Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [4]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [3]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: My GMAT Experience 700 (Q49, V35) [#permalink]
Kudos
First of all, Congratulations! 700 is a great score. However, if you feel that the score you received is not indicative of your true abilities, I think you should retake it again.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Congratulations on an excellent score. I personally would focus more on application at this point as retaking would potentially give you less time for completing the applications for the first round (assuming you are targeting Fall 2012 start) but that's me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Send PM
Kudos
heregoesnothing wrote:
Congratulations on an excellent score. I personally would focus more on application at this point as retaking would potentially give you less time for completing the applications for the first round (assuming you are targeting Fall 2012 start) but that's me.

I agree with heregoesnothing. And because you are not a native speaker, I assume that you'll require extra time to write compelling essays. 700 is great! :)

How many are you applying to in R1? Perhaps if you have some time left over (provided that you work really hard to complete those applications ahead of time), you can retake it. But I do agree that at this point you'd want to start focusing on your application content. I read somewhere that a high GMAT doesn't necessarily get you in, but a LOW gmat most definitely increases the chances of keeping you out. Even if 700 is a little below average for some of the schools you are targeting, it is not low enough to be significant enough to keep you out. 700 is definitely a high score. Just my humble opinion. However, if your essays are not compelling, then no question you won't get in the top 10...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
forsaken11 wrote:
That's a valid point. I am planning to apply to 3 schools in Round 1. I am still confused to be honest. I have to write the TOEFL as well.

More reason to focus on application. TOEFL is notorious for taking forever to report score in my experience. They took almost a 3 weeks to report my wife's score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
I strongly recommend you to sit again for new test. Its really disappointing that ur verbal section remained incomplete. And its truly has demaged ur score.Ur score would have been far better if u had completed ur verbal section. Definetly 20-30 points less than wat may had actually been for u. So definetly i recommend u to retake the test....
Best of luck....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Still like to say congratulations even though you're dissappointed.. I think it's a great score..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
champ

this is a good score. Pls first find out which b-school u fit in vs what u aspire to get in. if ur score does not fit, u may want to repeat. school do consider avg of 2 score as well and hence with improvement also benefit may not be substantial.

other part of application like your academic, work ex, application essay are also imp and hence getting too much onto the gmat score may not be good idea.

all the best. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Send PM
Re: My GMAT Experience 700 (Q49, V35) AWA 6.0 [#permalink]
Kudos
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I have edited my post to include comments about AWA. Just received the scores, and they second what everyone else has been saying on these forums: follow the templates developed by chinesebured!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hello Everyone!

I wrote the GMAT yesterday and am very happy to report that I was able to improve my score to 750. (Q48 and V46). Obviously, am very thrilled with the increase and really happy that I decided to write the test again. I could have done better had I maintained my Quant score at the same level as the last time but I am satisfied nonetheless.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice. Also a big thanks to the gmatclub for providing me with the material that I used to raise my score in verbal. (GMAT Prep SC and CR documents)

One piece of advice for Quant - During the one month between my two attempts I did not focus that much on Quant and I feel that this lack of practice contributed to the decline in my score. During the exam I was struggling with Quant questions and once the section was over, I was really afraid that I had blown my chances of increasing my score. Thankfully, I managed to do well in Verbal which more than offset the decrease in my Quant score.

If anyone has any questions or any other queries then please let me know. I will be glad to help out!

p.s. my exam included a 30 minute section at the end about future GMAT questions. I was too much in a hurry to see my scores that I just answered all of them randomly :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Thanks guys!

I am targeting the top tier schools so my score is below average for some of them :(
Intern
Intern
Send PM
enkie wrote:
heregoesnothing wrote:

I agree with heregoesnothing. And because you are not a native speaker, I assume that you'll require extra time to write compelling essays. 700 is great! :)

How many are you applying to in R1? Perhaps if you have some time left over (provided that you work really hard to complete those applications ahead of time), you can retake it. But I do agree that at this point you'd want to start focusing on your application content. I read somewhere that a high GMAT doesn't necessarily get you in, but a LOW gmat most definitely increases the chances of keeping you out. Even if 700 is a little below average for some of the schools you are targeting, it is not low enough to be significant enough to keep you out. 700 is definitely a high score. Just my humble opinion. However, if your essays are not compelling, then no question you won't get in the top 10...

That's a valid point. I am planning to apply to 3 schools in Round 1. I am still confused to be honest. I have to write the TOEFL as well.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
heregoesnothing wrote:
forsaken11 wrote:

More reason to focus on application. TOEFL is notorious for taking forever to report score in my experience. They took almost a 3 weeks to report my wife's score.

I had a question regarding toefl. Do they tend to give you an unofficial score once you finish your exam?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Insurance)
Send PM
Congratulations and all the best for your applications!+1
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.86
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi forsaken11

I got your PM regarding toefl but am not able to send you PM due to technical problem...can you PM your email ID?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Send PM
Wow congrats on 11 point increase in verbal...please share your strategies to improve verbal!!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Send PM