Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
I did decide to enroll. The main reason is that I have been in classes with one of the MSF professors and have sat in on a few of the MSF classes. While I have seen some students who seem to fit the bill that my accounting prof described, other ones seem more poised with their knowledge. In fact, there's a broker who's in his 40s who is in the program right now. The stuff covered in that class is pretty in-depth and theoretical. Given the good facilities and professors, I'm going to stick with it.

I've also been told by the Admissions staff and this one professor that there have been a ton of good applicants this year so it seems that more individuals are interested and that the pool is more competitive.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
MASTERNC wrote:
I did decide to enroll. The main reason is that I have been in classes with one of the MSF professors and have sat in on a few of the MSF classes. While I have seen some students who seem to fit the bill that my accounting prof described, other ones seem more poised with their knowledge. In fact, there's a broker who's in his 40s who is in the program right now. The stuff covered in that class is pretty in-depth and theoretical. Given the good facilities and professors, I'm going to stick with it.

I've also been told by the Admissions staff and this one professor that there have been a ton of good applicants this year so it seems that more individuals are interested and that the pool is more competitive.

Awesome! Good luck with it and best of luck with the job search if and when you embark on it!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Wow, I just stumbled into this forum and this stuff is on the money with my experience. I just recently got accepted to Villanova too and several other prog. Villanova is actually my front runner of the school I am considering(Vanderbilt, Boston College, Tulane, UIUC).

I am actually a Finance Major at a Top Big Ten school and this is my take about from my research and advise about picking schools. My prof. (MIT PHD and work on wall street for several Years) Told me that wall street recruits regionlly because they believe east coast education cetainty and recuitment costs. He said that back in the early 90s his firm didn't even recuit people out of Unv. of Chigaco because of the uncertainty of quiality human captial.(But, i don't know the validity of that). But, I am also in the same boat with you. I am in it for the streghtening of my education in Finance. The biggest selling point about villanova the lenght of the program 12 mo vs 9 mos and the focus on graduate level quantitive and PHD level finance courses. Oppose to the other programs where the pitch is that you don't need a backround in Finance. Below is my opinion through my own research and advice from my prof. from different backround:

Villanova Pitch: Strenghten Finance Backround
Pros:
Top-Notch Placement(Big Investment Banks and Brokerage houses)
12 mo program Day Classes
Strong Professional Development Services
Prime Location
Student Manage Fund required (Hand on Experience on Investment)
Strong focus on Quant (stotastic process aka mathmatic with random variable usually used on the Black-Schole Model)

Cons:
Nationwide Reputation (In the East it is known as a close to Ivy League but everywhere its not well known)
Strict structured program (No electives they structure the program as is)
Cost of Living expensive

Vanderbilt pitch: Don't have to a finance backround we will teach you
Pros:
Top-notch Academic program
Top Faculty
Networking (taking Classes with MBAs)
Personally tailor your degree, very variable
Academic Reputation world-wide
Cost of living
Day Classes
Small size classes

Con:
Circulum is only 9 mos
In Nashville, far from money centers
Placement & Recuitment is Suspect
Competition with MBAs for Jobs
-Vanderbilt doesn't have a Undergrad Business Program Purely Grad
Student Management Fund is optional (take away from overall education)

Boston College pitch: Don't have to a finance backround we will teach you
Pros:
Excellent Placement
Top-notch Faculty
Location (Close to all money centers)
Academic reputation as a School and in Finance
Networking (classes with MBAs)
Top-Notch Placement

Con:
9 mo program
Circulum is suspect
-(Coming from a strong finance backround it seems like the courses taught are the same as the undergrad courses)
All Classes are 4:30-9:30
Competition with MBAs for Jobs
Large Classes 50+
Student Management Fund is optional
progam cost 50K for 1 year

Florida Pitch: Strenghten Finance Backround
Pros:
Nice Weather No winter
Small Classes
Great Career Devlopment
Student Management Fund
Business School is well known Nationally
Day Classes
Cost of Living

Con:
Marginal Faculty
Placement is Suspect
-They mainly place in the south
No recognition as a recruiting ground for Wall Street
Known as a Party school less known as a Academic School
Weak Network

I still havn't made my decision yet but I hope my opinion helps everyone else. If anyone wants to add in on it feel free to. But, what my profs. tell me is placement is key since each program costs between 30K-50K. It would defintely suck to have a grad degree and not be able to get a good job.

PS: Your prof is wrong. Its generally better to have a grad degree and 3 year work exp. than just simply 4 yrs exp. if your trying to get into a IVY league MBA program. But, If i go to villanova which most likely is the case. I hope we cross paths becasue it is a good decision to get a grad degree especially in 1 yr.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Your professor is partly right, but I also think its dumb to say what he did. I think a lot of people want to get an MSF because if you want to break into the tough areas of finance, having a good GPA from a good school with a impressive major wont even get you into the door. As you have found out, and so do many others.

So the whole point is to get yourself that degree and stand out. He is right that perhaps those that want to be more competitive get the degree. But its dumb to say that you shouldn't get it if you aren't there to be academically "enriched". We are all doing what we do because we have an interest in it, and/or we want to excel in the field. Being overqualified for the jobs offered might be a generalization, I think MSFs can land non-entry level jobs. Especially if you might have a year or two of work experience.

MSF isn't only for those who want to go on to become a professor, thats a stupid idea. Especially with the amount of people going for the MBA, a MSF degree might increase in value in years to come. However, I still think its a worthy degree today.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Villanova MSF [#permalink]
I was accepted into the MSF program at Villanova and plan on attending. I think it would be beneficial to get to know people and possibly network before classes actually begin.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Question [#permalink]
Spartanjoe,

Congratulations on your acceptance! There is one thing you said that I find particularly interesting - why is Villanova considered "close to Ivy League" in the East?

Your response will be appreciated!
Thank you,
G.I.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations on your acceptance into the program! I just graduated from Villanova as an undergrad (BA, Economics). One of my buddies who graduated in my class will be doing the MSF program at VU. Be sure to keep us posted on you experiences.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Send PM
Re: Question [#permalink]
Kudos
joroivanov wrote:
Spartanjoe,

Congratulations on your acceptance! There is one thing you said that I find particularly interesting - why is Villanova considered "close to Ivy League" in the East?

Thank you,
G.I.
Villanova has been recognized by publications such as BusinessWeek as having one of the strongest undergraduate business schools (#13 in the country this year, up from 17 last year!) A lot of this is due to our eagerness to embrace technology; by one metric VU was ranked "most wired campus," I believe. Our finance lab & our studio managed funds course, in which we manage $200,000 of seed capital of alumni donated money in the stock market, set us apart from the competition.

I believe I may be the only VU alumn on this board. I'd be glad to answer any questions that anyone might have. Just PM me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
Schools:University of Warwick
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
sludge wrote:
joroivanov wrote:
Spartanjoe,

Thank you,
G.I.
Villanova has been recognized by publications such as BusinessWeek as having one of the strongest undergraduate business schools (#13 in the country this year, up from 17 last year!) A lot of this is due to our eagerness to embrace technology; by one metric VU was ranked "most wired campus," I believe. Our finance lab & our studio managed funds course, in which we manage $200,000 of seed capital of alumni donated money in the stock market, set us apart from the competition.

I believe I may be the only VU alumn on this board. I'd be glad to answer any questions that anyone might have. Just PM me.

If this helps or not, but as an asian who has had his under grad degree from uk at a top business school, I have never heard of the Villanova as a business school. Thus I doub't it has any international reputation or is world-renowned, but I don't deny that it must be well known in the US
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts