Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:44 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [4]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: International Business, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Affiliations: IIT Alumni Association, ISB Alumni Association
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [2]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GPA: 3.67
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 482 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: My first and maybe not last attempt: 650 (Q49 V30 AWA 5) [#permalink]
Kudos
nice debrief. It's getting late in here but I'm still awake ;). In general, I think that for a Msc programme you don't need to have such high scores as for an MBA. This depends of course on the country and school; like I said it is just a tendency.
Affiliations: IIT Alumni Association, ISB Alumni Association
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
On verbals, I would suggest you could have a look at the e-GMAT course and enroll for the free trial. If you like it, you can then enroll for the paid version. It's relatively cheap and is targeted at non-native speakers.

Please go through the Brutal SC, CR documents on GMATClub - and also the verbal notes by whiplash, Gayathri, spidey etc - all are free downloads. You can download them here: download.php

You could go through the GMATClub SC, CR and RC and PS, DS discussion threads, which are broken down into 700-level questions and 600-level questions. You can find these links here: viewforumtags.php

Also, please go to whiplash's profile and download all the verbal documents you'll find in her signature.

All the best!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Great debrief! :) I wish you the best of luck with your next GMAT attempt!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Hi there,

I was in the same situation a few months ago.

I decided to take the e-gmat course for verbal, and improved my raw V score by 8 points.

You may want to look into it... They have a one or two week trial (can't remember exactly how long.).

What helped me also was to try to read 4-5 pages of a book or a long article every day - start with subject matters that interest you and then move on to the longer, more tedious ones.

Before that, I was used to reading things for key words, and grabbing information I need without really paying attention to the overall content, style and structure. Getting into the habit of reading helped steer me in the right direction as far as RCs and CRs go.

Other than that, don't give up! GMAT is a beast, but it can be taken down! =)

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Renagade wrote:
Hey - pretty good story. And also good persistence .. I will also look into that iphone App

Thanx!
Toolkit app costs about $25, but it is definitely worth that money :)
There is also a free version, but of course there are much less practice questions there.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks!
I will probably try one more time in April or May, before the new format is introduced))

Santanu76 wrote:
A good debief - thanks! +1 Kudos from me.

I envy the smoking bit - my GMAT center did not have a smoking lounge - was a pretty difficult 4 hours:)

Jokes apart, as you say, 650 is a decent score and you dont need a higher score for your target schools. However, if you want to target a scholarship, I don't see any harm in retrying.

I think you underperformed on the verbal part and can notch up the score with hard work.

There are a lot of helpful, interesting verbal documents in GMATClub itself - do ask me and I can share the links if you decide to retake.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
I don't see any harm in re-taking. Especially given the fact that you scored 680 & 700 on various practice tests. That could make a huge difference in scholarship money.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for your advice! I'll try that)

Sunflwr3 wrote:
Hi there,

I was in the same situation a few months ago.

I decided to take the e-gmat course for verbal, and improved my raw V score by 8 points.

You may want to look into it... They have a one or two week trial (can't remember exactly how long.).

What helped me also was to try to read 4-5 pages of a book or a long article every day - start with subject matters that interest you and then move on to the longer, more tedious ones.

Before that, I was used to reading things for key words, and grabbing information I need without really paying attention to the overall content, style and structure. Getting into the habit of reading helped steer me in the right direction as far as RCs and CRs go.

Other than that, don't give up! GMAT is a beast, but it can be taken down! =)

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes, the only one reason for me to retake the exam is to have more chance for scholarship :)
I will probably do that this spring.

jazzman wrote:
I don't see any harm in re-taking. Especially given the fact that you scored 680 & 700 on various practice tests. That could make a huge difference in scholarship money.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a lot ellessie!

elleesie wrote:
Great debrief! :) I wish you the best of luck with your next GMAT attempt!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a lot for your valuable advice! I will look through these materials and try to keep the community informed of my future success 8-)

Santanu76 wrote:
On verbals, I would suggest you could have a look at the e-GMAT course and enroll for the free trial. If you like it, you can then enroll for the paid version. It's relatively cheap and is targeted at non-native speakers.

Please go through the Brutal SC, CR documents on GMATClub - and also the verbal notes by whiplash, Gayathri, spidey etc - all are free downloads. You can download them here: download.php

You could go through the GMATClub SC, CR and RC and PS, DS discussion threads, which are broken down into 700-level questions and 600-level questions. You can find these links here: viewforumtags.php

Also, please go to whiplash's profile and download all the verbal documents you'll find in her signature.

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just wanted to share with you that I re-took the GMAT last Saturday and improved my score up to 690 Q49 V35 (still do not know the AWA score but, as I feel, everything should be OK there).
I will try to find some more time and post a detailed debrief, but now I am not ready for that, and will write briefly.

Many thanks to E-GMAT course (I took only free trial course because I was very short of time during preparation).
Also many thanks to GMAT question of the day e-mails, they helped me much to remail in the ranks between the exams.
My advice to everybody who wants to retake the test in some months after the 1st attempt, but is not ready to study every day during this period: solving 2 questions a day from those e-mails helps not to forget everything, and easily resume your studies when you are ready to start preparing for the next exam.

I actually had about 10 days of preparation before the 2nd exam due to my new full time job, with about 2 hours of study a day.

Of course I would be more psychologically satisfied if 7 was the first digit of my score, but, in my opinion, 690 and 700 do not differ much:)

So, now I am pretty happy with my score, and do not plan to retake. I will better concentrate on IELTS and applications:)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37300 posts