Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: MSc Commerce, MMS, MFin
Schools:McIntire, Fuqua, Villanova, Vandy, WashingtonU
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: MS Finance
Schools:Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, MIT, Vandy, Boston College, IE, Illinois, Villanova
 Q49  V39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: MSF/MFin Fall 2010 Applicants Get In Here [#permalink]
Kudos
Yeah, WashU's job placements seem pretty impressive. When I spoke to their advisor during my phone interview, she mentioned that a few students had received offers to work at the Federal Reserve in Washington. A position like that is something that really appeals to me, so the fact that she mentioned that really caught my eye. Vanderbilt's website isn't very specific when it comes to their placement statistics, so hopefully I'll be able to speak with somebody who can go into more detail. Since I won't be able to go to the Discover Weekend, I'm hoping to arrange a visit sometime next week so that I can meet with somebody from career services and sit in on a few classes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Yea. I think the biggest thing for me is that the job placement is better in the northeast for Washington U. Vandy has many top companies that recruit on campus (i.e. All the big names like goldman and jpmorgan,etc.). However, I remember seeing somewhere that they usually place around 7-10% of their students in the northeast. This is probably bc many of the students choose jobs in the South and Midwest (bc they are from that area). I know Vandy has a great alumni network on wall street as well. Regardless of which school I attend I think I'll be able to get a job in the northeast but I think it will be slightly easier if I attend WashU and that's the tie-breaker.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Biomedical Engineering. I had 1.5 years internship experience as an engineer during my undergrad but didn't really have a passion for the work. Figured out I was more interested in Finance a little too late to do anything abt it during undergrad. How about you? What was your major? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what is your profile like (i.e. GMAT score, work exp, etc.).

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Wow... looks like a lot of people applied to MIT this year. I heard a rumor applications went up from 175 to ~900 this year, which I don't at all doubt now.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
If anyone is considering Vanderbilt and has a question about their job placements, one of their students recently emailed me a spreadsheet of the program's recent offers/placements. If you're interested in seeing it, just PM me.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Hey,

I wouldn't worry too much about the WashU interview. It was fairly straightforward. They only asked me 5 questions. I remember 3 questions specifically. #1 Why MS Finance. #2 Why WashU. #3 What math/programming skills do you have.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
hey guys

I was in a similar boat last year so I thought should chime in. I decided ultimately on Uiuc over villanova and rochester.

130 students, humongous, mostly international. You will have even more this upcoming year

Empoloyment rate from 2009 class : 6% overall. NOT KIDDING this year only 2 out of 130 have gotten placed ( and one of them did MAcc also . )

Boston has a better reputation in Finance than UIUC. Though program is old, there is NO alumni network. Chicago is 3 hours away .

positives: breath of courses is indeed pretty good. If you are here to learn then this is a great program for someone who doesn't have a background in finance. I did ugrad in finance and felt the first half of the year was a complete waste. Some professors are very good ( esp in quant ) . Some not so much.

**** career services, dont expect much ( or anything)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
nbd52 wrote:
Hey Papagoose,

Are those employment stats for the GRADUATING class of 2009 or the INCOMING class? I thought the job placement was slowly improving (I heard at one point it was barely 50% placement for their class) but apparently I was wrong. 6% seems ridiculously bad. Can it really be that poor? Only 2 out of 130?!??? That's pretty horrendous.

6% is the stats for students who graduated last year. More people got jobs as the summer wore on obviously but they had to do it through their own networks. Job placement has not improved since I last posted as well :) though I did get a couple of interviews through campus. It should be noted that it is 2 / 75 people who have gotten employed this year as the rest of the class are planing to go back to their home country anyway.

Priya, business school wise Purdue is a LOT better than UIUC in terms of reputation. However it is a very new program and the employment stats seem sketchy . It seems very similar to the program in Uiuc. I don't think you can go wrong with Purdue, however please ask students who are in Purdue to comment on it. You can get this info from the admissions office.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Hey,

Great writeup. What's your background like? Also, what's your take on MIT Sloan for Finance? I am thinking of applying but:

a) I am an engineering major working with a top 5 Consulting firm in Management/Human Resource functions. How forthcoming would they be to take me in? Acads/Extra currics are good-excellent. (I am from India)
b) My GMAT is borderline - 690.
c) Work experience would be 15 months on matriculation
d) How is Virginia - McIntyre's MS Commerce in terms of placements?

Regards,
Ankit
Intern
Intern
Send PM
This is what one of my acquaintances said:
Quote:
I contacted one of my classmates last night and he is currently in UVA McIntire program. He said the program is very intense, all day of lecture and 4-5 hrs of readings afterwards. The faculties are good. It sounds like a very solid program

Here are my thoughts about MIT:
Pros:
    Brand name
    Prestige
Cons:
    Tuition alone is $75K. Overall cost is close to $100K
    Program was introduced in 2009 (Sloan does not have brochure for its MFin program yet)
    No placement records whatsoever
    Class of 2010 is mostly MIT undergrads

Background:
Top-10 public, 3.85 GPA, double major econ/math, aiming at GMAT > 750, 3 internships (banking, wealth management/private equity, random gig)

I'd recommend you to work on GMAT just to be save, try out Knewton or something. Unlike MBA programs, MFin programs put more weight on GMAT because most of applicants don't have solid 4-6 years of work experience.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
I am surprised that you did not consider the LBS MiF program or the Imperial college's masters in finance, while looking into Oxford and LSE.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
LBS requires work experience. As far as Imperial, I'd rather go to Vanderbilt/Washington U/Duke.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi ...
My profile:
B.E in Telecommunications
2 yrs work ex in software field. Will be 3 years considering that im applying in 2010
Have attempted CFA Level 1 (with a band 8) :(
Have a GRE score of 1370/1600 + AW 4.5 with 790/800 in Math.

I am applying for Masters in finance in Warwick & Lancaster.
I have not yet shortlisted the other colleges.
I have ruled out LSE as its too expensive. Are there any other good colleges which are reasonably priced ?
I am particularly interested in getting into Lancaster. Any idea how good this college is ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Hi my profile

BE in Electronics Eng (61%)...10th-76%...12th-70%...GMAt 670 (Q47,V35,AWA-6)

goood LOR's...
very good extra currs, associated wit an NGO...

working for Infosys for abt 2yrs now..will be almost 3 by the time i actually join....im really keen on masters in finance at LSE...since LBS requires alott of work ex n specificaly in the field of finance also...although ive been working n a bankning software project my entire time and also bin involvd wit pre sales...but still not sure...

just wantd 2 knw abt my chances and any oter univs i shud luk into..wit my choices...n profile...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
I am applying (or already have applied) to M.I.T., LSE, Vandy, Villanova, Tulane, BC, U. of Rochester, and Oxbridge.

Background:
3.9 from an SEC school with an academic scholarship. double major in mathematics and finance. GMAT: 760 (Q -51, V-41). 1 yr work experience in asset management for real estate group (yikes).

Very high on LSE Ms Finance and Economics (Research).

Should be interesting to see how the next few months play out. Good luck everyone.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: MS Finance
Schools:Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, MIT, Vandy, Boston College, IE, Illinois, Villanova
 Q49  V39
Send PM
Hello all.

I am applying to Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, MIT, Vandy, BC, and UIUC.

720 GMAT 49Q 39V; 3.75 GPA - Public School; Finance undergrad.

How are everyone's apps going?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts