GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2019, 11:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Nanyang MBA Admissions and Related Blogs

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
CHAMPIONS of the John Molson Case Competition 2019  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2019, 00:00
FROM Nanyang Admissions Blog: CHAMPIONS of the John Molson Case Competition 2019
Reflections on the John Molson Case Competition by (L to R) Liao Minghao, Victor Han, Daniela Pillhofer and Vishnu Prasad. Nanyang MBA, Class of 2019. 

What motivated you to join this case competition?

It started with Prof. Vijay Sethi’s sharing of the competition in class. We quickly realised that the opportunity to participate at the JM Case Competition would provide an occasion to test our skills in an intense environment, thus making it a great learning experience. For Minghao, for example, it was also tempting to test whether he could succeed in a business competition despite coming from a military background. We certainly loved a good challenge at a global scope and envisioned the competition as a platform to build on essential employment skills, such as thinking on one’s feet, presentation skills and case analysis – which is a must-have for a consulting career, which Victor envisions to take on.

What was the competition like? How many rounds were there? What were you tasked to do? How much time did you have/spend preparing for the challenge?

The competition comprised 36 teams representing Universities from 20 different countries. Teams were divided into 6 divisions with 6 teams each. In total, there were 5 pre-rounds after which the 6 division winners and the 3 best second-scorers across all divisions would proceed to the semi-finals. The 9 semi-finalists then competed for the 3 spots in the finals, thus making us solve 7 cases in total. In each round, we had to tackle a business case. In most rounds we had 3 hours to read, analyse and solve the case, including preparing our presentation. One round was a short-case, for which the time was reduced to 90 minutes. For the live case, which represented one of the week’s highlights, we had 120 minutes for preparation following 90 minutes of a company’s case presentation live on stage. Presentations lasted for 25 minutes. Judges, which consisted of a panel of 5 executives, then had 15 minutes for Q&A. Each round saw the team pitted against another team head-to-head. Our team was formed on 18 October 2018 and we spent a total of 40 hours in active practice, that is, we solved 8 cases together in Singapore before travelling to Montreal.

Understand that this competition is the oldest and toughest global case competition in the world, what were some of the challenges you faced during this competition?

The time constraints were certainly a big challenge. Not only did we have limited time to familiarise ourselves with our respective work styles, but also did we have limited time to solve a case and prepare our recommendations. In this aspect team work was key and understanding everyone’s strengths but also weak points, was crucial. During our preparation time, we experimented with different team roles at first, but after the 3rd case, we agreed on defining every one’s roles clearly. As a team, we brainstormed and decided on the problems underlying the case and the solutions we would want to suggest. Yet, moving on from there, every single person had to take ownership in a specific direction. To exemplify, Daniela took the lead on the presentation and risk management; Minghao and Victor focused on our strategies’ implementation plan and Vishnu “owned” the financials. As we progressed to the semi-finals, fatigue set in and pushing through feelings of exhaustion posed a great challenge as well. Yet, we knew that we had to step up the game. We had to speed-up on our ideas generation, increase the amount of content we wanted to present, and come up with better stories that frame our presentation. Only due to maintaining vivid communication as a team and blindly understanding each other’s skills and boundaries, we managed to improve from case to case. Finally, our respective value propositions, which neatly complemented another, fully shined through.

What were some lessons learnt from taking part in the competition?

The sum is always greater than its parts. While all of us are from different backgrounds and nationalities, we understood that through transparent communication of one’s strengths and weaknesses, implicit barriers for cooperation can be overcome. We turned our challenging diversity into a strength – coming up with more ideas, opinions, working styles and stories. That said, diversity is key to success. Finally, it is very important to believe in oneself, irrespective of whether one already excels in a skill or one only starts making one’s first steps in a particular area. The right attitude can make a big difference. And importantly, nothing can beat a great story. We all love storytelling, don’t we?

Did what you learnt during Nanyang MBA programme help in any way in this competition?

Certainly, some frameworks taught in classes were essential to our success. But even more importantly, our leadership classes were crucial to turning us into a winning team. Before we started working together, we were already sensitive to differing working styles and cultures and thus, were mentally prepared to adapt and compromise. Also, managing time under tight deadlines, which is common in our MBA programme, was very helpful. And of course, it was beneficial that we are used to giving presentations due to the MBA curriculum we currently enjoy. Finally, since the topic of “disruption” was guiding this year’s John Molson case competition, the learnings and insights from our Technology & E-business classes with Prof. Vijay Sethi proved being invaluable to encouraging us to think outside of the box.

Any tips for fellow MBA participants who are interested in taking part in this competition in the future?

The John Molson case competition certainly is a once in a lifetime opportunity to test one’s skills on a global, very competitive stage. We were very impressed by the quality of teams there and having managed to take the victory home to Singapore, is a great boost for our confidence. That said, anyone willing to take part in this competition should know that is a very time-intensive commitment and one only gets as much out of it, as one is willing to put in. If you decide to take part, approach it with an open-mind and always be open to pivot your ideas, guided by your team. Prepare early and prepare consistently. Embrace this opportunity and give it your all. Bond with your team and understand how you tick during time pressure. You cannot plan out everything, but you need to be ready to plan for everything – on the spot. Above all, enjoy it and share the John Molson spirit!

To find out more about the Nanyang MBA programme please visit our website
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Manager
Manager
MBA Olympics 2019  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2019, 00:00
FROM Nanyang Admissions Blog: MBA Olympics 2019
Article contributed by Abhishek Bhardwaj, Nanyang MBA Class of 2019 .

The 9th edition of the annual MBA Olympics was held on January 20, 2019. It is the marquee event of the Nanyang Business School, Nanyang Technological University calendar where business schools from across Singapore come together to compete across various sports while supporting charitable causes.

Multiple teams from schools like National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore Management University (SMU), SP Jain School of Global Management, ESSEC and INSEAD congregated to support the cause of Special Olympics. Special Olympics is a global inclusion movement using sport, health, education and leadership programs every day around the world to end discrimination against and empower, people with intellectual disabilities. Its Singapore chapter is affiliated with the National Council of Social Services and the Singapore National Olympic Council.

The theme for this year’s Olympics was Stronger Together, showcasing unity in diversity, competing while working towards the common goal of supporting a noble cause. The schools competed across sports like Football, Basketball, Badminton, Table Tennis, Swimming, Chess and Track. Every participant and organizer braved the sweltering Singapore heat to keep things running smoothly, cheer for their friends and win for their school.

The cause was ably supported by generous sponsors like Casio, Fullerton Hotel, Milo, Red Bull, Aviva and Zouk. NUS won the overall trophy while it was heartening to see the Special Olympics team win the Badminton event. At the end of the day, an amount of $3000 was donated to the Special Olympics cause, strengthening Nanyang Business School’s determination in supporting worthy causes.

All in all, it was a great day highlighting the need to give your all on the field while making friends off it.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Manager
Manager
PMBA PIONEER COHORT SERIES: (3) EXPERIENCE BY ABDUL AZIZ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2019, 02:00
FROM Nanyang Admissions Blog: PMBA PIONEER COHORT SERIES: (3) EXPERIENCE BY ABDUL AZIZ
Abdul Aziz Bin Mohamed Faizal, Assistant Vice President, Barclays Singapore, PMBA Class of 2019
Q: Tell us more about yourself.

A: I’m a business manager for technology in APAC and Singapore. Basically, my role encompasses managing the headcount in APAC region – Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore and specific regions in India – and see if we can share resources in order to lower business cost. I also deal with the location strategy for these regions as well. Personal-wise, I’m pretty much a family guy. My wife and I love travelling, and we try to have at least one or two vacations a year. I also enjoy boxing and football.

Q: Other than work, what were you busy with before you embarked on the Nanyang Professional MBA?

A: Before the PMBA, I had more weekends available – so I would volunteer at tuition agency which partners with Yayasan Mendaki, a Malay-Muslim NGO. They provide tuition programmes to underprivileged students and I’m the head tutor. I like to contribute to the society and I felt one of the best ways is through teaching.

Q: How are things now that you’re a participant in the Nanyang PMBA programme?

A: Prior to the course, I had a discussion with my manager about embarking on the PMBA and he was very supportive. I requested if he could ease up my work commitments a little during the course and he agreed. This helped me tremendously in balancing work and study. I will share with him what I learned in the programme when I go back to work and he will expose me to projects that I can apply what I learnt in the course.

Q: How does your wife feel about you taking up this programme? Do you still have enough time to spend with each other?

A: She was very supportive. She is a very independent woman. In fact, I can’t do as well as her in most things, for example, planning our vacations.

Q: Have you thought about pursuing an MBA overseas?

A: I chose to pursue it here because of the strong rankings of our local institutions. And the reputation of NTU’s MBA will attract a very high-quality cohort.

Q: What would you say are the strengths of the PMBA programme?

A: One of the highlights of the PMBA is that it is a weekend programme. It is custom-made for working professionals compared to most part-time programmes where classes are on weekday evenings. This format allows us to get full attention from the school, and we can also be more deeply immersed in the programme. The faculty are really very strong. Also, a huge part of learning comes from my cohort. Their sharing and inputs helped me to grasp the concepts and gain clarity on the topics learned in the programme.

Q: So is the network just as important as what you are learning?

A: Yes. My classmates come from diverse industries and functions. For example, we have participants from industries like airlines, pharmaceutical/life sciences, education, finance, etc. Each of them offers different perspectives on a specific topic and I think I wouldn’t be able to get that if I didn’t join the programme.

Q: What are your major milestones and achievements in life? It doesn’t have to be related to work.

A: I was never really an “A” grade student. I pursued my degree in a private tertiary education, yet I managed to earn the Gold Award which meant I was top in my cohort of about 2,000 students. It’s an achievement that I hold dearly to. It was the first time I proved to myself that I could actually achieve something if I set my mind to it.

Q: Any other major milestones that you’re proud of?

A: Being accepted into NTU’s PMBA programme. Some might not think of it as a milestone, but I think it’s something not to be taken lightly. And if I could add, I joined Macquarie, an Australian bank as an associate and after one year of being in the company, I was the only associate to be able to approve payments up to one million Australian dollars.

Q: What are your core values?

A: Loyalty and honesty. Honesty is important because if one is dishonest, it will be difficult to gain others’ trust. It is not easy to be honest or ethical all the time, but there are long-term benefits of being so.

Q: How about loyalty?

A: For example, my current and previous managers gave me opportunities to shine and helped me with my promotion. Many think that after I graduate from the PMBA, I will leave the company but I wouldn’t because my current manager was very supportive of me taking up this programme. Every time there was a weekend class, I would take one day of leave to recharge and I had my manager’s blessing. So it’s not just about me alone reaping the rewards. With the knowledge and skill sets I gain from the PMBA, I believe I will become a better asset to the company, and that indirectly benefits him as well.

Q: What do you take pride most in your work?

A: I always look at how I can contribute to the bottom line of the company. Though I’m not in sales, I look at how my actions and decisions can help the profitability of the business.

Q: What are your current goals and vision, and where do you see yourself in five to ten years’ time?

A: Upon completing the PMBA, I hope to leverage it to further my career to the next level which is to become a Vice-President (VP) and get a wider portfolio, hopefully a global role. But that is only the career perspective. Personally, I’d like to be more involved in the community like how I was before, and I would look for opportunities where I can contribute. One of the principles I learned is that – don’t look at those who are given more but look at those who are given less. That drives me, because if I can help one person, even if it’s just one person, it matters to them and could make a huge difference.

To find out more about the Nanyang PMBA programme, please visit our website
Manager
Manager
MBA Alumni on the Nanyang-Waseda and working at Microsoft Japan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2019, 20:00
FROM Nanyang Admissions Blog: MBA Alumni on the Nanyang-Waseda and working at Microsoft Japan
“Work hard, play hard and be insatiably curious”: Class of 2018 Graduate, Leo Tan on the Nanyang-Waseda Double MBA and working at Microsoft Japan. 

As an undergraduate studying applied chemistry, Leo Tan never imagined that he would eventually work at tech giant Microsoft as an operations deal manager.

After obtaining his bachelor’s degree, he filled roles in sales and business development at two Japanese companies. His jobs allowed him to travel extensively and work in countries such as Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia, India and Japan. But he longed for something more.

“I had immense cultural exposure, but everything was happening so rapidly. I wanted to take some time off to consolidate what I had learnt and do that in a structured environment where I could also get a business education,” says Leo.

He decided to further his studies by enrolling in the Nanyang-Waseda Double MBA programme. A collaboration between Nanyang Business School and Waseda Business School, the 14-month programme equips its participants with an understanding of both global business and technology management.

Participants learn from Nanyang and Waseda professors both in Singapore and Japan.

The programme appealed to Leo, as he was interested in technology and proficient in Japanese, having worked as a translator and Business English teacher to Japanese adults.

The Nanyang-Waseda Double MBA has helped him to develop a deeper appreciation for the various perspectives of people from different cultures, industries and socio-economic backgrounds.

“The opportunity to mix around with international classmates from all over the world has really expanded my horizons. One of my biggest takeaways from the programme was being able to learn and experience how everybody brought their own strengths, weaknesses and personal experiences to the table,” says Leo, who works at Microsoft’s Tokyo office under the firm’s Aspire Experience graduate programme. He completed his Double MBA last September.

In addition, the highly interactive nature of the Double MBA programme allowed him to exchange ideas frequently with his classmates. “That really made me realise how there can be many perspectives towards one issue. It’s not necessarily about which perspective is right or wrong. It’s just different, and we have to learn to respect that.”

Through the programme, Leo also recognised the importance of being humble and grateful for learning opportunities, and to leverage them. He represented Nanyang Business School in competitions such as last year’s John Molson MBA International Case Competition in Montreal, where his team made it to the semi-finals.

“These competitions allowed me to refine and hone my skills to look at problems in a more structured way,” says Leo, who adds that the programme has both a high calibre of people and content.

The content he learnt, coupled with the interpersonal skills he picked up and continues to develop, have helped him in his current role. “My main takeaway from the Double MBA is the flexibility of thought and the humility to recognise that multiple perspectives exist.”

Besides these, the programme allowed him to build long-lasting relationships with his classmates due to its small class size. The modules were also very relevant as the faculty ensured that the course content was constantly updated, he adds.

Reflecting on his time in Japan during the programme, he recalls his site visits to established companies such as a 500-year-old Japanese dessert company (Toraya Confectionery), an oil and gas conglomerate (JXTG), an electronics multinational corporation (Panasonic) and Tokyo Disneyland theme park operator (Oriental Land). “We had the rare opportunity to gain a wide breadth of perspective from various fields such as entertainment, oil & gas and technology.”

Leo advises future MBA participants to “work hard, play hard and be insatiably curious” — It’s cliché, but the reason why it is cliché is because it’s true, he explains.

“School is a safe environment to make mistakes. In the industry, it’s a different ball game. So go in with an open mind and be curious about everything. Make great friends along the way. And have fun!”
Manager
Manager
Impact Investing Panel  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2019, 02:00
FROM Nanyang Admissions Blog: Impact Investing Panel
Article contributed by Yuching Chang

On the evening of Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 24 students from the Nanyang MBA, Fellows MBA, and MSc Accountancy programs attended the impact investing panel discussion hosted by the Nanyang MBA Social Impact Business Club at the MBA Lounge. The event started off with a buffet dinner that was highlighted by the crowd favourite chocolate brownies. This was then followed by the panel discussion moderated by Club Co-Chair, Cheryl Tam. The three panelists came from all walks of life and offered diverse perspectives:

1.       Yinglock Chan, Senior Director of Investments, Garden Impact Investments and Nanyang MBA alumnus

2.       Mark Sayer, Impact Investment Manager, raiSE and CFO, Asia Venture Philanthropy Network

3.       Susan Sy, Executive Director, Head of Family & Philanthropy, Asia Pacific UBS AG

The first half of the panel discussion focused on understanding what is impact investing and its emerging trends. As suggested by Yinglock, imagine if you have a ruler in front of you. At one end is pure social (i.e. traditional philanthropy) and at the other end is pure profit (i.e. traditional investing). Somewhere in between is where impact investing lies because any investments made into organizations or funds must generate measurable social, environmental, and financial return. From UBS’s point of view, Susan noted that there are three main ways to invest sustainably: exclusion of assets from investment portfolios that don’t reflect investors’ values; integration of ESG (environmental, social, and governance) factors in investments to improve returns and reduce risks; and impact investing to generate measurable environmental and social impact with financial return. Mark then added that with the recent proliferation of young social entrepreneurs, impact investors use the 80/20 rule to evaluate investment opportunities with social enterprises, which highlights the importance of a solid business model (80%) and the metrics for impact (20%).

The second half of the panel discussion focused on understanding how to pursue a career in the field of impact investing. While the general consensus amongst the panelists is that the sector in Singapore is small compared to Europe, the good news is that it is growing. A basic level of understanding of finance is important, but a passion for the field is crucial to maintaining the motivation to overcome the rainy days. Furthermore, in order to break into the small and competitive field, one has to be open to different opportunities in the impact investing ecosystem by exploring careers in impact investing management, social enterprises, intermediaries, etc. So don’t fret if you don’t have a degree or experience in finance, you can still have a successful career in impact investing, especially if you already know something about the 17 SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals). You are on the way to the impact investing world!

Overall, this was a fantastic first event for the Social Impact Club. The feedback from the attendees were extremely positive and the panelists couldn’t be happier to share their words of wisdom. The event wouldn’t have been possible without the tremendous support of EXCO, GSCDO, and GSO. We look forward to bringing more engaging and insightful events in the future – stay tuned!

Manager
Manager
Beach Cleaning Event  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2019, 02:00
FROM Nanyang Admissions Blog: Beach Cleaning Event
Article contributed by Pijarin Chotechaungmanirat

A dirty environment is a sign of social decay. A dirty environment especially in tourist destinations, not only affects the local people but also overall society as a whole. A dirty environment, definitely affects the country’s reputation negatively, hurts country economy and harms fitness and wellness of people in society.

With beach clean-up activities, participants get to experience how hard it is for cleaning staff to clean up the mess and think more about litter. The activity was seen by many people at the beach and posted on social media, which will raise awareness about clean environment.The beach clean-up activity was done under the consent of national environment agency. East Coast park is one of Singapore’s most treasured urban getaways and there are activities for everyone. Families and friends can sit back, relax and enjoy picnics. At East coast park, there are areas for jogging, aerobic exercising, drinking and socializing. National environment agency provides with the guidelines on beach clean-up procedures and are ready to support if we have any inquiry.

During the activity, participants were distributed into groups. Participants were provided full equipment to work on cleaning, and to separate the recycled and non-recycled trash. CSR club provided participants with black and white garbage bags, in which black is for general waste and white is for recycled waste including plastic bottles, plastic caps, metal can, metal cap, and glasses. Participants weren’t supposed to pick up natural objects such as fallen fruits, leaves, dead animal carcasses, driftwood, sea shells and sea weeds, as these are part of nature and nature will take care of them. In addition, CSR club also provided rubber gloves for everyone for hygiene and to protect their hands from sharp or any toxic objects. Insect repellents were also provided.Image

The length of clean-up process was 2 hours and the assigned area of our team responsibility was area C, which is 2 kilometers long. Our participants had to clean both the beach area and the park area. After participants finished cleaning, we met up at the meeting point, to distribute wet wipes and drinks, and talk about the result and effect of our activity. During the clean-up process, the local people joined in and helped by picking up the trash. Parents also educated their kids about what we were doing and local kids also helped out with the activities.The activity was a success. We got to do good thing together, give back to society and bring about awareness on clean environment. Even though, we were a small group of people but if we keep raising awareness and more people join in. Eventually our voice will reach everybody.

Manager
Manager
PMBA PIONEER COHORT SERIES: (3) EXPERIENCE BY LWIN LWIN AUNG  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2019, 21:00
FROM Nanyang Admissions Blog: PMBA PIONEER COHORT SERIES: (3) EXPERIENCE BY LWIN LWIN AUNG
Lwin Lwin Aung, Chief Financial Officer, ISOTeam Ltd, Class of 2019
Q: Tell us a little more about yourself.

A: I came from Myanmar to Singapore 14 years ago. I was originally planning to do my ACCA, a professional accounting qualification before doing an MBA but I changed my mind and went ahead to do a CPA instead. I was thinking of doing an MBA immediately after the CPA, but my parents advised me to gain more practical work experience before the MBA so that it’ll be easier to pick up things from the programme.

I’ve been with my current company for 6 years now as the CFO. In addition to the financial skills and knowledge that I already possess, I needed to have broader-based skill sets in business and management. That was when I started thinking that if I did an MBA, I would add more value to my organisation and if I decided to start a business in the future it would also benefit me tremendously.

Q: Why did you choose to pursue your MBA in Singapore?

A: Initially, I thought of pursuing my MBA in the UK, but I decided to stay in Singapore since I am already based here and could study part-time while continuing on in my career. There were a few local universities offering part-time MBAs. I decided on NTU because of its strong reputation and ranking, and the advantage of NTU’s part-time MBA, the Nanyang Professional MBA (PMBA), is the alternate weekend format. As a full-time working professional, I have heavy work responsibilities and the flexibility of this format allows me to manage work and study at the same time.

Q: Were there other universities or programmes that you applied to?

A: I didn’t apply to any other institutions. I had a very good impression of NTU, and I tried to find out more about the school through friends and alumni. After hearing from them and evaluating the different options out there, I set my mind on NTU and the PMBA.

Q: How has your experience in the PMBA programme been?

A: It trains me in two areas – time management and the ability to prioritise. My current portfolio includes finance and business expansion which is pretty heavy-duty. I have to prioritise what really matters and be more effective at work, so that I can have my evenings off for either personal time or to catch up on case readings and assignments. I’m thankful that I have a capable and supportive team – if not for them, I wouldn’t be able to manage.

Q: Has the programme benefitted you so far?

A: I saw the benefits just three months into the course. Our organisation was in the midst of negotiating a complicated business deal and we expected the success rate to be very slim. I immediately applied the principles taught and not only did we manage to close the deal smoothly, my CEO was so impressed that he appointed me to be in charge of the organisation’s major projects! So now, I always find opportunities to apply what I’ve learnt during the programme and it has certainly improved the way I handle things at work.

Q: So you feel that it worked for you because you are able to apply your knowledge immediately?

A: Frankly, I was contemplating on a full-time MBA. A full time programme allows me to focus on the programme without worrying about work, but there are pros and cons to this. When you study and work at the same time, you have to manage both however you’re ready to apply what you learnt the very next day. It’s a pity to go through all the coursework and not have the opportunity to apply it! So I apply practically what I learn and whenever I’m in class I also try to recall what I’m currently doing practically. It is interrelated and supports one another.

Q: What are your life goals?

A: That’s a good question! I often ask myself this question too. Now that I’m a CFO, I’ve already hit a “ceiling”, so what’s next? There are two ways – firstly, add more value the organisation because I would be making better decisions on their behalf; secondly, prepare myself for the future in case I move on to a different portfolio or decide to start a business.

Q: What are your motivating factors in life?

A: Job satisfaction. If I can achieve something that I set out to do it makes me happy and even more so if the task is challenging. Financial reward is not my motivating factor.

Q: You are quite a workaholic! Do you find it weird if you have an off day?

A: Yes! Even my colleagues have told me that I need to take a break.

Q: I can understand why the PMBA programme suits you. It feels like you just want to utilise Monday to Sunday to the fullest.

A: Of course I’d make sure that I have enough rest on the weekends. But at the same time, I also feel that I should be doing something to improve or enrich myself. Then I thought of the MBA. And when I saw that PMBA classes were on alternate weekends, it was perfect match for what I wanted.

Q: What are your core values?

A: Determination and continuous focus. I also believe in being impartial. For example, I give my colleagues equal treatment regardless of their designation. Everyone is valuable to the organisation.

Q: How do you see yourself in the next 10 to 20 years?

A: I envision myself to be a successful businesswoman someday. That was why I decided to start by studying finance because it is a key fundamental in any business. A good knowledge of finance does help you make better business decisions. I believe I’m on the right track.

Q: What would be your end goal?

A: I would really love to contribute back to my home country. There are a lot of less fortunate people in Myanmar and many places do not have proper schools. I would like to provide good education for them. I will either contribute financially or perhaps teach English.

Q: What would you say to prospective students who are considering the PMBA?

A: There needs to be a strong purpose for doing the programme. Working and studying at the same time is indeed challenging but rewarding. I think that if one wants to pursue this programme, it must be because it will help add value to their career and personal goals and not because he or she has free time to spare.

For more info on the Nanyang PMBA programme, pls visit our website.
Manager
Manager
Grand winner of Sasin Bangkok Business Challenge 2019!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 02:00
FROM Nanyang Admissions Blog: Grand winner of Sasin Bangkok Business Challenge 2019!
“As an entrepreneur, there should not be any limit to your imagination and dream” said Prof. Vijay Sethi in the first class of Entrepreneurship course. After Prof informed everyone about Bangkok challenge, Suryansh and Maneet reached out to me asking whether I was interested in participating Bangkok Business Challenge. Although I joined another group for class, I could not miss this opportunity. Additionally, I wanted to apply the theory taught in class into practical application. Since everyone was passionate about the competition, I was happy to be part of such team and contribute.

To provide brief background, the SCG Bangkok Business Challenge @ Sasin is Asia’s only global postgraduate start-up competition. Founded in 2002 by Sasin School of Management as the first such regional competition in Southeast Asia, SCG BBC is one of the longest running start-up competition in Asia and encourages students in postgraduate programs across the globe to become more entrepreneurial.

Combining our knowledge of operations, market research, information technology and product design, we formed the team. We realized the gaps in our team and scouted to find right team members to fill in finance as well as lead role. Assyl, who was also part of entrepreneurship class, joined our team as finance expert. Furthermore, we reached out to Araj who has extensive experience of scaling up and running business in Middle east. Our patent pending technology by NTU had multiple applications and we were really excited about what to commercialize. Through extensive research, we created business plan of providing non-invasive glucose monitoring devices for diabetes patients using our “GON” chip technology. Working on tight schedule, we submitted our “BetterLife Monitor” executive summary and 60 seconds pitch right before the deadline. 71 teams from 40 institutions representing 19 countries and 4 continents registered and submitted their business plan and only 19 teams were invited to Bangkok for semi-finals. Although we knew our product is revolutionary, we were pleasantly surprised and elated when we receive congratulatory email to participate further in challenge. What’s more rewarding was 2 teams from NTU made into 6 finalists.

What followed was long nights of preparations, arguments, market research and customer validation. Entrepreneurship module by Prof. Vijay helped us in refining our idea, creating detailed business plan, validating the plan in front of class and taking feedback from everyone. Our class presentation gave us necessary confidence and we were ready (or we thought so) for Bangkok.

The understanding between the team was impeccable and everyone was working with single vision. Assyl and Suryansh focussed their energy entirely on financials, which became one of the strongest part of our business plan. Araj was key to create our market and operations plan and used his extensive network to validate our plan. Maneet worked tirelessly to create product development cycle and researched about all regulatory requirements. I was involved with product design and how technology works as well as taking care of all design related activities. We were able to do all this in the most busiest month of our MBA journey.

Our team had unforgettable experience in Bangkok. The amount of learnings through constant feedback as well as learning from peers was amazing. As a team we grew tremendously and it turned out to be one of the best experience in Bangkok. All those sleepless nights and hard work paid off when our team “BetterLife” was adjudged as grand winner of Sasin Bangkok Business Challenge. This was definitely the highlight of our MBA journey. We were ecstatic and proud to represent Nanyang Business School on global platform, especially when this was the first time a team from Nanyang Technological University has won this prestigious award.

As we prepare for our next adventure at Rice Business Plan competition, we have come long way since we began. This was long and strenuous journey which would not have been possible without constant support and guidance by Prof. Vijay Sethi. We would also like to take this opportunity to thank our MBA cohort who helped us in refining our plan and listening to our presentations again and again. As an advice to upcoming cohort, we would strongly encourage to participate in such competitions in order to have true MBA experience and maximize your learnings.

Manager
Manager
Nanyang MBA participant partakes in MBA World Summit 2019  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2019, 02:00
FROM Nanyang Admissions Blog: Nanyang MBA participant partakes in MBA World Summit 2019
Article contributed by Marta Kucmierz, Class of 2019.

I was chosen to be a part of 6th MBA World Summit, organized by German company called QX Quarterly. This year MBA World Summit took place in Sydney and was co- hosed by the Australian Graduate School of Management at University of New South Wales- the continent’s top institution which actively contributes to its thriving economy. Previous summits took place in Hong Kong, Barcelona, Miami, Barcelona and Cape Town.

Selection process: First stage: CV submission and short answer to two questions. Second stage: 1-minute video submission on how Why should someone look forward to having YOU as their boss or leader?

Out of over 2000 applications, 100 most inspiring personalities from the worldwide leading business school were chosen for the program.

I had an amazing time at the summit. It offered more than I expected. The diversity of students was great: almost every one of them studied MBA abroad. Students came from top business schools including MIT, LBS, NUS, INSEAD, MC GILL, OXFORD, IE, etc. Everyone had a great story and was a high performer, so interaction was very inspiring. There were also local students from AGSM, so it was a great chance to make an Australian network. I met some great people and with some I will definitely stay in touch (some have already given me advices on job search and student exchange). A few of alumni actually found a job (at Henkel) or internship (at BASF) through summit network or the organizer.

One of the best parts of the summit was Summit Laboratory Sessions. We could pick 5 out of 20 to participate in. I took part in the following: “Rethinking money for a fairer economy”, “10 horror stories in the service industry”, “Exploring cross cultural management”, “Solving for the AHA moment”, “Redefining good business”. I particularly enjoyed the customer horror stories because it came from the speakers’ own entrepreneurship experience and the session was engaging (we had to introduce ourselves, describe our customer stories and work in group to find a better solution). Rethinking money was also very interesting because it was on topic that was gaining more importance in business world, that is social impact. The speaker was an entrepreneur himself and he was talking about his own insights. All the speakers were very professional, and it was impressive to see them presenting with so much confidence in front of a demanding audience.

There were also very interesting speeches given by local entrepreneurs (businesses engaging aboriginal communities) and leaders (former CEO of Facebook in Asia Pacific, founder of Sinorbis, CEO od Wise Tech). We also had a short case study session for one of the startups incubated at UNSW Michael Crouch Innovation Centre, called project Everest Ventures. It was a great chance to cooperate with other students.

Topics that were dominating in this summit were: social impact, social entrepreneurship, social investment, industry 4.0, job up skilling, tech, AI, age if Asia.

I think summit was well organized. We were given quite a high degree of independence and there was no compulsory attendance in any events. The organizers recognized that we were professionals and there was no necessity for supervision. That meant we had to organize our own transport to venues (Uber or walk- I think it will depend on the country the summit is in) and airport. The organizer set up the what’s app group before the event, so we could start interacting and making arrangements in advance. The event venues were outstanding: welcome reception at the Museum of Contemporary Arts, university conference rooms and farewell on a Harbour Bay cruise.

I also think that organizer wanted us to get cosy with each other because they arranged not only shared rooms, but also shared beds for participants! It definitely worked as we bonded well! Haha We also had a great time enjoying campus and Sydney nightlife.

Tips for future applicants:

You should invest time into creating the video. I think just a simple self-filmed with a very generic answer will not make you qualify. Try to think of something creative in terms of content or format. Maybe go out to a city and film it in front of Singapore landmark, engage your classmates or show what you are passionate about. If you have multinational experience, underline it as this is what the organizers look for.

As for the summit itself, if you have an interesting topic to share (either your area of interest from MBA curriculum that I research more deeply, start up or business you are working on, interesting past work experience), apply for SLS( there is also a voting for the best speaker so worth putting effort into). Of course, it should be related to business, but it doesn’t have to be just business: you could talk about time management or integrating sports into busy professional life (that was the topic I applied for, but I was too late- spots were already filled out). Giving a talk will give you greater exposure and it is a great practice for future business presentations. I think the best sessions were the ones that engaged others (as mentioned above).

Next MBA World Summit will take part in Frankfurt in March 2020. I highly encourage everyone to apply, especially that this is a home turf of the organizer so the summit should be even richer in content and you could benefit from some great networking (there should be more companies and sponsors involved and he venue is supposed to be very nice). Also, once you qualify, you are allowed to take part in the summit for life, so it’s a great source of new networks. Many of the students from this batch said that they would join, and I am also considering to. The company also offers yearly paid membership which allows to join to all of their global networking events.
Manager
Manager
Nanyang MBA’s debut in the 2019 Rice Business Plan Competition.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2019, 21:00
FROM Nanyang Admissions Blog: Nanyang MBA’s debut in the 2019 Rice Business Plan Competition.
Written By: Araj Mohandas

Team Members

Araj Mohandasan, Haridesh Sharma, Maneet Singh Ahuja, Suryansh Choudhury

Team Coach: Prof. Nick Pisalyaput (Sasin School of Management, Bangkok)

We are proud to be the first team to represent Nanyang at the Rice Business Plan Competition (RBPC) in Houston, Texas. With a prize pool of $2.5 Million, RBPC boasts to be the rickets graduate competition in the world. After our success as the champions of Asia, we were encouraged by our faculty advisor – Prof Vijay Sethi to apply to this prestigious competition. We did and made it to the global final rounds in Houston. Never has there been a more rewarding experience.

After a month of grueling coursework coupled with extensive preparation for the big world league, we made it to Houston for the competition being held between 4th and 6th of April 2019. Despite our already soaring expectations, we were awestruck at the meticulous planning, caliber of patriating teams and versatility of judges and mentors at our disposal. We were competing with Ivy league schools and presenting to fortune 500 company’s representatives.

We had the good fortune of receiving feedback even prior to the competition as RBPC connected us to a network of individuals. As we went into day 1 – practice round, we knew we had made it to a unique place. The feedback was all on point and our improvement over a day’s round was quite steep. I (Araj) had to go the extra mile that day as I went in to showcase my 60 second pitch for the opening competition. It was tough because there were over 400 people in the audience and considering I was one of the lasts ones to pitch, I knew how high the standards were. But I did well and was able to make a strong case in the limited time.

Second day was round 1, we were put in the life science group as we were a medical technology company. After our 30-minute presentation to a panel of over 20 glamorous judges, we as a team were content with the way we performed. We had a feedback session later in the noon, where we were given strong critical feedback, but also walked away content. Unfortunately, at the networking party that took place in the evening, we learnt we did not progress to the next round. However, the silver lining was that we met some exceptional people, exchanged a lot of business cards, garnered interest in our company and last but not the least – we still had a shot at the finals through the wildcard round the next day. We gathered ourselves and pulled another all nighter to prepare well for the wildcard incorporating all the feedback from the first round.

Day 3 – another day, another satisfactory performance. We had a few judges who were in from round 1 and they loved that we incorporated their suggestions. As we got into the final arena, we had to be prepared. If our names were called out, we had to immediately go and present in the massive auditorium again filled with 400 people. But we did not make it. As the afternoon progressed, we sat back and saw the finalists – the top 7 teams. After witnessing their presentations, our sentiment was not of disappointment. I can proudly say that we were a team to reckon with, our preparation was at par, what lacked was that we were still in early stages of product development and lost to the hands of people who either had a working product or a running business and there was no way to compete with that. But its not just us saying this, we were so happy to see the reception we got from the judges who kept reiterating how well prepared the team from Nanyang was.

The final event was a black-tie event – the gala night. Filled with performances, investments and prizes that went to strong businesses and major universities, we felt great just to be in a room and sharing a dinner table with the best and smartest minds in the world. With the reception, feedback and experience we obtained from all our peers and judges, we can safely say Team BetterLife walked out of there with our necks held high.

To find out more about the Nanyang MBA programme please visit our website

Manager
Manager
“Best value for money” – Nanyang MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2019, 21:00
FROM Nanyang Admissions Blog: “Best value for money” – Nanyang MBA
Charles Lu, Nanyang MBA, Class of 2019
Charles Lu had three letters in mind as his role as a jet engine production leader at Rolls-Royce drew to a close in 2018: MBA.

He joined the firm as an operations management trainee.  Having worked at the industrial technology company for more than two years, Lu, a Chinese national, realised that his work as an operations supervisor on the shop floor was not what he would like to do for the long term.

With the intention of exploring the wider business world in the future, Lu, who attained a first class bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering at Nanyang Technological University on a full scholarship, drew up a list of the top MBA programmes in Singapore.

After evaluating their merits, Lu applied to just one MBA school last year: the Nanyang Business School. The Nanyang MBA, says Lu, was the “best value for money” with the lowest opportunity cost because of its relatively short 12-month duration.

“I have witnessed the climbing rank and brand image of NTU, so I trusted Nanyang MBA and gave it a shot,” he says.

At the business school, it was “easier for everyone to really know each other and become friends for life” because there were just 87 people in Lu’s cohort. What he remembers most about NBS are the people and the activities they did together.

At the MBA Olympics, for instance, MBA students from various business schools in Singapore came together at NTU for friendly competitions to raise funds for charity. Lu recalls that his cohort won the top prize at the John Molson MBA international case competition in Canada. They also did well at the Bangkok Business Challenge and Amalgamation, a business case competition in Singapore.

Asked about his favourite modules and faculty members at NBS, Lu says: “Prof Abel Ang taught us in Life Science Boot Camp that greatly enhanced our interest and understanding on the pharmaceutical and life science industry.

“Prof Geoffrey Chua used his lively and vivid examples together with games and movies to make Operations an easier subject to understand.

“Prof Patrick Gibbons’s Competitive Strategy class is always oversubscribed, as most of us really like the way he teaches Harvard cases with an interactive approach, and prompting questions and jokes.”

Away from the campus, Lu’s business study mission took him and his classmates to Japan. There, they visited companies such as Nissan, Panasonic, EY, and Microsoft. The experience taught him about Japan’s work culture, including seating arrangements based on seniority and afterwork drinking.

Like his business study mission, a strategy project for Lu and his team of classmates had an international angle. They worked with a virtual hotel operator in Indonesia for six months to explore the budget hotel business segment in Southeast Asia.

“Our team of six delivered a deck of market assessment and intelligence, and presented to them (the client) in Jakarta. I have learned a lot about doing a consulting project through this school project,” Lu says.

Since attaining his MBA, Lu now works as a management consultant at A.T. Kearney alongside two friends. He says his job could be a great platform for him to apply what he has learnt at NBS and build up his professional network of contacts.

“Nanyang MBA has definitely built a strong business foundation for me with all the tools, frameworks and some industry insights and knowledge,” Lu says.

“I also have built a strong network with my cohort and some have become my friends for life. All these hard and soft skills and connections have given me more confidence to get into management consulting than one year ago when I just left Rolls-Royce.”

For more info on the full-time MBA programme, please visit http://MBA.nbs.ntu.edu.sg/ 
Manager
Manager
Nanyang MBA: A Career-Changing MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2019, 01:00
FROM Nanyang Admissions Blog: Nanyang MBA: A Career-Changing MBA
Charles Lu, Nanyang MBA, Class of 2019
Charles Lu had three letters in mind as his role as a jet engine production leader at Rolls-Royce drew to a close in 2018: MBA.

He joined the firm as an operations management trainee.  Having worked at the industrial technology company for more than two years, Lu, a Chinese national, realised that his work as an operations supervisor on the shop floor was not what he would like to do for the long term.

With the intention of exploring the wider business world in the future, Lu, who attained a first class bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering at Nanyang Technological University on a full scholarship, drew up a list of the top MBA programmes in Singapore.

After evaluating their merits, Lu applied to just one MBA school last year: the Nanyang Business School. The Nanyang MBA, says Lu, was the “best value for money” with the lowest opportunity cost because of its relatively short 12-month duration.

“I have witnessed the climbing rank and brand image of NTU, so I trusted Nanyang MBA and gave it a shot,” he says.

At the business school, it was “easier for everyone to really know each other and become friends for life” because there were just 87 people in Lu’s cohort. What he remembers most about NBS are the people and the activities they did together.

At the MBA Olympics, for instance, MBA students from various business schools in Singapore came together at NTU for friendly competitions to raise funds for charity. Lu recalls that his cohort won the top prize at the John Molson MBA international case competition in Canada. They also did well at the Bangkok Business Challenge and Amalgamation, a business case competition in Singapore.

Asked about his favourite modules and faculty members at NBS, Lu says: “Prof Abel Ang taught us in Life Science Boot Camp that greatly enhanced our interest and understanding on the pharmaceutical and life science industry.

“Prof Geoffrey Chua used his lively and vivid examples together with games and movies to make Operations an easier subject to understand.

“Prof Patrick Gibbons’s Competitive Strategy class is always oversubscribed, as most of us really like the way he teaches Harvard cases with an interactive approach, and prompting questions and jokes.”

Away from the campus, Lu’s business study mission took him and his classmates to Japan. There, they visited companies such as Nissan, Panasonic, EY, and Microsoft. The experience taught him about Japan’s work culture, including seating arrangements based on seniority and afterwork drinking.

Like his business study mission, a strategy project for Lu and his team of classmates had an international angle. They worked with a virtual hotel operator in Indonesia for six months to explore the budget hotel business segment in Southeast Asia.

“Our team of six delivered a deck of market assessment and intelligence, and presented to them (the client) in Jakarta. I have learned a lot about doing a consulting project through this school project,” Lu says.

Since attaining his MBA, Lu now works as a management consultant at A.T. Kearney alongside two friends. He says his job could be a great platform for him to apply what he has learnt at NBS and build up his professional network of contacts.

“Nanyang MBA has definitely built a strong business foundation for me with all the tools, frameworks and some industry insights and knowledge,” Lu says.

“I also have built a strong network with my cohort and some have become my friends for life. All these hard and soft skills and connections have given me more confidence to get into management consulting than one year ago when I just left Rolls-Royce.”

For more info on the full-time MBA programme, please visit http://MBA.nbs.ntu.edu.sg/ 
Manager
Manager
Nanyang MBA Orientation 2019  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 08:00
FROM Nanyang Admissions Blog: Nanyang MBA Orientation 2019
Article contributed by Shubham, Nanyang MBA Class of 2019.

Shubham (facing camera) in all smiles while playing the Reciprocity Ring.

“How would my classmates be?”

“What kind of academic environment would NTU provide?”

“Will I be a good social fit?”

Questions like these hound a student when he is embarking on a new academic journey. I was also one of them. Leaving a cushioned job in Japan to pursue an MBA in a new country, anxiety often creeped in.

Having heard a lot of things about the university and Singapore, it was difficult to keep a clear mind yet I tried. I believe that even though the path is same, everyone’s journey is different. So, I waited for NBS’s orientation programme to guide me through the layout of my MBA journey and meet some new co-travelers.

Set the ball rolling…

It started with registration on July 12 where the cohort was greeted with NBS Graduate Studies staff and a sumptuous lunch. Later, the on-boarding session started with Mr. Daren Kang, Deputy Director (Marketing and Admissions) and Ms. Vrinda Jalan, Manager (Marketing and Admissions) who metaphorically brought us out of the cacophony and made us meet our inner leader. That session was phenomenal and cleared the cloud on what we aspire to be.

FOCUS Adventure

The next morning, smartly dressed in Nanyang T-shirts, we reached Sentosa where we were welcomed by the cool oceanic breeze and the cordial staff of FOCUS Adventure.

We were seated in one of the main halls and demonstrated the Mexican wave, different kinds of handshakes through storytelling, the weirdest one being the Milking-a-Cow Handshake. During all of these handshakes, we were supposed to share our favourite with our counterpart and listen to theirs. This exercise was not only fun but also made us realize the similarity of preferences across the culture. I found two people who were interested in trying bungee jumping in New Zealand or Ramen in China.

Later, we were divided into two groups, one went for the Hourglass challenge where all the teams had to progressively complete tasks above ground level, while holding each other.

People with vertigo issues, anxiety etc. were all put together. So it became a bit more challenging. In team sports, more than the skills, it is the trust that takes you beyond the winning line. We had to practice it that day.

With a potpourri of emotions, we scaled up. We meandered our way through walking on high beams, swirling wooden logs, guy ropes and what not. In the end, the euphoria of reaching the top part of the structure erased the jitters. We were high, on life. I remember giving a bear hug to my fellow teammate with whom I had not interacted much so far.

In the second session, the teams were ranked based on distances of the tubes thrown.

Also, the most enervating yet fun activity was the boat racing. We had to boot-strap a boat out of the raw materials provided and race near the beach. Although my team finished at second place but we created fond memories.

While returning to the campus, we had the chance to watch the beautiful sunset from Sentosa.

Cultural presentation

The most awaited day finally arrived. All students were supposed to present the unique traits of their countries. For instance, Chinese students were clubbed together to showcase their wedding ceremonies and Lion dance. Indians displayed their dance and rapping fortes.

The students were also supposed to be dressed in their traditional attires to elevate the cultural significance of the event. Germans were clad in Dirndls, Indians in Kurtas and so on. The presentations were funny, engaging and involved gifts as well. While the Vietnamese talked about their traffic issues, the Canadians showcased the tourism specifically the Maple syrup industry. I was pleasantly surprised by my fellows from South Korea who performed a K-Pop song.

Being an Indian, the biggest cheer as well as banter was spared for my friend from Pakistan.

It was all in good humor. When the chance to present Indian culture arrived, a sense of responsibility germinated. We could not afford to ruin it. After some rapping with Bharat Natyam dance to table music, it ended on a high noteas we made everyone in the room dance to some Bollywood songs. As they say, Indians have two right feet. The prizes for the best presentations went to China and India.

The Orientation ended the next day with Graduate Participants’ Social Night where we interacted with participants from other Masters programmes (Fellows, Accountancy, etc.).

In retrospect, I am indebted to the NBS Graduate Studies team to organize the long yet engaging orientation for us. In the absence of this, the integration into NBS’s culture would not have been possible. At the end of the orientation, I forged indelible memories and friendships.

To learn more about our Nanyang MBA programme, please visit our website
Manager
Manager
An MBA That Resulted In Lifelong Lessons And Friendships  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2019, 03:00
FROM Nanyang Admissions Blog: An MBA That Resulted In Lifelong Lessons And Friendships
Natrada Limsupavanich Nanyang MBA, Class of 2018

When technology consultant Natrada Limsupavanich was considering where to pursue her MBA studies, she mounted a serious search to identify the ideal university.

She spoke to several friends and colleagues who had studied abroad for their MBA degrees and built up a comprehensive understanding of the kind of programme that would suit her future needs.

Given the growth of the regional economies, the Thai national wanted to focus on Southeast Asian businesses and economies. So a business school that offered a relevant programme and was also ideally located were key factors in her decision.

“if you are interested in China businesses and its economy, it would be beneficial to choose to study your MBA in China,” Natrada explains. “To me, Singapore is considered the region’s business hub , and it provides high-quality education and living standards.”

Another factor to consider was the diversity of the class. “My research showed that the MBA programme focuses on sharing experiences with classmates from various countries and industries, and learning about real-life business experiences from each other.”

After discussions with alumni from various MBA programmes, Natrada developed a clearer picture of what she hoped to achieve from the programme. “Beyond rankings, I realised that I would like to explore opportunities to work abroad in Asia. Therefore, the programmes in Singapore would be the right answer.

“And my good impression of the Nanyang Technological University MBA admission team and Experience Day were crucial in my decision. They suggested I apply for the early round of admission to secure the spot, and to attend Experience Day and interview on campus.”

On Experience Day, Natrada met and spoke with professors, current students and other candidates who eventually became her classmates.

“All these helped me confirm my decision to choose the Nanyang Business School.”

Life Lessons

“The most memorable thing I gained from the MBA programme at NTU is the lifelong friendships with my classmates,” recalls Natrada.

“We enjoyed the journey together as one collaborative batch; in classes, projects, competitions, and other activities. These strong connections make the investment in an MBA worthwhile.

“I remember during the orientation, a professor said that even though many of us were trying to find jobs in Singapore, the competition is not from within our batch, so we should help each other. I think this is the key message that helped our batch to collaborate and support each other till today.”

Natrada gained invaluable insights into cultural diversity and international business management from her classmates.

“During the MBA, we discussed many cases that helped us change our perspectives. Before we entered the programme, we might have some ideas of how the business or management should be, but during the programme we learned of other possibilities and options.

“We became more flexible and creative. For people who want to build their own businesses in the future, they got many ideas from the class and discussions during networking. For people who tend to be reserved, they learned to be more assertive. For people who are expressive, they learned to listen more.”

Natrada found her time at NTU made her more open-minded about cultural differences and the similarities she shared with her fellow Southeast Asian classmates.

This gave her the confidence to decide to move from Thailand to work in Singapore.

Immediately after graduating, she has secured a position as an executive with the Singapore e-commerce platform Shopee.

To learn more about our Nanyang MBA programme, please visit our website.
Manager
Manager
MBA participant’s experience in his application journey.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2019, 03:00
FROM Nanyang Admissions Blog: MBA participant’s experience in his application journey.
Article contributed by Shiladitya Ghose, Nanyang MBA, Class of 2020

3rd July, 2019 5:30 AM: I checked my watch from the corner of my left eye. We had been flying for a couple of hours and the first rays of the run were peeping through the half open window shades. Indigo 6E-51 crew from Chennai to Singapore had deemed me a single man capable of operating the plane’s door in case of an emergency and thus I had landed the emergency seat with extra legroom. I shifted to my left and pulled down the window shades. A beautiful velvety layer of clouds with hues of yellow and red greeted me – sunrise scenes on board were my favourite. On my right, a gentleman -around 50 years of age was snoring quietly, his spectacles placed delicately near the bottom of his rather stubby nose. There was nothing much to do, I shuffled my legs and turned my attention back to the brilliant display of colours outside.

Choosing the right Programme

My mind drifted to my MBA application journey which started in May 2018. Back then I was working as a Business Analyst in Sabre – one of the world’s major GDS (Global Distribution Systems) in Bangalore, India. A GMAT score of 730 seemed competitive but for a top b-school like NBS, one could never be sure. Singapore, being the gateway to the Asian marketplace and because of its close proximity to home was a natural choice.

Writing compelling essays

Thus started my application phase. I wanted to write my own essays without the help of admission consultants. While this did make it difficult to keep track of the deadlines and have the applications ready in time, it made the journey more enriching. In hindsight, this phase helped me answer a very important and pertinent question – Why MBA. Most B schools want you to list down 5 things – Why MBA? Why that specific program? What do you bring to the table? What are your long term and short-term goals? How can the programme help you realize your short- and long-term goals? My advice to applicants would be to figure out answers to these questions before you sit to down your essays. How do you write a compelling essay? Study the program in detail. Start with the website and dig deeper: find out about the curriculum- does any course or a list of courses interest you? Is it a 1 year or a 2-year program? Then check the class profile for the previous year and placement statistics: what percentage of students were placed in the industry you are targeting? If you want to work in a particular country post MBA, check the relevant statistics. You might also want to try to get in touch with the heads of the student bodies through LinkedIn for additional information. Also look out for any QS events that happen in your vicinity. They give you an excellent opportunity to meet the AdCom. You get fresh insights that can be very helpful in writing your essays. I reached out to several NBS alumni who were only too happy to help – I am grateful to them for taking time out of their busy schedules; I finally submitted my application in October. The NBS application window for AY 2020/2021 commences on August 31, 2019. Watch out!

Getting the interview call

I received the invite for the interview in about 2 weeks’ time. I had followed up with the NBS Admissions Committee and had my fingers crossed. Receiving the interview call was first step to landing myself a seat in one of the top 30 programs in the world. While I did have an option to interview over Skype, I felt flying to Mumbai was a better choice. The Admissions Committee was then touring India for various QS events and I was overjoyed at the idea of getting the opportunity to meet them in person. My interview was scheduled on 1st December.

Sweaty hands and nervous smiles

I was a bit pensive before the interview. Other b-school interviews had gone along expected lines. I had read debriefs of a few alumni and most predicted a few questions on the Asian market and macro-economics. Coming from an engineering background, I had received no formal education in this field and had my fingers crossed.

I arrived at my interview location in Mumbai 30 minutes before schedule. This gave me an opportunity to meet Kenny, the programme manager from the Adcom. Kenny and I immediately hit it off – in those 30 minutes we ended up talking about our mutual love for photography, food and travel. In fact, when I sat on other side of the table during the actual interview, all the nervousness had vanished. Thomas Seet and Prof. Teck Min Choo were my other interviewers. The first part of the interview went on like a breeze – a heart to heart conversation of sorts. Asian B-schools operate in an extremely competitive job market and thus they try to make sure that your short-term goals are clear and aligned with those of the programme. In other words, the admissions committee wants to ensure that there is job market available for the kind of work profile or function that you are seeking post MBA. I was quizzed on my post MBA goals, previous work experience and my hobbies. I must admit I had my foot in my mouth when I was asked to compare the Indian and Chinese economies; completely foxed, I mumbled unconvincingly! I felt that I would be dinged given my answer and was horribly cross with myself for not having focused enough on the “Asian related questions” as my seniors had advised. I returned to Bangalore the same day – dejected.

Admit Day!

I got my admit letter on the 7th December at 1: 52 PM. No, I did not need to check my Gmail for the timestamp – I have it committed to memory. This is what it meant to me. I read and re-read the first sentence:

Congratulations!

I am very pleased to inform you that you have been offered a place in the Nanyang MBA class starting July 2019 at Nanyang Business School, Singapore.

It is hard to describe to my feelings at that time: Sheer joy, elation…

I had dozed off and was woken by the kind crew asking me to fill up the Singapore immigration form. It was 9 AM on my watch- still set to India time. 15 minutes more to land- the first officer announced. Smiling to myself – I took my pen out and started filling out the details. I had met a few amazing people in the last few hours – my would-be classmates who were on the same flight. As the plane swerved left to align with the runway before final descent, I said a quick prayer- a “thank you” for the all moments – highs and lows that had all built up to this very moment.

A month into the programme I have every reason to believe I had made the right choice.

To learn more about our Nanyang MBA programme, please visit our website.
GMAT Club Bot
MBA participant’s experience in his application journey.   [#permalink] 15 Aug 2019, 03:00

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 75 posts ] 

Nanyang MBA Admissions and Related Blogs

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: GmatDaddy