GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jul 2018, 10:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2013, 19:48
The feeling when you get a bold face CR right!!! Awesome :D
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 590 Q40 V30
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2014, 09:22
Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store them in envbironments that are carefully kept within narrow margins of temperature and humidity to inhibit any deterioration. Laboratory tests have shown that the kind of oil paint used in these paintings actually adjusts to climatic changes quite well. If, as some museum directors believe, paint is the most sensitive substance in these works, then by relaxing the standards for temperature and humidity control, museums can reduce energy costs without risking damage to these paintings. Museums would be rash to relax those standards, however, since results of preliminary tests indicate that gesso, a compound routinely used by Renaissance artists to help paint adhere to the canvas, is unable to withstand significant variations in humidity.

In the argument above, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

- Background
- Evidence
B - hypothetical situation
B - hypothetical outcome
- Evidence against the adoption of the hypothetical situation.

Moreover: Boldface statements agree to each other. The main conclusion doesn't agree with the boldface statements

A. The first is an objection that has been raised against the position taken by the argument; the second is the position taken by the argument.
The second is not the position taken by the argument. Out
B. The first is the position taken by the argument; the second is the position that the argument calls into question.
The first is not the position taken by the argument. Out
C. The first is a judgment that has been offered in support of the position that the argument calls into question; the second is a circumstance on which that judgment is, in part based.
The second is not a circumstance, it is the hypothetical outcome. Out
D. The first is a judgment that has been offered in support of the position that the argument calls into question; the second is that position.
Fits perfectly
E. The first is a claim that the argument calls into question; the second is the position taken by the argument.
The second is not the position taken by the argument. Out

learn the rules of the game, then play better than anyone else.

NUS Thread Master
Affiliations: Oracle certified java programmer , adobe certified developer
GMAT Date: 02-12-2015
GPA: 3.87
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2014, 08:38
C for me, though the OA is D.. cant really think that much in 2 minutes :p

IF IT IS TO BE , IT IS UP TO ME

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.94

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2014, 15:14
I chose D.

For me, it offered the reasoning for the position that standards could be relaxed. But, the conclusion disputed that premise.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT Date: 08-22-2015
GPA: 3.5
WE: Programming (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2015, 06:23
The answer is Definitely D.

We will approach this by eliminating the incorrect options.
paint is the most sensitive substance in these works : Provides support to the argument.

Hence This will eliminate Option A, B, E since its neither a Objection , Claim, Position.

Lets look at the other part.

museums can reduce energy costs without risking damage to these paintings : It is not a circumstance. But It is a Idea to Save energy.

Hence C will be eliminated.

So the correct answer will be D.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2015, 18:18
"D" says that the first part is a judgement. How can it be the right answer?

As it is an OG problem, it is very important for me to understand this concept. Could someone please explain the use of the word "judgement" in this option?
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 10:36
Hi Experts,

Can you suggest my flaw while dissecting below argument:
Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store them in environments that are carefully kept within narrow margins of temperature and humidity to inhibit any deterioration.

This is a fact

Laboratory tests have shown that the kind of oil paint used in these paintings actually adjusts to climatic changes quite well.

This is a fact because of - lab tests have ....

If, as some museum directors believe, paint is the most sensitive substance in these works, then by relaxing the standards for temperature and humidity control, museums can reduce energy costs without risking damage to these paintings.

This whole statement is a belief of M directors and this is where I faltered.According to me M directors make a conditional statement that by relaxing the standards for temperature and humidity control, they can achieve goal of - museums can reduce energy costs without risking damage to these paintings. This is aptly supported by fact that - paint is the most sensitive substance in these works

So, tell here,according to me - BF1 is a fact and BF2 is opinion of people.

When I read the solution, I could not make out that - museums can reduce energy costs without risking damage to these paintings - is the author's main opinion.

Further reading:
Museums would be rash to relax those standards, however, since results of preliminary tests indicate that gesso, a compound routinely used by Renaissance artists to help paint adhere to the canvas, is unable to withstand significant variations in humidity.

All this is a fact. However, once I have established the BF part earlier is it important to read rest of argument? How to co-relate the same with two BF.
WR,
Arpit

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 16:36
Quote:
Hi Experts,

Can you suggest my flaw while dissecting below argument:
Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store them in environments that are carefully kept within narrow margins of temperature and humidity to inhibit any deterioration.

This is a fact

Laboratory tests have shown that the kind of oil paint used in these paintings actually adjusts to climatic changes quite well.

This is a fact because of - lab tests have ....

If, as some museum directors believe, paint is the most sensitive substance in these works, then by relaxing the standards for temperature and humidity control, museums can reduce energy costs without risking damage to these paintings.

This whole statement is a belief of M directors and this is where I faltered.According to me M directors make a conditional statement that by relaxing the standards for temperature and humidity control, they can achieve goal of - museums can reduce energy costs without risking damage to these paintings. This is aptly supported by fact that - paint is the most sensitive substance in these works

So, tell here,according to me - BF1 is a fact and BF2 is opinion of people.

When I read the solution, I could not make out that - museums can reduce energy costs without risking damage to these paintings - is the author's main opinion.

Further reading:
Museums would be rash to relax those standards, however, since results of preliminary tests indicate that gesso, a compound routinely used by Renaissance artists to help paint adhere to the canvas, is unable to withstand significant variations in humidity.

All this is a fact. However, once I have established the BF part earlier is it important to read rest of argument? How to co-relate the same with two BF.
WR,
Arpit

First problem: "This is aptly supported by fact that - paint is the most sensitive substance in these works". Notice that the first boldfaced portion is preceded by "IF"... this is a conditional statement relying on something that has NOT been proven as fact. "If it rains today, I will get wet." - I don't know for a fact that it will rain.

Second problem: "museums can reduce energy costs without risking damage to these paintings - is the author's main opinion." This is not in fact the author's main opinion; rather, this is the main opinion of the directors who WRONGLY believe that "paint is the most sensitive substance in these works". The author of the passage is saying that IF you believe that paint is the most sensitive substance in these works (judgement), THEN you will take the position that museums can reduce energy costs without risking damage to the paintings. This fits with choice D. The author of the passage then presents evidence that this judgement is FALSE: "results of preliminary tests indicate that gesso, a compound routinely used by Renaissance artists to help paint adhere to the canvas, is unable to withstand significant variations in humidity." This evidence suggests that gesso, not paint, is the most sensitive substance in those works. If the temperature and humidity standards are relaxed, the paint will be fine, but the gesso will probably fail, risking damage to the paintings.

I hope that helps!

www.gmatninja.com

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 10:47
Found Best solution for this problem.

https://e-gmat.com/blogs/og13-123-renai ... paintings/

Kudos if you like the information :)

KUDOS PLEASE, If my post Helped you.
Thank you

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 07:08
Is this the "museums can reduce energy costs without risking damage to these paintings" counter conclusion in the argument?

How is D the correct answer? First boldface and second boldface statements aren't opposite to each other. Are they?

First boldface is opposite to the main conclusion of this argument.

Please explain. Thanks!
-------------
Understood. I made a mistake and did not read the last bit "calls into question" carefully hence that question.
The above link by err.. is helpful. Thanks!
Re: Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store &nbs [#permalink] 19 Aug 2017, 07:08

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 50 posts ] 

Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap