Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 540 Q41 V23
GMAT 3: 610 Q39 V35
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [2]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Marketing
Send PM
Re: My Undoing Persists! - 610(Q39, V35) - 3rd attempt [#permalink]
BigNasty wrote:
Hey Everybody,

Foreword: A long and depressing debrief follows. Be warned! :)
In the late month of March I retook my GMAT and much to my anguish, my score dropped from 630(Q41,V29) to 540(Q41, V23). This left me in psychologically incapacitated. Post this horrendous performance of mine, I took a break for 1.5 months wherein I abstained from GMAT related studies. In the month of May, I decided to give another shot at GMAT and used the below materials for studies.

Study Materials:

Quant:MGMAT books (revised). Advanced GMAT Quant (Purchased the kindle version).

Verbal: E-GMAT (SC), MGMAT – SC, Aristotle CR bible.
Other stuff: OG 12th edition, OG Verbal review, GMAT prep pack, SC and CR – GMAT prep compiled.
Well, with the above materials I started off by brushing my quant basics. This time, however, I did not dedicate individual months for Quant and Verbal as I had done in my previous attempt. I dedicated equal studying time for both quant and verbal.

Quant: For the most part of my quant preparation, I revisited the basics, and reviewed my notes on quant. Post this, I worked on the Manhattan Advanced GMAT Quant. The questions although seem overwhelming are for the most part doable. But, I did take my own sweet time to solve them. My thought was to achieve the ability to reason and solve the problems. On completion of the Advanced GMAT Quant, I attempted GMAT prep pack in timed condition. My accuracy for the easy and medium difficulty questions was around 90%. For the ‘Hard’ category questions, my accuracy was around 80%.

Verbal:

E-gmat (SC):
On enrolling for the e-gmat SC course, I went through all the lessons and the UGE (User generated exercise). The course is exceedingly well structured and the exercises help to imbibe the concepts very well. I’ve learnt a great deal from this course especially the Verbing and Verb-ed modifiers, AS vs Like, Conditional verb tenses to name a few. In my previous attempt, I remember screwing up a verb tense related question involving the usage of would/will. This time, however, I was able to nail a similar question. And, this I attribute solely to e-gmat SC.

RC – Only strategy I followed for RC was to read through the entire passage with undivided attention and paraphrase after each paragraph. This helps especially for questions such as ‘Primary purpose of the passage’ and ‘Why does the author include the 2nd para’. Well, for the most part the only passages I had practiced are from the practice CATs.

CR – Revised the Aristotle bible and the notes I had prepared, and did questions from OG and Prep pack.
In the month of July I started taking the practice CATs from MGMAT and GPREP (V2.0).
I feel really miserable contemplating my current state, despite my near good performance in my practice tests, as my practice scores ranged from 690-730 in the MGMAT CATs. All the CATs were taken simulating the actual test scenario with IR and AWA.
My GPrep scores were: GPrep 1: 710(Q48,V40) and Gprep2: 710(Q48, V40) – Prep 2 taken a day before my GMAT.
Well, 25th was my GMAT test day. As the place I live in doesn’t host a test center, I had to travel the day before and I did not prepare much on the last day. During my previous attempt, I had a morning appointment and the lack of sleep was the buzzkill (I presume). So, I had booked for a noon appointment. But, just like last time, I found it difficult to sleep and the only sleep I could muster was from 530 AM to 9:00 AM.  Nevertheless, I got up, had a quick breakfast and did 10 quant problems from OG and got 3 of them incorrect. Felling a bit low, I left for the test center. I left early as it takes 2 hrs to reach any goddamn place in this damned city (Bangalore) and as I had to commute via bus.

The Exam:

AWA: Pretty much nailed the essay, thanks to chineseburned.

IR: This section was way simpler than the ones in MGMAT – CATs.

Quant: After taking the 8 min break, I sat in to face the music. I had a real bad feeling about the quant section. First question was on a distributing tickets ratio wise. I spent a good 2 mins and answered it correctly. Second question ensued, this was fairly easy too. Third question was rather tricky, I guess I screwed it as the ensuing question was easy. Experience dictates that the test has to get difficult hereon. But, that did not happen.. :( 11th question was where I completely lost my confidence as the question asked me to substitute ‘Y’ in a linear equation and get the value for ‘X’. well, I did face few tricky questions, but I had no clue as to how to go about those questions. These questions were particularly DS type and category geometry, inequalities, and number properties. By the time I was done with the quant, I knew I had bombed the GMAT yet again! :(

Verbal: Although I felt downright depressed after my quant, I mustered up some confidence and went in to face the verbal. Much to my surprise, I was able to answer the SC and RC questions with ease. CR, however had closely contesting options and I never felt at ease choosing the correct option. At the fag end of the verbal section, I was losing out on time and I had to blindly choose an option for the last 4 questions.
Well, when the screen report or cancel the scores popped, I even thought of cancelling my scores as I expected around 530-560. Much to my surprise, I had breached the 600 with a 35 in verbal!!. Although the V35 bought a warm feeling inside me, the Q39 reminded me of how miserable I’ve become in quant.

Guys my confidence has been shattered into infinitesimal pieces. I need your valuable insight into the following queries.

a) I shall be applying for the fall 2013 admissions with my first score of 630. And, the universities that I’ll be applying for have the average GMAT in the range of 620-640. Will my 2 despicable retake scores hinder my chances?

b) Am caught up in a mental predicament regarding re-take. What are your suggestions on a re-take.

c) If ‘Yes’ for ‘B’, can anyone provide me a convincing insight into my screw up in quant. Surely the ‘47’ I got the first time wasn’t a fluke :( (or was it?).

I shall deeply appreciate your views and suggestions.

Cheers,
Big ‘screw up’ Nasty!

Hi

Suggest you give it another shot.. Score can differ depending on state of mind you are in while giving the exam.

All the best :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 570 Q45 V23
GMAT 2: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V37
Send PM
buddy i feel for you.
but instead of feeling dejected and shattered, u must take respite that if you add up the highest of the Q & V i.e. Q>47 & V>35, you end up with a 670!! And mind it, no score on real GMAT is a fluke, if you have reached once there, u can always reach there, as the test is designed such that no any other random guy can succeed just on the basis of fluke.
so it's time to gather your bits and analyze deeply, where r u getting it wrong , formulate a strategy and dive deep in the GMAT ocean.
Remember "You are destined to win if you doesn't know to loose"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1175 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Schools:IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
 Q47  V26 GMAT 2: 540  Q45  V19 GMAT 3: 580  Q48  V23
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Send PM
Infact I am in same boat bro!!!

I have attempted GMAT 3 times. The scores are {600 (Q47, V 26), 540 (Q45, V 19)taken in end 2010} and the recent one 580 (Q48, V23) {taken on 25th July 2012}

I have devoted 6 months of study for the last GMAT preparation. Before exam i took MGMAT test and scored as follows.

GMAT prep1.0 1: 650 (48, 32)
MGMAT 2 : 690 (46,38)
MGMAT 3 : 680 (47, 36)
MGMAT 4: 670 (46, 35) (Taken at office)
MGMAT 5: 710 (49, 38)
MGMAT 6: 720 (47, 41)

GMAT prep2.0 1: 700 (48,38) IR 5
GMAT Prep2.0 2: 680 (48,35) IR 8
GMAT prep2.0 Retake 720 (50,37) IR 7

All mock test taken in official condition with 8 mins break and attempted AWA & IR seriously.

Need help to improve my verbal score. During last exam i felt difficulty in comprehending 3 RCs (all from topics like humanities and american history)

**** I had a sleepless night and my xam was scheduled at 9.00AM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Send PM
narangvaibhav wrote:
BigNasty wrote:
Hey Everybody,

Foreword: A long and depressing debrief follows. Be warned! :)
In the late month of March I retook my GMAT and much to my anguish, my score dropped from 630(Q41,V29) to 540(Q41, V23). This left me in psychologically incapacitated. Post this horrendous performance of mine, I took a break for 1.5 months wherein I abstained from GMAT related studies. In the month of May, I decided to give another shot at GMAT and used the below materials for studies.

Study Materials:

Quant:MGMAT books (revised). Advanced GMAT Quant (Purchased the kindle version).

Verbal: E-GMAT (SC), MGMAT – SC, Aristotle CR bible.
Other stuff: OG 12th edition, OG Verbal review, GMAT prep pack, SC and CR – GMAT prep compiled.
Well, with the above materials I started off by brushing my quant basics. This time, however, I did not dedicate individual months for Quant and Verbal as I had done in my previous attempt. I dedicated equal studying time for both quant and verbal.

Quant: For the most part of my quant preparation, I revisited the basics, and reviewed my notes on quant. Post this, I worked on the Manhattan Advanced GMAT Quant. The questions although seem overwhelming are for the most part doable. But, I did take my own sweet time to solve them. My thought was to achieve the ability to reason and solve the problems. On completion of the Advanced GMAT Quant, I attempted GMAT prep pack in timed condition. My accuracy for the easy and medium difficulty questions was around 90%. For the ‘Hard’ category questions, my accuracy was around 80%.

Verbal:

E-gmat (SC):
On enrolling for the e-gmat SC course, I went through all the lessons and the UGE (User generated exercise). The course is exceedingly well structured and the exercises help to imbibe the concepts very well. I’ve learnt a great deal from this course especially the Verbing and Verb-ed modifiers, AS vs Like, Conditional verb tenses to name a few. In my previous attempt, I remember screwing up a verb tense related question involving the usage of would/will. This time, however, I was able to nail a similar question. And, this I attribute solely to e-gmat SC.

RC – Only strategy I followed for RC was to read through the entire passage with undivided attention and paraphrase after each paragraph. This helps especially for questions such as ‘Primary purpose of the passage’ and ‘Why does the author include the 2nd para’. Well, for the most part the only passages I had practiced are from the practice CATs.

CR – Revised the Aristotle bible and the notes I had prepared, and did questions from OG and Prep pack.
In the month of July I started taking the practice CATs from MGMAT and GPREP (V2.0).
I feel really miserable contemplating my current state, despite my near good performance in my practice tests, as my practice scores ranged from 690-730 in the MGMAT CATs. All the CATs were taken simulating the actual test scenario with IR and AWA.
My GPrep scores were: GPrep 1: 710(Q48,V40) and Gprep2: 710(Q48, V40) – Prep 2 taken a day before my GMAT.
Well, 25th was my GMAT test day. As the place I live in doesn’t host a test center, I had to travel the day before and I did not prepare much on the last day. During my previous attempt, I had a morning appointment and the lack of sleep was the buzzkill (I presume). So, I had booked for a noon appointment. But, just like last time, I found it difficult to sleep and the only sleep I could muster was from 530 AM to 9:00 AM.  Nevertheless, I got up, had a quick breakfast and did 10 quant problems from OG and got 3 of them incorrect. Felling a bit low, I left for the test center. I left early as it takes 2 hrs to reach any goddamn place in this damned city (Bangalore) and as I had to commute via bus.

The Exam:

AWA: Pretty much nailed the essay, thanks to chineseburned.

IR: This section was way simpler than the ones in MGMAT – CATs.

Quant: After taking the 8 min break, I sat in to face the music. I had a real bad feeling about the quant section. First question was on a distributing tickets ratio wise. I spent a good 2 mins and answered it correctly. Second question ensued, this was fairly easy too. Third question was rather tricky, I guess I screwed it as the ensuing question was easy. Experience dictates that the test has to get difficult hereon. But, that did not happen.. :( 11th question was where I completely lost my confidence as the question asked me to substitute ‘Y’ in a linear equation and get the value for ‘X’. well, I did face few tricky questions, but I had no clue as to how to go about those questions. These questions were particularly DS type and category geometry, inequalities, and number properties. By the time I was done with the quant, I knew I had bombed the GMAT yet again! :(

Verbal: Although I felt downright depressed after my quant, I mustered up some confidence and went in to face the verbal. Much to my surprise, I was able to answer the SC and RC questions with ease. CR, however had closely contesting options and I never felt at ease choosing the correct option. At the fag end of the verbal section, I was losing out on time and I had to blindly choose an option for the last 4 questions.
Well, when the screen report or cancel the scores popped, I even thought of cancelling my scores as I expected around 530-560. Much to my surprise, I had breached the 600 with a 35 in verbal!!. Although the V35 bought a warm feeling inside me, the Q39 reminded me of how miserable I’ve become in quant.

Guys my confidence has been shattered into infinitesimal pieces. I need your valuable insight into the following queries.

a) I shall be applying for the fall 2013 admissions with my first score of 630. And, the universities that I’ll be applying for have the average GMAT in the range of 620-640. Will my 2 despicable retake scores hinder my chances?

b) Am caught up in a mental predicament regarding re-take. What are your suggestions on a re-take.

c) If ‘Yes’ for ‘B’, can anyone provide me a convincing insight into my screw up in quant. Surely the ‘47’ I got the first time wasn’t a fluke :( (or was it?).

I shall deeply appreciate your views and suggestions.

Cheers,
Big ‘screw up’ Nasty!

Hi

Suggest you give it another shot.. Score can differ depending on state of mind you are in while giving the exam.

All the best :)

Hey Vaibhav,

If it were my 3rd attempt, i would have certainly considered a re-take. Currently, am researching a bit on my target B-schools and will decide in a couple of days on retaking. It really is a tough call to make, considering the deadlines are fast approaching and my GMAT history doesn't look promising for a 4th attempt. Word is multiple attempts hurt one's chances at getting admitted? Is this a myth or a real fact?

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
paras123 wrote:
buddy i feel for you.
but instead of feeling dejected and shattered, u must take respite that if you add up the highest of the Q & V i.e. Q>47 & V>35, you end up with a 670!! And mind it, no score on real GMAT is a fluke, if you have reached once there, u can always reach there, as the test is designed such that no any other random guy can succeed just on the basis of fluke.
so it's time to gather your bits and analyze deeply, where r u getting it wrong , formulate a strategy and dive deep in the GMAT ocean.

Hey paras123,

Thanks for the comforting words bro. yeah, i guess i will give my re-take a careful thought.
Are you targeting the fall '13 admissions?

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 570 Q45 V23
GMAT 2: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V37
Send PM
BigNasty wrote:
paras123 wrote:
buddy i feel for you.

Hey paras123,

Thanks for the comforting words bro. yeah, i guess i will give my re-take a careful thought.

Cheers!

yup, targeting the fall'13 with upcoming gmat on 7th of next month. hope this time i will be able to break the shackles
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SOURH7WK wrote:
Infact I am in same boat bro!!!

I have attempted GMAT 3 times. The scores are {600 (Q47, V 26), 540 (Q45, V 19)taken in end 2010} and the recent one 580 (Q48, V23) {taken on 25th July 2012}

I have devoted 6 months of study for the last GMAT preparation. Before exam i took MGMAT test and scored as follows.

GMAT prep1.0 1: 650 (48, 32)
MGMAT 2 : 690 (46,38)
MGMAT 3 : 680 (47, 36)
MGMAT 4: 670 (46, 35) (Taken at office)
MGMAT 5: 710 (49, 38)
MGMAT 6: 720 (47, 41)

GMAT prep2.0 1: 700 (48,38) IR 5
GMAT Prep2.0 2: 680 (48,35) IR 8
GMAT prep2.0 Retake 720 (50,37) IR 7

All mock test taken in official condition with 8 mins break and attempted AWA & IR seriously.

Need help to improve my verbal score. During last exam i felt difficulty in comprehending 3 RCs (all from topics like humanities and american history)

**** I had a sleepless night and my xam was scheduled at 9.00AM

Hey SOURH7WK,

I totally empathize you bro. :( Looks like you will be taking another shot at GMAT. Do schedule an evening or an afternoon slot, this time. MGMAT verbal scores are meant to be taken at face value. But, from your practice scores you've averaged 35 on GPREP. Was this due to your prior familiarity with the questions? If you're finding difficulties in SC, i would recommend e-gmat SC course. As for the RC part, articles in WSJ, Nytimes and The Economist closely mimic the GMAT language. you might wanna try reading an article or two from your least favorite sections and try paraphrasing everything you read.

Hope that helps.
Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
paras123 wrote:
BigNasty wrote:
paras123 wrote:
buddy i feel for you.

Hey paras123,

Cheers!

yup, targeting the fall'13 with upcoming gmat on 7th of next month. hope this time i will be able to break the shackles

Hey,

yeah, wish you the mighty best bro. :) hope you get your desired score.

Cheers!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Buddy,
First and foremost, I must congratulate you for the huge leap in verbal and i believe that had you not guessed the last 4 questions, your score would have been around 40 in verbal. Kudos to you for improving the verbal score. The jump in verbal clearly reflects that you have the potential to improve your score provided you follow the right approach and the right material and that is exactly what you did in verbal.
As far as quant is concerned, i think you can easily score around 47 on any given day and you can see your practice scores to see the authenticity of my statement. However, probably You got anxious and distracted about the difficulty level of the questions and thus the drop in performance. We know that gmatprep tests are the most accurate judge of our likely performance and i strongly feel that if you give a practice gmatprep on any day and any hour of the day, you will achieve at least 7-8 points higher than what you achieved on the test day.
You have got a comfort level with SC and RC. What if you get the same comfort level with CR, then probably you would spend less time and thus not guess during the end part. I think the most difficult part in gmat preparation for the non natives is the language part. Now that you have got the comfort with the language, your goal to achieve a 700+ score has become much much easier than earlier times. I mean i scored a 49 in quant and i will go with that confidence when i retake. It matters i feel. Since you have nailed the difficult part of the beast, i feel you should retake because you are so close to the finish line.
Moreover, kindly run an assessment report of all your tests and find out the grey areas. You can also flash it here to get the view of the instructors. Turn ur weaknesses into strong fort. It's difficult but not impossible. You mentioned in ur previous debrief that you are not so strong in probability and some more stuff. Kindly read the formulaes/concepts and fundamental principle concerning these topics. Thereafter, do tons of tons of problem on these topics exclusively ,one topic at a time. repeat the same for all the topics in quant that are troubling you. Do more of DS problems and less of PS. I feel that doing so will do wonders in quant. I think we all are convinced in our mind that improvement in quant is not as difficult as that in verbal.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1175 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Schools:IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
 Q47  V26 GMAT 2: 540  Q45  V19 GMAT 3: 580  Q48  V23
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Send PM
Thanks BigNasty!!!

In Gmatprep2.0 my experience was totally diff. In 1st exam : I got 700 (Q48,V38) 17 Q wrong and 15 Verbal wrong (2 RC, 7SC, 6CR)
in 2nd one : I got 12 Q wrong and 10 Verbal wrong (RC 5, SC 2, CR 3)
Almost like 95% Questions I have never seen before.

By the way i enrolled in e-gmat Verbal course. Lets see!!! Started reading articles from Harvard Magazine.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SOURH7WK wrote:
Thanks BigNasty!!!

In Gmatprep2.0 my experience was totally diff. In 1st exam : I got 700 (Q48,V38) 17 Q wrong and 15 Verbal wrong (2 RC, 7SC, 6CR)
in 2nd one : I got 12 Q wrong and 10 Verbal wrong (RC 5, SC 2, CR 3)
Almost like 95% Questions I have never seen before.

By the way i enrolled in e-gmat Verbal course. Lets see!!! Started reading articles from Harvard Magazine.

Hey SOURH7WK,

That's good to know man. Leave no stone Un-turned. Wish you the best.

Cheers! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT Date: 05-26-2012
WE:Supply Chain Management (Health Care)
Send PM
I'm with you bud. I'm in a similar boat getting 600 on 1st attempt and going down to 570 on 2nd...total buzz kill. Not only do you study more but the GMAT gives you the middle finger by scoring you worse! Anyway, I recommend, as I am, go for a thrice attempt. What's most frustrating, as you know, is that you don't figure out what you did wrong on the real exam as you do on the practice exams. I was getting 700+ on MGMAT and couldn't believe my eyes when I got the 570. Keep us posted.

3rd time's a charm!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dmk112 wrote:
I'm with you bud. I'm in a similar boat getting 600 on 1st attempt and going down to 570 on 2nd...total buzz kill. Not only do you study more but the GMAT gives you the middle finger by scoring you worse! Anyway, I recommend, as I am, go for a thrice attempt. What's most frustrating, as you know, is that you don't figure out what you did wrong on the real exam as you do on the practice exams. I was getting 700+ on MGMAT and couldn't believe my eyes when I got the 570. Keep us posted.

3rd time's a charm!

Yeah, i know the feeling man. :(

On an off-topic note, I wanna quote Alfred from Batman: Why do we fall, sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up.

Cheers! :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AbhiJ wrote:
https://www.urch.com/forums/just-finished-my-gmat/71815-720-gmat-500-720-q48-v41-95-a.html

"The question you should ask yourselves is: Am I willing to do whatever it takes, even after falling 3 times, to get the score that I want? If your answer is no, that's fine. If you're answer is yes, I look forward to reading your debrief once you cross that hurdle. It's a great feeling to see all of the hard work and sacrafice pay off. Continue to work hard because if you don't, there will be someone like me steadily gaining ground on you. We have the potential to knock this test, but sometimes it takes a person who began at the very bottom to succeed for us to realize it. Go after your dreams TMians."

Hey Abhi,

That really is something..! Thanks for posting.. I couldn't have read something like that at a better moment.

Cheers!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts