It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 04:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Muscular strength is a limited resource

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 125

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 55

Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Muscular strength is a limited resource [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 17:08
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (01:09) correct 45% (01:20) wrong based on 270 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Muscular strength is a limited resource, and athletic techniques help to use this resource efficiently. Since top athletes do not differ greatly from each other in muscular strength, it follows that a requirement for an athlete to become a champion is a superior mastery of athletic techniques. Which one of the following most accurately expresses the conclusion of the argument?

A. Only champion athletes have a superior mastery of athletic techniques.
B. Superior muscular strength is a requirement for an athlete to become a champion.
C. No athlete can become a champion without a superior mastery of athletic techniques.
D. The differences in muscular strength between top athletes are not great.
E. Athletic techniques help athletes use limited resources efficiently.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 55

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 4969

Kudos [?]: 5458 [1], given: 112

Re: Muscular strength is a limited resource [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 19:16
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
nightblade354 wrote:
Muscular strength is a limited resource, and athletic techniques help to use this resource efficiently. Since top athletes do not differ greatly from each other in muscular strength, it follows that a requirement for an athlete to become a champion is a superior mastery of athletic techniques. Which one of the following most accurately expresses the conclusion of the argument?

A. Only champion athletes have a superior mastery of athletic techniques.
B. Superior muscular strength is a requirement for an athlete to become a champion.
C. No athlete can become a champion without a superior mastery of athletic techniques.
D. The differences in muscular strength between top athletes are not great.
E. Athletic techniques help athletes use limited resources efficiently.



hi..

Easy to get confused between B and C BUT look at the words..

B talks of superior muscular strength. while the argument states that

Quote:
it follows that a requirement for an athlete to become a champion is a superior mastery of athletic techniques.

this is exactly the word used by C

ans C
_________________

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5458 [1], given: 112

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Aug 2017
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 106

Re: Muscular strength is a limited resource [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 12:55
C is too extreme. Why is E not the right answer?

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 106

Director
Director
User avatar
S
Joined: 24 Nov 2015
Posts: 586

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 231

Location: United States (LA)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Muscular strength is a limited resource [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 13:36
options A, D and E are either out of scope or irrelevant w.r.t. argument
We get a initial confusion between options B and C,but if we observe closely we can notice that the argument is talking about 'superior mastery of athletic techniques' and not 'Superior muscular strength'. So the correct answer choice is option C

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 231

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 125

Kudos [?]: 46 [1], given: 55

Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Muscular strength is a limited resource [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 15:33
1
This post received
KUDOS
najsh2 wrote:
C is too extreme. Why is E not the right answer?

Posted from my mobile device


Hi najsh2,

Let's look at the argument:

Muscular strength is a limited resource, and athletic techniques help to use this resource efficiently. Since top athletes do not differ greatly from each other in muscular strength, it follows that a requirement for an athlete to become a champion is a superior mastery of athletic techniques. Which one of the following most accurately expresses the conclusion of the argument?

The word "since" always signifies a conclusion.
Conclusion: Requirement to become a champion is a superior mastery of athletic technique (green highlighted). This is word for word what (C) states. Also, note the word 'requirement' (highlighted above). If something is a requirement, then nothing can occur without it, hence why no athlete can become a champion without it. And, hence the 'extreme' language.

C. No athlete can become a champion without a superior mastery of athletic techniques.
E. Athletic techniques help athletes use limited resources efficiently. -- This may be true, but it is not the conclusion.

More words that signal a conclusion, if it helps:

Thus
Therefore
Hence
Consequently (“ly”)
As a result
So, If
Accordingly
Clearly
Must Be
Shows(is a action word) that
Conclude (is a action word) that
Follows that
For this reason

*I did not compile this list. It is derived from a CR word document found online that I can provide, if anyone wants it.
_________________

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Kudos [?]: 46 [1], given: 55

VP
VP
User avatar
G
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1069

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 532

Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Re: Muscular strength is a limited resource [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 08:46
chetan2u wrote:
nightblade354 wrote:
Muscular strength is a limited resource, and athletic techniques help to use this resource efficiently. Since top athletes do not differ greatly from each other in muscular strength, it follows that a requirement for an athlete to become a champion is a superior mastery of athletic techniques. Which one of the following most accurately expresses the conclusion of the argument?

A. Only champion athletes have a superior mastery of athletic techniques.
B. Superior muscular strength is a requirement for an athlete to become a champion.
C. No athlete can become a champion without a superior mastery of athletic techniques.
D. The differences in muscular strength between top athletes are not great.
E. Athletic techniques help athletes use limited resources efficiently.



hi..

Easy to get confused between B and C BUT look at the words..

B talks of superior muscular strength. while the argument states that

Quote:
it follows that a requirement for an athlete to become a champion is a superior mastery of athletic techniques.

this is exactly the word used by C

ans C


Hi chetan2u
Can you explain why A is wrong , i will be of great help .
I get question like this most often wrong.
Please help.
_________________

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 532

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 125

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 55

Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Muscular strength is a limited resource [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 09:16
arvind910619 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
nightblade354 wrote:
Muscular strength is a limited resource, and athletic techniques help to use this resource efficiently. Since top athletes do not differ greatly from each other in muscular strength, it follows that a requirement for an athlete to become a champion is a superior mastery of athletic techniques. Which one of the following most accurately expresses the conclusion of the argument?

A. Only champion athletes have a superior mastery of athletic techniques.
B. Superior muscular strength is a requirement for an athlete to become a champion.
C. No athlete can become a champion without a superior mastery of athletic techniques.
D. The differences in muscular strength between top athletes are not great.
E. Athletic techniques help athletes use limited resources efficiently.



hi..

Easy to get confused between B and C BUT look at the words..

B talks of superior muscular strength. while the argument states that

Quote:
it follows that a requirement for an athlete to become a champion is a superior mastery of athletic techniques.

this is exactly the word used by C

ans C


Hi chetan2u
Can you explain why A is wrong , i will be of great help .
I get question like this most often wrong.
Please help.


Hi Arvind,

(A) isn't the answer because of what the comment means. (A) says "Only champion athletes have a superior mastery of athletic techniques. ", but this goes too far. You could not be a champion athlete, but still have a mastery of athletic techniques. For example, someone who body builds at home, but doesn't compete. Or someone who runs 80 miles a day at Olympic speed, but doesn't want to compete. Both of these examples can be true, yet run counter to (A). Hence, this is why (A) is wrong.

Does this help?
_________________

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 55

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Aug 2017
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 106

Re: Muscular strength is a limited resource [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 16:54
Great explanation. Thank you.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 106

Re: Muscular strength is a limited resource   [#permalink] 07 Sep 2017, 16:54
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Muscular strength is a limited resource

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.