still I found that there are so many global applicants here who actually lived and experienced various countries

Posted from my mobile device

Hey Mayjin,

Academically, your undergraduate GPA with a perfect 4.3 is pretty impressive and showcases your academic prowess in the field. Furthermore, your undergraduate degree being in the field of finance supplemented by your double major in business and economics adds further weight to your profile, since MiF is a specialized masters program and most schools prefer applicants with a relevant academic background or work experience in finance.

Coming to your GMAT score, your overall score of 660 from your second attempt is a bit on the lower end but your score of 49 in the Quants section acts as a testament to your analytical abilities, which is a crucial requirement for a MiF degree. For the schools that you are targeting like LSE and Imperial, the average is around 680. However, if a retake is not feasible, as GMAT holds only 20% of a weightage on your chances of getting accepted, this can be countered by shining on other financial aspects of your profile that can further bolster your chance of acceptance into these schools.

As far as your work experience is concerned, you have a big brand on your CV as well as an extensive experience of 4.5 years in varied roles in the field of finance which definitely acts in your favour, since MiF is a specialized masters and AdComs are looking for applicants with relevant experience in the field of finance. Do note that you ought to explain and highlight the major projects of your work and how these experiences helped to develop and further groom your skills and knowledge. To further strengthen and differentiate your profile, highlight how you have gone beyond your role, any initiatives you took and any kind of impact created to establish a connection with your goals and thus portray the knowledge gained from these experiences.

As the top B schools are always looking for candidates who are constantly on the path of upskilling themselves, your certifications like CFA and CPA would prove to be a major value addition to your profile.

Since you lack any sort of voluntary participation in extracurriculars, I’d like to let you know that Extracurricular participation plays an important role in strengthening your application as B-schools are on the hunt for all-rounder profiles. Hence, it is essential for you to build the relevant proficiencies in this area to show that you strive on your overall development.

Coming to the schools that you are targeting, LSE falls in the dream category while Imperial falls in the upper-competitive category. Thus speaking of your chances of getting accepted, you stand around 50% for LSE while a chance acceptance of around 60% for Imperial. In order to further improve your chances, you would need to ensure that you have a very strong application (consisting of - Essays, LORs, and Resume) to back your profile. You need to showcase your journey, what makes you different from your peers, and how you are a great value addition to the school. A strong application increases your chances of acceptance by up to 30%!

Moreover, when applying abroad, in order to hedge your bets wisely, it is always better to target a good mix of 6-7 schools in the dream, competitive, and safe category. Having said that, if you want to know more about other top B-schools that you can be targeting, you can take up a FREE Profile Evaluation that will give you more accurate and personalized suggestions based on your inputs.

Click on the link below to avail your free evaluation:

https://www.mim-essay.com/profile-evaluation

Here, you can also Book a Free consulting session with one of our consultants who through their expertise can gauge the competitiveness of your profile and help you chalk out a winning strategy to bag an admit from your target schools and programs.

Hope this helped!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey all. I am applying for Master of Finance/Financial Engineering for Fall 2021, and recently I just got really frustrated with application. I feel like I am not good enough to go into any top programs. Just want to hear some second opinions here.

Background and nationality
- Chinese male

Undergrad Info
- Top 30 US school economics major, minor in math and cs
- GPA 3.75/4.0, Major GPA: 3.85/4.0

GMAT
- 750 (Q50/V40). only took GMAT once

Work experience and leadership
- Big 4 Summer Intern
- A boutique IB in US Spring Intern
- Venture capital Summer Intern

Community and others
- student ambassador for a semester

Post Master goals
- Not sure yet

Target Master programs
- Oxford MFE, LBS MFA, LSE MFin, Toronto MFE, McGill MFin, Princeton MFin, MIT MFin, Columbia MFE/Math in Finance, Yale Silver Scholar, Baruch MFE, ETH Zurich MQF

Would prefer any advice on application in general or analysis about the programs I choose here. Other suggestions on programs to apply to are also welcome
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
aledetti98 wrote:
Hi, I would really appreciate if you could evaluate my profile:

22 years old from Italy
Bachelor's Degree in Economics and Finance at Bocconi University
GPA: 95/110 (3.3/4)
GMAT: 710 (Q50, V34)

Work Experience
3-months internship at a local medium-size company (total revenue of more than €100 million), with a role regarding finance and administration. Worked closely with the CFO of the company.

Targets:
St. Gallen-Master Banking and Finance (MBF)
Nova Lisboa BS-Master Finance
HEC Paris-Master International Finance
ESSEC BS-Master Finance (MIF)
ESCP BS-Master Finance
Skema BS-Master Finance

Awards
National finalist of International Games of Math at Bocconi University for two times (2011,2012) after winning regional selection.

Language skills
Italian: native
English: fluent. Certification level C1 (IELTS:7.5/9)
Spanish: intermediate. Certification level B1

IT skills
ECDL certification for Microsoft Office (excellent level)
Certification of "Data analysis and reporting with Excel" (Bocconi University)
Python: intermediate level after Bocconi course

Other information
Certification "Private Equity and Venture Capital" after the course authoried by Bocconi University and offered by Coursera.
Virtual Internship (open-access) with BCG: strategy consulting program
Certification "Bloomberg Market Concepts"
School tutor during the year 2016

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Hey aledetti98!

I would like to start off by saying that you have a pretty competitive profile.

To commence your profile evaluation, I would say that your academic background is quite strong. Your GPA of 3.34 not only displays your academic prowess but also opens a lot of opportunities and doors to top business schools for you. The brand name of Bocconi further aids in strengthening your profile as B-schools across the world tend to favor candidates from top schools of each country.

Your academic background coupled with your excellent GMAT scores definitely showcases your high academic potential. Moreover, achieving 50 in your Quants sections vouches for the worthiness of your candidature in the Mfin Programmes.

Coming on to your work experience, you have 3 months of relevant work experience in the field of finance, a trait well appreciated by the admissions committee. However, you should be mindful of the fact that you’d be competing with applicants from the top schools and big4 companies. Hence, to negate the lack of big brand names, talking about the kind of projects you have undertaken, the impact you created, and your career progression with major learning takeaways would definitely showcase the quality of your work and establish you as no less than a big4 candidate.

Further, on the note of extracurriculars, you must be cognizant of the fact that schools seek applicants having a holistic profile. It is great to see that you have several certifications in your profile which definitely showcase your constant desire to upskill yourself and also your proactive attitude. However, to build a strong profile in all aspects, I would suggest you to take up some volunteering activities or join a business/ finance club. Extracurriculars are a great way to showcase your skills like leadership, networking, communication skills, etc. Thus, you must get your hands on some extracurricular engagements/initiatives to strengthen your profile.

Given your school choices, St. Gallen and HEC Paris fall under the dream category which means that they have an acceptance rate of only 8-12%, thus translating your chances of acceptance to around 30-40%. ESSEC, NOVA and ESCP fall under the competitive category which means your chances of acceptance to their program is 60-70% while skema is a safe school according to your profile and hence you have 80-90% chance of acceptance to its MFin Program.

Another aspect that I would like to draw your attention towards is the importance of the application. A strong application holds 30% of weightage in the entire admission process and as you would be competing with other candidates with similar strong profiles, it becomes imperative that you craft an application that successfully highlights not only your calibre but also your potential to add value to the school. Hence, to boost your chances of acceptance by 3x and ensure you get an admit from your dream school, focusing on the application is an imperative step.

Lastly, I’d suggest you to apply to your target schools in the upcoming Round 2 so as to avail the early bird advantage. With the round 2 deadlines fast approaching, you might want to seek professional help to secure your spot in your target schools. You can check our, All-in-One Solution, to gain insights into how we can assist in creating a strong application. A strong profile coupled with strong essays and an early application should help you get into your target schools.

Link for the ALL-IN-ONE solutions-

Hope this helped!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
GreenPot123 wrote:
Hi,

Would someone mind reviewing my profile and providing some guidance?

- Female, 24 yo, British / Swiss
- First Class Honours in Economics from top 10 UK uni
- CFA Level 1 completed - Passed in top 10% of candidates
- Two years front office experience in leading UK bank, specifically DCM (will have three by matriculation)
- Racing to get the GMAT done with test date January 11th. Worried about my chances of getting accepted to schools in the third round. Current practice scores around 730
- Applied to Cambridge without GMAT and have been offered an interview, LSE waiting list. Still want to apply to the top European names, Oxford and Imperial once I have my GMAT

I am interested in people's opinions on whether i should apply to Imperial without the GMAT just to be in earlier.

Thanks

Hi GreenPot123,

First and foremost, you have an impressive academic background as evident from your first class honours in economics from the top10 UK universities which is again an added bonus to your profile since these B-schools are notorious for picking applicants from the top 10 universities of their significant country. Additionally, you have also cleared your CFA level 1 which shows your passion, skills and knowledge in the field of finance.

Coming to your work experience, you have more than 2 years of work experience in a leading UK bank which is decent enough. While these experiences are definitely praiseworthy, you will still be facing a lot of competition from applicants who have worked in big four companies like KPMG, EY, DELOITTE and PWC. However, to set yourself at par with your competitors, you can focus on highlighting the kind of projects you handled, the value you added to these projects, the skills you gained and the major takeaways. All things considered, one thing that will definitely work in your favour and act as a differentiating factor is the simple fact that you are already building a lucrative career in your targeted niche finance.

Here you have not mentioned any details regarding your extracurricular activities which holds equal importance as schools are looking for a holistically developed profile. When it comes to depicting your extracurricular activities, you should always focus on highlighting how you went above and beyond in your endeavours and how you will be a great value addition to the school. To give you a brief idea of how to go about with this, you can maybe talk about the clubs and associations you were involved in during your undergrad, the teams you led and most importantly your volunteering activities along with NGOs. This way you would be able to showcase your constant learning curve which is an important aspect valued by any b-school.

Now coming to your dilemma of whether you should apply to Imperial without GMAT, I would suggest you should immediately apply at Imperial since it doesn't require a GMAT score submission. However, since it comes under a dream category(where your chances of acceptance is 40-50%), your application would play a huge role in increasing your chances of getting accepted as it would highlight your profile USP’s and overshadow any particular weaknesses in your profile. On the other hand, as you are also leaning towards Oxford which also comes under the dream category, you need to aim for at least a 720+ in your GMAT in order to set yourself comfortable amidst the applicant pool.

That said, in addition to this, you should always hedge your bets wisely by targeting a good mix of dream, competitive and safe schools. If you wish to gain in depth insights into the schools you should be targeting according to your profile, you can take up our Free Profile Evaluation service, the link of which is given below:

https://www.mim-essay.com/profile-evaluation

Here, you can also Book a Free consulting session with one of our consultants who through their expertise can gauge the competitiveness of your profile and help you plan a winning strategy to bag an admit from your target schools.

Hope this helped!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MS Finance Profile Evaluations [Master Thread]: Post all Profiles Here [#permalink]
Hi All, i am new to the forum so please excuse me for any mistakes. I want to evaluate my prospects of joining a MS in Finance Program. My background is as follows:

Nationality: Indian.
Educational Background:
1. BTech (Civil) - IIT Varanasi - CGPA 8.0/10 (One of the Top Institutions in India for Engineering)
2. Master in Business Administration - IIT Kharagpur - CGPA - 8.32/10 (Well Reputed Institution)
3. GRE Score: 310
4. CFA - L1 Cleared and L2 Aspirant
5. Banking Certification from Indian Institute of Banking and Finance.

Work Experience: I have a total work experience of 9 years and 6 of those supporting US Asset Managers as a Request for Proposal (RFP) Specialist (RFP Specialists are involved in Financial Tendering) as part of the India extension of the Asset Manager's own RFP Teams. During these 6 years I have had a chance to work on a wide range of traditional equity and fixed income strategies and also new investment trends like ESG in drafting and coordinating responses to both strategy related and general operational questions for tendering and selection process. I have also lead/work closely in leading these RFP teams. I now want to pursue a MS Fin program to specialise in these strategies within the RFP domain. Out of these 9 years I have also spent close to 2 years working with an India IT major in a consulting role for their proprietary Banking Platform used widely across India and world.

It would be very helpful if you could help me with the suitability of my profile and what schools and programs I can target. Please let me know incase any more details will be required.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Hi all,
Background and nationality: Azerbaijani male, 21 yo
Undergrad Information: BS Economics (thought in English), GPA apr.4
GMAT: 710 (Q50, V35)
IELTS: 8
Work experience and leadership: year of internship as an internal auditor at a TNC, newly started a new jab at Big4
Post Master goals: Work in finance sector
Anything else: aim to learn at least basics of some programming language by the start of studies
Please give me advice as to what universities are ambitious, likely, and safe for me. What's more important than admission is financing tho. Please give your best piece of advice on financing options such as scholarships and assistantships (e.g in whatuniversites I have better chance for full financing)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
New user here, please don’t mind if I missed any guidelines.

Nationality: Indian
Undergrad Information: One of the top five undergrad unis with slightly less than average GPA in major degree and average GPA in finance minor degree.
GMAT: 750
Work experience: Two and half years.
Work exposure: Well above an average back office analyst role at a BB. Responsible for a back office department in the absence of offshore counterpart for an AUM ~ billion dollars.
Community and others: led and participated in multiple CSR activities throughout work ex and undergrad.
Post Master goals: PE, HF and other alternative investment roles. Would not want to venture into front desk for BB
Anything else: European entity MD level LORs are assured

Would appreciate if you could help me with:
1. Dream colleges & Safe colleges
2. Serious ‘20 fall applications vs serious ‘21 fall applications considering post master goals.
3. US vs European (with an inclination towards LBS) college pro and cons
4. Chances of a good scholarship considering the delayed application.

Have a good year ahead. Many thanks in advance.

SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
MSFinAspirant wrote:
Hi All, i am new to the forum so please excuse me for any mistakes. I want to evaluate my prospects of joining a MS in Finance Program. My background is as follows:

Nationality: Indian.
Educational Background:
1. BTech (Civil) - IIT Varanasi - CGPA 8.0/10 (One of the Top Institutions in India for Engineering)
2. Master in Business Administration - IIT Kharagpur - CGPA - 8.32/10 (Well Reputed Institution)
3. GRE Score: 310
4. CFA - L1 Cleared and L2 Aspirant
5. Banking Certification from Indian Institute of Banking and Finance.

Work Experience: I have a total work experience of 9 years and 6 of those supporting US Asset Managers as a Request for Proposal (RFP) Specialist (RFP Specialists are involved in Financial Tendering) as part of the India extension of the Asset Manager's own RFP Teams. During these 6 years I have had a chance to work on a wide range of traditional equity and fixed income strategies and also new investment trends like ESG in drafting and coordinating responses to both strategy related and general operational questions for tendering and selection process. I have also lead/work closely in leading these RFP teams. I now want to pursue a MS Fin program to specialise in these strategies within the RFP domain. Out of these 9 years I have also spent close to 2 years working with an India IT major in a consulting role for their proprietary Banking Platform used widely across India and world.

It would be very helpful if you could help me with the suitability of my profile and what schools and programs I can target. Please let me know incase any more details will be required.

Hey MSFinAspirant!

Commencing your profile evaluation with your academic background, having a GPA of 8.32 in your MBA program and 8.0 in your undergrad goes on to showcase your strong academic prowess. Moreover, having a big brand name such as IIT further embellishes your profile as top B-schools tend to pick out students from the top 10 colleges of each country.

Even though your GPA vouches for your academic excellence, your GRE score however tends to fall on the shorter end. For a specialized master’s program such as MFin, you need to score at least 320+ in your GRE with a minimum of 165+ in the quant section. So, a retake is what I would recommend.

Coming on to your work experience, you have 9+ years of work experience in the field of finance. With such extensive experience in the domain, I would say that you possess quality work experience with a plethora of key projects and achievements to vouch for your excellence in the domain. However, one important factor that is missing here is the mention of huge brand names. The brand name definitely plays a major role in an application as you’d be competing with applicants from the top schools and big4 companies. To negate the lack of big brand names, talking about the kind of projects you have undertaken, the impact you created and your career progression with major learning takeaways would definitely showcase the quality of your work and establish you as no less than a big4 candidate.

Further, on the note of extracurriculars, you must be cognizant of the fact that schools seek applicants with a holistic profile. Hence, accounting for the same, your endeavour to clear CFA level 1 as well as gaining a banking certification from IIBF displays your proactive nature and your will to constantly upskill yourself. However, B schools tend to favour applicants with well-rounded profiles in all aspects. Therefore, to further build upon the same, you can also take up some volunteering activity with a local NGO or with your company’s CSR initiative to highlight your community involvement and your calibre to create a positive impact on society through your skills.

As you haven’t mentioned any preferences based on country, Here’s a generic list of schools you can target based on your profile and also based on the fact that you are up for a GRE retake.
Dream: NYU, Vanderbilt, Berkeley
Competitive: UC San Diego, UT Dallas, ESSEC, ESCP.

Another aspect that you should be acquainted with while applying to B-schools is the importance of a strong application. Since you wish to apply to a highly competitive program such as MFin, you’d be facing competition from a highly saturated and holistically developed competitor pool. Hence, a strong application would not only allow you to highlight your strength but also distinguish you from other applicants.

Therefore, in lieu of that, I would recommend you to check out our flagship ALL-IN-ONE service, which has helped 3500+ applicants to get into their dream schools. As you are still in the early process of your application, it would provide you with end-to-end consulting and unlimited edits on your application documents. Not only that, you’d be connected with B-school alumni who’d be helping you directly with your application process, right from shortlisting the right schools to submitting the application to the school.

Link for the ALL-IN-ONE service:

Hope this helped!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
Rovshan16 wrote:
Hi all,
Background and nationality: Azerbaijani male, 21 yo
Undergrad Information: BS Economics (thought in English), GPA apr.4
GMAT: 710 (Q50, V35)
IELTS: 8
Work experience and leadership: year of internship as an internal auditor at a TNC, newly started a new jab at Big4
Post Master goals: Work in finance sector
Anything else: aim to learn at least basics of some programming language by the start of studies
Please give me advice as to what universities are ambitious, likely, and safe for me. What's more important than admission is financing tho. Please give your best piece of advice on financing options such as scholarships and assistantships (e.g in whatuniversites I have better chance for full financing)

Hey Rovshan16,

Academically, your undergraduate GPA of approximately 4.0 is pretty impressive and showcases your academic prowess in the field. Furthermore, your undergraduate degree in BSc Economics being closely related to the field of finance adds further weight to your profile, since MiF is a specialized masters program and most schools prefer applicants with relevant academic background or work experience in finance.

Moving on, a GMAT score of 710 is pretty competitive and would allow you to target most top B-schools in Europe. Moreover, your impressive score of 50 in the Quants section is what would strengthen your pitch for a Masters in Finance.

As far as your work experience is concerned, an internship of a year in the field of finance will definitely act in your favor, since MiF is specialized masters and AdComs are looking for applicants with relevant experience in the field of finance. The presence of a big brand in your CV is an added feather to your hat as you will be competing against a pool of applicants hailing from similar backgrounds. Here, showcasing your journey and the learnings gathered through this experience would allow you to differentiate yourself and thereby gain an upper hand with equally competent profiles with extensive work experience hailing from equally good brands.

Since the top B schools are always on the lookout for candidates who are constantly on the path of upskilling themselves, you can take certain certifications like CFA or FRM, which are core financial certifications and would also show your passion for the field of finance.

As you have not mentioned your extracurricular activities - during or after your undergrad, I’d like to let you know that Extracurricular participation plays an important role in strengthening your application as B-schools are on the hunt for all-rounder profiles. Hence, it is essential to shed some light on the endeavors you took up in any clubs, associations, sports, fest, or events you managed or volunteered in during your undergrad. Thus, you should dig deeper into this aspect and bring out varied skills in your profile in order to showcase a holistically developed profile.

Coming to the schools that you can be targeting, here is a division as per your request -

Dream Category - UC Berkley, NYU, HEC, LBS, and LSE
Competitive Category - ESSEC, ESCP, USC Marshal, Imperial, Boston, and Warrick
Safe Category - SKEMA, Grenoble, and IE

On this note, while you have a competitive profile, to increase your chances of getting admitted to these schools you would need to ensure that you have a very strong application (consisting of - Essays, LORs, and Resume) that highlights your strengths and overshadows your weaknesses in order to differentiate your profile. You need to showcase your journey, what makes you different from your peers, and how you are a great value addition to the school.

Therefore, in lieu of that, I would recommend you to check out our flagship ALL-IN-ONE service, which has helped 3500+ applicants to get into their dream schools. As you are still in the early process of your application, it would provide you with end-to-end consulting and unlimited edits on your application documents. Not only that, you’d be connected with B-school alumni who’d be helping you directly with your application process, right from shortlisting the right schools to submitting the application to the school.

Link to our All-In-One Solution-

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello and thank you in advance.

I graduated in December from the university of Louisiana at Lafayette honors program with a BSBA in business administration with a concentration in finance. Not sure if this actually helps my admissions profile but I am also Bloomberg market concepts certified and presented an investment recommendation to my university’s endowment fund committee.

GPA-3.4
GMAT-650

I have no real relevant work experience, but I do have a year of data entry as a student worker and close to a year now of being an assistant to a personal investment advisor.

I am curious about my options for a MSF. These are the schools I am currently looking at:
LSU
Tulane
Rice
Texas A&M

I would like to know my chances of getting admitted to these schools as well as other school recommendations that i could get into with my current resume.

My goal is to get into IB, but I am also open to careers in corporate finance.

I have already applied to and was denied admittance to UT.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
GRE 1: Q169 V167
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
MS Finance Profile Evaluations [Master Thread]: Post all Profiles Here [#permalink]
Delete

Originally posted by gao8e7 on 09 Jan 2021, 16:36.
Last edited by gao8e7 on 27 Dec 2021, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
Joesonnier wrote:
Hello and thank you in advance.

I graduated in December from the university of Louisiana at Lafayette honors program with a BSBA in business administration with a concentration in finance. Not sure if this actually helps my admissions profile but I am also Bloomberg market concepts certified and presented an investment recommendation to my university’s endowment fund committee.

GPA-3.4
GMAT-650

I have no real relevant work experience, but I do have a year of data entry as a student worker and close to a year now of being an assistant to a personal investment advisor.

I am curious about my options for a MSF. These are the schools I am currently looking at:
LSU
Tulane
Rice
Texas A&M

I would like to know my chances of getting admitted to these schools as well as other school recommendations that i could get into with my current resume.

My goal is to get into IB, but I am also open to careers in corporate finance.

I have already applied to and was denied admittance to UT.

Hey Joesonnier!

To commence your profile evaluation, I would say that your GPA of 3.4 not only displays your academic prowess but also opens a lot of opportunities and doors to top business schools for you.

However, your GMAT score does fall on the shorter end. Since you wish to apply to a competitive program such as MSc in Finance, I’d suggest you go for a retake and score a minimum of 670 in your GMAT with at least 50+ in the quant section.

Coming on to your work experience, you should be mindful of the fact that you’d be facing a competitor pool consisting of graduates from top B-schools and from Big4 companies. Therefore, my recommendation here would be to look for some internships and work opportunities, preferably in a big4 company in order to complement your existing work profile and stand at par with your competitors.

Further, on the note of extracurriculars, you must be cognizant of the fact that schools seek applicants having a holistic profile. Hence, accounting for the same, you should highlight endeavours taken up during your undergrad. Additionally, you can take up some volunteering activities in a local shelter or NGO, or certifications such as FRM or CFA. Extracurriculars are a great way to showcase your skills like leadership, networking, communication skills, etc and thus, it is imperative that you build on the same if you lack experiences on this end.

Given your school choices, all of these schools fall under the competitive category, which converts your chances of acceptance into the program to around 60-70%.

Even though your profile is pretty decent, there are certain highs and lows in it, which is why I’d suggest you lay emphasis on your admission application as the application acts as the window through which the admission committee can peer into your skills, calibre and your personality. But simultaneously, it will also aid in highlighting your strengths and presenting apt justifications for your weaknesses to smooth over any flaws in your profile. Moreover, a strong application boosts your chances of acceptance by 3x and hence it is imperative that you use this tool in your arsenal to the best of your advantage.

Lastly, since the major chances of your admission depend on the quality of your application, you might want to seek professional help to secure your spot in your target schools. Therefore, I would recommend you to check out our flagship ALL-IN-ONE service, which has helped 3500+ applicants get into their dream schools. As you are still in the early process of your application, it would provide you with end-to-end consulting and unlimited edits on your application documents. Not only that, you’d be connected with a top B-school alumnus who’d be helping you directly with your application process - right from shortlisting the right schools to helping you bag scholarships!

Link for the ALL-IN-ONE-Solutions:

Hope this helped!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: Darden '23
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
Hello everyone,
Will be greatful for a profile evaluation.
Indian male, 24
Gre - 169/161 Q/V

Preferred schools - top US schools
Please suggest

Undergrad 6.5/7 CGPA from a top 10 college in India as a bachelor's degree in Commerce, graduated in 2017. University of mumbai ( HR COLLEGE OF COMMERCE)

Other  certifications- US CFA ( above 90 percentile at all levels) , US CMA , US CPA , US CAIA ( Part 1 completed).

Few other investment and derivative certifications and courses along with the FMVA financial modelling course.

Worked full time during all three years of my college,
2 years as an investment analyst in a mid size firm (full time though might be considered as an internship)
1 year of articleship as an accountant in a mid tier accountancy firm ( since i did two levels of Chartered accountancy as well)

Post graduation, 
Working in one of the top accountancy firms in my state , joined as an accountant but with pretty good performance, was promoted as the team leader within a year , managing a team of 8.
Well after working there for about 2 years, i had developed indepth knowledge of the biggest industry in that state ( mining and minerals) as they were our major clients and successfully started a new wing within my firm providing consulting and advisory service to MSME ( Micro small and medium enterprise).
Was a great success, bought in a chunk of clients bringing other business with them as well. Was promoted as the manager of the firm handling the entire msme consulting division along with the 20 employees that comes with it.

With respect to the social impact,  i am very happy and proud of the projects that i have successfully completed.
During my college days, was the head of the National service scheme, ( pretty big collaboration between colleges), though head of my own college.
Helped the workers and the domestic help to get themselves organised and worked with them forming a union registered with their local police stations bringing a regulation and oversight towards any wrongful treatment and exploitation against them.

For the past 4 years, I am a registered member of the heartfulness organization,  an education and spirituality organization, teaching the younger generation about the importance and understanding of spirituality. Have organized seminars all across the country  with an median attendance of about 2000-3000 people in every one of them.
Have been part of various initiatives such as the green kanha, wherein we strive and work towards environmental protection and preservation,  planting thousands of trees and having a means for water conservation for the use of agricultural.

On a side note- i created 2 firms in the mining and mineral line, using my skills and knowledge to grab a solid opportunity, (wanted to strategically use funds, selling one business at a good profit and utilizing that to run my other firm and making it a export oriented unit, this sale freed up my investment and helped my family come out of a tough financial condition). The important part of this venture was to make it a self sustaining source of incomenfor my family and form a partnership with the right kind of people having excellent business management skills and good hold at a local level. Hopefully everything till now went as planned.

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: LBS MFA "22
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V32
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
TCMFD wrote:

!
Hi Guys, This is a Master thread for all profile evaluation requests for MS Finance applications. We do not want random profile evaluation threads everywhere on the forum. This will help people get some consolidated advice from consultants and help others learn as well.

Post your profile here if you want!

Suggested Template
  • Background and nationality
  • Undergrad Information
  • GMAT/GRE
  • Work experience and leadership
  • Community and others
  • Post Master goals
  • Anything else?

Hi , I was planning to apply for the Mif program at different business schools during the month of September last year but due to the pandemic I was pursuing a professional degree alongside and the exams got postponed.So what happened is that the dated clashed with my GMAT exam and I was forced to give my exam on a later date.Now my question : Is it better to apply now for the September 2021 intake ie,Round 3 based on my profile of apply in Round 1 of next year .

Background : Studied till grade 12th in Qatar. Did my graduation in Bangalore India
Undergrad information : Bachelor of Commerce specialized in Finance and Accountancy with CGPA 7.5 / 10 Point Scale First Class Honours
GMAT : Awaiting results ( Say 700 )
IELTS : 7/9
Work Experience : None since i was pursuing chartered accountancy degree
Community Work : Public Speking , Toastmaster events and Church event organiser
PostMaster Goals : Enter Consulting
Target Schools : HEC Paris(MiF) , LBS (MFA) and INSEAD
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Hello,

Background and nationality: 24 years old, Turkish
Undergrad Information: Koç University (top level university in Turkey) BA in Economics. GPA 2.45/4.00
GMAT: 710 Q:49 V:37
Work experience and leadership: Summer internship at an investment bank. Started my own mobile gaming company 6 months ago.
Post Master goals: Investment banking
Target schools:
Imperial
HEC
ESADE
Manchester
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  15   16   17   18   19   20   21  ...  33   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts