GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 03:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, to mon

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 06 Sep 2018
Posts: 110
Location: Pakistan
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GPA: 2.87
WE: Engineering (Other)
CAT Tests
Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, to mon  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 08:26
1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (01:08) correct 30% (00:55) wrong based on 73 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, to monitor machine vibrations, vibration analyzer was made by John Mitchel , and he created the field of predictive maintenance.


A) Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, to monitor machine vibrations, vibration analyzer was made by John Mitchel

B) Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, John Mitchel made the vibration analyzer to monitor machine vibrations

C) Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, vibration analyzer was made by John Mitchel to monitor machine vibrations

D) By John Mitchel, vibration analyzer was made to monitor machine vibrations, much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments

E) John Mitchel made the vibration analyzer to monitor machine vibrations much before to design measuring instruments the PDAs were used

_________________

Eric Thomas, "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful."

CR Forum Moderator
avatar
G
Joined: 25 Apr 2018
Posts: 246
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, to mon  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 09:43
+1 for B

Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, to monitor machine vibrations, vibration analyzer was made by John Mitchel , and he created the field of predictive maintenance.

A) Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, to monitor machine vibrations, vibration analyzer was made by John Mitchel
B) Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, John Mitchel made the vibration analyzer to monitor machine vibrations
C) Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, vibration analyzer was made by John Mitchel to monitor machine vibrations
D) By John Mitchel, vibration analyzer was made to monitor machine vibrations, much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments illogical construction
E) John Mitchel made the vibration analyzer to monitor machine vibrations much before to design measuring instruments the PDAs were used meaning change
_________________

Please give kudos if you found my posts helpful!

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jan 2018
Posts: 36
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, to mon  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 10:14
gmat1393 wrote:
+1 for B

Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, to monitor machine vibrations, vibration analyzer was made by John Mitchel , and he created the field of predictive maintenance.

A) Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, to monitor machine vibrations, vibration analyzer was made by John Mitchel
B) Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, John Mitchel made the vibration analyzer to monitor machine vibrations
C) Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, vibration analyzer was made by John Mitchel to monitor machine vibrations
D) By John Mitchel, vibration analyzer was made to monitor machine vibrations, much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments illogical construction
E) John Mitchel made the vibration analyzer to monitor machine vibrations much before to design measuring instruments the PDAs were used meaning change


What is the issue with option C? Please explain.
CR Forum Moderator
avatar
G
Joined: 25 Apr 2018
Posts: 246
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, to mon  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 10:18
Quote:
What is the issue with option C? Please explain.


ArupRS
The second part of choice C is in passive voice.
In GMAT Active voice is preferred over passive voice.

Thanks
_________________

Please give kudos if you found my posts helpful!

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jan 2018
Posts: 36
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, to mon  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 10:25
gmat1393 wrote:
Quote:
What is the issue with option C? Please explain.


ArupRS
The second part of choice C is in passive voice.
In GMAT Active voice is preferred over passive voice.

Thanks



In the original question in e-gmat, option C doesn't have "was" after vibration analyzer. So the absence of the verb renders option C as a wrong answer choice. Here, "was" is present, so to make both the clause parallel, it's better to keep both the ICs in the passive voice as the first clause in in passive voice. Hence, option B is wrong.

I am afraid to say that the active voice is preferred to passive voice is not always correct. As per my understanding, There is no such grammar rule, rather it is a stylistic choice which we should only use as a last resort.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 01 Apr 2018
Posts: 86
CAT Tests
Re: Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, to mon  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 10:36
ArupRS wrote:
gmat1393 wrote:
+1 for B

Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, to monitor machine vibrations, vibration analyzer was made by John Mitchel , and he created the field of predictive maintenance.

A) Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, to monitor machine vibrations, vibration analyzer was made by John Mitchel
B) Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, John Mitchel made the vibration analyzer to monitor machine vibrations
C) Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, vibration analyzer was made by John Mitchel to monitor machine vibrations
D) By John Mitchel, vibration analyzer was made to monitor machine vibrations, much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments illogical construction
E) John Mitchel made the vibration analyzer to monitor machine vibrations much before to design measuring instruments the PDAs were used meaning change


What is the issue with option C? Please explain.


In option C, the antecedent (John) of the pronoun 'he' is not in subjective form, hence there is no clear antecedent to the pronoun 'he' used in the clause after the conjunction 'and'.

Hope this helps!
_________________

Kindly click on +1Kudos if my post helps you...

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jan 2018
Posts: 36
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, to mon  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 10:59
tarunanandani wrote:
ArupRS wrote:
gmat1393 wrote:
+1 for B

Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, to monitor machine vibrations, vibration analyzer was made by John Mitchel , and he created the field of predictive maintenance.

A) Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, to monitor machine vibrations, vibration analyzer was made by John Mitchel
B) Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, John Mitchel made the vibration analyzer to monitor machine vibrations
C) Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, vibration analyzer was made by John Mitchel to monitor machine vibrations
D) By John Mitchel, vibration analyzer was made to monitor machine vibrations, much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments illogical construction
E) John Mitchel made the vibration analyzer to monitor machine vibrations much before to design measuring instruments the PDAs were used meaning change


What is the issue with option C? Please explain.


In option C, the antecedent (John) of the pronoun 'he' is not in subjective form, hence there is no clear antecedent to the pronoun 'he' used in the clause after the conjunction 'and'.

Hope this helps!


Sorry Tarunanandani. I am not aware of such a rule. I believe what happened here, the person who posted this question, mistakenly used "was" in option C.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, to mon &nbs [#permalink] 21 Sep 2018, 10:59
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Much before the PDAs were used to design measuring instruments, to mon

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.