GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2019, 14:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

My TOEFL experience-- 100/120

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
My TOEFL experience-- 100/120  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2014, 02:57
Hi,

My TOEFL score was just recently announced : 100 / 120

To be more precise : R30 L26 S18 W26

One thing that I should mention is that my testing environment was absolutely absurd, I means, it's so noisy-- even though I already plugged in my headphone, I clearly heard other test taker's computer instructions!!! Could you believe that!!! I know that ETS is notorious for its testing room but I have no idea that it will be this level. In fact, I's surprised that there was no protest among participants.

So, my little advice is that you should survey your testing room thoroughly before booking your order.

Now, for each parts:

Reading :
This part was ridiculously simple, it's a lot easier compare to those passages that were presented in official ETS's TOEFL books( you know, those 2 books that have 3 and 5 real exams). I finished all of them( 3 passages in total) and I still had 6 minutes left to spare. The questions&answers were limpid, the sentence structures were easy to follow, and most of the vocabularies were nearly rudimentary. Although I never have a problem with this section, I got a paranoid that I may misread many questions( due to those noisy computer sounds). Well, it turns out that I just hallucinate myself. :)

Listening:

I was able to understand all of the conversations and lectures, however, some questions were too finicky that you may miss during your course of listening. I can recall that there's one conversation that the student in that discussion gets high or something that he talks so fast-- around 1.5x times of normal talking speed!!, and it looks like he's yelling at the professor.

I think you should try to take note effectively in this section, and memorize all of its little details. This's either hit or miss part because some official exams that I tried didn't require that much attention.

Speaking:

This's a bit letdown for me since I already familiarized myself with NoteFull's advice and I tried all official TOEFL speaking exams. I know that I didn't perform my best during the test-- my words kept faltering and I produced non-relevant words( For example: I used "haphazardly" instead of "readily" :( ) I understand that it can screw up my score, but I expect to get at least 22+ since I was able to answer all of the questions within a provided time. Guess, I can't speak mindlessly then. It's hard for me to articulate all information within such limited time.

Writing:

Again, I'm not satisfy with this part. I wrote around 280+ words in part I and 420+ words in part II and I had enough time to review all the content that I created in part I and half of part II. Noted that I also followed the writing guideline. I guess that because I intentionally left some minor details in part I( For instance: I didn't sure that the name of the nation that I heard is either India or Indian, so I just wrote "another continent"). For part II, maybe I was too indulge with my personal interest. To elaborate this, I wrote about VGA card, ATI products and recent computer games. Maybe the graders didn't understand that **** so they decided to lower my score. So, I think you should stick with simple scenario, don't make an assumption that graders are gen-Y or gen-Z like you!!

I'm OK with my score and I don't plan to re-take it, I don't intent to apply for MBA program like many dudes around here, though. Besides, I hate how ETS is so ignorant about its testing environment quality.
Intern
Intern
Re: My TOEFL experience-- 100/120  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2014, 04:07
You have acquired the best possible score on reading part. I have taken two complete reading test in Cambridge TOEFL iBT preparation software by the score 20_21. My target score for this part is 26+. What are your suggestions in order to reach my goal?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2014, 12:44
Hello there,

Congratulation for your score. I got my TOEFL score and my score is 96 (R-28, L-24, S-19, W-25). I am worried about speaking section. :( Your score is approximately similar with mine. Perhaps you already applied. Could you please tell me, is it possible to get fund with this speaking score, or I need to retake?

Bappy
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2014, 04:07
Wow! Congrats on the high score - especially in reading!

For all those preparing for the TOEFL, I recommend doing a sample test in a VERY noisy and crowded environment prior to taking the actual TOEFL.

This will help you to get accustomed to the noisy ETS environment so it doesn't come as a total shock when you have to take the test.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: My TOEFL experience-- 100/120   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2014, 04:07

My TOEFL experience-- 100/120

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: carcass