GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Mar 2019, 11:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Much like Macbeth when he interprets the witches’ prophecies all too

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Re: Much like Macbeth when he interprets the witches’ prophecies all too  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2016, 02:33
It seems as we have compared noun with clause here, if there would have been any conjunction such as "when" or any modifier starting with ing or ed without comma have been placed b/w "Ahab" and "accepts" such as "Ahab accepting" thin this sentence seems more sound to me

I was unable to understand why one would require a coma between "Ahab" and "accepts". "Ahab" is the subject and "accepts" is the verb, not a modifier. We could discuss effectively if you could elaborate why you feel that a comma is required.[/quote]
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Much like Macbeth when he interprets the witches’ prophecies all too  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2016, 16:47
vipulgoel wrote:
It seems as we have compared noun with clause here, if there would have been any conjunction such as "when" or any modifier starting with ing or ed without comma have been placed b/w "Ahab" and "accepts" such as "Ahab accepting" thin this sentence seems more sound to me

OK, I would repeat the example I cited in my previous post:

Like John, I play football.

Would you say that "John" has been compared to the entire clause "I play football". Do we need a comma or modifier after "I" in order that the comparison is valid?

Now an identical structure as that given in the subject question:
Like John, who is the captain of school team, I play football.

Insertion of the non-essential modifier "who is the captain of school team" does not make any difference to the core structure of the sentence: Like X, Y does ... remains valid.

In case you still do not agree that a comma is not required, would you provide an example what should be the structure with comma or a modifier after the second noun?
Manager
Manager
Re: Much like Macbeth when he interprets the witches’ prophecies all too  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 00:58
A and C incorrectly compare ‘the mysterious harpooner’ to Macbeth, so they are out.

B does the same thing, comparing ‘the prophecies’ to Macbeth instead.

D has an SV disagreement between ‘prophecy’ and ‘their’.

E is the right answer.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Much like Macbeth when he interprets the witches’ prophecies all too   [#permalink] 01 Mar 2019, 00:58

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 23 posts ] 

Much like Macbeth when he interprets the witches’ prophecies all too

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap