Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [48]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [4]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [2]
Send PM
Re: My GMAT journey (2 months prep) and Result (760, Q50, V44) [#permalink]
Kudos
kblade wrote:
Thanks for sharing, I'm also planning to study about 2 months although I will be working full time and not quitting my job. That took some guts !

Good luck. If you plan to study while having a full time job, you may want to increase the prep time from 2 to 3 months. Your choice but I found 2 months adequate even with 4 - 8 hrs daily study. Perhaps, I took too many CATs but they did help a lot.

pawanchopra wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have just started preparing for GMAT, hopefully planning to give in 3 months time. I have enrolled myself into Magoosh course. Any advice as to how to improve on CR section as I am really struggling with it even after having completed 2 rounds of online lessons.

Thanks and good luck to everyone.

I found Powerscore CR bible to be of great help. Read slowly and carefully and deconstruct the argument into different pieces among which the most important is the conclusion. Take a moment to fit all pieces into logical sequence and relationship. While studying do not think about time limit until you are clear with the concept. Speed will come later but the accuracy is more important initially.

Zynga wrote:
Congrats on that fantastic score!!

Thanks Zynga, I saw your blog and it is great. You have put together some very good information such as idiom table in your blog. Bravo !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you guys for the wishes ! I thought to add few more details:

Pearson Test Center in Delhi: This is near AIIMS and I visited the place one day before the exam. There is no parking place around the center. I had to park my car about 600 mtrs away from the center on roadside because there was no other option. The test center is small, has about 10 seats and just one toilet :shock: . This center should have better facilities. Staff at the center was good. I am still not sure about the overall process of taking breaks and resuming tests, because as soon as the PC is unlocked after the break the next session starts. I am sure that I returned in less than 5 minutes to my seat in each break but still found the next session running as soon as the PC was unlocked. I did not bother to ask but it is worth checking if you want to utilise all 8 mins of your break time.

Selecting 5 schools to report score on the GMAT day: It is a simple select from the drop downs and fairly easy. You can check the samething on mba.com. Decide on these schools before the GMAT day. Stupidly enough, I forgot one of the 5 schools I wanted to send the scores and selected 1 different school :x , which was lower on my priority. Anyway it is not the end of the world and I will have to pay a fee to send that extra score now.

Report or cancel score screen: Do not cancel you score unless you have very very good idea that you screwed up. Strangely, the report or cancel score screen says that your score will be canceled if you do not make a selection in 2 mins. I think the default should be to report the score. So be careful not to loose your score after all the hardwork because of pondering over what to do at that time.

AWA: I owe it to chineseburned on GMATclub to know exactly what to do with AWA. Simply follow the template and write essay in each of your practise test. Decorate your sentences with modifiers, adjectives, etc. Aim to write no less than 350 words. I think I managed to write about 400 words with 20 words per sentence on average .
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Samwong wrote:
Congratulation on a great score! Can you talk a little bit about the RC that you saw on the real test? Are they comparable to the RC that you did during the mock tests and OG? Thanks.

Yes, RC passages on my real exam were similar to the mock ones or OG ones. I got 3 short passages (2 paras) and one long ( 4 paras). There were passages about social science, ecology, business and science. All passages were easy read but the questions had closely contesting answer choices that needed careful selection; they were very close to MGMAT CAT ones. During my early days of prep, I found a difference in OG RC and MGMAT CAT RC that MGMAT RC answer choices were hard to eliminate ,i.e., very minute and subtle difference among correct and worng choices, while the OG answer choices were clear cut.

As I said in my original post, RC is a good area to score. You have everything given to you in the passage to answer correctly. All you need to do is read and infer. To pick the right answer on RC, you need to exactly match the answer choice with the passage. If the answer choice says that author has contrasted one new theory with an old controversial theory with help of two examples, you must find something in the passage saying or sugeesting that there are two theroies discussed, one is new and other one is old, they contrast each other, the older one is controversial and there are exactly two examples given. If any of this is not true, the answer choice is not correct. For example, the passage says people in general believe bla bla bla.... the right answer choice will have a keyword "popular belief".
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
AbhiJ wrote:
Can you suggest how you analysed the tests and what you studied in between.

After the 1st diagnostic test, I took 5 weeks to complete the study guides and many of the OG problems. Later after each CAT, I looked into details of the explanations of all the questions regardless of whether I was right or wrong on that question. I wrote down few notes from new learnings such as grow up to is not right, grow to is right, by 1945 (or any time reference) + past perfect is alright, etc. MGMAT provides a great option of exporting your CAT details into an excel sheet. It helped me analyse in detail by applying excel filters on question type, difficulty, time taken etc. I paid attention to how I paced myself in a CAT by looking at Cumm Time and Target Cumm Time columns and resolved to improve any glaring overruns. I completed reaming OG problems, or other sources in between CATs. If I found errors concentration in a particular area, I tried to improve that before attempting next CAT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Congrats Kaps !!!

I plan to write GMAT in next 2-3 months ..thanks for the study plan ..!! Will be very helpful

Cheers ..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Congratulations Kaps07 !!!, You are surely on your way (pursue MBA from a good institute)....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
This is amazing, congrats !!
How do you rate the GMAT CRs with the OGs were they comparable or GMAT's were tougher?
For SC, were you able to identify the pattern , which lot of people claim to do?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Send PM
Congratulation on a great score! Can you talk a little bit about the RC that you saw on the real test? Are they comparable to the RC that you did during the mock tests and OG? Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Thanks Kaps for the reply.What about quant.Were they comparable to MGMAT cats or more tougher?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Send PM
anuragbytes wrote:
Thanks Kaps for the reply.What about quant.Were they comparable to MGMAT cats or more tougher?

Posted from my mobile device

Quant was comparable to MGMAT CAT 5 and 6 with mix of easy and tough questions. MGMAT CAT 1 - 4 quant is skewed on the tougher side. Though experimental question (as I guessed them to be) on the real exam can be real tough. There were couple of really twisted questions. I got lured into spending about 4 -5 mins on one to solve but on the next one I just guessed in few seconds because it was a geometry question which required 3D imagination of an object unravelling in 2D; I strongly believe that it was an experimental one, even if it wasn't I was never going to solve it in time limit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
WE:Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Send PM
Thanks for sharing, I'm also planning to study about 2 months although I will be working full time and not quitting my job. That took some guts !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi Guys,

I have just started preparing for GMAT, hopefully planning to give in 3 months time. I have enrolled myself into Magoosh course. Any advice as to how to improve on CR section as I am really struggling with it even after having completed 2 rounds of online lessons.

Thanks and good luck to everyone.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Congrats on that fantastic score!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Hey, thanks alot for sharing your experience and building our courage !!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q36 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.42
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Great post, Kaps! Thanks for sharing your experiences and congrats on the great score! Where are you applying?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Send PM
jerembo wrote:
Great post, Kaps! Thanks for sharing your experiences and congrats on the great score! Where are you applying?

Thanks. I am still doing ground work on the complete list of schools to apply. On the day of GMAT, I selected 1 year executive MBAs from Indian Institue of Managements (IIM) and Indian Scool of Business (ISB) to send scores to. I am now finding more about my prospects at Top US schools. My more than normal average work ex and age, and program costs are some of the concerns that I need to sort out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Great debrief!!! Congrats and best of luck for the application process...
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37306 posts